• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

90sRobots

How is Rey able to be so good with a lightsaber and fighting off mind tricks with no training. sure she knew how to use a weapon (her staff) but she worked Kylo Ren

her midichlorian count must be off da chains

Luke was a tittybaby. Anyone can do that shit.

Sou Da

Son of Dathomir spoilers:

Sidious was using Maul to get to Mother Talzin, who he considered his true rival. He purposefully lets him escape from captivity knowing that he will try to find a way to revive Talzin, and he does by kidnapping Dooku and letting Talzin's ethereal form sap the life force out of him and use it to reform her physical body. Then Sidious and Grievous show up and kill her, removing the threat to the Sith. Maul gets away but Sidious tells Dooku to not bother chasing him because he's worthless now and has no support base since the Shadow Collective falls apart. Presumably, Maul would have tried to return to Mandalore and gotten killed during the siege that is mentioned in Rebels.
It's canon that Maul was clowned on for eternity by Palpy.

I think its really cool female representation has improved alot in TFA and recent cartoons, but, that was far from the worst flaw on the PT, for example. i see it more as an improvment and less correcting one glaring flaw, if that makes sense, what matters is not how many women there are but also how important and well written they are, the execution.

PT was even worse than the OT, it was basically the same number of important characters: 1 but in the PT instead of a Leia we got a character whose sole purpose was to marry an unstable kid and die from a broken heart so he could go evil.

OT had Leia and nothing else of note, PT had Padme and nothing else of note

It's impressive when you actually can be worse than OT women representation.

It's why Rey is such a fucking huge deal to many.

Ozium

Whenever I hear people talking about "The Clone Wars Cartoon" I immediately think of Genndy Tartakovsky's TCW and those are badass... but no one ever talks about those..

Instead, they talk about the Dreamworks level CGI one and I find myself wondering why

Whenever I hear people talking about "The Clone Wars Cartoon" I immediately think of Genndy Tartakovsky's TCW and those are badass... but no one ever talks about those..

Instead, they talk about the Dreamworks level CGI one and I find myself wondering why

Same

Arthea

I actually never watched, but it was mentioned couple of times in the previous thread I think.
Should I? Is it really good or are you being your playful self?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Have you ever gave it a shot? There's some real shitty episodes but there's also a ton of great arcs.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Pod racing being the best thing from PT makes me appreciate PT for what it really is. A Fast and Furious spin-off in the SW universe.

Dead

well not really...yet

Because one is a short spinoff with nothing of import besides flashy action and may not even be canon anymore

While the other is a 100+ episode canon series that actually develops the conflict and the characters and does more to develop the prequel era than the actual movies.

Ozium

I actually never watched, but it was mentioned couple of times in previous thread I think.
Should I? Is it really good or are you being your playful self?

they are good.. season 1 is more short little vignettes while season 2 is like a full story but they are awesome and yoda is badass

sphagnum

Banned

People talk about Clone Wars (no "the") all the time, especially in the contexts of "I liked this Clone Wars better than that Clone Wars!" or "Remember when General Grievous was actually a bad ass!?"

The two are very different but both are quality. Genndy's Clone Wars was short on plot but high on stylized action. TCW's action isn't as good and some people can't get past the art style but it deepens and fleshes out the characters, especially the clones themselves, from the prequels and makes the era much more enjoyable. Plus it gave us Ahsoka.

Sou Da

Because the Anakin in this series actually feels like the Anakin spoken of in ANH.

Also you're not completely off base with the Dreamworks shot, the series does reach movie level cgi and variety.

EDIT: The movie does nothing well but introduce the characters.

televator

Clone Wars and The Clone Wars

CW is Genndy's joint. TCW is canon and the other isn't.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I watched the theatrical release and it was awful

no desire to watch the show after that dreck

That's kind of like saying you watched episode I so you never watched any other movie. The movie and most of season 1 is pretty shitty but it gets super good later on.

Everyone universally dislikes the movie or at best considers it mediocre. The show is better.

Not everyone.

Because there are stories and characters and not just a bunch of mindless, over-exaggerated action. Which is awesome, but not something with much to talk about beyond acknowledging that it is awesome, over the top action. It also isn't canon anymore.

I wish the Chancellor episodes were somehow contextualized beyond that show though. Shaak Ti killed it.

sphagnum

Banned
I am on season 1 episode 4 right now for TCW. So when does it get good?

Most people say season 3 is when it hits its stride. I think, personally, season 2 is when it gets good and season 3 was kind of disjointed.

But it does, generally speaking, get better as it goes in, with some bumps along the way.

Johndoey

Banned
People talk about Clone Wars (no "the") all the time, especially in the contexts of "I liked this Clone Wars better than that Clone Wars!" or "Remember when General Grievous was actually a bad ass!?"

The two are very different but both are quality. Genndy's Clone Wars was short on plot but high on stylized action. TCW's action isn't as good and some people can't get past the art style but it deepens and fleshes out the characters, especially the clones themselves, from the prequels and makes the era much more enjoyable. Plus it gave us Ahsoka.

Genndy Star Wars is especially good if you prefer the more super-hero style force users. But yeah unlike a lot of people I was into TCW from episode 1 all the way through.

Episode I is good tho

tumblr_inline_mny5zjMXHW1qz4rgp.gif

Arthea

That's kind of like saying you watched episode I so you never watched any other movie. The movie and most of season 1 is pretty shitty but it gets super good later on.

I respectfully disagree, I'm at season 5 now and it never got really good, there were better parts, true but most of it is just plain boring not to mention looks bad.

I know it's a blasphemy but I don't care is it canon or not, I want it to be good, watchable and fun, what TCW are not, imo.

Yea that was his only claim to fame. He's unfortunately been reduced to a running gag on TCW, although not without some badass moments.

Africanus

One of the worst sins of Episode I is not providing a motive to care about those sweet Naboo starfighters.

I mean really, you don't know the name of a single pilot, when one dies it isn't tragic as it is random. Anakin isn't old enough to comprehend his actions and actively participate. They really could have had a neat mini-Death Star scene if they wanted to.

Although, because of it, I always laugh whenever Anakin/Darth Vader spins in a starcraft/fighter because it makes me think he legit thinks its a neat trick.

the movies aren't even the best Star Wars content though so

the cartoon has kept the prequels' flippity floopity style of flopping lightly

The Force Awakens fixes that by bringing the weight back into the light sabre and making the Force require exertion

Arthea

The Force Awakens fixes that by bringing the weight back into the light sabre and making the Force require exertion

I call it grasshoppering, shorter and very descriptive, if I may say so myself

Whether it needs "fixing" is debatable.

There weren't many Force scenes in TFA though so I'm not sure what measure you're going by with that.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Looks awesome but I wish all Force Awakens merchandise didn't have to exclusively feature Kylo wearing his mask...

It's better and non-spoilery that way.

One thing that was missing from this movie, now that I got the chance to watch it again, is good music during the final conflict. They decided to go the route of episode 6 between Vader and Luke, where their final fight contained nothing but silence and the hum of the blades. The difference is that episode 6 carried more emotional weight and did not need the music to carry the scene. I feel like Kylo vs Finn/Rey needed the music, the same way Obi Wan/Qui Gon vs Darth Maul needed it. You're new to these characters, there's not enough dialogue, emotion or connection behind them yet. So what do you do? You have your composer create one of the most memorable tracks ever for this franchise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPHw0wzDCpg

When those doors opened and Darth Maul was behind them slowly looking up, the minute that music started you knew 'it's about to go down' and you become rightfully hyped.

Good for them then? The fact of the matter is you can't say the movies aren't important, you damn well can say the EU isn't important.

Look none of this fucking matters because I was talking about the movies and it was clear I was talking about the movies.

Clone Wars isn't EU, though. I'm not sure what the issue is here.

Top Bottom