• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Arthea

just saw it. didn't get one thing: why did he call darth vader his grandfather?

is this a serious question? I can't tell anymore with everything that's going on in this thread.

Leia is his mother, Vader's daughter.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Think Ben is refering to the Force. The Light Side calling to them both...
anger of course
Haha. Well there's the spectrum I guess. Their facial expression are both hard to read at that moment, in a good way. Solid performances from both Ridley and Driver

It seems ambiguous, like maybe Rey isn't sure what he means, I'm not altogether sure the audience is supposed to know, I guess?

Come to think of it I suppose we don't 100% know what the "awakening" refers to, do we? Just theories for now

oof. don't even remember that. i should really rewatch the first three films.

Eh, it's no big deal. Even though it's common knowledge in Star Wars terms that Leia is Vader's daughter, it's honestly such a bizarre and sideways-slanting plot point that it's pretty easy to forget about.

It's arguably the weirdest plot beats of the original trilogy. "We're brother and sister. Vader is our father!" "Okay." And then it never matters in any narrative sense for Leia again.

TyrantII

I believe Serkis mentioned that snoke is an entirely new character to Star Wars. Not plagueis. Certainly not Vader lol

My only wish is Disney ponies up some of the billions they made to find a competent creature creations biz to do Snoke justice through prosthetics or animatronics.

He's a main character for darths sake.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That would make Anakin his Grand Uncle since she's Luke's brother though.
Dude. What. Ben is the son of Anakin's daughter. If Anakin Skywalker had a brother, he would be Kylo's grand uncle.

edit: or if Padme had a brother :-/ Sometimes these days I forget that Padme Amidala is canon and it's so nice for a few minutes

I think its unfair to call sexism in this particular case. The movie is lacking an establishing scene which we see Rey's ability to fly or at the least, her knowledge of it.

You make a comparison to Luke suddenly able to fly an X-Wing but you overlook the fact that he had a "T-16 back home" and we even see it in the background in his second scene in ANH. He even holds a model and "plays" maneuvers with it.

Rey on the other hand, shows no inclination/knowledge of flying at all prior to the moment she announces that she is in fact a pilot.

I can't comment much on TPM as I last saw that film in the theaters when it originally released and I refuse to bother with it again. Even so, I do recall that we are introduced to Anakin as a podracer (pilot) and so when he jumps into a ship, it "somewhat" makes sense.

What are you doing talking about? Rey is obviously a flight nut. She knows everything about the Falcon because she is obsessed with it. She knows the ins and outs of the star destoryers. See even wears the helmet of a rebel pilot in the beginning of the movie. Plus, she says she has flown before.

What more do you need to establish that Rey not only knows how to fly, she is in fact a fanatic?

Alx

"Rey, I am your uncle's friend's second cousin twice removed !"
Getting closer to Spaceballs every day. :D

Eh, it's no big deal. Even though it's common knowledge in Star Wars terms that Leia is Vader's daughter, it's honestly such a bizarre and sideways-slanting plot point that it's pretty easy to forget about.

It's arguably the weirdest plot beats of the original trilogy. "We're brother and sister. Vader is our father!" "Okay." And then it never matters in any narrative sense for Leia again.

It was Lucas' half-baked way to resolve the Luke-Leia-Han love triangle.

I think its unfair to call sexism in this particular case. The movie is lacking an establishing scene which we see Rey's ability to fly or at the least, her knowledge of it.

I don't know, she kinda flew the Millenium Falcon though she struggled a little with it.

It was Lucas' half-baked way to resolve the Luke-Leia-Han love triangle.

As much as I want to hate on it, it admittedly worked out a thousand times better for him than Rowling's attempt at sorting out the Harry-Hermione-Ron thing.

"Slap a sibling on it" is an inelegant but pretty decisive way to end a love triangle. (Murder also works.)

televator

I got to the Kenobi and Satine arc in TCW. There's every indication to certainty that Kenobi and Satine got it on during their past. And there is reason to think that Satine would be capable of hiding an offspring from Kenobi for their strong ideological differences.

EGM1966

guys have you heard this theory that snoke is vader???

gsJZasw.jpg

I can see it now. In the fire Vader's "soul" seperated from Anakins and has been slowing reforming into physical form via the power for the force in a "kind of" Sauron from Lord of the Rings manner.

Top Bottom