• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
can we gang up, make the time machine and travel in time to see VIII already? So we have something new to talk about?
just a thought
yes please... i'm dying to know.

We want Luke for vague unspecified reasons... until we have a Force User in Rey: then we just all of a sudden have a path to Luke.
You keep repeating this as a refrain, but it isn't complicated or confusing or muddied in the least. They want Luke because they are dealing with a threat that he and only he (that they know of) has any expertise in dealing with.

Kind of weird, but my 7 year old is making the star wars characters in minecraft right now and I hear him naming Finn, FN2187. I couldn't belive that he had remembered that from a couple of weeks ago. I had to look it up to see if he was right.

Oh boy. You're back to this argument. They literally make it clear that all actions are about the good guys finding Luke and the bad guys stopping them at all costs

I never left it, so there's no coming "back" to it.

So I looked up MacGuffin and.. funnily enough I found some words from good ole George

George Lucas said:
The first building block of any Indiana Jones movie, according to Lucas, is something called the MacGuffin. The term, popularized by Alfred Hitchcock, refers to an object or goal that kicks the story into action and drives it to the third act. Hitchcock held that the less specific the MacGuffin the better. In his 1959 suspense classic, North by Northwest, the men chasing Cary Grant are after microfilm containing “government secrets”—that’s all the audience learns about why the film’s villains cause the hero so much trouble—and Hitchcock considered that to be a perfect MacGuffin, because it was so wonderfully vague. While Lucas agrees with his predecessor on the importance of the MacGuffin, his conception of the device differs significantly from Hitchcock’s. Rather than seeing it as a gimmick with the function of getting things rolling, Lucas believes that the MacGuffin should be powerful and that the audience should care about it almost as much as the dueling heroes and villains on-screen.

Now he's specifically talking about Indy films.. but I think it's safe to say that carries over to A New Hope. Where the driving force of the movie is the securing of the Plans of the Death Star and capturing R2 who has those plans and getting them to the Rebels.

Sounds kind of familiar, no?

Edit: Forgot to source the quote.

Brakke

Banned
You keep repeating this as a refrain, but it isn't complicated or confusing or muddied in the least. They want Luke because they are dealing with a threat that he and only he (that they know of) has any expertise in dealing with.

What threat? Kylo? Nobody thinks that Luke's the one to beat Kylo. Han doubts he can turn Kylo back to good, recognizing that Luke failed to do so himself. Leia thought Han was *better suited* to turn Kylo than Luke was. And Luke doesn't clearly help us beat Hux and the military any better than we're already capable of. It's not like they're going to put Luke in an X-Wing and have him fly wingman to Poe.

I can't believe there's a debate about whether the primary point of the movie was to find Luke. It's not even arguable, it factually is. As others already stated, the crawl is solely dedicated to this point. It's all Kylo gave a fuck about all movie long. It's what Leia was striving to do all movie long which includes Poe's involvement, what brings Han into the fold and it's ultimately what they focus on in the end. It's not merely a McGuffin because the ultimate goal for both the Resistance and First Order is to wipe out the other side. The reason Leia desperately wants Luke is extremely obvious. Her conversation with Han mentioned that Snoke seduced their son to the darkside ergo, she knows that Snoke is a Sith Lord. Who in the entire galaxy was more qualified to deal with a Sith Lord? She believes Luke is necessary to cut off the head of the opposing army which is often the goal of generals in war to cause confusion and chaos within the ranks. The flip side is that the First Order needs to rid of this commodity because like Palpetine before Snoke, the Jedi were the greatest threat to his rule. It's true we don't see Snoke mention finding Luke as a priority but the guy has like two or three scenes and do you think he's allowing Kylo to exert all his time running around the galaxy on this errand solely because Kylo wants to? Snoke is his master, you can bet your ass he's ordered or at minimum, approved he's primary pupil and grand resource using all his time to find Luke so clearly it's a top priority to him.

In the meantime, Snoke has his own general to focus on the opposing army and that's where Starkiller Base comes into the fold. The resistance doesn't even know about this base until the final act of the movie, it's clearly the "B" plot thread of the film. So while the true goal of both sides is to wipe the other out, that's a larger plot that will flow across the entire trilogy while the primary theme that TFA covers is finding Luke.

I never left it, so there's no coming "back" to it.

So I looked up MacGuffin and.. funnily enough I found some words from good ole George

Now he's specifically talking about Indy films.. but I think it's safe to say that carries over to A New Hope. Where the driving force of the movie is the securing of the Plans of the Death Star and capturing R2 who has those plans and getting them to the Rebels.

Sounds kind of familiar, no?

Ummm they secure the plans early and reunite R2 and Leia early. The movie is about destroying the Death Star not securing the plans.

I can't believe there's a debate about whether the primary point of the movie was to find Luke. It's not even arguable, it factually is. As others already stated, the crawl is solely dedicated to this point. It's all Kylo gave a fuck about all movie long. It's what Leia was striving to do all movie long which includes Poe's involvement, what brings Han into the fold and it's ultimately what they focus on in the end. It's not merely a McGuffin because the ultimate goal for both the Resistance and First Order is to wipe out the other side. The reason Leia desperately wants Luke is extremely obvious. Her conversation with Han mentioned that Snoke seduced their son to the darkside ergo, she knows that Snoke is a Sith Lord. Who in the entire galaxy was more qualified to deal with a Sith Lord? She believes Luke is necessary to cut off the head of the opposing army which is often the goal of generals in war to cause confusion and chaos within the ranks. The flip side is that the First Order needs to rid of this commodity because like Palpetine before Snoke, the Jedi were the greatest threat to his rule. It's true we don't see Snoke mention finding Luke as a priority but the guy has like two or three scenes and do you think he's allowing Kylo to exert all his time running around the galaxy on this errand solely because Kylo wants to? Snoke is his master, you can bet your ass he's ordered or at minimum, approved he's primary pupil and grand resource using all his time to find Luke so clearly it's a top priority to him.

In the meantime, Snoke has his own general to focus on the opposing army and that's where Starkiller Base comes into the fold. The resistance doesn't even know about this base until the final act of the movie, it's clearly the "B" plot thread of the film. So while the true goal of both sides is to wipe the other out, that's a larger plot that will flow across the entire trilogy while the primary theme that TFA covers is finding Luke.

And the only reason the TFO use Starkiller in this movie is to stop Leia from finding Luke

It seemed that was what the debate was about. Whether the point of the film was finding Luke or whether it was just the plot device.

Maybe I'm mistaken in my definition but isn't that what a MacGuffin is? A plot device that ultimately doesn't have much, if any, function within the film itself? It's a reason for characters to do things without ever actually coming into play. Or am I wrong there?

Everything was said better above
For what values of "no one"?

X0j6iA.gif

No one besides Sehzilla and Surfing was saying that.

I stand that it was the motivation for the characters, but not what the movie was OVERALL about

Surfinn

It is pretty much that simple, even though we don't know exactly how events will unfold. Snoke is obviously powerful and skilled with the force, as is Luke (last of the Jedi). Luke might know how to combat his abilities and foresight.

Ummm they secure the plans early and reunite R2 and Leia early. The movie is about destroying the Death Star not securing the plans.

Not early, no. Luke and Obi find R2 while The Empire searches for him. They then rescue Leia but the mission isn't complete until the plans are in the Rebellion's hands.. which then facilitates the final action scene in destroying The Death Star.

How is Luke Skywalker unimportant the the overall story? I can understand if Luke in the overall story amounted to nothing, but Luke is a game changer in this fight. He is going to influence a lot of whats to come in this story, regardless if he didn't actually do anything in this chapter. If Luke dies in the first 5 minutes of Ep8 without ever influencing the rest of the characters, then yeah he was MacGuffin.

So you're saying that we can't judge whether or not Luke was meaningful in this movie until we see what happens in subsequent movies?

Brakke

Banned
I don't know why you guys think we need Luke to beat Snoke. Even if Luke didn't confront The Emperor on the Death Star, the Rebellion beat the Empire. Lando gets the credit for killing Palpatine but by a quirk of timing.

Not early, no. Luke and Obi find R2 while The Empire searches for him. They then rescue Leia but the mission isn't complete until the plans are in the Rebellion's hands.. which then facilitates the final action scene in destroying The Death Star.

But the movie is about destroying the Death Star not just securing the plans.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Haha. While the similarities in the picture are definitely there, there would be no forgiveness for such a convoluted plot. That would even surpass prequel level writing.

I do agree! Just having fun with a crazy internet theory.

"Kylo Ren walks into the cloning chamber. Suddenly he is surrounded by fierce warriors of the Kamino Guard. A furious battle ensues and in the end he is victorious, though in the process his Vader DNA sample is corrupted by the blood of the fallen. He engages the clone drive and after the smoke clears a shadowy figure emerges, but not the one he expects. Enter Supreme Leader Snoke..."

I can see it now! :D

Arthea

"Kylo Ren walks into the cloning chamber. Suddenly he is surrounded by fierce warriors of the Kamino Guard. A furious battle ensues and in the end he is victorious, though in the process his Vader DNA sample is corrupted by the blood of the fallen. He engages the clone drive and after the smoke clears a shadowy figure emerges, but not the one he expects. Enter Supreme Leader Snoke..."

That's all kinds of wrong, I don't know where even to start

edited: actually I know
rule 1: NO cloning

God no

But the movie is about destroying the Death Star not just securing the plans.

The driving plot is securing those plans. Both sides are trying to secure those plans.

The difference between TFA and ANH is simply that in ANH the plans get secured before the Death Star is destroyed while in TFA the Starkiller Base is destroyed before actually finding Luke.

And technically, BB-8 and the map to finding Luke is secured before Starkiller Base is destroyed.

Edit: And in both cases.. the movie is about the Hero's Journey. Everything else is just the backdrop to that. ANH simply chronicles the meeting and beginning of the Luke/Leia/Solo hero arcs. TFA is about Rey/Finn (and to a lesser extent Poe) hero arcs and Kylo's villain arc.

The driving plot is securing those plans. Both sides are trying to secure those plans.

The difference between TFA and ANH is simply that in ANH the plans get secured before the Death Star is destroyed while in TFA the Starkiller Base is destroyed before actually finding Luke.

And technically, BB-8 and the map to finding Luke is secured before Starkiller Base is destroyed.

Finding Luke means ya know going there. Ergo why it ends there.

Surfinn

Everything was said better above

X0j6iA.gif

No one besides Sehzilla and Surfing was saying that.

I stand that it was the motivation for the characters, but not what the movie was OVERALL about

So.. the driving force behind the movie. Which is what my point was. What happens if you remove Luke from the plot entirely?

What threat? Kylo? Nobody thinks that Luke's the one to beat Kylo. Han doubts he can turn Kylo back to good, recognizing that Luke failed to do so himself. Leia thought Han was *better suited* to turn Kylo than Luke was. And Luke doesn't clearly help us beat Hux and the military any better than we're already capable of. It's not like they're going to put Luke in an X-Wing and have him fly wingman to Poe.
You are extrapolating some weird logic. Nobody is saying they want Luke to suit up and do it himself. Leia clearly knows about Snoke, knows that they are dealing with something more insidious than just military might: the power of the darkside. Luke is the only Jedi, and hence the only person she knows who knows anything about that shit. Maybe she wants him as an advisor, maybe as a mentor, hell maybe even as a warrior, but there is nothing confusing or questionable about this.

I don't know why you guys think we need Luke to beat Snoke. Even if Luke didn't confront The Emperor on the Death Star, the Rebellion beat the Empire. Lando gets the credit for killing Palpatine but by a quirk of timing.
This isn't some fan theorizing about Luke, it isn't some extratextual detail. The relevant thing is that it's what Leia thinks, and it doesn't run counter to any logic AT ALL.

televator

I feel like you're either really reaching on purpose to try to make things look bad in this movie or you really just can't pay attention. It's said in film that the FO arose from the dark side. People in the galaxy and especially Leia are aware of the role of the dark side in this conflict. Who better to bring in against the dark side, than the last Jedi who is now a master in his own right and whose lineage probably makes him one the most powerful force users ever? Leia knows it's Snoke pulling the strings on her son and it'll take more than X wings to deal with him. She needs Luke.

In the OT the other players definitely carried more weight against the empire, but Luke was essential in dealing with Vader and the Dark Side of the Force. It's not like Vader was going to sit there if Luke didn't turn himself in. And if Luke decided to chill in Dagobah during the final fight they would still have to deal with an export piloting Sith in some fashion, be it ground or space. Darth Vader on the battlefield without Luke Skywalker, is a loss.

In regards to TFA

They needed Luke to take on Snoke and Kylo.
Kylo was winning until the 2nd half when Rey started discovering her powers.

His only real loses were when he left others to do the work for him (BB-8/Falcon escape) or with Rey (when he underestimated her skill on both her escape and final fight).

So.. the driving force behind the movie. Which is what my point was. What happens if you remove Luke from the plot entirely?

You're talking to the wrong person.

I'm in agreement that finding Luke is the main motivation for our key groups.
But Finding Luke isn't what the main story is actually about. It's about a Storm trooper and a Scavenger finding their destiny.

Arthea

There are no Jedi, First Order is about their business of bringing order to the galaxy, Rey is waiting for her parents till the end of time, Finn escapes to the rim. Although, he does not escape, he gets captured and executed.
Here you go

Surfinn

You are extrapolating some weird logic. Nobody is saying they want Luke to suit up and do it himself. Leia clearly knows about Snoke, knows that they are dealing with something more insidious than just military might: powers of the darksides. Luke is the only Jedi, and hence the only person she knows who knows anything about that shit. Maybe she wants him as an advisor, maybe as a mentor, hell maybe even as a warrior, but there is nothing confusing or questionable about this.

This isn't some fan theorizing about Luke, it isn't some extra-textual detail. The relevant thing is that it's what Leia thinks, and it doesn't run counter to any logic AT ALL.

I feel like you're either really reaching on purpose to try to make things look bad in this movie or you really just can't pay attention. It's said in film that the FO arose from the dark side. People in the galaxy and especially Leia are aware of the role of the dark side in this conflict. Who better to bring in against the dark side, than the last Jedi who is now a master in his own right and whose lineage probably makes him one the most powerful force users ever? Leia knows it's Snoke pulling the strings on her son and it'll take more than X wings to deal with him. She needs Luke.

These.. and I'm not even sure why it needs to be explained when the movie literally tells you in three paragraphs what it's going to be about. That doesn't mean the trilogy won't be featuring the hero's journey or that no other pieces of the plot matter.

Brakke

Banned
I feel like you're either really reaching on purpose to try to make things look bad in this movie

Well that's silly. I don't care about doing that. Why would anybody care about doing that?

Darth Vader on the battlefield without Luke Skywalker, is a loss.

Han beats Vader at Yavin. I guess we can say that's only only because Vader is distracted by fixating on Luke. And then Akbar & Lando beat the Emperor. Maybe the Emperor would've escaped during the evacuation, so really he loses because he's distracted by fixating on Luke.

Luke only beats other Force Users by distracting them, lol.

kIdMuScLe

The movie doesn't even feel like they are even looking for Luke. My wife complained that the film was a waste. They spend 2hrs doing a whole lotta of nothing which I agreed. What was the purpose of the light saber? The cantina? The alien monster thing with the pirates? The star killer? I found all of that useless. They could've found Luke earlier and have him train Rey a bit with the force and still have kylo kill Han. I think they are trapped for the next films with Rey as Lucas trapped himself with anakin being young in the first one and the sudden fall to the dark side in the end.

Surfinn

You're talking to the wrong person.

I'm in agreement that finding Luke is the main motivation for our key groups.
But Finding Luke isn't what the main story is actually about. It's about a Storm trooper and a Scavenger finding their destiny.

I was mentioned in your post so I just wanted to clarify, sorry for confusion.

Right, and the hero's journey is the overarching, main purpose of all three films.

Shaanyboi

Banned

ImpoliteSinfulBuzzard.gif

Ishida

Banned
The movie doesn't even feel like they are even looking for Luke. My wife complained that the film was a waste. They spend 2hrs doing a whole lotta of nothing which I agreed. What was the purpose of the light saber? The cantina? The alien monster thing with the pirates? The star killer? I found all of that useless. They could've found Luke earlier and have him train Rey a bit with the force and still have kylo kill Han. I think they are trapped for the next films with Rey as Lucas trapped himself with anakin being young in the first one and the sudden fall to the dark side in the end.

The purpose was mostly nostalgia and pandering.

The movie was pretty good, though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
specifically the luke map scrap piece is the macguffin of the movie and there's nothing wrong with that, it's a basic storytelling device.

They don't know where Luke is until the end of the film. It makes sense to concentrate on the planet destroying weapon first. The purpose of the lightsaber is for Rey to realise she's powerful when tapping into the Force. Her destiny isn't to wait on Jakku for parents that aren't coming. I don't understand your second point at all. They don't seem trapped in anything yet.

Surfinn

Both sides were looking for Luke and he's mentioned by name throughout the movie, then one side finds him in the end. I don't get this concern.

If you found all of those scenes useless you weren't paying attention.. there's a lot going on there. We're not supposed to know every single answer yet, it's the first movie in a trilogy.

Rey had a ton of development in this film. So did Kylo.. I have no idea how there were two hours wasted. Rey's beginning to realize she's force sensitive and has great abilities, just like Luke. Did you feel ANH was a waste of time too?

The next two movies have a ton of potential; no one is trapped with Rey.

Well that's silly. I don't care about doing that. Why would anybody care about doing that?

Han beats Vader at Yavin. I guess we can say that's only only because Vader is distracted by fixating on Luke. And then Akbar & Lando beat the Emperor. Maybe the Emperor would've escaped during the evacuation, so really he loses because he's distracted by fixating on Luke.

Luke only beats other Force Users by distracting them, lol.

Luke is the greatest pawn.

But even if the emperor didn't escape, Vader, would have been on the battlefield.
Sure fighting him in the sky equals your chances, unless he does a spin since that's a neat trick, but getting him face to face is a different story.

Han beat Vader at Yavin, but then Vader evened the score personally, at Cloud City.

4ea883db70f20ebbd5914c7d863072e1.gif

A sith on the battlefield without a Jedi to "balance" the odds is cheating.

Arthea

people were complaining for pages to no end that a movie doesn't explain enough, that we know too little about political situation, power balance, characters (all of them), the first order, the republic, rebels, etc. and here you come in and say that you don't need anything of that, nothing about what's going on, let's just go straight to Luke and train some?
That would have ended well...

televator

Prequel defenders would. Not saying you are for sure (maybe you are, maybe you aren't) but it can come off that way when the explanations for the non existent problems you perceive in the film are so hard to miss... You either have be consciously trying to omit multiple whole parts the movie or you really are that profoundly bad at paying attention.

Surfinn

I like that Han doesn't even think twice, he just pulls out his blaster and immediately shoots at Darth fucking Vader. This man had to be frozen in carbonite twice. Once for him and once for his giant set of balls.

Lol, this got me. One of the greatest moments in SW history.

Brakke

Banned
Prequel defenders would. Not saying you are for sure (maybe you are, maybe you aren't) but it can come off that way when the explanations for the non existent problems you perceive in the film are so hard to miss... You either have be consciously trying to omit multiple whole parts the movie or you really are that profoundly bad at paying attention.

I paid real close attention both times I watched it. I cite just as much evidence as anyone. Some people just weight their evidence differently than they weight mine.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I like that Han doesn't even think twice, he just pulls out his blaster and immediately shoots at Darth fucking Vader. This man had to be frozen in carbonite twice. Once for him and once for his giant set of balls.

Fucking fantastic.

It's a badass moment.

And we're due to see a new Force practitioner so strong he doesn't need a saber to block blaster fire.

It doesn't matter whether we believe he's necessary to beat Snoke or not, Leia, the General of the Resistance believes they need him for it. Fans actually feel the opposite, many speculate that Rey and Ren will team up to beat Snoke in Episode IX. Luke is more necessary for training Rey than anything else at this point.

Brakke

Banned
It doesn't matter whether we believe he's necessary to beat Snoke or not, Leia, the General of the Resistance believes they need him for it. Fans actually feel the opposite, many speculate that Rey and Ren will team up to beat Snoke in Episode IX. Luke is more necessary for training Rey than anything else at this point.

I agree, Luke is more useful as an instrument for Rey than in himself.

Top Bottom