• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Chuckie

ohh is this that disney infinity stuff? i have never seen it before i think

Some of them are awesome (IMO)

rey-disney-infinity-figure.jpg

Iceternal

False in every way. In Sweden at least
, the hype for Kylo is more than any other characters. During Christmas, every store that sold toys had Kylo out of stock while Finn, Han Solo, Darth Vader, Maul (lol) were fully in stock. I even asked Mediamarkt (one of the biggest electronic shops) if they had Kylo in, he pretty much lol'd, telling me that it sold out pretty much asap.

lol you say false in every way ... then in Sweden...

But judging from different forums and persons I've talked to IRL, the two things that come back the most are "it's a rehash of episode IV" and "Kylo Ren sucks, he's weak and became lame after he removed the mask".

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

But judging from different forums and persons I've talked to IRL, the two things that come back the most are "it's a rehash of episode IV" and "Kylo Ren sucks, he's weak and became lame after he removed the mask".

Stop visiting shit forums. Also, "persons" don't mean jack shit.

They say its a rehash, but they want kylo ren to be Vader? I think they are missing the point of Rens character.

Halcyon

I'm imagining he's sitting on a bench at the mall looking at a group of teenagers standing in front of Hot Topic. Maybe they're constantly fidgeting with their fingerless gloves, when a middle aged woman leaves with a Kylo Ren Pop Figure. This causes nothing but smirks from the group as they collectively roll their eyes and mention how much of a wuss Kylo is. He shifts nervously on the bench in agreement, raises a finger and mumbles "i agree". Nobody hears him.

The Chef

Mmm, I work with a lot of people every day at work and I've never heard that complaint about Kylo or the movie. Only overwhelming praise and "When are you going to see it again?" sort of thing.

Yeah pretty much.

Iceternal

I'm imagining he's sitting on a bench at the mall looking at a group of teenagers standing in front of Hot Topic. Maybe they're constantly fidgeting with their fingerless gloves, when a middle aged woman leaves with a Kylo Ren Pop Figure. This causes nothing but smirks from the group as they collectively roll their eyes and mention how much of a wuss Kylo is. He shifts nervously on the bench in agreement, raises a finger and mumbles "i agree". Nobody hears him.

Except I do like Kylo Ren ... but you guys are delusional if you don't see the many complaints about him.

Corporals and Sergeants aren't officers. Since the Empire/First Order's military is primarily a fleet akin to a space Navy, and since she answers directly to General Hux(Shouldn't that be admiral?) I'd say she's probably the equivalent to a Naval Captain (Colonel in the Army/Marines.)

But Hux is leader of a military base, so it makes sense that he's a general and not an admiral.

I'd be curious to know if Kylo Ren merchandise sales have plummeted after the movie was released considering the negative feedback he seems to be getting.

I like that they tried to create a conflicted, deeper villain but I think it backfired on Disney. So many people complain that he lost all his charisma when he removed the mask.

I know, but it's certainly not an uncommon issue. I've heard/read it too many times to not be a concern.

So these people just want him to be a straight retread of Vader? He's an interesting and conflicted character who already has far, far more depth than Vader did at a similar point in time. I think and hope he will grow to be a very powerful enemy, and I'd like to see his character have an arc. I want him to change from being immature and unsure of his powers to a completely badass and relentless Sith Lord.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
and I'd like to see his character have an arc. I want him to change from being immature and unsure of his powers to a completely badass and relentless Sith Lord.

I think that will almost happen but he'll turn back to the Light side and redeem himself.
He'll also die in the process ala Vader.

JayTapp

I'd be curious to know if Kylo Ren merchandise sales have plummeted after the movie was released considering the negative feedback he seems to be getting.

I like that they tried to create a conflicted, deeper villain but I think it backfired on Disney. So many people complain that he lost all his charisma when he removed the mask.

Negative review by whom?

Pretty much every serious review praised the character as being one of the best written/acted vilain they've seen since a while.

Angel_DvA

Kylo Ren is the best character of the movie for me, way better than Grevious, Dokku etc... I hope he'll get even better with the sequel, more bad ass, more evil, more everything.

Iceternal

Negative review by whom?

Pretty much every serious review praised the character as being one of the best written/acted vilain they've seen since a while.

In France at least, I seem to be the only person who liked him.

But go read theforce.net for example and all the people who call him an angsty emo teen. Even here on Gaf !

The Chef

In France at least, I seem to be the only person who liked him.

But go read theforce.net for example and all the people who call him an angsty emo teen. Even here on Gaf !

Its a meme dude.
There is even a meme on "Lonely Luke" too.

These overwhelmingly negative reviews you speak of that everyone in France have, and it potentially effecting sales of toys is truly unbelievably crazy town.

Interfectum

I think they fully planned on Kylo being a divisive character. They had no plans to create a "Darth Vader" for this movie and knew there would be blowback the second he took off his mask.

Iceternal

Its a meme dude.
There is even a meme on "Lonely Luke" too.

These overwhelmingly negative reviews you speak of being so high that it effects sales of toys is truly unbelievably crazy town.

Well, I'm not the first person who said that. I even listened to some podcasters who thought he was the worst Star Wars villain ever (SMH .... ) and that he was apparently poorly received by the audiance and he even wondered if it would cause Disney to change their plans about him and put him in the background.

Interfectum

Well, I'm not the first person who said that. I even listened to some podcasters who thought he was the worst Star Wars villain ever (SMH .... ) and that he was apparently poorly received by the audiance and he even wondered if it would cause Disney to change their plans about him and put him in the background.

lol wut

Kylo is basically the main character of this new trilogy. He's going to get even more screen time coming up.

ObiDin

I guess I understand that some people wouldn't like the villain to be young or not fully trained. But, everyone I have seen the movie with and talked with about the movie loves Ren. He is essentially what Anakin in the prequels should have been.

Both my 8 year old and 6 year old nephews wanted to be Kylo as soon as the movie ended.

The Chef

Oh shoot, some podcasters said he was terrible?
Well color me convinced then!

TyrantII

Except I do like Kylo Ren ... but you guys are delusional if you don't see the many complaints about him.

Someone complaining on the internet? Why I never!...

It's just people trying to be edgy and bring in clicks. While I'm not sure I was sold on his performance in a few scenes, the chericter is pretty awesomely conflicted, and that's good.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I haven't met yet anybody IRL who said they didn't like Kylo. I guess being edgy doesn't pay that well outside internet and school.

Speaking of real life, I was shocked when my cousin called me yesterday evening telling me that he and his girlfriend saw the movie on 1st of January and they were discussing (3 days after) if Rey is Luke's daughter or not, so he wanted also my opinion on that. To put this in context, we almost never discuss about movies beyond "have you seen this or that?". Also he very rarely goes to the cinema to see a movie. JJ has created a monster.

Interfectum

I haven't met yet anybody IRL who said they didn't like Kylo. I guess being edgy doesn't pay that well outside internet and school.

Speaking of real life, I was shocked when my cousin called me yesterday evening telling me that he and his girlfriend saw the movie on 1st of January and they were discussing (3 days after) if Rey is Luke's daughter or not so he wanted to ask about my opinion on that too. To put this in context, we almost never discuss about movies beyond "have you seen this or that?". Also he very rarely goes to cinema to see a movie. JJ has created a monster.

I rarely go to cinema anymore to see a movie (have a good setup at home) but I've seen Star Wars twice. My wife, who wasn't a SW fan at all before this movie, has been watching the old Star Wars movies (same thing goes for my 21 year old female cousin).

Shit is crazy.

If you're gonna keep saying this (even reiterating someone else's opinion) we're going to need to see some receipts. Because everything I've read about Kylo Ren including the 4-5 people I've spoken to about the film has been pretty positive about the film, and in particular the main four new characters.

Sephzilla

Kylo Ren is the best character of the movie for me, way better than Grevious, Dokku etc... I hope he'll get even better with the sequel, more bad ass, more evil, more everything.

Kylo Ren is leagues ahead of any of the prequel villains and to be quite honest he's way ahead of A New Hope Darth Vader as well.

Turin

Banned
I just saw the movie and yeah, Kylo's pretty interesting. I guess some people just want their dark wraithy ultimate badass at every turn. I like that too but too much of that would get boring.

I do love Maul for all of the aesthetic reasons. Speaking strictly about the movies, he's the ultimate tease.

DrArchon

That shot seemed like such a shoe in. It wasn't even dusk when that happened.

Oh, it made no sense whatsoever but it looked amazing so it did its job.

Also, seeing as everyone's talking about Kylo, I'll trow in my two cents and say that Kylo was easily my favorite movie villain in last couple of years. Easily better than every prequel villain and better than almost every Marvel villain.

Top Bottom