• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Ishida

Banned
There was nothing "pretty well explained and executed" in the prequels.

Okay then.

I also liked this about the prequels; and missed all of it in the new movie. Thr new movie is good in all the areas that the prequels were bad (like acting, character development), but bad in many of the ways the prequels were good (scope, world building).

I agree. A nice balance would've been better. I still enjoyed the new movie, though. :D

If they plan to bring TR-8R back to create some new memes it won't work, because that isn't how memes work in the first place.

Some dumb EU book could be kind of amusing though.

Fencedude

I also liked this about the prequels; and missed all of it in the new movie. Thr new movie is good in all the areas that the prequels were bad (like acting, character development), but bad in many of the ways the prequels were good (scope, world building).

Yes, and the things TFA is good at makes it a good movie, while the things the prequels are good at makes them, at best intriguing movies.

Like, acting and characters are the core point of movies. If you don't have characters, who are well acted, you almost certainly don't have a good movie by any standard definition.

If they plan to bring TR-8R back to create some new memes it won't work, because that isn't how memes work in the first place.

Some dumb EU book could be kind of amusing though.

They don't care about creating new memes. If they bring him back it's so they can sell a ton of merchandise like they've done with Boba Fett.

Xis

Yes, and the things TFA is good at makes it a good movie, while the things the prequels are good at makes them, at best intriguing movies.

Like, acting and characters are the core point of movies. If you don't have characters, who are well acted, you almost certainly don't have a good movie by any standard definition.

I can agree with this. I would say the new movie is a better film than any of the prequels, but I was disappointed that it didn't expand the universe more.

Completely tangential to film quality, but how many new alien races / vehicles / droid designs were introduced in the prequels? How many in the new movie? The new film doesn't even use very many of the original trilogy ship designs.

I saw some people upthread suggesting maybe the film should have ended before actually arriving at the island, and while I can see the argument for that, I also disagree, for completely selfish reasons: No trip to the island, no "Jedi Steps" on the soundtrack.

So the island stays.

Fencedude

Completely tangential to film quality, but how many new alien races / vehicles / droid designs were introduced in the prequels? How many in the new movie? The new film doesn't even use very many of the original trilogy ship designs.

Who cares? Why does it matter? What difference does that make at all?

I saw some people upthread suggesting maybe the film should have ended before actually arriving at the island, and while I can see the argument for that, I also disagree, for completely selfish reasons: No trip to the island, no "Jedi Steps" on the soundtrack.

So the island stays.

I mean, I think if they did that it would require a significant re-structering wherein Luke isn't the central mcguffin. I assume most people arguing that idea are approaching it from the perspective of not liking the teasing cliffhanger at the end, is that right? If so, then it'd be an even bigger tease and much less of an impactful ending if the film were to end with: "Sweet we got the map to Luke... The end!"

Sephzilla

So the island stays.

Considering the movie is built around finding Luke, the island is kind of needed at the end.

Sorcerer

I wasn't being serious.

Although his cover name could be to hide from Sidious.
Sidious supposedly killed Plagueis.... he survived, but was weakened of course.
Toke on another name and disappeared.

I am just making shit up

Sorry, about that, I know you were joking, I was throwing out a general question. I mean Plagueis was pretty much pre-Empire and all that.

The only problem I have with the Luke ending is it means we'll probably miss him seeing R2 and Chewbacca for the first time in years in VIII. I do think it would have been cool for the Falcon to hypespace and that leads straight into the "Directed by JJ Abrams" star credits.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
So will prequel haters be mad if Ewan reprises his role as obi wan in VIII?

I thought the prequels were awful, but it wasn't because I thought the cast sucked (Hayden was pretty bad, although that could also be attributed to the terrible dialogue). The cast of the prequels is damn talented. MacGregor was a great choice for young Obi-Wan, and I'd definitely like to see him reprise the role, and maybe get some good material to work with. The cast of the prequels certainly wasn't why the movies were mediocre/awful to watch.

Sephzilla

As someone who doesn't like the prequels I would be 100% supportive of Hayden and Ewan getting to reprise those roles again with an actually talented director at the helm.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
The only problem I have with the Luke ending is it means we'll probably miss him seeing R2 and Chewbacca for the first time in years in VIII. I do think it would have been cool for the Falcon to hypespace and that leads straight into the "Directed by JJ Abrams" star credits.

I think it could work if the opening scene of VIII is a little more extended sequence of the Falcon's journey to the planet in the ending (e.g. interactions b/w Rey and Chewie, a little more exploration of the island before discovering Luke). Then we get the interactions and go into training montage mode as a detailed timeskip.

Xis

Who cares? Why does it matter? What difference does that make at all?

The small number of new alien / droid / ship designs has three negative effects.
First, it makes the universe feel smaller. In a huge universe, the characters would run into new stuff all the time; if they are running into lots of stuff we've already seen, it seems as though it's because that's all the stuff there is.
Second, it makes the film feel like more of a re-tread of old material. I suppose this can also be viewed as a positive, as it is a play on nostalgia.
Third, it makes it feel as though the the universe is stagnant (although this is probably somewhat intentional). This film is set ?thirty? years after the end of the original trilogy; that's not a massive time leap, and we do see some updates (the new stormtrooper outfits), but more new "stuff" would have emphasized that this is a new era.

Plus new stuff is cool?

j-wood

Yep. As I was sitting in the theater that's exactly how I thought it was about to end. As soon as you hear that BOOM from the ship taking off, wipe to the stars and credits and the end music kicks in.

Considering the movie is built around finding Luke, the island is kind of needed at the end.

I said I could see the argument, not that I agreed with it, heh.

A lot of people just naturally assume when discussing things on the internet that the key source of all disagreement is a fundamental lack of understanding. In my experience, most of the time if I'm disagreeing with you it's because I understand the stance being taken pretty well, I just think it's not great.

I'll tell you how that dramatic scene would have played out

L: Chewie old buddy
C: WROOOOARRR
L: I missed you too, Chewie. R2..
R2: BLEEP BLOOP BLEEP *whistle* Bleep BLOOP
L: (smiles) yes, I do look like him now.
cut to next scene

....Yeah, I kinda want that scene now.
:(

EDIT: But it makes sense why we could forgive not seeing legacy characters reunite, if the two legacy characters don't speak.
But emotions and nostalgia and on screen magic goddamn it.

Brakke

Banned
Like, acting and characters are the core point of movies.

What a weirdly prescriptive attitude. You should broaden your film-consumption horizons, there's a ton of super worthwhile films out there that don't take characters or acting as their primary project.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
What a weirdly prescriptive attitude. You should broaden your film-consumption horizons, there's a ton of super worthwhile films out there that don't take characters or acting as their primary project.

This is true, but they are still the primary strengths that give more power to this particular set of films.

That's really what I thought was going to happen. Hyperspace to black screen with credits. Back To The Future style. I almost feel like they thought about that and wanted to put the Luke scene mid credits like Marvel, but changed their mind at the last minute so they didn't get crap for copying.

Interfectum

Sure but the SW prequels aren't those films.

Shitty plot, shitty placing, bad acting, crap dialogue, wooden characters... but at least Naboo looks pretty?

sphagnum

Banned
R2: BLEEP BLOOP BLEEP *whistle* Bleep BLOOP
L: (smiles) yes, I do look like him now.

Don't worry, we still might get this when they have to come up with a reason for why Force Ghost Obi-Wan looks like Ewan McGregor.

Rey: (sees Obi-Wan for the first time) But you're...so young?
Obi-Wan: Well, Luke already looks like I did, no need for two of us!

Or something.

prag16

Banned
There was nothing "pretty well explained and executed" in the prequels.

Don't do this. A garbage comment to shut down any kind of reasonable discussion. I'm all broken up that I'm not in the cool kid nuclear rage storm prequel hatred club, but somehow I think I'll get by.

I disagree. I got it the first time I watched the movies. It was clear to me the Jedi were overconfident and arrogant. So I think it was pretty well explained and executed.

Yoda even flat out stated something with regard to this, I think it was in AotC, bemoaning the increased frequency of arrogance and overconfidence in jedi as of late. Though "The Jedi" as an institution also in a broader sense exhibited those qualities, which even Yoda was probably at least partially ignorant to.

The prequels were deeply flawed movies on many levels, but I agree with almost all the good points you pointed out in your longer post about this on the last page. We don't need to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

I needed Luke at the end in any shape or form. It was necessary. It would have felt really cheap to tease Luke and not show him. And it would have been just purely cruel.

sphagnum

Banned
Yoda even flat out stated something with regard to this, I think it was in AotC, bemoaning the increased frequency of arrogance and overconfidence in jedi as of late. Though "The Jedi" as an institution also in a broader sense exhibited those qualities, which even Yoda was probably at least partially ignorant too.

Obi-Wan: His abilities have made him, well, arrogant.
Yoda: A flaw more and more common among Jedi. Too sure of themselves they are. Even the older, more experienced ones.

Surfinn

I loved the settings, the planets, I loved to see more of the universe expanded, like the Republic, the Senate. I loved to see the Jedi Order being big, but misguided and overconfident (Which led to their demise). The politics side of Star Wars interested me greatly, as did the new information about the galaxy and how it worked.

Regarding the characters, I cared for Obi Wan the most. I disliked Anakin, but that was the whole point so I think they did a pretty good job with him. I couldn't give two shits about Padme, to be honest (But I never gave any shits about Leia, either...). Palpatine stole the show, of course, especially on Episode III. McDiarmid was clearly having tons of fun. Qui Gon was a very endearing character, also.

Loved the overly choreographed and elegant ligthsaber duels (Except Anakin VS Dooku in Episode II). Loved seeing the actual wars of Star Wars. Seeing the clones fighting as a space army was incredibly intense after being disappointed with the inept, clumsy Stormtroopers of the originals. The clones just kicked all kinds of ass. Order 66 was heartbreaking. The final duel between Obi and Anakin was intense as fuck.

The soundtracks were top notch, easily on par or better than the original trilogy with the obvious exception of the very original tracks of the Imperial March or Binary Sunset.

Vader's march to the Jedi Temple with the Clone Squad marching behind him became one of the most iconic Star Wars images for me.

I can agree with a lot of this except a couple things.. OPINION incoming:

Politics (taking a significant amount of time, mind you), aside from advancing the story/enhancing the plot, largely don't belong in a space adventure, which is the heart and soul of Star Wars. Too much of it kills momentum and detracts from its simplicity. That kind of stuff is more fit for an EU or canon novel.

On Anakin and Padme.. do you not see how not liking either of them or not giving "two shits" about their characters is a massive issue (this has been reoccuring sentiment from lots of fans)? It's not like they're side characters who have little screen time. The prequels were built AROUND their rise and fall as partners/lovers. If we don't care for either of them, how can we care about anything they say or do, or what happens to them? This is the biggest issue I have with Ep. 1-3. Sure, their interactions are most interesting in Ep. 3, but had we cared for Anakin and Padme BEFORE the climax, the payoff could have salvaged what ultimately became the end product.

You're wrong about disliking Anakin being the "whole point"; we are SUPPOSED to like him so we can feel for him and his internal struggle. That doesn't mean we have to like every decision he makes, but part of the heartbreak should have been a character we love fall to the dark side. That's the whole point. In Anakin's case, there is no black or white; he was always conflicted, even as Darth Vader. We're not supposed to like him once he turns, but the point was to suffer his struggle with him, as an audience. Otherwise, what was the point of the prequels? They were centered around how and why Anakin fell to the dark side. Star Wars was never centered around the wars themselves, but rather around a family and their place within the galaxy.. even when George was in control.

You're damn right about Anakin storming the temple with clone troops. Visually and metaphorically.. that was the best scene in the entire 3 episodes by FAR. Loved it.

Arthea

Obi-Wan: His abilities have made him, well, arrogant.
Yoda: A flaw more and more common among Jedi. Too sure of themselves they are. Even the older, more experienced ones.

do you know all SW movies word by word? because that citation seems very accurate to me. Or do you look up somewhere and copy/past it.
Just curious.

sphagnum

Banned
Jackson seems to have had a much more positive experience working on the prequels than some others (notably Portman and Daniels). I remember an interview on The Daily Show where he talked about how much he loved doing the Geonosis battle because George didn't give him any direction other than essentially "stand in front of the blue screen and wave around the lightsaber" and for him that was fun and reminiscent of being a kid just using your imagination.

Different actors like different things.

Funny that he didn't like the duels in TFA though, since they were way better than his own (which, to be fair, was McDiarmid's limitation, not his).

sphagnum

Banned
do you know all SW movies word by word? because that citation seems very accurate to me. Or do you look up somewhere and copy/past it.
Just curious.

The Yoda part I copy/pasted just because I couldn't remember if he specifically said the word "arrogance" or not. But I have seen these movies way too many times.

The only movie I could probably quote almost 100% reliably is The Transformers: The Movie, because I loved that movie as a kid and watched it over and over and over and would just imitate the voices as it played out, particularly any scene with Unicron.

Surfinn

So the island stays.

People would have flipped shit if Luke wasn't in the film, especially after his inclusion in advertising.

I don't even think you need to disagree for selfish reasons; I believe, as others have said, Luke's inclusion was absolutely necessary for a strong ending/beginning point for Ep. 8. People would have criticized the ending being anticlimactic and underwhelming, especially considering the film was centered around finding him. I think it's important to visualize it without giving too much away, and I feel that was done well, even if its execution may be questionable (I enjoyed it though).

Beautiful. The music works so well, like it was designed that way.

Well, it was. They took the music from the end of "Jedi Steps" and placed it over that scene.

that edit could go viral if the right entertainment site shares it with a headline like "Is this how The Force Awakens should REALLY have ended?"

Top Bottom