• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

sphagnum

Banned
The reason I think things with Luke's academy went south relatively recently is because when we see Kylo Ren in Rey's vision he looks (in terms of physical build) basically identical to how Kylo looks in the present time, which gives me the impression that Luke has only been in exile for maybe 5 years.

Yeah, Pablo said on Twitter that the massacre was "more recent" than 15-14 years ago, which is what we were all going with for a while when we assumed that Rey was a student there. Since New Republic: Bloodline comes out in a few months and takes place 6 years before TFA, I'm thinking that may be when the betrayal happens.

True, but ESB is the movie that leaves the most questions unanswered and it's generally acknowledged as the best Star Wars movie. I understand being personally annoyed by a lack of closure, but cliffhangers creates suspense, and that leads to awesome conversations (like this one).

I absolutely agree. But I feel ESB was handled better in it's technique. I love cliffhangers and genuine feelings of 'so what happens next' but this time just felt a little more on the frustrating side.

That was your expectation though.

The motivating factors for all the major characters was "Where's Luke?"

By the end of that movie that question was answered, and we got our main character coming face to face with the Master himself.

The movie had a clear goal and we reached that goal by the end of the movie.

Yeah we want more answers, and while it did setup questions for a sequel, the movie ended properly by answering the first line in the opening.

That in itself, yes was satisfying and like you pointed out, the end of the film does provide an answer to the opening dilemma of the film - Luke Skywalker has vanished. That's fine. It was more of the style that it was done that wasn't quite to my taste. Imagine ESB like this - Vader reveals he is Luke's father to him, he falls, the film then cuts to black and credits roll. In this scenario, yeah, we're given the same information, but it would be much more of an abrupt ending. Those 5 or 10 minutes after the reveal let the audience process the information and you're given a bit more of a farewell. Yes, it still does the 'wait for episode 6!' thing that I'm not a fan of, but it's more of the film-making style here that I'm taking issue with. Just maybe a short exchange between Luke and Rey would have gone down a bit better than a booming soundtrack over just a sad faced Luke looking at her. I dunno, I still loved the film, and I'll be over it when the next few films are out, I just don't think its a technique that the film industry should keep using going forward. EDIT: See below

That question was answered as soon as the map was completed. They didn't need to show Luke at all. I think I would have preferred an ESB ending of we are off to find our friend while the other characters recover from their lose/devastation with the promise of meeting again. They could have had a funeral/memorial for Han and the Republic and ended with Rey and crew leaving for Luke.

The reason ESBs ending has a modicum of closure is because it ends at the end of a scene. It's very clearly a parting of ways. It's like leaving a friend's house at the end of a party. You don't want it to end and you know you will see them again, but it's time and you've said goodbye. TFA ends with 2 characters meeting each other. It's the start of something, not the end.

But yea, of course it was great to see Luke. I understand why they showed him, but it was a television episode ending (LOST), not a movie ending.

This puts my thoughts and feelings into words much better than I could. My sentiments exactly.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
True, but ESB is the movie that leaves the most questions unanswered and it's generally acknowledged as the best Star Wars movie. I understand being personally annoyed by a lack of closure, but cliffhangers creates suspense, and that leads to awesome conversations (like this one).
I think a bit of dissonance is taking hold in that audiences walking out of the theater after ESB felt very similar to how audiences felt after TFA, whereas audiences who didn't see ESB in theaters had the instant gratification of watching ROTJ immediately afterward available to them. It is some very interesting stuff to observe

I will say for my own part, though my opinion could change given unsatisfactory answers in the following two films, I am glad that TFA did not hand out any more information than it did or make any attempt to "wrap things up" in a singular story. It is the beginning chapter of a trilogy and feels like one.

I absolutely agree. But I feel ESB was handled better in it's technique. I love cliffhangers and genuine feelings of 'so what happens next' but this time just felt a little more on the frustrating side.

That in itself, yes was satisfying and like you pointed out, the end of the film does provide an answer to the opening dilemma of the film - Luke Skywalker has vanished. That's fine. It was more of the style that it was done that wasn't quite to my taste. Imagine ESB like this - Vader reveals he is Luke's father to him, he falls, the film then cuts to black and credits roll. In this scenario, yeah, we're given the same information, but it would be much more of an abrupt ending. Those 5 or 10 minutes after the reveal let the audience process the information and you're given a bit more of a farewell. Yes, it still does the 'wait for episode 6!' thing that I'm not a fan of, but it's more of the film-making style here that I'm taking issue with. Just maybe a short exchange between Luke and Rey would have gone down a bit better than a booming soundtrack over just a sad faced Luke looking at her. I dunno, I still loved the film, and I'll be over it when the next few films are out, I just don't think its a technique that the film industry should keep using going forward.

I can see your point.
It's definitely a TV technique.

But at the same time, I think the way it was shot with the spinning camera movement got to me more than the cliffhanger ending.

I know there will be more movies, so I have to wait. And even though that kind of "ending right before it starts" is usually done in television, I can't fault them for trying. Especially since we got the main question answered.
They've announced it as a trilogy, so I was prepared for something to leave me wanting more.

I guess Disney really really wants us to see the next one.
Chill out Disney, we will.

I agree with everything you said except for the map answering the question.

Sometimes in movies, X doesn't mark the spot.

I considered that, but really is Star Wars going to pull that? The map was too big of a deal to be wrong. Plus if they truly are planning out this Trilogy and treating the first film as a setup, more so than any other in the Saga, then they really didn't have to show Luke. You see people defending the openness of this film with "the sequels will answer it", then seeing Luke was even more unnecessary.

But if they had to show him, I think the scene should have went on a little longer. Even just a minute. Luke could have taken the lightsaber and said something like, "I've been expecting you." Rey could've have still cried. Luke could say how he has a lot to talk about and teach her, and then they walk off together into the sunset or something. It would have atleast been an ending.

I honestly thought when the Falcon took off with Rey, that's when the music would hit. The luke stuff felt like an after credits scene.

Still maintain that the ending should've been the Falcon leaving the Resistance system followed by a solo shot of Luke on the island. Same sequence, just without Rey/Falcon arriving.

Assuming a timeskip, Hamill is going to look different at the start, and we will not get the 1st words between them or anything like that.

is there any reason Mon Mothma would do something like this though?
She led the military style briefing on the attack on Death Star II in ROTJ and seemed connected to the Rebel intelligence apparatus "many bothans died".
Then she becomes chancellor of the New Republic and first order of business is to demilitarize the whole Republic? Just not buying that.
How were they sure there was not a missing "ghost fleet" of a couple dozen Stardestroyers in some outer system? Did every Imperial Admiral just give up immediately? Feels like if they did, it definitely was more of a "the Fuhrer is dead so the war is over" scenario than TFA makes it look to be.
How did the First Order come into being then if the Imperial Navy got all but dissolved? And if it didn't and there were remnants everwhere who in their right mind would dissolve the Rebel alliance's military capability?

Just feels like weak sauce world building that stems from one goal, which was to make it smaller and simpler again and less about politics, so every faction and character is basically back to where they were around ANH, cause reasons.

It's weaksauce because people want everything handed to them. You want the entire fucking move to spend endless monologues on everything that happened. Without the emperor, the Empire tore itself apart due to infighting, and the new republic constantly winning. The battle of Jakku was the turning point, and the final death blow to the Empire. What was left went into hiding,or surrendered.

The republics military was never dissolved. The new republic didn't want to be involved in a war. It was too bogged down by politics. The resistance are a private military being "funded" by the Republic.

I don't know that I agree, necessarily. I've seen that the sexism (or at least, complaints about the aspect of sexism entering the conversation) card is being thrown down when the valuable discussion starts to arrive at a point where almost every other variable has been accounted for, and then that's the one that's left.

I'd agree that it gets dropped a little more frequently by people who spend a longer amount of time in the thread, but that's likely because they're also more familiar with the arc these discussions trace and can see the end result before it actually arrives.

Precisely.

It may be assumptive, but at some point you can tell there is an "x" factor there and that sexism is likely it with certain people.

I considered that, but really is Star Wars going to pull that? The map was too big of a deal to be wrong. Plus if they truly are planning out this Trilogy and treating the first film as a setup, more so than any other in the Saga, then they really didn't have to show Luke. You see people defending the openness of this film with "the sequels will answer it", then seeing Luke was even more unnecessary.

But if they had to show him, I think the scene should have went on a little longer. Even just a minute. Luke could have taken the lightsaber and said something like, "I've been expecting you." Rey could've have still cried. Luke could say how he has a lot to talk about and teach her, and then they walk off together into the sunset or something. It would have atleast been an ending.

We want answers, but having a small info dump or even a line of dialogue wouldn't satisfy any of us the way we think it would. I personally think that was the right way to end it. Especially since I doubt we are going to start the next movie right where we left off.

I'm expecting the next film to start a couple years later with Finn waking up, and we (the audience) follow him on his journey to reunite with everyone.

And although we may get some answers on Kylo and his betrayal to his Uncle, Rey still won't know why she was abandoned until she gets back into the fight and confronts Kylo or Snoke.

GhaleonEB

Austin Walker of Giant Bomb wrote an analysis on a few of the characters, and general thoughts about the narrative, and it's a pretty good read-
http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/off-the-clock-space-opera-millennials-and-their-gr/1100-5371/

Great write up. This in particular is quite astute:

Between Hux's fascism and Ren's anger at Rey's natural prowess, The Force Awakens anticipated some of its most ardent critics well enough to personify them in the film. Ren's frustration is particularly ironic. He believes in a twisted meritocracy: Those who practice drawing upon anger and hate will one day learn utilize the force's full potential. When he is met with a person who--with no training--is able to outperform him, his worldview is so threatened that he takes drastic steps to try to reinforce it. But there are those in the world of Star Wars who are seemingly born with advantages others don't have, and this is as infuriating to Ren as it is to Rey's real life critics. Of course, this has been an uncomfortable fact about the world of Star Wars for as long as there have been Jedi, but before Rey, it went unchallenged. Suddenly, given the form of Daisy Ridley, old fans find an old truth undesirable.

Cth

Getting ready to read that analysis, but it's also amusing how Kylo who throws temper tantrums when he doesn't get his way, has an almost fanatical/religious clinging to the past (OT fans dismissive of Ep7).. one that doesn't make any allowances for something new (Rey).

So, when things don't go how Kylo expected things to (Fans who expected to see Luke kicking ass for 2 hours) they lose it and lash out.

Kylo Ren, intentional or not (and I believe it was somewhat intentional) is a great metatextual commentary on shitty Star Wars fans.

In a trilogy that will (hopefully) be about moving on from the mistakes of the past, it makes sense that the villain of the piece is a super-fan who is determined to learn the wrong lessons from everything that's happened in Star Wars.

Daemul

Kylo Ren, intentional or not (and I believe it was somewhat intentional) is a great metatextual commentary on shitty Star Wars fans.

I've made the joke before that Kylo Ren is a caricature of the man children who make up part of the Star Wars fanbase, with Han representing Lucas as the disappointing father figure.

Guy.brush

It's weaksauce because people want everything handed to them. You want the entire fucking move to spend endless monologues on everything that happened. Without the emperor, the Empire tore itself apart due to infighting, and the new republic constantly winning. The battle of Jakku was the turning point, and the final death blow to the Empire. What was left went into hiding,or surrendered.

The republics military was never dissolved. The new republic didn't want to be involved in a war. It was too bogged down by politics. The resistance are a private military being "funded" by the Republic.

Is it canon now that Mon Mothma was the one ordering demilitarization or non-involvement? I would feel better if she weren't. She was the de-facto leader of the rebel alliance and led the briefing for assault on DSII. Now years later there are new stardestroyers operating openly, the First Order trains Stormtroopers from birth (so has to be in existence for at least 20 years) and they have millions of troops and the Republic is back to being bogged down like they were during the prequels?

Guy.brush

Yeah, without digging too deep into the new EU stuff yet, I got the vibe from the film that there was maybe 20 years of peace time, and things went south within the last 10.

The First Order has trained its stormtroopers from birth for 20+ years though already as the film showed.
So there was no 20 years of peace.

Veelk

Banned

In a trilogy that will (hopefully) be about moving on from the mistakes of the past, it makes sense that the villain of the piece is a super-fan who is determined to learn the wrong lessons from everything that's happened in Star Wars.
Makes me wonder what his character arc will be from here on out. I don't actually mind a redemption arc for him, but it seems like the obvious choice. On the other hand, him doubling down on this stupidity and becoming more of a man child isn't a path that might work a second time.

I'll laugh if he tries to say Rey's abilities were bullshit in some way though. That will basically cement the metatextual read on him

Sephzilla

I've made the joke before that Kylo Ren is a caricature of the man children who make up part of the Star Wars fanbase, with Han representing Lucas as the disappointing father figure.

The Han representing Lucas thing would have more weight to it if they went into detail about Han being a shitty dad :p

Toa TAK

Banned

Just wait for the inevitable "I am Kylo Ren" movement come VIII's release.

Zabka

The First Order has trained its stormtroopers from birth for 20+ years though already as the film showed.

There was a peace treaty signed with the remnants of the Empire. The First Order broke off and grew its army in secret.

FloatOn

Makes me wonder what his character arc will be from here on out. I don't actually mind a redemption arc for him, but it seems like the obvious choice. On the other hand, him doubling down on this stupidity and becoming more of a man child isn't a path that might work a second time.

it might be a bit dark for star wars but I think someone said it here that if he realizes the error of his ways and falls on his sword (light saber) that it might be a fitting end for him.

there isn't really coming back after what he did.

Sephzilla

I think the next logical step for him should be to double down on trying to become Neo Vader. Have him become so obsessed with getting Vader-Senpai to notice him that he ends up going way further into the Dark Side than Anakin/Vader ever did.

munchie64

I'll laugh if he tries to say Rey's abilities were bullshit in some way though. That will basically cement the metatextual read on him
"She didn't earn such power, Supreme Leader. I worked hard for mine!"

Cth

The Han representing Lucas thing would have more weight to it if they went into detail about Han being a shitty dad :p

Well, Lucas was effectively sacrificed :)

And when confronted with his son's stupidity, he goes back to what he knows he's good at even if he's not so good at it(?) (read: Lucas going back to indie film roots [smuggling], distancing himself from the films/fans[kylo])

So who's Leia? :D

Toa TAK

Banned

And when confronted with his son's stupidity, he goes back to what he knows he's good at even if he's not so good at it(?) (read: Lucas going back to indie film roots [smuggling], distancing himself from the films/fans[kylo])

Kathleen Kennedy?

I'm wondering, is Rey more powerful/has a stronger connection to the force than Anakin?

Could she be another force child like Anakin? Was Anakin even a force child?

Sephzilla

I'm wondering, is Rey more powerful/has a stronger connection to the force than Anakin?

I'd straight up love them to recton Anakin being a Force Jesus. That was always dumb as hell.

I think it's possible she could have a more powerful connection to the force than Anakin, considering how quickly she picked up certain things.

Lucas is more ROTJ Palpatine.

-He had visions, thought he knew how things would turn out. (The prequels, and that everyone would like them)
-Felt he could get Luke (the fans) to turn and side with him
-When Luke (the fans) didn't side with him he lashed out (force lightning'd the fuck out of the OT with updates in newer releases)
-His arrogance was his undoing

This also means Disney = Vader

it might be a bit dark for star wars but I think someone said it here that if he realizes the error of his ways and falls on his sword (light saber) that it might be a fitting end for him.

there isn't really coming back after what he did.

I'm seeing a valiant sacrifice to return him to the light in Ep. IX and take out Snoke. Or maybe they will pull the rug on us and have Kylo kill Snoke and go batshit dark-side on everyone.

I get the feeling they are heavily hinting at her being Luke's daughter and possibly/likely the most powerful of all the Skywalkers. There are too many hints towards it (while not throwing it in people's face) for it to be a long-con red herring IMO.

Peace in the sense there wasn't a war.

The Republic was busy worrying over politics, while The First Order slowly amassed power, over the years, before committing an act of war (destroying the Senate).

sphagnum

Banned
Is it canon now that Mon Mothma was the one ordering demilitarization or non-involvement? I would feel better if she weren't. She was the de-facto leader of the rebel alliance and led the briefing for assault on DSII. Now years later there are new stardestroyers operating openly, the First Order trains Stormtroopers from birth (so has to be in existence for at least 20 years) and they have millions of troops and the Republic is back to being bogged down like they were during the prequels?
Technically speaking (and this is really nitpicky) I don't think we know if Mothma is the one who authorized the stand down. I haven't read the Visual Dictionary so I don't know if there's any information in there, but in Aftermath she proposes the idea of reducing the military by 90% after victory against the Empire is secured and instead relying on member states' planetary defense forces in an effort to prevent super centralization like under the Empire. One of the first acts of the new Senate is also rescinding the emergency powers that were still in effect from the time of the Clone Wars, which allowed Palpatine to use the Grand Army of the Republic. At the end of Lost Stars, following Jakku, Mothma does not decrease the size of the military but actually keeps it on war footing for the time being. But unless she is assassinated or something, it's reasonable to assume that after the Concordance is signed she gives the order to demilitarize.

Timbuktu

I get the feeling they are heavily hinting at her being Luke's daughter and possibly/likely the most powerful of all the Skywalkers. There are too many hints towards it (while not throwing it in people's face) for it to be a long-con red herring IMO.

This would be more interesting if she is tempted by the dark side, while Kylo sways back to the light.

Kylo going to the light in any way isn't interesting to me. We've seen that happen. The entire six movies preceding this one were retroactively made to be about that exact thing.

Kylo reacting to the light inside him by trying to go to the dark as hard as he can is more interesting. That's a thing we've never seen from a Star Wars villain before. We've seen one turn, and we've seen one already in control at pretty much all times until the very, very end. We've never seen an ambitious, half-crazy dickhead on the come-up.

Patrick Bateman becomes Tony Montana. That's the arc I wanna see for Kylo Ren.

So far as Rey goes, darkside temptation will likely be a minor thread, but I don't imagine it'll be followed up too strongly. I could see Johnson however pursuing one of the muted threads from earlier drafts of the film where Luke is "changed" somehow.

I just really like the idea that this trilogy is about Skywalker making sure the best parts of himself are carried on in future generations, but everything else gets left behind - including his lineage.

Which would necessitate that Rey isn't actually his blood relation. Doesn't mean she still can't be his daughter, though.

Lucas is more ROTJ Palpatine.

-He had visions, thought he knew how things would turn out. (The prequels, and that everyone would like them)
-Felt he could get Luke (the fans) to turn and side with him
-When Luke (the fans) didn't side with him he lashed out (force lightning'd the fuck out of the OT with updates in newer releases)
-His arrogance was his undoing

This also means Disney = Vader

I don't think his works at all for the simple fact that Lucas was never that confident. Remember he thought Close Encounters would make more money than Star Wars. He was worried Yoda would sink Empire and he pretty much new Ewoks were going or be poorly received by older fans. And in the TPM documentary he verbalizes twice that it could flop. He never seemed to care about pleasing fans (especially when you know, there were no Star Wars fans when the first movie came out). His obsession was with telling his story.

He also started messing with the OT before the prequels.

Ishida

Banned
I don't think his works at all for the simple fact that Lucas was never that confident. Remember he thought Close Encounters would make more money than Star Wars. He was worried Yoda would sink Empire and he pretty much new Ewoks were going or be poorly received by older fans. And in the TPM documentary he verbalizes twice that it could flop. He never seemed to care about pleasing fans (especially when you know, there were no Star Wars fans when the first movie came out). His obsession was with telling his story.

I admire him for it.

Peace time means a time without military conflict. It doesn't mean the bad guys weren't off doing shady shit in the unknown regions.

So kylo went apeshit on luke recently on the timeline? Thats interesting. That means Rey was dropped of before the attack on the jedi.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If Rey was left on Jakku way before Kylo's attack on the Jedi academy, it makes even less sense for Rey to be Luke's daughter.

Chuckie

If Snoke was Plagueis, why would he need the cover name?
Why not just identify himself as Plagueis?
Wasn't he somewhat of a mystery in the prequels anyway?

I get Palpatine/Sidous because he was playing two factions against each other, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

I wasn't being serious.

Although his cover name could be to hide from Sidious.
Sidious supposedly killed Plagueis.... he survived, but was weakened of course.
Toke on another name and disappeared.

I am just making shit up

Surfinn

I admire him for it.

I never really understood this perspective. I get that it's respectable in a sense that he did what he wanted to do (instead of catering to fans) but I would have truly admired him if he didn't continue "his story" in such a careless way. There's a million ways to tell a story and he chose the most uninteresting and lifeless route to do so. If you strip away the CGI and visual effects (which would have been much better received had there been good execution with the story/characters), there's hardly a plot worth exploring and it's hard to care about any of the characters. I admire what he initially created and his original vision, but what came after made me lose respect. It was just flat out poorly done, regardless of who's vision it was.

Sephzilla

i'm not being serious

Top Bottom