• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

When the hell did that happen...I don't remember this.

I just saw a fraction of the episode today, so I have no idea if it was new or not or really what the episode was even about. My oldest changed the channel and it was on, near the end of the episode and I saw the aforementioned scene.

If it helps at all (more Star Wars Rebels spoilers, again just in case)
As I was leaving the room the last thing I saw was the older Jedi character playing space chess against one of the older Clone-Troopers.

We never did learn why Luke chose to go to the first Jedi Temple.

I'm sure there are plenty of places in the galaxy where he could go meditate and hide out from the FO. What's the significance of that place to him? What is he looking for? Does Snoke know what he's looking for and that's why he's so hellbent on destroying him?

We'll find out May 2017 (or earlier for those who choose the spoiled lifestyle)

Surfinn

I'm sure there are plenty of places in the galaxy where he could go meditate and hide out from the FO. What's the significance of that place to him? What is he looking for? Does Snoke know what he's looking for and that's why he's so hellbent on destroying him?

Good questions, was wondering these myself.

Snake

I'm guessing that it wasn't for a specific goal or item. He just had no more ideas of his own on how to proceed after his failure with Ben Solo, so he returned to where it all began to see if he could gain some deeper insight. And I'm betting that it didn't particularly help, but that Rey will be the sign he was waiting for.

heidern

So, The Force Awakens sure was a Star Wars movie, right guys?

Seeing as the force went from something that required diligent training to even use, let alone master, to something that is being mastered in seconds, then no, it's not a real Star Wars movie.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Seeing as the force went from something that required diligent training to even use, let alone master, to something that is being mastered in seconds, then no, it's not a real Star Wars movie.

It's the Force.

You can do whatever you want with it.

GhaleonEB

It did seem like firing on the Republic was a secondary concern to Snoke. It'd be nuts if he was that scared of Luke that he commissioned the construction of a giant superlaser in the guts of a planet solely to find where he was hiding and blow it up.

The scene where Hux pitches his idea to Snoke does seem odd. He's like, let's use the giant super weapon to cripple the Republic, as if he just came up with he idea to please daddy. And Snoke is like, great idea, go for it. It felt like step 1 was build giant super weapon, and there was no step 2 until then.

Here we go again. Luke picks up on the Force instantly in ANH.

The scene where Hux pitches his idea to Snoke does seem odd. He's like, let's use the giant super weapon to cripple the Republic, as if he just came up with he idea to please daddy. And Snoke is like, great idea, go for it. It felt like step 1 was build giant super weapon, and there was no step 2 until then.

Here we go again. Luke picks up on the Force instantly in ANH.

Eh, I mean Luke did have some brief training by Obi-Wan in ANH who was a jedi knight, and even then he didn't even use his lightsaber in actual combat until ESB after receiving training from Yoda. The only actual force ability he used was lift/levitate. There was the scene where he pulled his lightsaber in the snow to kill the wompa and the scene where he lifted his X-Wing out.

Even then most of his force abilities don't come into fruition until RotJ. Where he has force choke, trick, lightsaber blocking and all the other tricks.

I'm not arguing for the whole Mary Sue thing but Rey has near jedi knight capabilities with her already using force trick (which we first see Obi-Wan use in ANH) and she can force pull.

edit:Where he tried to lift his X-Wing out, Yoda lifted it but Luke did pretty damn well being a novice still.

MMarston

Are there any other newcomers we know of aside from Del Toro or Mbatha-Raw/Maslany/Rodriguez/Cooke in VIII?

Zabka

The Force is about faith, not training. Has been since the first movie.

Maz activated Rey's feel for the force, she just progressed much faster than Luke,

Plus if she does turn out to be a Skywalker or Kenobi, could be also why she progressed so fast.

Either way, love this fucking movie. Can't wait till rogue one in Dec and VIII 6 months or so after.

Edit: and like the dude above said, it was about faith. It was a religion, as mentioned multiple times in ANH.

Welp, a huge majority of the TFA Tumblr fandom just cried themselves to sleep while simultaneously wishing death on John Boyega

"Finn x Poe isn't canon, it's all in Oscar Isaac's head" - John Boyega.

Sorry shippers.

donny2112

I was just thinking about this movie again and have a crazy theory: (Someone may have thought of this as well.)

- What if Snoke is actually the father of Anakin?

Shmi Skywalker obviously doesn't know who the father is and the virgin birth thing could be discarded.

There was a theory that Snoke was Plagueis and that Plagueis used the midi-chlorians to cause an "emergence" that produced Anakin. Very similar to your moisture evaporators in most respects theory, at least. If yours gets rid of the misguided idea to limit the force to some germs, then that works!

GhaleonEB

Eh, I mean Luke did have some brief training by Obi-Wan in ANH who was a jedi knight, and even then he didn't even use his lightsaber in actual combat until ESB after receiving training from Yoda. The only actual force ability he used was lift/levitate. There was the scene where he pulled his lightsaber in the snow to kill the wompa and the scene where he lifted his X-Wing out.

Even then most of his force abilities don't come into fruition until RotJ. Where he has force choke, trick, lightsaber blocking and all the other tricks.

I'm not arguing for the whole Mary Sue thing but Rey has near jedi knight capabilities with her already using force trick (which we first see Obi-Wan use in ANH) and she can force pull.

edit:Where he tried to lift his X-Wing out, Yoda lifted it but Luke did pretty damn well being a novice still.

I was replying to the argument that "the force went from something that required diligent training to even use", which is just patently not true.

This is a farmer who has never used a sword before, about one minute after having blinders put on him, using the Force for the first time, shortly after learning of its existence for the first time, after just a couple sentences from Obi-wan:

tumblr_l31pvhSTKZ1qznd83o1_500.gif

Luke also had zero subsequent training before his "use the Force" moment at the end of ANH. Luke comes out pretty strong right out the gates, no "diligent training" before he could do so. It came from instinct.

Jinroh

Fan theories...

Snoke might be Plagueis, Darth Vader, Anakin's father, and what else now?

It takes me back to silly fan theories back in the early 00's saying that Darth Sidious was Palpatine's clone.

People always want a character to be someone we know or something special. And when we'll look back at those fan theories in a few years we'll realize it was no different than 15 years ago.

MMarston

Fan theories...

Snoke might be Plagueis, Darth Vader, Anakin's father, and what else now?

We had that really dumb one wherein Rey was Shmi Skywalker.

At first we thought the guy who brought it up was joking, but he pushed it real hard.

I was replying to the argument that "the force went from something that required diligent training to even use", which is just patently not true.

This is a farmer who has never used a sword before, about one minute after having blinders put on him, using the Force for the first time, shortly after learning of its existence for the first time, after just a couple sentences from Obi-wan:

Luke also had zero subsequent training before his "use the Force" moment at the end of ANH. Luke comes out pretty strong right out the gates, do diligent training before he could do so.

Oh I know, but Luke at least had someone to teach him. In a weird way I guess you could say that Ren taught Rey somewhat. He introduced her to the force in a way Obi-Wan did to Luke but on opposite ends of the spectrum.

But still that was actual training for Luke and not a combat situation. While the scene is short, Luke is still getting training from Obi-Wan. Luke still doesn't use a lightsaber in combat until the end of ESB.

For years I've been wondering how to approach this series with my children. Now that I love this one I think a new hope is a waste.

5, 6, 7,8,9, 4.

Never 3,2,1

Oh I know, but Luke at least had someone to teach him. In a weird way I guess you could say that Ren taught Rey somewhat. He introduced her to the force in a way Obi-Wan did to Luke but on opposite ends of the spectrum.

But still that was actual training for Luke and not a combat situation. While the scene is short, Luke is still getting training from Obi-Wan. Luke still doesn't use a lightsaber in combat until the end of ESB.

Maz introduced Rey to the force initially and there was also the whole anakins/Luke's light saber calling out to Rey.

Plus, Rey was already drawn to the force, as she had studies/researched the force/Jedi and what not but thought it was all a myth.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
For years I've been wondering how to approach this series with my children. Now that I love this one I think a new hope is a waste.

5, 6, 7,8,9, 4.

Never 3,2,1

Why ruin the Vader twist for them?

Starting with ESB would just confuse them. Seriously, ANH is fantastic and your kids might like it better than you did.

In fact it's better than ROTJ.

As for the prequels, when did ROTS become bad all of a sudden. I thought it was okay. Critics and fans seemed to like it notably more than 1 and 2 at the time too.

You know, I think I've been waching these films for too long now. Watching this, it just dawned on me: you would have thought that this entire training sequence was some makeshift thing put together by Obiwan using available resources on the falcon. IE helmet and remote.

So since the prequels established that this was actually a training exercise for the younglings, this means that Obiwan had an adult sized version of this helmet sitting in storage for 20 years, and brought it aboard the Falcon? Ok, back to bed....

EDIT: Never mind. I just youtubed the youngling training scene and its a different helmet. So much for my attempt at being clever....still a silly idea that seemed more like a 'aha' fan service moment, but thats another topic.

I feel as though Han Solo's "it's all real" speech is the audience trigger to understanding how Rey knows so much. The force/jedi/mind-tricks have all become part of shared stories and legend over the ~30 years since Luke.

I feel as though Han Solo's "it's all real" speech is the audience trigger to understanding how Rey knows so much. The force/jedi/mind-tricks have all become part of shared stories and legend over the ~30 years since Luke.

Perhaps, but being aware of the myths/legends shouldnt equate to knowing how to use these abilities off the bat just because you're force sensitive. The ability to screw with someone's mind should come with some level of training. Or is it just a case of 'willing' it to happen I suppose? Sort of like visualizing someone to say/ do something against their will, and projecting those thoughts onto the person somehow?

GhaleonEB

Reading back through the old pre-production threads and such - threads I never read while they were ongoing. This is the first cast photo.

Poe and Finn sitting in a love seat together. Carrie telling Daisy not to go through the crew like wildfire. Hamill is not looking at a script, because he has no lines.

It all makes sense now.

MMarston

Reading back through the old pre-production threads and such - threads I never read while they were ongoing. This is the first cast photo.

Poe and Finn sitting in a love seat together. Carrie telling Daisy not to go through the crew like wildfire. Hamill is not looking at a script, because he has no lines.

It all makes sense now.

Kenny Baker just sitting in his box like he dgaf.

Bishop89

There is so much silly crap that's technically canon even in the new EU. I caught a fraction of Star Wars Rebels today (spoiler in case it was a new episode or something)
Where two Darkside Force Users were able to block blaster bolts from a damn SHIP with their light sabers and then hold the ship in place while it was trying to fly away.

That is all kinds of ridiculous. But it's technically canon because.
Starkiller bringing down a star destroyer was cool as in the force unleashed

nomis

ZqZPyPem.jpg

The fact that JJ and Lawrence were able to preemptively parody fans like you in the film itself is beyond incredible. Every day that passes since I've seen it, I've become more impressed with the script.

Luke also had zero subsequent training before his "use the Force" moment at the end of ANH. Luke comes out pretty strong right out the gates, no "diligent training" before he could do so. It came from instinct.

Yeah, but, see Rey has a vagina, so this shit should be taking her approximately 50% longer than Luke, not 90% less.

You know, I think I've been waching these films for too long now. Watching this, it just dawned on me: you would have thought that this entire training sequence was some makeshift thing put together by Obiwan using available resources on the falcon. IE helmet and remote.

So since the prequels established that this was actually a training exercise for the younglings,

It was completely makeshift on the part of Obi-Wan back in 1977, you are correct. It became a "thing" in the Jedi academy because at some point pre-1999 George Lucas became a bit of a hack.

Welp, a huge majority of the TFA Tumblr fandom just cried themselves to sleep while simultaneously wishing death on John Boyega

"Finn x Poe isn't canon, it's all in Oscar Isaac's head" - John Boyega.

Sorry shippers.

What is their actual reaction though? I didn't care either way.

Chuckie

It was completely makeshift on the part of Obi-Wan back in 1977, you are correct. It became a "thing" in the Jedi academy because at some point pre-1999 George Lucas became a bit of a hack.

Yeah that thought came to me instantly when the younglings were training. "Is this official Jedi training now? :/ "

Moonkid

Seen it for the third time, now in laser IMAX 3D. Holy shit brehs, this was good. Aside from the standard IMAX praise, I noticed smaller details like sand brushing off vehicle debris on Jakku and the other ships stationed at Starkiller base. I'm definitely going to be watching the next one in the same format if they choose to do so, it's just phenomenal. My feelings on the film itself are the same, and I really do hope Rian Johnson picks up the ball on filming the actors/actresses in a way they can actually act beyond facial expressions and their delivery of dialogue. Too much of the film was two people standing and talking, switching to and fro.

Top Bottom