• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Kuros

So Kenobi conceived a kid with Satine. Good. That kid would be Force Sensitive because thats how the Force works somehow. The "kid" of Kenobi create Rey. Wouldn't that make Rey's father or mother a Force Senstive person? Wouldn't other Jedi/Sith at the time notice this? It doesn't make sense at all. This entire discussion can be halted by one thing. If Kenobi had a short affair with Satine but didn't do a sexy-time then there is no Rey Kenobi. Simple as that.

Clone Wars Spolier you have been warned.

Satine can't have had a kid with Kenobi as she died too soon after they ended their affair.

Its perfectly possible he fathered a child between ROTS and ANH though.

Interfectum

Does anyone think Obi Wan and Padme did some sexy time in secret? Probably spent one evening talking shit about Anakin over some drinks and then...

3rdman

Directly from the film:

"We need a pilot."
"We've got one!"
"You?!"

Done.

Every other case where we've seen a prodigy pilot in Star Wars, our background on their piloting skills has boiled down exactly to someone mentioning that they're a pilot.

Obi-Wan, ANH: "I understand you've become quite a good pilot yourself."

Anakin, TPM: "I'm the only human who can [fly a podracer]."

And, likewise, in every case, we see them first demonstrate their piloting skills pulling off stuff that's supposed to be really really difficult.

Luke, ANH: Blows up the Death Star by making a shot down to the reactor without using a targeting computer during his first outing in an X-Wing, somehow magically doesn't get shot down even though he's right in Vader's scopes and Vader pulls the trigger.

Anakin, TPM: Wins the Boonta Eve podrace against much more experienced racers, recovers from an accidental trip up a service ramp that was clearly supposed to wreck his pod.

Rey, TFA: Avoids being shot down by (but not being shot by) two TIE Fighters amidst the wreckage of a large battle, flips the ship perpendicular to the ground so Finn can get in a final shot.

What's the explanation, every single time?

The Force is with them.

But that explanation apparently doesn't cut it for a woman.

She specifically says that she's never "left the planet" during the film; it's implied she's flown before, just not the Falcon, since it "hasn't flown in years."

So what do we see? She fumbles a bit to take control of the Falcon, but once she gets going she finds her element and starts trying trickier maneuvers.

But wow so implausible
I think its unfair to call sexism in this particular case. The movie is lacking an establishing scene which we see Rey's ability to fly or at the least, her knowledge of it.

You make a comparison to Luke suddenly able to fly an X-Wing but you overlook the fact that he had a "T-16 back home" and we even see it in the background in his second scene in ANH. He even holds a model and "plays" maneuvers with it.

Rey on the other hand, shows no inclination/knowledge of flying at all prior to the moment she announces that she is in fact a pilot.

I can't comment much on TPM as I last saw that film in the theaters when it originally released and I refuse to bother with it again. Even so, I do recall that we are introduced to Anakin as a podracer (pilot) and so when he jumps into a ship, it "somewhat" makes sense.

Sephzilla

Maybe.

Not necessarily.

The Force isn't like a blinking alarm beacon, blaring all the time. You have to turn it on. And you have to turn it on near someone who knows what to look for.

I always kind of got the impression a super force-sensitive person kind of was a blinking alarm, at least in the original trilogy. Vader sensed Obi-Wan in A New Hope and wasn't even really looking for him, same with sensing how strong with the Force Luke was. In Return of the Jedi, Vader manages to sense Luke's presence on the shuttle and Luke immediately fears that he jeopardized the mission because he knew Vader (and probably the Emperor) could sense him through the Force.

I actually liked the idea that a powerful Jedi could actually be a hindrance to a stealth mission in the right scenarios.

Gonzalez

Banned
I would say Rey being a Kenobi would honestly damage the reputation of Obi-wan

I'd say the original trilogy follows the exact same format as 80s professional wrestling.

A New Hope = The rise of a new hero, hero gets over with the crowd, hero defeats the big heel bad guy.

Empire Strikes Back = Monster heel booking 101

Return of the Jedi = Everything builds up to Vader making the greatest face turn in movie history
TFA is more like modern WWE, with fans rejecting the 2nd, and 3rd generation stars, in favor of the old guard(who are the real draws), and the only one of the new stars that's getting over is someone new that isn't a 2nd, and 3rd generation superstar(Finn) that the promoter(Disney) doesn't see as a main eventer.

Waldini

I'm still guessing she's a Skywalker. That's what my gut tells me though.

Luke might've loosened the Jedi rules a bit? Who knows. In the now non-canon Universe he married Mara Jade and had children. Same rules could still apply to the new movies. He could have had a romance with someone ... which died during the Massacre of Luke's Academy. I mean, it's not like Jedi's grow on trees.

Rey being a Kenobi does not make sense at all. Even if Obi-Wan conceived a kid between ROTS and ANH that would make Rey (if Obi-Wan is her father) 30+ years old. She doesn't really look that old to be fair. Grandchild? That's possible. But even so, Darth Vader was hunting Jedi's all over the place. I'm sure he would've noticed. Seeing his hatred towards Obi-Wan and anything (and everyone) close to him.

Sephzilla

TFA is more like modern WWE, with fans rejecting the 2nd, and 3rd generation stars, in favor of the old guard(who are the real draws), and the only getting over is someone new(Finn) that the promoter(Disney) doesn't see as a main eventer.

TFA is more like the Attitude Era stars who broke out in popularity while still in the shadows of the older guard of Macho Man, Hogan, etc.

The prequels are post-2000 WCW.

Modern WWE is the Holiday Special

TFA is more like modern WWE

no it isnt.

I always kind of got the impression a super force-sensitive person kind of was a blinking alarm, at least in the original trilogy. Vader sensed Obi-Wan in A New Hope and wasn't even really looking for him

But Vader & Ben already knew each other. And both knew what that felt like through the force. There's a familiarity there, same with Luke and Vader in Jedi.

That wouldn't be there between a Force user a couple systems away and a kid who doesn't even know they have it.

Waldini

Maybe.

Not necessarily.

The Force isn't like a blinking alarm beacon, blaring all the time. You have to turn it on. And you have to turn it on near someone who knows what to look for.

Vader sensed Obi-Wan.
Vader sensed Luke on the shuttle in ROTJ.
The Emperor did not.

So yeah, it might not be a beacon. Maybe it works if the person himself has a strong connection to the other? Obi-Wan being Vader's master and Luke being his son. Same applies to TFA. Ben Solo sensed his father.

Sephzilla

Vader sensed Obi-Wan.
Vader sensed Luke on the shuttle in ROTJ.
The Emperor did not.

So yeah, it might not be a beacon. Maybe it works if the person himself has a strong connection to the other? Obi-Wan being Vader's master and Luke being his son. Same applies to TFA. Ben Solo sensed his father.

The Emperor told Vader he knew Luke was there

ugh, why is there wrestling in my star wars thread

next thing you know there will be anime comparisons

Medichloreans are the Star Wars equivalents to DBZ scouters

Waldini

The Emperor told Vader he knew Luke was there

I have to rewatch ROTJ then. Because I remember a piece of dialogue that the Emperor didn't sense Luke's presence on Endor.
EDIT

Darth Vader: A small rebel force has penetrated the shield and landed on Endor.
The Emperor: Yes, I know.
Darth Vader: My son is with them.
The Emperor: Are you sure?
Darth Vader: I have *felt* him, my master.
The Emperor: Strange that I have not. I wonder if your feelings on this matter are clear, Lord Vader.
Darth Vader: They are clear, my master.

Wanna bet we are getting this dialogue in Episode 8?

Rey : "... did you know my mother?"
Luke : "She died while you where very young"
Rey : "What happened to her?"
Luke : "A young Jedi named Ben Solo, who was a young pupil of mine until he turned to evil, helped the Knights of Ren hunt down and destroy my students. He betrayed and murdered your mother"

Arthea

I have to rewatch ROTJ then. Because I remember a piece of dialogue that the Emperor didn't sense Luke's presence on Endor.

Luke : "A young Jedi named Ben Solo, who was a young pupil of mine until he turned to evil, helped the Knights of Ren hunt down and destroy my students. He betrayed and murdered your mother"

That sounds entirely too plausible, kindly don't do this

Interfectum

Rey : "You will take me to Jabba now."
Luke : "I will take you to Jabba now."

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Rey being a Kenobi doesn't have to be explained in details in this trilogy. That would actually make the already announced Obi Wan Kenobi movie even more interesting.

As for why don't the other force users feel that the mother or the father of Rey is force sensitive, do they even feel it with Leia (outside of knowing her family roots)? Rey's father or mother could very well be like Leia, in the sense that they would have never really used the force in a way that made them "visible" for the other.

Rey could be also related to nobody in the OT.

Rey being Luke's daughter would contradict the whole speech of Maz in TFA. Not to mention all the negative impact on Luke's character.

FloatOn

guys have you heard this theory that snoke is vader???

gsJZasw.jpg

TyrantII

Rey is NOT a Kenobi, nor his descendant.

Sure, Kenobi had a short affair with Satine. But this was, what ... 20-25 years before ANH? TFA takes place 32 years after ROTJ. How would Rey be a Kenobi? Doesn't make any sense.

And HOW can she be a Skywalker when Luke has an American accent and she has an English one?

She'd be his granddaughter.

Since when is an accent, or language for that matter, genetic?...

Waldini

I'm really expecting a big-ass "I am your father" moment in Episode 8. Gonna be a looooong wait. Although not as long as TFA though.

I hope Luke atleast ignites his lightsaber in Episode 8 ... even if its just for Rey's training. The sound the green saber makes is one of a kind. Kinda hoping Luke stays alive once Episode IX is concluded though. Have him become the true Jedi Master/Lord and have Rey take on apprentice(s) of her own.

Makes you wonder HOW the entire Light vs Dark-side ordeal is going to end. There's always a threat.

She'd be his granddaughter.

Since when is an accent, or language for that matter, genetic?...

That's true. Thats my bad. Even though I'm born in Holland I could very well grow up and have a thick American accent.

ugh, why is there wrestling in my star wars thread

next thing you know there will be anime comparisons

What do you think all the "Rey could never beat Kylo, her Jedi Power Level isn't high enough until she trains with Master Luke!" faff is about?

(Though admittedly, some people have thankfully tried to have that discussion from the actual perspective of why her beating him doesn't work in the narrative sense rather than from some goofy anime battle chart perspective. I don't agree with them, necessarily, but it's appreciated nonetheless.)

So Ben is Rey's mother?

Top Bottom