• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

I hope there aren't moments in the following films where they obviously gimp force use. In previous movies and in TCW. I hate it when the most powerful of force users just forget they can use the force to solve a problem. Bad guy running away on foot? I'm gonna run after him like I forgot I can grab people with the force. Mad scientist tosses a virus container? Imma try and barely catch it by hand while he gets away because I plum forgot I can simply force pull objects toward me. Someone is hiding in a dark cavern... I'll just fumble around like an idiot because it's not like I can use the force to sense where they are.

Meanwhile Dooku gets the drop on 2 armed opponents. He simultaneously lifts one while force choking him and makes him draw his blaster to fire it at the second guy. Yoda also fucking embarrasses Asajj Ventress by turning off both her sabers and pulling them from her hands with only the force. She has no hope of fighting Yoda but she can take on both Anakin and Obi Wan at the same time like it ain't no thing...

This is the kind of stuff that really takes me out of Star Wars and I'm crossing my fingers that it's kept to a minimum in the new trilogy.

It could absolutely be shown better, but the way I look at it is that using the Force mid battle requires immense concentration that could leave you vulnerable not only to other Force attacks, but also plain physical attacks if you end up exhausted. So that's why most Force attacks in those battles are used when the opponent's guard is down or when the user is being overwhelmed. Almost every lightsaber battle in Rebels starts off (literally starts off) with Ezra being Force pushed out of the way because he doesn't have his guard up.

By that token, it makes sense for Yoda to be confident enough in his Force abilities to downright embarrass anyone, especially Ventress.

Its my third favorite. I rather like New Hope and how amateurish it is. Empire of Course is perfect. Jedi kind of sucks, other than the Luke death star stuff.

Aselith

Not everyone is going to be as nuanced as the people that are regulars in this thread. So either let the post go, and let people have their opinions (even if you find it shitty.) Or don't just shut them down with what is essential a dismissive shit post. If you really care, then state why you think they are wrong.

Why shouldn't he be challenged on a controversial opinion? It's a discussion board and he hasn't explained himself well enough to go beyond a troll. He can leave it as is and let it be that or come back and go deeper.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Finally saw this yesterday, thankfully nothing had been spoiled for me.

Man, how disappointing was Phasma.
The character's actions didn't make any sense and was near invisible otherwise. I thought she was going to play a much bigger role.
Maybe deleted scenes?

I cant love the ignorant.

One of my problems was that kanjiclan scene was a waste of talent. How do you cast the those badass actors and not have them display a little something. Especially when the kanjiclan are fighters.

But...nah Im the crazy one for thinking that.

I still loved the movie. But to say it was perfect.

Cmon son.

Lol, not perfect at all. It needed to be at least 20 minutes longer and tried to respect how space works just a little.

Red Devil

The character's actions didn't make any sense and was near invisible otherwise. I thought she was going to play a much bigger role.
Maybe deleted scenes?

She'll appear in the sequel so there's that. I'm not expecting much however.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Waking up each morning to the trumpets of Kylo Rens theme

Holy shit, I have never been this hyped for university

Platy

Finaly saw the movie and went to see other peoples opinions and discussing the movie and I am rightfully introduced to the world of "everything Rey was done is shit and every other character is awesome"

To the point a "read most of the expanded universe" fan said to me that the mind trick without hands is BLASPHEMOUS but Kylo "not fully trained" Ren stopping a blaster middair and holding it there even minutes after he moved his hands is totaly ok, even if not even jumper Yoda managed to do anything close to it =P

TyrantII

Finaly saw the movie and went to see other peoples opinions and discussing the movie and I am rightfully introduced to the world of "everything Rey was done is shit and every other character is awesome"

To the point a "read most of the expanded universe" fan said to me that the mind trick without hands is BLASPHEMOUS but Kylo "not fully trained" Ren stopping a blaster middair and holding it there even minutes after he moved his hands is totaly ok, even if not even jumper Yoda managed to do anything close to it =P

Yeah. Don't do that.

That's impressive.

By now people just openly talk about Han Solo dying in a bunch of places since so many people have seen the movie.

I watched the movie on Jan.1 and I didn't know about that (even if I highly suspected that something was gonna happen when Solo crossed the bridge to meet his son)

How I did? So easy, I dont use Facebook :D

televator

Behind Empire Strikes Back, yep.
You're goddamn right.

It could absolutely be shown better, but the way I look at it is that using the Force mid battle requires immense concentration that could leave you vulnerable not only to other Force attacks, but also plain physical attacks if you end up exhausted. So that's why most Force attacks in those battles are used when the opponent's guard is down or when the user is being overwhelmed. Almost every lightsaber battle in Rebels starts off (literally starts off) with Ezra being Force pushed out of the way because he doesn't have his guard up.

By that token, it makes sense for Yoda to be confident enough in his Force abilities to downright embarrass anyone, especially Ventress.

I've come across that explanation in my own head, but then I seen things like:

Anakin and Ahsoka jumping off a hundred foot wall and breaking the fall with the force... Next episode we see Ahsoka in a similarly urgent situation in the same battle manually climbing down a canyon like she's got plenty of time.

I understand Yoda should embarrass Ventress, but her taking 2 other notoriously capable Jedi at the same time just ain't working for me. I mean sure, she could put up a good fight 1 on 1 with either of them while she uses her dirty tricks, but surely taking on these 2 particular Jedi has to be well over her depth.

Anyway, as you say, they can do better.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

Maybe deleted scenes?

Phasma was nonsense. She was supposed to be a high ranking First Order soldier, but nothing in her actions made her so. Putting her in the fight with Finn instead of the batontrooper would've easily remedied this, it would also have given some weight to the later scene where they force her to lower the shields.
The only thing that made her stand out was the chrome uniform.

Phasma was nonsense. She was supposed to be a high ranking First Order soldier, but nothing in her actions made her so. Putting her in the fight with Finn instead of the batontrooper would've easily remedied this, it would also have given some weight to the later scene where they force her to lower the shields.

Wow that's actually a really good idea.

Hopefully she'll live up to what we expected in the next film.

And then die like Fett in the final one.

RobbieNick

Saw it again for the second time the other day with my sister who took two weeks before finally going out to see the movie. It's now her second favorite behind the original.

I was expecting her to cry when Han Solo died because that was her favorite character. Instead, she was more like " Awww Man! Bummer!"

For some reason, the sound was better in this small theater I saw the movie in vs. when I went to opening night 12/17.

She thinks Kylo Ren is an ineffective villain because his hood and robes looked like they were made with a soft material. "He should have worn leather."

I recommend checking out Star Wars: The Force Awakens Visual Dictionary. Yeah, it's technically a kids book, but it covers a lot of details that the movie doesn't tell you. For instance...

Kylo Ren's lightsaber is powered by a cracked kyber crystal. So the crossguards are there more to fluctuate the power than anything else.

Maz Kanata does have force abilities, but chose to be a pirate rather than a Jedi and she tends to keep her force abilities under wraps.

Falk

that puzzling face
How I did? So easy, I dont use Facebook :D

Twitter is far higher on the danger scale nowadays, I think.

I got spoiled, shrugged, started removing/unfollowing/etc. people. After the first time, subsequent idiots listing out stuff as bullet points made for a great barometer for stupidity. Snip snip. Not that I really care, but in the end it's a bunch of people who aren't going to ever post anything worth my time anyway, so no big loss.

I was half looking forward to the movie, and half looking forward to the JW score. And you can't really spoil music on social media. Hah, take that, suckers.

was my first thought when i saw her. should have had her get shot by chewie's bowcaster and shrug it off because of her special armor.

was my first thought when i saw her. should have had her get shot by chewie's bowcaster and shrug it off because of her special armor.
She's sequel bait. Watch as Phasma comes back as a disgraced bounty hunter out for revenge on Finn.

They can remold her toy and sell it again.

Alx

Phasma was nonsense. She was supposed to be a high ranking First Order soldier.

She was ? The fact that she was wearing a regular trooper outfit, only shinier, made me assume she was a lower ranked officer, like a corporal or sergeant. Wasn't she directly in charge of the "grunts" during the first assault, asking Finn to do some disciplinary stuff ?

She's sequel bait. Watch as Phasma comes back as a disgraced bounty hunter out for revenge on Finn.

They can remold her toy and sell it again.

Would still have more weight if they actually fought.

This is the part where Lucas goes and edits Phasma into that scene

And then Tumblr starts the Phasma x Finn rivalry ship

FeD.nL

She was ? The fact that she was wearing a regular trooper outfit, only shinier, made me assume she was a lower ranked officer, like a corporal or sergeant. Wasn't she directly in charge of the "grunts" during the first assault, asking Finn to do some disciplinary stuff ?

In the visual dictionary they actually mention her as 'the third partner in the unofficial command triumvirate of the Starkiller operation, alongside Kylo Ren and General Hux'.

It's really disappointing that she had such a lacklustre first showing, though I did find that Gwendoline looked really stiff in the suit when she was was talking to Finn.

televator

Lucas would do those edits with god awful digital shifts. I still find it astounding that he did that with the solo/greedo scene. The only creator who I've seen to consciously ruin his work. Like taking a painting and rubbing shit on it.

I think she's meant to be in charge of the ground troops, but obviously she reports to General Hux.

Chuckie

Well she is Captain Phasma, so that seems to be her rank. If sergeant wore that uniform, you'd see a lot more walking around.

Interesting fact:

The rank of captain is generally considered to be the highest rank a soldier can achieve while remaining in the field.

Alx

To be honest I came to the movie without any information on the new characters, and I'm not even sure her name and rank were clearly stated during the movie, for me she was "the shiny trooper" all along.
I'm also very bad at knowing military ranks, I even had to look up corporal and sergeant for my post above (although I then remembered those from episodes of Zorro :D )

*edit- but then from what I read, captain isn't that high either. Not headquarter-high anyway.

Brakke

Banned
They definitely refer to her as "Captain Phasma" in the movie.

"Captain" is tricky because it's a higher rank in Navy vs Army and also "Captain" can designate title, not rank, for anyone commanding a vessel. In any case, she reports directly to Hux and she has authorization to turn off the shields, so she's clearly up there.

Falk

that puzzling face
There's also a lot more to the shield deactivation shenanigans in the novel but not the movie. She takes a lot more convincing, then does it because she's sure it'll just get turned back on somewhere else on the base.

Which happens, but Poe manages to exit hyperspace within the shield just in time.

I cant love the ignorant.

One of my problems was that kanjiclan scene was a waste of talent. How do you cast the those badass actors and not have them display a little something. Especially when the kanjiclan are fighters.

But...nah Im the crazy one for thinking that.

I still loved the movie. But to say it was perfect.

Cmon son.

BTW, do we know who played TR-8R?

Chuckie

*edit- but then from what I read, captain isn't that high either. Not headquarter-high anyway.

Depends if she would be considered navy or army.

It makes more sense from an army perspective in this case. She is the highest ranking officer on the battlefield itself. That would explain her special uniform a bit too.
It would also explain her reporting to higher officers. Although in a real case scenario that would probably be a colonel or something, not the highest ranking officer of the whole army.

It does not explain why she would have the authority to turn off the shields though.

However this is a fantasy movie. So I guess she is just 'head of all the stormtroopers and they chose the rank Captain because it sounded cool and/or because it usually is the highest rank still actually in the field of battle.

Corporals and Sergeants aren't officers. Since the Empire/First Order's military is primarily a fleet akin to a space Navy, and since she answers directly to General Hux(Shouldn't that be admiral?) I'd say she's probably the equivalent to a Naval Captain (Colonel in the Army/Marines.)

Chuckie

Corporals and Sergeants aren't officers. Since the Empire/First Order's military is primarily a fleet akin to a space Navy, and since she answers directly to General Hux(Shouldn't that be admiral?) I'd say she's probably the equivalent to a Naval Captain (Colonel in the Army/Marines.)

It seems while the Empire had Naval ranks, Captain Piet became Admiral Piet if I am remembering correctly, it doesn't seem she is part of the Navy. Stormtroopers seem army to me. She definitely doesn't seem to be a naval captain like the ones we saw in the OT.

Also I think the Clone Troopers had Captains. So she could be something like that.

Iceternal

I'd be curious to know if Kylo Ren merchandise sales have plummeted after the movie was released considering the negative feedback he seems to be getting.

I like that they tried to create a conflicted, deeper villain but I think it backfired on Disney. So many people complain that he lost all his charisma when he removed the mask.

Johndoey

Banned

We already started the Finn/Phasma shipping.

There's also a lot more to the shield deactivation shenanigans in the novel but not the movie. She takes a lot more convincing, then does it because she's sure it'll just get turned back on somewhere else on the base.

Which happens, but Poe manages to exit hyperspace within the shield just in time.
This is kinda why I usually prefer novelizations, this sounds way better than how it went down in the movie.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Holy fucking shit at these High resolution TFA screens.

1mY8jwC.jpg

cW4w67M.jpg

DA6kCaE.jpg

8nDaxOl.jpg

Yoshichan

This is one of the few titles that I really feel 'wow, I can't believe I'm actually going to be able to buy a physical version of and re-watch infinite amounts of times without having to spend $20 each time for a ticket.

I'd be curious to know if Kylo Ren merchandise sales have plummeted after the movie was released considering the negative feedback he seems to be getting.

I like that they tried to create a conflicted, deeper villain but I think it backfired on Disney. So many people complain that he lost all his charisma when he removed the mask.

I think the problem might be because -- without knowing why he turned to the dark side -- he kin of comes off as whiny.

Yoshichan

False in every way. In Sweden at least, the hype for Kylo is more than any other characters. During Christmas, every store that sold toys had Kylo out of stock while Finn, Han Solo, Darth Vader, Maul (lol) were fully in stock. I even asked Mediamarkt (one of the biggest electronic shops) if they had Kylo in, he pretty much lol'd, telling me that it sold out pretty much asap.

bomma_man

Crazy to see so many people fail to realise that that was the point. He was easily the most interesting character in the movie, and one of the elements that felt truely novel. Kylo highlights just how shittily Lucas handled Anakin.

Yoshichan

Oh and I might as well share my Maul/Vader experience while looking for Kylo Ren as well during Christmas...

jMIDa7W.jpg

CXEh8iVWYAA_526.jpg

CXUWKfdUEAEEwme.jpg

Chuckie

Really? All the people I know who saw the movie loved his character...especially because he was some unstable whiny adolescent. The merchandise seems to be doing great too.

I think it's kinda like skylanders
Darth Maul is the edgiest mofo out there so it would make sense he's popular with kids I guess
Vader well... he's Vader

Top Bottom