• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Arthea

Watching Kylo Ren in the movie made it all the more apparent how creatively bankrupt Lucas and many expanded universe products (mainly the games, don't know much about the rest) when it comes to how the Force could be used.

In the prequels, they use force-speed once when they don't really need it, but other than that they just force push, pull, lightsaber-throw, throw stuff and lightning, with varying degrees of power. Like they just copy-pasted everything from the Jedi Knight games.

Speaking of, in the games, they do the same, except amped up to 11. Bringing down a star destroyer? Sure, why not, that only makes you 50 times stronger than Yoda. No biggie.

In TFA however, Kylo is able to freeze laser bolts in mid-air, mind-read/mentally torture people - though that one looks kinda dumb to me - and immobilize someone completely. Also, most of his powers he can hold 'active' while doing other stuff.

If you think about it, they're all variations on existing Force powers (respectively, telekinesis, mind persuasion and force choke), but they're different enough to feel new, powerful and to look cool in a surprising kind of way. The point is that in all those years no-one could be bothered to come up with something as mildly new as those. Up until Episode 7, growing more powerful as a Jedi/Sith simply meant being able to do more of the same + unlocking Force-lightning or Force-persuasion if you were good enough and depending on whether you were on the dark side or the light.

But to me, the Force is not this set of predefined powers you get as you progress (except in video games where it makes sense from a gameplay perspective). It's just a/the fabric of the universe that Force users are able to use to gain more control over reality. In that sense, the way the Force works should be unique to the user, and a reflection of that user's personality, desires and flaws. The Force is an insight into the user's psychology.

Take the Emperor: to me, he's the guy who's able to tell the future to a degree and summon lightning bolts from his fingers. Those are both a testament to how "in tune" he is with the Force (he essentially has a handle on fate and the elements) and a manifestation of his arrogance and pure hatred.

Likewise, Kylo's way of using the Force is that of someone who hates not being in control. He holds laser bolts in place, he forcefully extracts information from other people when they can't be convinced by any other means, and when he meets Rey, he doesn't choke her: he completely paralyzes her.

So, for that alone, I'm grateful that TFA and Kylo are the way they are. They make the Force ever-so-slightly fresher and a useful tool for storytelling once again, as opposed to an empty excuse for more special effects and pseudo-badass moments to wow kids and fanboys. The Force is interesting once again.

That's very nice post you have here, only one thing, I'm not entirely sure that was mind reading per se. It looks like one, but it seems to be something like a force link (for lack of a better word), because when he did it with another force user - Rey, she could read what's on his mind too. It also seems not very precise, so maybe it's a force vision of sorts.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
That's very nice post you have here, only one thing, I'm not entirely sure that was mind reading per se. It looks like one, but it seems to be something like a force link (for lack of a better word), because when he did it with another force user - Rey, she could read what's on his mind too. It also seems not very precise, so maybe it's a force vision of sorts.

I thought it was akin to the mindreading in Pacific Rim; both individuals involved can read each other's minds and memories...

Sephzilla

True, but as we all know, when ANH came out Leia wasn't Vader's daughter. That was a plot-point fleshed out between ESB and ROTJ. By the same token, Han was tortured for info instead of having it extracted. Its 'on the fly' storytelling at its finest.

The force was introduced in such vague terms and definitions that the leeway was and is there to come up with any power imaginable. No doubt we'll see more and more powers introduced in this new trilogy.

Just to correct you on this one, technically Han was just tortured for the sake of torture. When they put Han back in his cell one of the first things he says to Leia is "they didn't even ask any questions"

Killing his father should make him more powerful, as it made his "light" go away, and become closer to the dark side. There was no remorse when he killed him. That is just a theory we put on him to make him weaker. When Anakin killed all the children, he grew in strength, and no matter how hard it is to kill your father, killing a dozen children should be far more traumatic.
Agree. I think the greatest thing holding back Ren in the fight was definitely the blast in the gut. We have absolutely zero frame of reference for his relationship with Han, other than it's quite obvious that he loathes him and disowned him.

Force powers are being made up as time goes along. If Anakin/Vader was supposed to be force Jesus, I highly doubt stopping a pistol blast falls outside his capabilities. It's more a case that such a power hadn't been thought up at the time. That's the only power Ren demonstrated that we hadn't seen from Vader. Clearly he was capable of reading minds seeing as he sensed Luke thinking about Leia during the ROTJ duel.

The light didn't go away when he killed his father.
It went away when he made the decision, but a small light comes back on after he contemplates what he did.

Ive said a few times in this thread but the beginning of the movie shows you what Kylo's descent into the dark side along with the power up is supposed to look like...

Both instances, he killed someone important to his past while a sniper shot him from a distance.
Only the death in the beginning allowed him to reach closer to the power of the dark side (with the added strength boost), while his father's death, (a death that he knew would affect him more) didn't give him the feeling (or get him any closer to the dark side) that he had hoped.

Which is why he was hit by Chewie's blaster

I read somewhere that the New Republic doesn't use Corruscant as their home because Corruscant is the symbol of the corruption of the previous republic and move on other planets to gather old allies confidence, is that true ?

Yeah, that's one reason. Mon Mothma wanted to move it around so that it ensured other planets had an equal say in shaping the government.

Sephzilla

Yeah, that's one reason. Mon Mothma wanted to move it around so that it ensured other planets had an equal say in shaping the government.

Viewing this from the perspective of someone within the Star Wars universe, this is honestly a smart idea. Considering the galaxy has a penchant for organizations building weapons capable of planetary bombardment and destruction it seems smart to keep the government mobile.

Watching Kylo Ren in the movie made it all the more apparent how creatively bankrupt Lucas and many expanded universe products (mainly the games, don't know much about the rest) when it comes to how the Force could be used.

In the prequels, they use force-speed once when they don't really need it, but other than that they just force push, pull, lightsaber-throw, throw stuff and lightning, with varying degrees of power. Like they just copy-pasted everything from the Jedi Knight games.

Speaking of, in the games, they do the same, except amped up to 11. Bringing down a star destroyer? Sure, why not, that only makes you 50 times stronger than Yoda. No biggie.

In TFA however, Kylo is able to freeze laser bolts in mid-air, mind-read/mentally torture people - though that one looks kinda dumb to me - and immobilize someone completely. Also, most of his powers he can hold 'active' while doing other stuff.

If you think about it, they're all variations on existing Force powers (respectively, telekinesis, mind persuasion and force choke), but they're different enough to feel new, powerful and to look cool in a surprising kind of way. The point is that in all those years no-one could be bothered to come up with something as mildly new as those. Up until Episode 7, growing more powerful as a Jedi/Sith simply meant being able to do more of the same + unlocking Force-lightning or Force-persuasion if you were good enough and depending on whether you were on the dark side or the light.

But to me, the Force is not this set of predefined powers you get as you progress (except in video games where it makes sense from a gameplay perspective). It's just a/the fabric of the universe that Force users are able to use to gain more control over reality. In that sense, the way the Force works should be unique to the user, and a reflection of that user's personality, desires and flaws. The Force is an insight into the user's psychology.

Take the Emperor: to me, he's the guy who's able to tell the future to a degree and summon lightning bolts from his fingers. Those are both a testament to how "in tune" he is with the Force (he essentially has a handle on fate and the elements) and a manifestation of his arrogance and pure hatred.

Likewise, Kylo's way of using the Force is that of someone who hates not being in control. He holds laser bolts in place, he forcefully extracts information from other people when they can't be convinced by any other means, and when he meets Rey, he doesn't choke her: he completely paralyzes her.

So, for that alone, I'm grateful that TFA and Kylo are the way they are. They make the Force ever-so-slightly fresher and a useful tool for storytelling once again, as opposed to an empty excuse for more special effects and pseudo-badass moments to wow kids and fanboys. The Force is interesting once again.

Good post. And unlike the ability to freeze laser bolts, force speed just seemed like a lazy way to escape the situation it was used in. How convenient that they forgot to use this ability during the Obiwan/Quigon/ Maul duel when the plot called for them to be separated.

The cool thing about the blast freeze is that you completely forget about it, until Ren boards his ship and releases it. Then you realize that he was doing other things while having the concentration to control the blast ( although, I suppose one could ask why he didn't use that power when Chewie shot at him. Maybe distracted after killing his father?).

True, but as we all know, when ANH came out Leia wasn't Vader's daughter. That was a plot-point fleshed out between ESB and ROTJ. By the same token, Han was tortured for info instead of having it extracted. Its 'on the fly' storytelling at its finest.

The force was introduced in such vague terms and definitions that the leeway was and is there to come up with any power imaginable. No doubt we'll see more and more powers introduced in this new trilogy.

As Sephzilla said, he wasn't tortured for any info. Vader tortured him because he believed their suffering would be the lure to get Luke to go to Bespin.

I really like this. This is an awesome way to look at it as opposed to the super basic RPG level grind shit so many people choose.

Just to correct you on this one, technically Han was just tortured for the sake of torture. When they put Han back in his cell one of the first things he says to Leia is "they didn't even ask any questions"

Yeah, good point. Forgot about the 'didn't ask questions' part.

Force powers are being made up as time goes along. If Anakin/Vader was supposed to be force Jesus, I highly doubt stopping a pistol blast falls outside his capabilities. It's more a case that such a power hadn't been thought up at the time. That's the only power Ren demonstrated that we hadn't seen from Vader. Clearly he was capable of reading minds seeing as he sensed Luke thinking about Leia during the ROTJ duel.

Why stop it a laser blast.
4ea883db70f20ebbd5914c7d863072e1.gif

televator

Yoda and Grievous were great in prequels, you people are crazy.

We had a Ewok Jedi in my RPG group and she used the same Lightsaber forms that Yoda used. It's a form that emphases dexterity and acrobatics. She was awesome.

What? Grievous was done better in the goddamn cartoons. In the movies he just shows up like he's always been there and we should know who he is. His fear inducing warrior aspect never really comes across on film like in the TV shows either. Hell, it felt like he was barely there at all in the movies. Just a big CGI effect that the actors have to pretend to interact with.

D

Deleted member 18827

Unconfirmed Member
Just watched through the OT again. People calling Mary Sue need to go back and watch Lukes development. He literally spent 2-3 days with Yoda and defeated the two greatest sith lords of the last millennia.

Then you realize that he was doing other things while having the concentration to control the blast ( although, I suppose one could ask why he didn't use that power when Chewie shot at him. Maybe distracted after killing his father?).

Yes.

The old man was a family friend. He told him "I knew you before you were Kylo Ren...You can't deny your family" etc...

And killing him, killing a part of who he was, pushed him one step closer to the dark side.

Throughout the movie when his father enters the fight he realizes he's going to have to kill a major part of who he is by killing his father. He's scared of this fact because he obviously still cares for his dad, and prays to Vader's mask to give him the strength to follow through.

When he finally does kill Han though, he doesn't get the calmness or the focus he got when he killed the old man in the beginning. Even though he "choose the dark side", Han placing his hand on his son, as if to say he forgave him, was enough to keep him from going further to the Darkside, which is why the light on his face was no longer dark red and why he got shot, afterward.

Arthea

Just watched through the OT again. People calling Mary Sue need to go back and watch Lukes development. He literally spent 2-3 days with Yoda and defeated the two greatest sith lords of the last millennia.

this point was brought to attention countless times, apparently that argument is not about logic at all, or justifying, or reasoning

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

Good point, and this notion of Force link feeds into my argument rather well to boot. If Kylo is able to form some kind of bond, however twisted, with another person, then it could be a testament to his humanity and the fact that there is still light in him.

Good post. And unlike the ability to freeze laser bolts, force speed just seemed like a lazy way to escape the situation it was used in. How convenient that they forgot to use this ability during the Obiwan/Quigon/ Maul duel when the plot called for them to be separated.

The cool thing about the blast freeze is that you completely forget about it, until Ren boards his ship and releases it. Then you realize that he was doing other things while having the concentration to control the blast ( although, I suppose one could ask why he didn't use that power when Chewie shot at him. Maybe distracted after killing his father?).

Thanks. I just didn't want to regurgitate Plinkett's argument wholesale :p. Although I gotta admit I personally was paying attention to the blast. All that time I was wondering when it would unfreeze, what/who it would hit at that moment.

I really like this. This is an awesome way to look at it as opposed to the super basic RPG level grind shit so many people choose.

Thanks! Yeah, most of my exposure to Star Wars outside of the movies is through the games, where the Force is a collection of unlockable powers (see the SNES games and the Jedi Knight series). That's the only kind of product where I can accept the Force as a pure gameplay element because it just makes sense, and it makes for very entertaining battles. Force choke another player over a pit and release, anyone?

TedMilk

His gauntlets were made of blaster-proof Mandalorian iron. That wasn't the force.

The blocking the shots part. The force pull was totally a force power, lol.

I'm sure he used the force to help guide his hands to where the blaster bolts would hit him though.

His gauntlets were made of blaster-proof Mandalorian iron. That wasn't the force.

Nah. That was the Force.

This "gauntlets of blaster-proof blah-blah" shit was retconned in later by merchandising for lord knows what reason. It's not like it adds to that scene at all, or the storytelling in general.

He blocks lasers with the force, and then pulls the gun to him. And then acts like it's no big deal and sits down to a dinner he can't eat because he's wearing a giant gargoyle mask on his burnt peanut head.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Just had a dream where these fucks were brought back in VIII for some reason
latest

I'd be okay with this as long as
A. They actually pose threat instead of being blaster fodder
B. None of them talk. Ever.
C. Actually, just don't bring em back.

TedMilk

Nah. That was the Force.

This "gauntlets of blaster-proof blah-blah" shit was retconned in later by merchandising for lord knows what reason. It's not like it adds to that scene at all, or the storytelling in general.

He blocks lasers with the force, and then pulls the gun to him. And then acts like it's no big deal and sits down to a dinner he can't eat because he's wearing a giant gargoyle mask on his burnt peanut head.

It's certainly cooler for him to have blocked the blasts using the force. Sometimes I wish there was just a tad more exposition from the characters in Star Wars for things like this so we know what was a force power and what wasn't.

Unrelatedly (is that even a word?), I wish people would stop commenting on lightsabers being close enough to people to burn them. As all nerds should know, lightsabers emit no heat until they come into contact with something. They don't even spend energy until then, even, as the plasma is looped back into the power cell (or something like that).

/nerd

Why would Yoda need a lighsaber when he has mastered the force, the ultimate weapon? PT kinda ruined the force (among everything else) by showing that as the final way to end a duel, he needed to have a sword fight? Waaaaat? Dooku was just as powerful as Sidious?! George pls stahp

Dooku was pretty powerful. Why wouldn't he? A lightsaber isn't just for show.

My biggest problem with Yoda-Paplatine is that Yoda gives up for no reason.

He didn't stand a chance. Sidious was stronger in the force by a significant margin. You saw the way he was throwing those senate seats effortlessly? Yoda was struggling just to hold one...and here sidious was holding like 5. Sidious was also better at dueling. Yoda was an old man and didn't have the stamina to take him. He ran before he got killed.

Sephzilla

I actually think Kylo stopping a shot in mid air with The Force is more impressive and badass than Vader blocking Han's shots with his hands.

Luke also had 2 movies worth of training from 2 legendary jedi masters and still got royally beaten the fuck up by Vader.

Luke in the entire original trilogy gets a few days of training, at most, from other Jedi. He gets like 15 minutes of training from Obi-Wan on the way to Alderaan and then a few days of training with Yoda before going off to get schooled by Vader. Luke goes from unprepared ESB Luke to badass boss mode ROTJ Luke without any training from a Jedi.

DrArchon

Just had a dream where these fucks were brought back in VIII for some reason
latest

The Super Droids were so fucking confusing to me. Why did they make them when they were just as effective as the shitty normal droids? Why were they big and bulky when they still died in one hit from fucking anything?

Hell, all the droids were awful. Why were they all so fucking stupid? They're computers, they should be fucking brilliant. Were they too afraid of making the main antagonists seem frightening, or at least competent?

Interfectum

The Super Droids were so fucking confusing to me. Why did they make them when they were just as effective as the shitty normal droids? Why were they big and bulky when they still died in one hit from fucking anything?

Hell, all the droids were awful. Why were they all so fucking stupid? They're computers, they should be fucking brilliant. Were they too afraid of making the main antagonists seem frightening, or at least competent?

Seems Lucas made the droids humorous and clumsy to appeal to kids. They got a lot of leverage out of that in the Clone Wars cartoon.

Sephzilla

Agree, and I'm glad it wasn't spoiled in the trailers.

Additionally I liked that Ren, instead of doing the normal Force Choke, used the Force to just pull someone up to him so he could just choke them the old fashioned way. Ren did a few nice variations on what I felt were Vader like things.

DrArchon

Seems Lucas made the droids humorous and clumsy to appeal to kids. They got a lot of leverage out of that in the Clone Wars cartoon.

Ugh, I guess that makes sense, but I hated how worthless the whole Trade Federation was. There was no tension to any of the fights with the droids because they all were just worthless mooks.

That's one of the things I liked about TFA. The Stormtroopers had some bite to them. Even ignoring the one dude that beats the piss out of Finn, we still see Stormtroopers gunning down people and being generally merciless dicks. They're still mooks, but they're mooks you hate not mooks you laugh at.

GhaleonEB

Luke does maybe two things worthy of the Force, and one of those in a non stressful situation in the six days covered in ANH. Rey is way way better far sooner ( two days?) than Luke without any guidance whatsoever (maybe Maz?).

By the end of the film she'd give ESB Luke a good run for his money. She can do Force pulls, mind tricks, mind reading, using the force when piloting the Falcon, and use a light sabre in combat against a trained foe, (probably more if she sees someone doing the power once). She is obviously some sort of Savant, instantly picking up force related stuff and using it intuitively.

She doesn't have Lukes character flaws which were holding him back, his lack of belief in himself, lack of persistence, etc. She is very self assured and this obviously helps with learning the powers.

Two major complaints I've heard when taking to people are Rey picking up the powers too quickly and the plot being too similar to ANH. So the film didn't convince people enough.

Most people are fine with it because the film establishes pretty clearly how she learns what she does, and why she has to in the time frame she does. TBH, the people with these complains about this haven't paid much attention to the film, or simply have a disposition to apply double standards to Rey. So I don't think the filmmakers are too worried about those folks.

televator

Luke also had 2 movies worth of training from 2 legendary jedi masters and still got royally beaten the fuck up by Vader.

Luke had like a week with Yoda and a few hours with Obi Wan at most. The OTs also follow each other up immediately so it's not like there was a lot of time off screen in between movies either. Vader was trained from a much younger age and was a Jedi master through a long war where he built a reputation as a maverick general who turned the tides during countless battles.

Nah. That was the Force.

The sparks suggest the blaster shots hit. To be honest, it makes more sense that he's able to do it because robot hands but that stuff is all over the place.

He didn't stand a chance. Sidious was stronger in the force by a significant margin. You saw the way he was throwing those senate seats effortlessly? Yoda was struggling just to hold one...and here sidious was holding like 5. Sidious was also better at dueling. Yoda was an old man and didn't have the stamina to take him. He ran before he got killed.

Sidious wasn't stronger in the force, he was just better at using the force to throw things. How good a Force user is at using the Force in certain ways isn't an accurate gauge of strength. Different users have different specialtys, different strengths and weaknesses. There's also differences in how abilities are used and what abilities can be used based on being Light or Darkside. Yoda is hands down a stronger Force user than Dooku, by a large margin, yet Dooku also Force pulls/levitates/pushes much easier than Yoda does. It's just a technique that he and Sidious excel at.

Daemul

The way they are already using their force powers in Episode 7, I fully expect them to go balls out DBZ style by Episode 9.

I'm already bracing myself for another "Pull Star Destroyer out of the sky" moment in the later movies. I hope it doesn't happen since it would be ridiculous, but man I can see it.

Sephzilla

I'm already bracing myself for another "Pull Star Destroyer out of the sky" moment in the later movies. I hope it doesn't happen since it was ridiculous in TFU, but man I can see it.

I highly doubt we're going to get anything that crazy. I think the next movie will be more about Ren and Rey sharpening and controlling their existing powers, not becoming more powerful.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I'm already bracing myself for another "Pull Star Destroyer out of the sky" moment in the later movies. I hope it doesn't happen since it would be ridiculous, but man I can see it.

I mean, we already had Rey taking down Star Destroyers with just Luke's lightsaber in early concept art, and then we got Trevorrow (JW spoilers)
have a raptor riding a T-Rex's back (admittedly awesome as stupid as it is).

So, I can't believe I'm saying this, but it's definitely something we can't rule out.

They're superheroes

At some point people will want to see them do some superhero shit.

Well yeah. When you block something it still hits you, just not in the way the assailaint wanted it to.

Maybe I just took misunderstood it due to the phrasing. "Blocked with The Force" read to me as saying it didn't hit him because he used the Force like a shield or something.

Also, I hope they don't go superhero feats. I find it more entertaining when there are limits to feats and the characters have to win through tactics and clever usage.

Top Bottom