• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

GhaleonEB

I can accept Vader Blocks it with the force all you have to do is show me the evidence, the official novelization, DVD commentary, interviews whatever. until then at no point in the OT is it shown moving things with the force requires nothing less then near absolute focus and concentration.

Until then Blaster Proof Armor, force pull.

Oh my god. That's how the Force works!

I can accept Vader Blocks it with the force all you have to do is show me the evidence, the official novelization, DVD commentary, interviews whatever. until then at no point in the OT is it shown moving things with the force requires nothing less then near absolute focus and concentration.

What is wrong with you?

OMG how is this conversation still happening. Why would he have special gloves/armor? Why?!

The lightsaber duel was weak imo. Kylo should've washed finn and rey. I mean yeah he was injured but they had nowhere near his level of training.

We have no idea the level of training Kylo actually received. For all we know the slaughter might have happened a week after Ben arrived at Luke's academy.

Snake

Not that it hasn't been covered before but:

When I was watching TFA today I made special note that Maz Kanata explicitly says to Rey that Rey knows, deep down, that the people who left her on Jakku are not coming back, and immediately says that that Luke is her future. This makes no sense if Luke was the one who left her there. So for now, as best as we can possibly know, I'm strongly against the idea that they intend to make Luke into Obi-Wan the Desert Child Abandoner version 2.0.

But while my personal hope is that Rey is not descended from anyone notable, I can't deny that they left it as an explicit mystery by hiding Han's dialogue when he was asked about Rey by Maz Kanata, after which Maz follows Rey below and speaks to her about the force/destiny/etc.

On a similar note, a number of people believe they observed Han seeming particularly guilty when he hears Rey talk about her life/abandonment on Jakku, but I still didn't quite see that. Maybe I need a third trip to the theater.

The lightsaber duel was weak imo. Kylo should've washed finn and rey. I mean yeah he was injured but they had nowhere near his level of training.

Guy was bleeding from an open blaster bolt wound to his stomach while fighting them. It was taking everything he had just to remain upright and pissed. He wasn't pounding his side because he was trying to intimidate them. Shit looked like it hurt like hell.

It's also not clear exactly just how much training he had. Stomping around while wearing a mask looking intimidating was pretty much the only thing he seemed to be trained in. Everything else looked like he was Antonio Salieri pretending to be Mozart. I mean he couldn't even get the image of the last map piece out of Rey even though she had literally no knowledge of how to resist a Jedi mind probe.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I hope we get a better handle on the relative sizes of The First Order and Resistance vs The Republic. How much power do any of these factions even have left after the events of this movie?

We're told the Republic was destroyed, but if it's the galactic ruling body there should still be some of its navy left somewhere.

The First Order got Star Killer base and an indeterminate amount of forces blown up. How many more troops do they have left? How many more Star Destroyers? Everything seems to indicate they aren'tbra nearly as large as the Empire but it's kind of impossible to judge their level of thread.

The Resistance's military power is just a big ol' question mark. They still seem to have Admiral Ackbar so does that mean they have access to Mon Calamari capital ships?

I think it'd be fun if part of the next movie is the Resistance and First Order scrambling to ally up respective systems as the galaxy is in chaos from having no Republic.
I even forgot the Republic was blown up in this movie, the movie was so fast paced that something like this that could have huge implications for the rest of the trilogy was quickly brush over and forgotten for the next big set piece.

Someone in my twitter mentioned how this movie feels more like a middle of the trilogy movie more than a movie a starts a trilogy and I agree, scenes like the Death Star 2.0 destroying those planets felt like they needed a bit more backdrop for me to care. A moment like the republic getting blown up would've had more of an emotional impact if we had at least seen a bit of it and its importance in this new world state before getting destroyed.

I'm strongly against the idea that they intend to make Luke into Obi-Wan the Desert Child Abandoner version 2.0.

12400972_101538580195ipumh.jpg

Not

Banned
Wait what a new thread really holy crap wow

Seeing this again Wednesday! Awwwww yeah. Can't wait to watch Kylo Ren get his ass handed to him on a cold, steel platter a second time

When I was watching TFA today I made special note that Maz Kanata explicitly says to Rey that Rey knows, deep down, that the people who left her on Jakku are not coming back, and immediately says that that Luke is her future. This makes no sense if Luke was the one who left her there. So for now, as best as we can possibly know, I'm strongly against the idea that they intend to make Luke into Obi-Wan the Desert Child Abandoner version 2.0.

But while my personal hope is that Rey is not descended from anyone notable, I can't deny that they left it as an explicit mystery by hiding Han's dialogue when he was asked about Rey by Maz Kanata, after which Maz follows Rey below and speaks to her about the force/destiny/etc.

On a similar note, a number of people believe they observed Han seeming particularly guilty when he hears Rey talk about her life/abandonment on Jakku, but I still didn't quite see that. Maybe I need a third trip to the theater.

He just looked like someone who was kinda sad and empathetic that a girl her age had never seen trees and the like

GhaleonEB

I think they're going to have a family origin twist in the second film, and instead of Empire, which dropped it out of nowhere, they're dropping hints in one direction but are going to pivot in another. I don't think anyone would be shocked if she was a Skywalker; probably some disappointment if they went that route given how telegraphed it is.

I'm still hoping she turns out to really be a random nobody - that would be a great twist.

I even forgot the Republic was blown up in this movie, the movie was so fast paced that something like this that could have huge implications for the rest of the trilogy was quickly brush over and forgotten for the next big set piece.

Someone in my twitter mentioned how this movie feels more like a middle of the trilogy movie more than a movie a starts a trilogy and I agree, scenes like the Death Star 2.0 destroying those planets felt like they needed a bit more backdrop for me to care. A moment like the republic getting blown up would've had more of an emotional impact if we had at least seen a bit of it and its importance in this new world state before getting destroyed.

You forgot?

A movie that had an expository scene saying they were going to blow up the Republic, followed by a lengthy Nazi speech where they said they were going to blow up the Republic, followed by a massive scene where they blew uo the Republic followed by Finn saying they blew up the Republic, followed by I believe Leia's camp saying they blew up the Republic.

Now is that the pace or you not paying attention?

You know who's not coming back anymore?

Han.

:p

I think they're going to have a family origin twist in the second film, and instead of Empire, which dropped it out of nowhere, they're dropping hints in one direction but are going to pivot in another. I don't think anyone would be shocked if she was a Skywalker; probably some disappointment if they went that route given how telegraphed it is.

I'm still hoping she turns out to really be a random nobody - that would be a great twist.

Maybe she was conceived by the midichlorians. You know, a virgin birth.

/ducks flying projectiles

donny2112

Here's some helpful reminders from our 22nd President!

Awesome! So glad to hear that Snoke's definitely not Plagueis. Did not want to attract any further midi-chlorian nonsense to the new sequels. Hopefully Luke learned the true nature of the force from his studies at the first temple and found that midi-chlorians aren't what the apocryphal prequels tried to make them out to be. Oh, and maybe he can find Vader's real dad, too, and prove his mom was just repressing the experience. That'd kill the main issues with Ep. 1 for me!

Maybe she'll turn out to be descended (e.g. great-granddaughter) from Vader's real dad, and his mom was just repressing the experience!

Ishida

Banned
Awesome! So glad to hear that Snoke's definitely not Plagueis. Did not want to attract any further midi-chlorian nonsense to the new sequels. Hopefully Luke learned the true nature of the force from his studies at the first temple and found that midi-chlorians aren't what the apocryphal prequels tried to make them out to be. Oh, and maybe he can find Vader's real dad, too, and prove his mom was just repressing the experience. That'd kill the main issues with Ep. 1 for me!

The prequels are staying. Sorry, but they won't be retconning out anything.

Dat salt is delicious. :p

give the oscar to the hair and makeup department for making that goofball look kinda depp/edward scissorhands-esque in his sith getup.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
You forgot?

A movie that had an expository scene saying they were going to blow up the Republic, followed by a lengthy Nazi speech where they said they were going to blow up the Republic, followed by a massive scene where they blew uo the Republic followed by Finn saying they blew up the Republic, followed by I believe Leia's camp saying they blew up the Republic.

Now is that the pace or you not paying attention?

I forgot because the movie gives absolutely no room for this moment to sink in, inmediately after this happens there's big set piece in the planet where the bar of the alien with the big glasses is, absolutely no mention of its implications and impact.

Also since there's not backdrop on the importance of this new republic in this current state of the universe the new trilogy takes place in, I felt absolutely nothing at that scene which should not be the case since I'm pretty sure it's going to be a pivotal moment for this new trilogy.

donny2112

The prequels are staying. Sorry, but they won't be retconning out anything.

It's not retconning anything. It's just using later knowledge to explain the mistakes in earlier thinking. It's not saying the prequels didn't exist. Just that they were wrong at some parts (which they were in ways with direct contradictions to the OT).

Edit:
The Star Wars Special Editions are a retcon, for example. Actually changing some (minor) things from the real OT.

Maz says that whoever she's waiting for isn't coming back. Rey is waiting specifically for her parents. That could still mean she was left on the planet by Luke. In fact, when she says "Whoever you were waiting for on Jakku, they’re never coming back. But there’s someone who still can", the grammatically correct interpretation is that Luke is coming back, as in Rey has known Luke at some point.

Not that the grammatically correct interpretation is necessarily the right one :p

It's gonna be interesting to see how the new canon authors treat young Ben. He'll be all over the books soon since he was born a year after Endor at the latest.

Be funny if Chewie hated Ben from the beginning and growled at him like the giant walking dog he is.

Dai101

Banned

What the fuck?

This is a new level of ADD, or you really should put down your phone.

prag16

Banned

I guess I can why some people think her being a Skywalker makes the universe too small, etc.

However, I don't see how her being a random could possibly be construed as a "great twist". It's something that would strike me as more in line with the Dark Helmet Lone Star reveal... "What's that make us..." "...Nothing..."

....ok then. "Great twist" seems like a weird way to characterize something like that. I'd go a step further and say her being a random almost trivializes the Force in some ways, implying some random can come along and overpower a (at least somewhat) trained albeit weakened member of the Skywalker line. My complaint there would be similar to the complaints people make about Finn being overmatched by a random stormtrooper.

If they want to go for a twistier thing, make her a Kenobi (BobbyRoberts has been pounding the table for this).

Branduil

Blaster Bolts also bounced round in the Death Star's Garbage Compactor. There is no certainty that it's the force.

You're saying Vader's Gloves are magnetically sealed like the trash compactor?

or at the least have a magnetic field around them.

Again you have no proof.

Not sure why that would be more believable than him just using the Force to do it.

If he used the force the blaster bolts never would have reached his hands, and he wouldn't have had to raise both of them.

What is happening here

I forgot because the movie gives absolutely no room for this moment to sink in, inmediately after this happens there's big set piece in the planet where the bar of the alien with the big glasses is, absolutely no mention of its implications and impact.

Also since there's not backdrop on the importance of this new republic in this current state of the universe the new trilogy takes place in, I felt absolutely nothing at that scene which should not be the case since I'm pretty sure it's going to be a pivotal moment for this new trilogy.

Ok. So what did you want them to do? Do a 10 minute funeral scene?

It's war they attacked simultaneously on two fronts.

The movie took great pains to tell you exactly what they were doing and why. It also made it clear that stopping Leia from finding Luke was their most important goal, hence why they launched an assault on Maz's castle (that's her name btw) at the same time so as to get BB-8.

Destroying the Senate was an on the fly backup plan designed to cut off Leia's group from support and make preventing her from getting to Luke easier to achieve.

Stopping for some somber funeral would have done no favours for the pacing.

I mean yes it'll be a plot point later but in the now of the film it was a side story. It's not really the movie's fault that you couldn’t remember something they told you was going to happen, showed you happen and then reminded you it happened.

GhaleonEB

I guess I can why some people think her being a Skywalker makes the universe too small, etc.

However, I don't see how her being a random could possibly be construed as a "great twist". It's something that would strike me as more in line with the Dark Helmet Lone Star reveal... "What's that make us..." "...Nothing..."

....ok then. "Great twist" seems like a weird way to characterize something like that. I'd go a step further and say her being a random almost trivializes the Force in some ways, implying some random can come along and overpower a (at least somewhat) trained albeit weakened member of the Skywalker line. My complaint there would be similar to the complaints people make about Finn being overmatched by a random stormtrooper.

If they want to go for a twistier thing, make her a Kenobi (BobbyRoberts has been pounding the table for this).
The twist being, there is no twist. :p

0% chance that happens, of course.

nah, it doesn't feel nearly as important as it should have. again, this is the usual abrams problem of moving so fast and not really allowing much time to cool down and also i understand he had to cut a lot out for time purposes. but i didn't realize the freaking republic was bombed until i went back on this forum.

not because i didn't hear it, i definitely heard it in the film. but i was kinda shocked that they did that and glossed over it so quickly that i thought i must have misunderstood the scene somehow.

Ok. So what did you want them to do a 10 minute funeral scene?

It's war they attacked simultaneously on two fronts.

The movie took great pains to tell you exactly what they were doing and why. It also made it clear that stopping Leia from finding Luke was their most important goal, hence why they launched an assault on Maz's castle (that's her name btw) at the same time so as to get BB-8.

Destroying the Senate was an on the fly backup plan designed to cut off Leia's group from support and make preventing her from getting to Luke easier to achieve.

Stopping gor some somber funeral would have done no favours for the pacing.

I mean ye it'll be a plot point later but in the now of the film it was a side story. It's not really the movie's fault that you couldn’t remember something they told you was going to happen, showed you happen and then reminded you it happened.
That seems to be a problem.

which is why Finn got "washed"

It's funny how the excitement can warp your perception.
I thought Finn lasted longer until I saw it again for the second time.

Kylo was angry at Finn (for betraying the order and causing their main plans to fail).
It's why he screamed "Traitor!"

He wanted to humiliate and torture Finn which is why he shoved a lightsaber beam into his shoulder.

Kylo underestimated Finn's determination and skill and got hit. After that the game was over.

Kylo literally took milliseconds to end the fight quickly after that.

That seems to be a problem.

But I mean it is a side story because largely the politics aren't likely going to be important as much this time around.

And the attack on Hosnian Prime is given weight because it's the turning point in Finn's story. It's when he decides to stop running.

I just don't know what people wanted. The movie to just stop. It's fucking war. You don't really get to mourn right away.

Top Bottom