• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Surfinn

I wish I had a more nerdy crowd for the in movie Falcon reveal. Loved the way that was pulled off.

One of the best parts of the movie. Gives me chills every time with how nonchalantly it was revealed, then JW score comes blasting in. Two or three showings applauded for it.

Right then is when I realized SW had truly returned.

Korosenai

I posted this earlier but no one replied :(

Does anyone have some high quality wallpapers for both laptops and phones? If you do please post them!

I'm also looking for high quality versions of those awesome amc imax posters.

Sorry if this was already posted today.
Really amazing Star Wars wallpapers
http://imgur.com/gallery/FyukP/

Awesome link! Would anyone happen to have links to hi quality versions of the other imax posters as well?

FyreWulff

Yeah, my theater was quiet throughout the whole movie, but I guess late at night on 5$ tuesdays means a lot less more of the really into people are there. It was packed and nobody left, though.

Surfinn

Yeah, my theater was quiet throughout the whole movie, but I guess late at night on 5$ tuesdays means a lot less more of the really into people are there. It was packed and nobody left, though.

I don't get it. Almost all of my showings were dead silent.

GhaleonEB

yeah, my 7pm showing on the 17th completely exploded for that. The whole escape from Jakku sequence is pretty sublime filmmaking

My opening night shownig went nuts as well. Great fun.

I like how they actually pan past the Falcon earlier in the sequence, but it's so fast you can't recognize it unless you're looking. Sneaky.

Surfinn

yeah, my 7pm showing on the 17th completely exploded for that. The whole escape from Jakku sequence is pretty sublime filmmaking

I agree. Best part of the movie, for me. Just classic SW adventure. My 17th showing blew up for it too.. wow that feels like such a long time ago now.

The Chef

I posted this earlier but no one replied :(

Awesome link! Would anyone happen to have links to hi quality versions of the other imax posters as well?

Here ya go:
http://www.imax.com/news/amc-imax-star-wars-commemorative-poster-giveaways
AVCO_AMC-IMAX_Poster4_FM.jpg

IMAXAMC_DanMumford_3of4.jpg

IMAXAMC_DanMumford_2of4_0.jpg

IMAXAMC_DanMumford_1of4_0.jpeg

injurai

Banned
See, I'd consider this a valid point, but when others try to levy these same criticisms at Luke, you have many of the same people rushing to criticize Rey rushing to Luke's defense, usually using the same kinds of evidence for their defense that are being used for Rey.

That doesn't bode well to the idea that the characters are being treated equally.

I mean, you're talking really generally now. All people were doing were criticing lazy dismissals of criticism by ascribing sexism as the source. If you want to create a massive venn diagram of the sorts of arguers and opinions in here you could do it. Point is the sexism card is being played lazily when there could be a more valuable discussion on it, or when where such a discussion has no place at all. It literally just happened last page, yes discussion in this thread has been inverted where the opposite was the case.

Point is the sexism card is being played lazily when there could be a more valuable discussion on it

I don't know that I agree, necessarily. I've seen that the sexism (or at least, complaints about the aspect of sexism entering the conversation) card is being thrown down when the valuable discussion starts to arrive at a point where almost every other variable has been accounted for, and then that's the one that's left.

I'd agree that it gets dropped a little more frequently by people who spend a longer amount of time in the thread, but that's likely because they're also more familiar with the arc these discussions trace and can see the end result before it actually arrives.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I tend to remember these things. Not counting the laughs because that shit was constant with BB-8.

Showing #1 (premier, around 9pm):

- Opening crawl: screams
- Kylo stops shot: "wow"
- ATAT: gasps
- Falcon reveal: screams
- Leia & C-3PO reveal: screams
- Reveal of Kylos father/mother: "wow"
- Han gets stabbed: tears and gasps, lots of mumbling
- Luke reveal: mumbling (thankfully the music muffled the sound)

Every showing from that day reduced the amount of reactions, but the opening crawl, Leia reveal and Han getting stabbed was there every. single. time. (5 times so far)

The Chef

I tend to remember these things. Not counting the laughs because that shit was constant with BB-8.

Every showing from that day reduced the amount of reactions, but the opening crawl, Leia reveal and Han getting stabbed was there every. single. time. (5 times so far)

Same.
Except on my first viewing my theater erupted when Rey force pulled the light saber and Luke's reveal.

I mean, you're talking really generally now. All people were doing were criticing lazy dismissals of criticism by ascribing sexism as the source. If you want to create a massive venn diagram of the sorts of arguers and opinions in here you could do it. Point is the sexism card is being played lazily when there could be a more valuable discussion on it, or when where such a discussion has no place at all. It literally just happened last page, yes discussion in this thread has been inverted where the opposite was the case.

The criticisms have already been very heavily discussed in this and other Star Wars threads, such that I think people are tired of rehashing the same discussions and have arrived at the conclusion that that line of argument - criticizing Rey but defending Luke - has already exhausted all justifications that aren't sexist.

Truthfully, I haven't seen much real innovation in the discussion in quite some time, and the fact that we're now debating whether people are "pulling the sexism card" sounds very much as though the discussion really is devolving toward people reacting to being called out on actual sexism.

Or, like, are arrogant for thinking they can see that.

Watching a thing happen multiple times over the course of 2-3 weeks, and noting the varying ways in which it keeps happening, helps you predict the reliability of said thing happening again. That's not arrogance, that's paying attention.

cwmartin

- ATAT: gasps

Yo for real that sounds awful. People like watching movies with this kind of background reaction? Nothing quite takes you out of a movie experience quite like a hundred people around you screaming and reacting to everything on the screen.

Zabka

Yo for real that sounds awful. People like watching movies with this kind of background reaction? Nothing quite takes you out of a movie experience quite like a hundred people around you screaming and reacting to everything on the screen.

People screaming, laughing and gasping is what makes it a movie theater experience to me.

Johndoey

Banned
I don't know that I agree, necessarily. I've seen that the sexism (or at least, complaints about the aspect of sexism entering the conversation) card is being thrown down when the valuable discussion starts to arrive at a point where almost every other variable has been accounted for, and then that's the one that's left.

I'd agree that it gets dropped a little more frequently by people who spend a longer amount of time in the thread, but that's likely because they're also more familiar with the arc these discussions trace and can see the end result before it actually arrives.
Isn't assuming the exact path of a conversation based on vague opening statements an issue?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

At saw it on the opening night, very first showing with a full theater and then on Christmas eve with maybe 15 people.

The first viewing was so much more fun with everyone laughing and cheering at hyped moments. I was bummed out that on my second viewing the theater was so empty.

injurai

Banned

The criticisms have already been very heavily discussed in this and other Star Wars threads, such that I think people are tired of rehashing the same discussions and have arrived at the conclusion that that line of argument - criticizing Rey but defending Luke - has already exhausted all justifications that aren't sexist.

Truthfully, I haven't seen much real innovation in the discussion in quite some time, and the fact that we're now debating whether people are "pulling the sexism card" sounds very much as though the discussion really is devolving toward people reacting to being called out on actual sexism.

Fair enough. I think my hold up is just whenever I look in here, it's the same people throwing that out prematurely and I feel it's stopping new discussion. But yeah, most topics have been tread many times over in here. I still find the behavior trite, but I can understand the apprehension they have. I just tend to be curious about criticisms from a film perspective.

Surfinn

Damn these American audiences. Did they applaud at the end?

Here in California.. 17th showing was decently noisy (in a good way), applause at the end. Other 4 showings, I would have thought me and my GF were the only ones in the theater aside from a couple times. I was looking around like.. are you all asleep?

Brakke

Banned
The criticisms have already been very heavily discussed in this and other Star Wars threads, such that I think people are tired of rehashing the same discussions

This is silly though. This cycle keeps restarting because someone new comes in with their impressions, someone who probably hasn't seen the "heavy discussion" yet. If you think you've arrived at a place where you don't have any open questions yourself, and you're not really interested in helping people work through their questions, then why engage at all?

Truthfully, I haven't seen much real innovation in the discussion in quite some time

Accurate.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Jesus, that's a tight landing/departing zone. Is there like 3 feet of space on all sides?

Well, Luke is the best bush pilot in the Outer Rim territories.

People screaming, laughing and gasping is what makes it a movie theater experience to me.

What he said, it's the reason I enjoy going multiple times to see how different audiences react. Otherwise I'd just watch a movie at home by myself.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's not appropriate or enjoyable for every kind of film, but it was the perfect environment to experience this one for the first time

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Didn't hear any claps for Han, Leia, or Luke at my screening.

I'm responding to the people who get all in a huff at the thought that this blatantly obvious double standard might, just maybe, have some roots in sexism.

Also I'm hardly saying anything particularly radical or shocking. This is Feminism 101 stuff right here.

image.php

-griffy-

Banned
My opening night shownig went nuts as well. Great fun.

I like how they actually pan past the Falcon earlier in the sequence, but it's so fast you can't recognize it unless you're looking. Sneaky.
I actually looked for that on my second viewing, since when I put the geography of the scene together after my first viewing I realized it must be there earlier (which I believe also means it was in the one pre-release clip they put out too), and giggled when the camera panned past it.

So I think JJ confirmed we will only get a theatrical release right?

I hope the Blu ray extras are cool, and I really want a nice 30 min or longer behind the scene doc.

The Making of...................

This is silly though. This cycle keeps restarting because someone new comes in with their impressions, someone who probably hasn't seen the "heavy discussion" yet. If you think you've arrived at a place where you don't have any open questions yourself, and you're not really interested in helping people work through their questions, then why engage at all?

Personally, I typically do rehash the discussions, even if it means repeating points I've already made in a way that responds directly to the person I'm arguing against.

But I've tried to become more diligent about capping the discussion with an observation about how many of the criticisms against Rey appear to be one-sided dismissals of her abilities because she's a woman rather than because those abilities are implausible for her character (indeed, the most-oft-discussed piloting thing is actually occupationally appropriate for Rey whereas it isn't for Luke, which invites in a whole other angle about this discrimination being rooted in gendered occupational expectations), based on the recurring patterns that have been emerging in these arguments.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

I love that kind of thing. I'm not sure what "bringing you out of the movie" means TBH. It's not like I at any point forget I'm watching a movie. The reactions others have is genuine and cool.

I just hate when people talk during movies.

Zabka

The weird thing about the argument is that being a pilot in the Star Wars universe is not that big a deal. Luke's a poor moisture farmer and he's got a god damn armed fighter jet in his garage.

GhaleonEB

I actually looked for that on my second viewing, since when I put the geography of the scene together after my first viewing I realized it must be there earlier (which I believe also means it was in the one pre-release clip they put out too), and giggled when the camera panned past it.

Yup, it was in the pre-release clip. No one caught it, but it's there in the first second of the sequence. Bit blurry in the background as they pan past it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKXc4cqab4k

foxtrot3d

Banned
The weird thing about the argument is that being a pilot in the Star Wars universe is not that big a deal. Luke's a poor moisture farmer and he's got a god damn armed fighter jet in his garage.

It was never established that his Aunt and Uncle were poor, they seemed to be doing alright. That blue milk can't be cheap out in the middle of nowhere.

Top Bottom