• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

3rdman

I was not singling you out (trust me, there's PLENTY of people just tearing her down based on gender alone, we are not wanting for examples of this) - but as you stated, that is nitpicking down to the bare bones.

Instead of discussing cool shit like Rey's lineage, Kenobi's involvement, etc... people are tearing apart Rey's character to point out flaws like "SEE! She couldn't have possibly done this IRL!!!!" as if this isn't a movie about space wizards with laser swords.

If she were a man then this discussion simply would not exist.
I've been absent for those discussions... For what it's with, Rey is easily my favorite of the new characters and have no problem with a female lead

I think the issue is mostly to do with it being the Millennium Falcon.

If it was any other ship people wouldn't have an issue. But it'seems the falcon! People have built a mysticism around the ship that it'should jarring to see someone else fly it without Han on it.

And I love the fact she has difficulty flying it and even says in the film that "she doesn't have a co-pilot" when trying to reach other controls.

This is a pretty good point. Most people, even those disappointed with the character because he's "Emo" and "A whiny bitch," don't question how such an emo whiny bitch learned something like that. I haven't seen too many questions as to how/why the film neglected to set up his ability sufficiently to make it believable.

Dudes just automatically rolled with it and came up with their own answers later as to how/why he learned it, perfunctory as they probably were (Snoke taught him, Snoke seems to know what he's doing, He's just that badass, whatever) in order to better enjoy the badassery. There wasn't ever, at any point, any dialog establishing either Snoke OR Kylo as highly trained Force Users. It was just taken as read. And I'm not saying that's a bad thing. But they got a pass with way less textual evidence in the film than was presented for Rey's abilities as they came to the fore during the film.

So Kylo Ren:

Can put people on pause within 5 minutes of the film opening and nobody questions it, even AFTER it's shown he's nowhere near as skilled/composed as he presents himself.

But Rey:

Can't fly a starship through her own backyard without the film having to thoroughly, via dialog and set design, establish her skill as a pilot/driver.

I know people think it's unfair to slap down "The sexism card" latent or otherwise, when it comes to these sorts of discussions, but looking at that sorta shit, it seems like something you kinda have to take into account even a little bit, as unpleasant as it might be.
Ever since this started with Max Landis citing 4chan, I've known where this "controversy" stems from.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I had never heard of the phrase 'Mary Sue' before reading this thread.

Wish it had stayed that way, seems like a pointless argument to me.

Gonzalez

Banned
So Kylo Ren:

Can put people on pause within 5 minutes of the film opening and nobody questions it, even AFTER it's shown he's nowhere near as skilled/composed as he presents himself.

But Rey:

Can't fly a starship through her own backyard without the film having to thoroughly, via dialog and set design, establish her skill as a pilot/driver.

I know people think it's unfair to slap down "The sexism card" latent or otherwise, when it comes to these sorts of discussions, but looking at that sorta shit, it seems like something you kinda have to take into account even a little bit, as unpleasant as it might be.

It's not that really.

...It's just that I can't over the fact that the character is English.

Alx

Kylo Ren stopped a blaster shot in mid air. Do we need to know exactly HOW he learned that skill? We know Luke didn't know that.

That's actually the part of the movie I found the least believable by the way. That's not how I pictured the Force "working", telekinesis shouldn't block energy, let alone freeze it in time and release it later to continue as it was.

But then I shrugged it off like other far-fetched elements of a fantasy movie. :p

EGM1966

If it was any other ship people wouldn't have an issue. But it's the falcon! People have built a mysticism around the ship that it's jarring to see someone else fly it without Han on it.
Well Lando managed and the films (including TFA) make it clear it's had other owners. I get the importance of the ship in mythology terms but it shouldn't be confused with practicality either.

The do show her struggling with the ship initially too which implies its a bit different than she's used to but she comes to grips with it. They also use dialogue nicely (Finn's doubting tone) to underscore the moment and make it clear questioning Rey on appearances is unwise and arguably unfair.

In the end it's like assuming only Kirk and crew could fly the Enterprise. It's a ship in a fictional world that anyone with the appropriate skills would be able to fly. The "special" element is purely psychological attribution from fans and nothing else.

Anyway I'm done with this. Bobby and others have pointed out it's a flawed argument.

Next in an attempt to introduce some plot musings I'll post what I believe (based purely on TFA "as is" not anything from other media which I haven't touched) should have replaced the Starkiller base plot strand as I feel that's the weakest element of the film plot structure wise.

Next in an attempt to introduce some plot musings I'll post what I believe (based purely on TFA "as is" not anything from other media which I haven't touched) should have replaced the Starkiller base plot strand as I feel that's the weakest element of the film plot structure wise.

I think, as of now, the Star Killer base is kind of a lame Death Star knock-off, I agree.

However, I think that it could potentially effect the galactic conflict in a much different and bigger way than the Death Star did, something we'll have to see play out in the sequels.

The Death Star was used by the galactic government to destroy one semi-important planet that was involved in a rebellion.

Star Killer base was fired AT the galactic government, and destroyed an entire system, including what is probably the single most important planet at that point in time for that government.

I think where VIII and IX have to go is to a full-on large-scale war between The New Republic and The First Order, (especially considering The Resistance was left with about 3 X-Wings.) Possibly a conflict with an even larger scale than The Clone Wars.

GPsych

I think, as of now, the Star Killer base is kind of a lame Death Star knock-off, I agree.

However, I think that it could potentially effect the galactic conflict in a much different and bigger way than the Death Star did, something we'll have to see play out in the sequels.

The Death Star was used by the galactic government to destroy one semi-important planet that was involved in a rebellion.

Star Killer base was fired AT the galactic government, and destroyed an entire system, including what is probably the single most important planet at that point in time for that government.

I think where VIII and IX have to go is to a full-on large-scale war between The New Republic and The First Order, (especially considering The Resistance was left with about 3 X-Wings.) Possibly a conflict with an even larger scale than The Clone Wars.

I agree. I'm thinking that this will be a much bigger deal in future films. It's important to remember that not only was the system destroyed, but the entire Republic Fleet was lost as well (you actually even see it destroyed if you look closely enough). The First Order lost a big base, but I assume they still have some Star Destroyers around. Overall, it was probably a net win for the First Order.

Cth

If it was any other ship people wouldn't have an issue. But it's the falcon! People have built a mysticism around the ship that it's jarring to see someone else fly it without Han on it.

As weird as it sounds, until TFA, I never really saw the Falcon as a run down/piece of junk. Maybe it was the whole poisonous gas scene that made it feel dangerous for once.

The original trilogy made it feel like the equivalent of a tail light being out or something.

-griffy-

Banned
As weird as it sounds, until TFA, I never really saw the Falcon as a run down/piece of junk. Maybe it was the whole poisonous gas scene that made it feel dangerous for once.

The original trilogy made it feel like the equivalent of a tail light being out or something.
Half the plot of ESB comes about because the Falcon is broken, doesn't it?

In fact, you could probably say Han getting frozen in carbonate, and therefore Luke losing a hand, is directly because the hyperdrive is busted, so they have to hitch a ride on the Star Destroyer, and do the float in trash trick, which allows Fett to follow them.

GhaleonEB

If we are comparing...

1. We physically see Luke next to his T-16.
2. He holds and manipulates the model and practices maneuvers.
3. In Mos Eisely, he tells Han that he is a pretty good pilot.
4. Obi Wan tells Luke that he heard that he's become a pretty good pilot "like his father".
5. He complains to his uncle that he wants to leave Tatooine and join the academy (presumably as a pilot)

The point is that there were hints and straight up explanations that he already had skill. In TFA...nothing is mentioned until she is seconds away from jumping into the falcon.

Lastly, this is nitpicking to the nth degree I admit but its also an honest point and it has merit. From a screenwriting/plot point of view, it's missing back story and what else is there to do in these thread than pick.

By the way, you really should check yourself before making accusations of sexism...It's rude and (at least here) unfounded, I assure you.

So what? Seriously why does this matter one iota? The film establishes she's a pilot, thoroughly.

3rdman

So what? Seriously why does this matter one iota? The film establishes she's a pilot, thoroughly.

It doesn't matter...at all. As I said, it's nit picking and (in my opinon) the character is lacking in back story up to that point. It's not a big deal but I do see the problem and I am simply acknowledging it and bringing it up it is does not equate to sexism...which is why I posted in the first place, that's all.

Clearly, I'm in the minority so whatever...I was thinking though that I kinda had the same problem with Star Trek (2009). How the hell did Kirk get control of the Enterprise so damn quick...made no damn sense... Perhaps its an Abrams thing. :p

AdanVC

I finally saw the movie and it was really good! I'm not a SW fan and I just have seen the original trilogy forever ago yet I didn't have any problems with the story or characters. Lot's and lot's of action, very fast paced with literally zero boring conversation scenes. I just found the final battle between Rey and Kylo a bit cheesy but goddamn so glad Rey kicked his ass.

donny2112

I got the impression from the movie was Rey knew so much about the ships and how they worked because she researched them so much to know what to scavenge and she loved and obsessed about them, but wasn't really a pilot per say. Amd the actual know how to fly was when the force came in.

Not for this post in particular, but on the whole Rey/pilot thing, couple of very important points.

1. This is a movie. Movies usually don't strive for completely explainable realities where all the twists make sense in an objective viewpoint.

2. This is a Star Wars movie. Star Wars has never been about technological/science stuff making sense. From an X-Wing fighter that can fly between star systems, crash in mud, get pulled out, and then immediately fly off to another star system without ever even being refueled to a super fast space ship that only visibly gets repaired via blow torch application to different areas of the ship. *insert Chewbacca sitting on top of the ship with a blowtorch "fixing" it pic*

If you're looking for a long-reaching Sci-Fi series that actually tries to take into account real science and technology, go watch Star Trek (pre-reboot) and read the tech manuals.

Just enjoy the movie people and don't knock it a peg because we aren't shown how Rey is capable of flying the Millenium Falcon so well outside of her undefined force awareness which allows her to see things before they happen resulting in the appearance of super reflexes (
Stop making me remember Episode 1 stuff!
).

Oidisco

Going to see it again tomorrow, hopefully there's still gonna be a lot of people their that haven't seen it since hearing their reactions was so much fun the last time.

Like right after Han was killed, the guy beside me whispered to himelf "jesus fucking christ" and when Rey grabbed the lightsaber there was a young girl infront of me that was so damn excited. Wanna see that again!

[If you're looking for a long-reaching Sci-Fi series that actually tries to take into account real science and technology, go watch Star Trek (pre-reboot) and read the tech manuals.

Even that's pretty much bullshit. Things were more or less sci-fi magic in Star Trek, too. Physicists and mathematicians were inspired by Star Trek, sure. But most of the shit in Star Trek doesn't make any real sense, and isn't based on real science, either. That merchandising came up with a bunch of technical manuals after the fact doesn't really mean much. Star Wars has the same shit to loosely explain the made-up magic science they use to travel the stars, too.

Star Trek doesn't really try to take into account real science and technology, but real scientists do take Star Trek into account.

They slingshot around the sun to time travel based on coordinates Spock pulled from his brain shortly after his soul was placed back in his body via the human USB stick that was McCoy.

The Chef

Sorry if this was already posted today.
Really amazing Star Wars wallpapers
http://imgur.com/gallery/FyukP/
LOkdHY3.jpg

qwUIFPW.jpg

KE3WKjR.jpg

Surfinn

Going to see it again tomorrow, hopefully there's still gonna be a lot of people their that haven't seen it since hearing their reactions was so much fun the last time.

Like right after Han was killed, the guy beside me whispered to himelf "jesus fucking christ" and when Rey grabbed the lightsaber there was a young girl infront of me that was so damn excited. Wanna see that again!

I've seen the movie five times now (sixth is happening for my birthday later in the month); half of the fun in theaters is experiencing other people's reactions, especially if it's their first time watching the movie.

I'll add: I cannot believe how lifeless some of my viewings have been. Luckily, we sat next to a few people who had a sense of humor and laughed during the more comedic moments of the film but.. wow, we were alone laughing/reacting to the film almost all of the times we went (me and my GF).

I mean, I guess that's much better than seeing the movie with a bunch of obnoxious idiots, but come on! The movie is funny and full of fantastic moments.

donny2112

Warp travel:
In Star Trek world, they enter subspace prior to reaching lightspeed in normal space thus preserving Einstein's limitation on speed of space travel in normal space.
In Star Wars world, they go into hyperspace that apparently maxes out at ".5 past light speed" yet can get between planets that should be light years apart in hours.

Structures:
In Star Trek world, they invented things like Structural Integrity Fields to artificially increase the natural structural qualities of materials and allow them to withstand the unnatural accelerations and decelerations involved with multiple times light speed interstellar travel. Also, inertial dampeners are there to dampen the force of inertia (heh) that would otherwise turn us all into jelly at the first tap of the brakes.
In Star Wars world, you can have ships falling apart and on fire successfully reach hyperspace without being pulled to pieces. No mention of inertia and no attempts at reconciling it.

It's not that Star Trek is real science. It's that they try to actively explain how they make the leaps beyond known physical laws/limitations to get where they are instead of the massive amounts of nothing that Star Wars gives.

So if you're looking for a Sci-Fi series that even tries to connect the dots to make things make sense technologically, Star Wars is not where you want to be looking.

Fencedude

You know, I don't think it's fair to play the sexism card to delegitimize people's arguments. There are differences between Luke and Rey's portrayals and progression towards showing what they can and cannot do and that, in of itself, can lead to the differing opinions between whether Luke was justified in being a good pilot or Rey a good pilot. And by jumping to "latent sexism" you're not treating the person you're arguing with with respect.

Yeah god, there is nothing worse than being called sexist based on no more than your actions of nitpicking the abilities of a female character, in the way that is never done to a male character.

Truly the greatest crime you can have committed against you.

mrkgoo

Figuring out the science and logic of Star Wars is the same as figuring out the science and logic of lord of the rings.

JB1981

I'll take the 1 minute of showing instead of telling that we see in Rey's living quarters to establish her credentials.

I agree. This kind of visual shorthand is there all over Rey's section and it's easy to miss on first viewing. A second viewing really does help.

jackal27

Banned

Hearing kids getting surprised/excited/asking parents questions is my favorite part of going to see this movie.

Yeah god, there is nothing worse than being called sexist based on no more than your actions of nitpicking the abilities of a female character, in the way that is never done to a male character.

Truly the greatest crime you can have committed against you.

Wow. Okay, I never said it was the worst crime committed. Those are your words. But labeling someone as sexist simply for criticizing a female character, and attempting to explain why they didn't have problems with a similar male character is rude.

Would you enjoy it, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's happened in this discussion somewhere, if your points/feelings were swept under a rug by telling you you're simply starved for prominent female characters that you'll even settle for the most basic and weak female characterization? Either example is rude and undermines the entire point of even discussing each other's takes. Why bother?

It's like you're not even trying to engage them in a discussion, you'd rather vilify their position, just as you've done with mine by taking my words and twisting them to extremes. Where the heck is the respect?

Zabka

Hah that's great! The oil bath scene. It never even registered in my mind what that was in the background. Just looks like more future junk.

Wow. Okay, I never said it was the worst crime committed. Those are your words. But labeling someone as sexist simply for criticizing a female character, and attempting to explain why they didn't have problems with a similar male character is rude.

Would you enjoy it, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's happened in this discussion somewhere, if your points/feelings were swept under a rug by telling you you're simply starved for prominent female characters that you'll even settle for the most basic and weak female characterization? Either example is rude and undermines the entire point of even discussing each other's takes. Why bother?

It's like you're not even trying to engage them in a discussion, you'd rather vilify their position, just as you've done with mine by taking my words and twisting them to extremes. Where the heck is the respect?

It's a pretty common pattern that comes up whenever a woman is depicted/described as being able to do things that men have traditionally done.

People will question the woman's ability to do any or all those things despite that same skepticism never having been prominently levied at the man.

When others question the fact that the woman is being scrutinized in ways that men aren't, the response is frequently to hide behind the "you're trying to label me as sexist, but I'm not sexist" defense and accuse critics of lacking respect for dissenting opinions.

Kuros

Hah that's great! The oil bath scene. It never even registered in my mind what that was in the background. Just looks like more future junk.

I like the way it's subtle. I have a feeling modern film makers would have had a shot focusing on it saying "Look this is my ship!"

Also in old canon a t16 was used by the rebels as a training ship for X Wings as it controlled very similarly.

Brakke

Banned
It's a pretty common pattern that comes up whenever a woman is depicted/described as being able to do things that men have traditionally done.

People will question the woman's ability to do any or all those things despite that same skepticism never having been prominently levied at the man.

When others question the fact that the woman is being scrutinized in ways that men aren't, the response is frequently to hide behind the "you're trying to label me as sexist, but I'm not sexist" defense and accuse critics of lacking respect for dissenting opinions.

But this is why it's boring. You've just said its a "common pattern" which means you're fitting posters into schema you've already developed instead of engaging discussion. That's called prejudice: you're primed to see some underlying motive without actually doing the work to discover if it's here.

Also Fencedude's comment isn't "questioning", it's condescending, sarcastic, arrogant, presumptive.

injurai

Banned

Thing is, her character is being criticized in ways that males are criticised as well. Her character is being criticized from a film perspective, from a writing perspective. The fact that she is her own distinct character means she will have distinct criticism that pertain to the movie as a whole.

So when people make lazy and trite dismissals of criticism as if they are coming from a place of sexism. It is quite frankly annoying. I've seen some concerning posts, I've even played the sexism card a few times over these 3 threads. But then you get people who frequently ascribe criticism levered against Rey as sexism. Not only does it dilute their position on concerns over sexism, but it hurts their case. It's also pretty disrespectful, and usurps a fair dispute over criticism.

But this is why it's boring. You've just said its a "common pattern" which means you're fitting posters into schema you've already developed instead of engaging discussion. That's called prejudice: you're primed to see some underlying motive without actually doing the work to discover if it's here.

Exactly, thank you, better response than I could've given.

mrkgoo

Hearing kids getting surprised/excited/asking parents questions is my favorite part of going to see this movie.

In my second viewing this past weekend, at the end as I left a girl about 6-7 years old exclaimed, "that was AWESOME!"

It made me smile.

Top Bottom