• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Savitar

Kylo Ren and Rey are siblings? Possibilities?

They could try to say so if they wanted but it would make more sense if Rey is Lukes daughter. Remember how in one of the trailers Luke is talking about how the Force runs in his family? Vader, him, Leia and he mentions "you have it too." That seems an awful big tip off to me about it. Not to mention the whole lightsaber thing.

That and it could add why Luke went into hiding, not only because his Jedi were wiped out but he lost his child in the process who turns out to be Rey.

Likely why she was left on Jakku, to keep her safe from those that killed the others and were surely looking for Luke and those closest to him.

snoke some weed

edit: Snoke looks like a mix between the giant in Beowulf and Azog in the Hobbit:

latest

+

Azog-the-Defiler1.png

100% CGI characters = BAD

including Maz

What are you doing talking about? Rey is obviously a flight nut. She knows everything about the Falcon because she is obsessed with it. She knows the ins and outs of tge star destoryers. See even weaes the helmet of rebel pilots in the beginning of the movie. Plus, she says she has flown before.

What more do you need to establish that Rey not only knows how to fly, she is in fat a fanatic?

People want her to have a penis before they'll accept that.

Savitar

Hey even in the OT we had to wait to find out Vader was the father.

And dude did so after lopping off his sons hand.

The guy did not take any shit from no uppity teen punk.

StarWarsAnimated.gif

I really want to see Snoke fight with a telephone pole sized lightsaber in Episode VIII.

I want him to be 3ft tall as a twist. He'd be like the dark side Yoda.

I mean...they have to do SOMETHING to make him remotely interesting as a character because as he is in TFA is not cutting it.

bud

You really don't remember "No, I am your father!"?

Because you don't even need to remember that Luke is Leia's sister. It was in the opening crawl of TFA!

i do actually remember this scene, but--and this is going to sound absolutely bizarre--i somehow always thought that it was han and leia that were siblings. imagine my surprise upon finding out the two of them actually had a kid together.

I'm really expecting a big-ass "I am your father" moment in Episode 8. Gonna be a looooong wait. Although not as long as TFA though.

I hope Luke atleast ignites his lightsaber in Episode 8 ... even if its just for Rey's training. The sound the green saber makes is one of a kind. Kinda hoping Luke stays alive once Episode IX is concluded though. Have him become the true Jedi Master/Lord and have Rey take on apprentice(s) of her own.

Makes you wonder HOW the entire Light vs Dark-side ordeal is going to end. There's always a threat.

That's true. Thats my bad. Even though I'm born in Holland I could very well grow up and have a thick American accent.

Always two there are a master and and apprentice. I foresee Luke becoming the most powerful Sith alive, and Rey as his apprentice.

Im kidding.

Kuros

i do actually remember this scene, but--and this is going to sound absolutely bizarre--i somehow always thought that it was han and leia that were siblings. imagine my surprise upon finding out the two of them actually had a kid together.

An easy mistake to make. No way these to could be bro and sis right? RIGHT?

luke-leia.jpg

OraleeWey

They could try to say so if they wanted but it would make more sense if Rey is Lukes daughter. Remember how in one of the trailers Luke is talking about how the Force runs in his family? Vader, him, Leia and he mentions "you have it too." That seems an awful big tip off to me about it. Not to mention the whole lightsaber thing.

That and it could add why Luke went into hiding, not only because his Jedi were wiped out but he lost his child in the process who turns out to be Rey.

Likely why she was left on Jakku, to keep her safe from those that killed the others and were surely looking for Luke and those closest to him.

I definitely need to watch it again because I think I'm missing some details. For example, Rey's flashback was too much for me to digest because it went so fast. However, the movie hints that Rey is Luke's daughter. Maybe, perhaps, that detail is there for the Star Wars fans who know more than average. But it also doubles for newcomers who know very little. When it is revealed that Luke is her father, BAM! Two audiences have been "shocked". Kill two birds with one stone.

GPsych

I like the theory that Rey is Palpatine's granddaughter. There are numerous fan theories out there that Sheev created Anakin using Force techniques he learned from Plagueis, which effectively makes the Skywalker line the Palpatine line. Sheev probably had a harem or something and ended up creating another powerful Force-using line thus resulting in Rey. Considering how powerful Sheev was, it would make sense why Rey appears to be so powerful.

Surfinn

I want him to be 3ft tall as a twist. He'd be like the dark side Yoda.

I mean...they have to do SOMETHING to make him remotely interesting as a character because as he is in TFA is not cutting it.

If done right, I think him being the same/similar size of Yoda would be awesome. You expect some huge dude because of the projection and you get a tiny guy. Would be cool to see some bounty hunters working with him, they break a deal/betray him in some way, misjudging him because of his appearance (even if he's full of scars/looks weathered). Snoke unleashes his knowledge of the force and kills 3-4 guys at once, setting the precedent for how powerful he really is. Maybe not exactly as described but I'd love to see more mythology established in ESB with Yoda and his size, only established with the dark side of the force. Not replicating the scene but exploring that theme. I think the Yoda/X-Wing scene is the best in the saga, by far.

3rdman

What are you doing talking about? Rey is obviously a flight nut. She knows everything about the Falcon because she is obsessed with it. She knows the ins and outs of tge star destoryers. See even weaes the helmet of rebel pilots in the beginning of the movie. Plus, she says she has flown before.

What more do you need to establish that Rey not only knows how to fly, she is in fat a fanatic?

I guess I saw those moments differently than you. The fact that she knows about star destroyers has nothing to do with piloting skills. Engineers/mechanics are not pilots and vice versa...Up to that point, I understood that she was mechanically gifted but not a pilot. She is also a product of her environment..as a scavenger, she has to become familiar with these vessels if she plans on surviving. None of these things mean she can fly.

As for the falcon, she didn't even know she was on it until Han Solo told her so, so I don't know how obsessed she could have been with it.

The moment she wears the rebel helmet (to me) was a moment to convey a longing to leave Jakku. There is nothing in that scene at all that denotes that she can fly.

I get that she is a fanatic about these things but none of things imply the ability to fly...Personally, I love the SR-71 Blackbird...I've never flown it and (more importantly) I wouldn't know how.

But you mention she says she's flown before...when did that happen? I've seen the film 3 times and I don't recall that at all.

I guess I saw those moments differently than you. The fact that she knows about star destroyers has nothing to do with piloting skills. Engineers/mechanics are not pilots and vice versa...Up to that point, I understood that she was mechanically gifted but not a pilot. She is also a product of her environment..as a scavenger, she has to become familiar with these vessels if she plans on surviving. None of things mean she can fly.

As for the falcon, she didn't even know she was on it until Han Solo told her so so I don't know how obsessed she could have been with it.

The moment she wears the rebel helmet (to me) was a moment to convey a longing to leave Jakku. There is nothing in that scene at all that denotes that she can fly and nothing more.

I get that she is a fanatic about these things but none of things imply the ability to fly...Personally, I love the SR-71 Blackbird...I've never flown it and (more importantly) I wouldn't know how.

But you mention she says she's flown before...when did that happen? I've seen the film 3 times and I don't recall that at all.

Finn: "We need a pilot!"
Rey: "We've got a pilot!"
Finn: "You?!?"

People don't refer to themselves as a pilot if they've never flown before.

Yep. I would be reaaaalllyyy surprised if this is not exactly the case.

I guess I saw those moments differently than you. The fact that she knows about star destroyers has nothing to do with piloting skills. Engineers/mechanics are not pilots and vice versa...Up to that point, I understood that she was mechanically gifted but not a pilot.

No. Not officially a pilot.... but she knows how to fly. Her first real world try was problematic as shown in the movie.

Note also that the little prequel book from Greg Rucka, Before the Awakening, explained that Rey spent a lot of her time in a flight simulator when not scavenging for trinkets.

http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/star...0-reasons-why-we-already-know-rey-s-backstory

she was talking about BB-8

"A droid... commandeered a freighter?"

As to the post directly above me, it's unfair to counter a misunderstanding from the film with a link to a page that summarizes a young reader's book. Especially when there are simpler counters using the film itself as evidence.

Such as the point (made a fair amount of times in this thread) that she flat out calls herself a pilot on the way to leading Finn & BB-8 to their off-planet escape.

Savitar

You got to remember as well it seems if you can fly one thing in Star Wars you basically can fly any ship. Luke goes from the one he had on Tatoonie to shoot rodents to flying X-Wings like it's nothing. Han can basically fly anything he gets his hands on. Poe can fly Tie Fighters very well as well as his normal X-Wings etc.

What are you doing talking about? Rey is obviously a flight nut. She knows everything about the Falcon because she is obsessed with it. She knows the ins and outs of the star destoryers. See even wears the helmet of a rebel pilot in the beginning of the movie. Plus, she says she has flown before.

What more do you need to establish that Rey not only knows how to fly, she is in fact a fanatic?

Well she needs a penis, of course.

Duh.

3rdman

Finn: "We need a pilot!"
Rey: "We've got a pilot!"
Finn: "You?!?"

People don't refer to themselves as a pilot if they've never flown before.

Yeah, that is literally 10 seconds before she blasts off in the falcon and goes directly to my point. Nothing is mentioned about her piloting skills until they are suddenly needed. There really should have been a scene that showed some kind of aptitude as a pilot either in the narrative or visually before that moment. But its nit picking...Loved it regardless.

Sephzilla

So does anyone know how or where they got the lightsaber from?
Last I can tell it disappeared with Luke's hand in ESB.

I honestly don't get why this is such a big deal to some people (not saying you specifically are one of them). Luke survived what was like a mile-long fall in Cloud City and survived/was found, why can't the same logic apply for the lightsaber?

Savitar

We don't know. Maz seems to know but he said it was a story for another time.

Someone below Cloud City must have found where it was dropped unless it went down another chute and got caught in something and found by a techie.

Kuros

The bottom of cloud city is a reactor so it can't have fallen in there. Best guess is it went into one of the garbage vents like Luke did and an Ugnaught (or whoever) found it.

Halcyon

I honestly don't get why this is such a big deal to some people (not saying you specifically are one of them). Luke survived what was like a mile-long fall in Cloud City and survived/was found, why can't the same logic apply for the lightsaber?

Those people and "how did bruce wayne who happens to be a ninja, batman, and has power and influence across the globe get back into Gotham the city that he has installed undetected batcaves and batmobile garages in" people should get together.

Last spotted tumbling down a trash chute in Cloud City in The Empire Strikes Back, the blade built by Anakin and passed to Luke resurfaced 30-plus years later in a curio chest in Maz Kanata’s castle, where it “called” to Rey. According to the supplemental materials, “someone salvaged it from the city’s industrial depths,” but how it got from that unnamed person to Maz’s place remains unexplained and will possibly be filled in by a future film or book.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/star-wars-the-force-awakens-ultimate-faq-164511371.html

It really doesn't need to be explained further. Why are people hung up on this?

MNC

Confession: I did not know cloud city was above something. I actually thought it was just a crazy space station so everything that falls off just gets disintegrated or something.

Top Bottom