• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Arthea

I have a friend who hasn't seen it yet and has tried his damndest to stay completely spoiler free for the past 2 years. No trailers, info, nothing but the poster.

Shit must be maddening for him.

I did the same, stayed spoiler free safely and watched a movie knowing close to nothing about it, it's possible.

sphagnum

Banned
Wasnt ben always a bad child? Thats why they sent him with luke.

I guess it depends on what Han meant by him having "too much Vader in him". Beru said that Luke had too much Anakin in him, but she was clearly talking about his adventuresome nature.

If it just means that he has a bad temper, well, that could also mean that he has too much Leia in him, but Han surely wouldn't want to say that. =p

woen

He didn't aim for his head though.

He didn't try to aim anywhere particularly in fact. (and the leaked script confirms that Chewie is "in agony" and that he acts "furiously")

IMO he was as convinced as Han and Leia that Ben would come back to reason/light side.

-griffy-

Banned
Has this been posted: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Samu...y-Interesting-Question-About-Finn-104807.html

Obviously probably not true as there's a button but haven't there been some cases where some lightsabers can only be activated by using the force?

Han Solo turned the exact same lightsaber on in ESB:
tumblr_lydh5a5KYI1qc823io1_500.jpg

Maybe Han has some midi-chlorians. He did make the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs. Jedi generally seem to be good pilots if you think about it.

Referencing midi-chlorians in a post-prequel world in regards to the canon story is pretty dopey. Even Lucas dropped that shit.

Every single individual that has touched that lightaber is dead, in a coma, or gone crazy.

Rey needs to chuck that shit into the ocean before she gets got too.

Took my 6 and 8 year old daughters this morning for their first show (my fifth viewing). I continue to be thrilled this will be their Star Wars.

What did they think?

Loved BB-8. Loved Rey. Very mad at "Ren". We had a talk previous to the movie about make believe and fiction and if they see someone hurt they aren't in real life, etc, that seemed to help.

Alamo 11am showing was mostly parents and kids elementary school age.

I was next to who I'd guess to be a 8-9 year old boy and the scene at the end with Rey pulling the saber let out a loud-ish "Yesssssssss!"

Also seeing the Alamo pre-movie bumper for the 3rd time was great with all the old commercials and "C3PO This is Your Life" bits.

So a thought I had: Has JJ Abrams or anyone else say why Lando wasn't in the film? He's one of the few major players from the OT that didn't make an appearance here. Even his co-pilot from ROTJ showed up as one of the guys in the TIE fighters attacking the Starkiller base.

I've read that Billy Dee Williams actually still voices him on the Star Wars Rebels cartoon so it doesn't seem like he's sick of the role. I wonder if they're saving him for the sequels where they reveal he's Finn's father or something lol

sphagnum

Banned
So a thought I had: Has JJ Abrams or anyone else say why Lando wasn't in the film? He's one of the few major players from the OT that didn't make an appearance here. Even his co-pilot from ROTJ showed up as one of the guys in the TIE fighters attacking the Starkiller base.

I've read that Billy Dee Williams actually still voices him on the Star Wars Rebels cartoon so it doesn't seem like he's sick of the role. I wonder if they're saving him for the sequels where they reveal he's Finn's father or something lol

Nope. I would suspect it's just because BDW's just not in the best physical condition, but he seems to want to come back, so I'd expect him for 8.

Still pulling for him to be the new chancellor.

No one's really commented on his absence. He's definitely going to turn up in one of them. He didn't say no!

Billy said that since Lando wasn't in the first film of the OT, they're probably saving him for later in the ST. I think Abrams or Kasdan said that "there is certainly a future" for Lando in the franchise or something like that, but they may have been referring to Rebels, I dunno.

Scirrocco

Has this been posted: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Samu...y-Interesting-Question-About-Finn-104807.html

Obviously probably not true as there's a button but haven't there been some cases where some lightsabers can only be activated by using the force?

While not true, I thought it was kind of hinting he might be force sensitive in the scene where the starkiller based fired didn't it zoom in on him when the planet was destroyed, and you couldhear muted shouting... Like Fin was hearing a million vvoices crying out then suddenly silenced?

While not true, I thought it was kind of hinting he might be force sensitive in the scene where the starkiller based fired didn't it zoom in on him when the planet was destroyed, and you couldhear muted shouting... Like Fin was hearing a million vvoices crying out then suddenly silenced?

Still maintain the same same force sound played when the bloody hand touched Finn's helmet. IMO they did leave it open.

The whole timing from Starkiller to the assault on Maz's place was really weird.

You have Kylo watching it being fired from the system as Starkiller. Then the impact on the planets. That's when Finn looks up to see it (screams could be just poor editing between transitions). Then Rey looks up and sees the assault on Maz's castle. So Kylo was able to watch the base fire, jump to hyperspace and get to Maz's planet, launch landing craft and fighters and have them be there once it hits.

I love reading stories of little girls at the theater watching Rey.

It's pretty great, and I will say, my 3rd grade daughter's small circle of friends, word has gotten around between them all to see the movie. The reason it's been my 5th viewing and both of my daughter's first was more I was a little apprehensive about some content (I figured to wait until home video and we could all watch at home, talk in real time about it, etc). But, all of my oldest's friends have now seen it and she felt left out.

And my 6 year old was not about to let her older sister get away with something without her, so, made it a family trip. Now I'm going to have to pick up a ton of BB-8 and Rey (I know this is its own battle) merch.

Saw it for the second time today and it definitely reaffirmed my strong feeling that this is a fantastic movie. It is so well shot and I really appreciated the performances more on second viewing. I also feel like you pick up so much more stuff on a second viewing which I'm sure has been discussed to no end here.

I definitely feel like it's worth seeing twice in the theater for anyone on the fence: you will probably get a lot out of it.

SeanC

I was next to who I'd guess to be a 8-9 year old boy and the scene at the end with Rey pulling the saber let out a loud-ish "Yesssssssss!"

That is legit the biggest crowd pleasing moment in the movie, which says a lot about the buildup to it and the investment the movie is able to make in Rey as a character. In the 3 times I've seen the movie a) the audience cheers and claps at that moment and b) I myself get goosebumpy even though I totally know it was coming. I think it's the mix of the character becoming awesome with the nostalgia of claiming a lightsaber and about to throw down with it.

Savitar

Wasnt ben always a bad child? Thats why they sent him with luke.

I don't think he was a bad kid. I mean even Vader as a kid wasn't bad. But the pull of the dark side probably tugged at him, I mean you grow up knowing one of your family was this all powerful person who people feared and respect and even if he was pure evil chances are especially as a teen you kind of wish you were treated in the same way. It's probably what happened to Ben. He wasn't like Luke or Vader but wanted to be. And that's all it takes.

Oidisco

The more I think about it I think Rey grabbing the lightsaber is my favourite moment in the film series. I loved Rey's character and that moment coupled with the music, Daisy's acting and they way it was shot, plus the reactions in the cinema really made it feel powerful. Like there wasn't much cheering or clapping where I saw it, but at that moment people went nuts! And I know there are other far more iconic moments in the series, but I never really cared too much about the characters in the OT so they didn't have too big an impact on me.

Though really the conversation between Kreia and the Jedi at the end of Kotor 2 is my actual favourite Star Wars scene. I love every single second of it!

Saw it for the second time today and it definitely reaffirmed my strong feeling that this is a fantastic movie. It so well shot and I really appreciated the performances more on second viewing. I also feel like you pick up so much more stuff on a second viewing which I'm sure has been discussed to no end here.

I definitely feel like it's worth seeing twice in the theater for anyone on the fence: you will probably get a lot out of it.

I think the first viewing for a lot of people was about measuring the first Star Wars movie in 10 years against their hype for it. It was about getting caught up in the emotion and the spectacle of it all.

On the second and subsequent viewings though, you know what you're getting into and can better just appreciate the details and finer points. It really is a beautifully crafted movie, you can tell a lot of care went into making it.

I do have to say that I think going into it spoiled was the right move (for me, obviously not for everyone). Knowing that Finn with the lightsaber was a smokescreen, Rey saves the day, Luke was in the movie for like 15 seconds, Han dies might have taken a bit of the surprise out of it, but it allowed me to concentrate on how well each of those sequences and scenes were done instead.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
What would the force even have to do with igniting light sabers? The reason only Jedi use them is because nobody else would have the reflexes / control over the force to block every blaster shot.

Anybody could use one but it would end up like this if you aren't a Jedi
dax7Vvp.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
was about to post that chewie comic myself :)

The more I think about it I think Rey grabbing the lightsaber is my favourite moment in the film series. I loved Rey's character and that moment coupled with the music, Daisy's acting and they way it was shot, plus the reactions in the cinema really made it feel powerful. Like there wasn't much cheering or clapping where I saw it, but at that moment people went nuts! And I know there are other far more iconic moments in the series, but I never really cared too much about the characters in the OT so they didn't have too big an impact on me.

Though really the conversation between Kreia and the Jedi at the end of Kotor 2 is my actual favourite Star Wars scene. I love every single second of it!
Good. Gooooood.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I hope they go back to Coruscant in the next films. I feel like there were some missed opportunities utilizing that kind of environment in the previous films (e.g. all-out urban warfare, Star Wars style).

Still, I primarily want them to cook up some newer looking places/planet that we haven't or rarely seen in the franchise. One locale I liked from the TFA art book was this seaside port-city that looked like a mix of Rio De Janeiro and East Asian influences.

GhaleonEB

I feel the same. It really is just an electrifying scene, both perfectly handled in the moment, and as the big emotional breakthrough for Rey's journey. I don't cry a lot at movies but I was a mess at that scene during my second watch.

*sobbingitssobeutiful.gif*

I think the first viewing for a lot of people was about measuring the first Star Wars movie in 10 years against their hype for it. It was about getting caught up in the emotion and the spectacle of it all.

On the second and subsequent viewings though, you know what you're getting into and can better just appreciate the details and finer points. It really is a beautifully crafted movie, you can tell a lot of care went into making it.
Definitely. There's been a lot of folks echoing this since it came out, and it was my experience as well. I noticed new details with each viewing, and really came to appreciate the character work even more.

Random note from last night's screening: I like how when Kylo is knocked on his back at the end of the fight, the lightsaber htis the snow causing it to boil and steam all around it. Details, man.

Good. Gooooood.

You have my new favorite avatar.

-griffy-

Banned

I don't know if it's my favorite moment in the series, but I know I felt things when it happened during the first viewing, and when I anticipated it in the second viewing I tensed up and made an audible noise when it happened. Like, a noise just sneaked out of me. I don't even know what it was. It was involuntary.

Top Bottom