• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Ristlager

A bit of a stupid question, but under a light saber fight, why doesn't anyone turn their light saber off, so the opponents saber just flies trough the air (making sure it doesn't hit you) and then reignite it a right after and have a huge opening to strike the opponent? It turns on and off really fast, so it should be a viable technique?

RE_Player

I've seen the movie twice with different groups of friends. I agree with the criticism of it sticking too close to the formula of A New Hope and the overall state of the galaxy not appearing to have changed.

The movie was good and I expect, or at least hope, that the next movies have more of an original take on this franchise.

You have my new favorite avatar.
giphy.gif

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Current Kylo Ren collection, just got the hand maid Kylo Ren!

0hTtrxh.jpg

VxWXvFs.jpg

A bit of a stupid question, but under a light saber fight, why doesn't anyone turn their light saber off, so the opponents saber just flies trough the air (making sure it doesn't hit you) and then reignite it a right after and have a huge opening to strike the opponent? It turns on and off really fast, so it should be a viable technique?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tràkata

Created by a Jedi Consular in the days of the Old Republic to compensate weaknesses with lightsaber, Tràkata was a form of lightsaber combat developed for taking advantage of a lightsaber blade's ability to be turned on and off, a unique quality in a melee weapon. Quickly shutting off then re-igniting the blade could cause confusion in one's opponents, allowing for diversionary feints in combat. Mixed with Jar'Kai, Tràkata was extremely effective, even against multiple opponents. Sith Lords would occasionally use this form to free their blade hand, allowing greater control of some force powers, such as Force lightning.

DescriptionEdit

Philosophically, Tràkata involved practical combat and deception, rather than single minded determination or endless patience. It was rarely used by the Sith, since the power of the Sith came from passion rather than practicality, and neither was it commonly used by the Jedi, because of their unwillingness to rely on deception. The latter may, however, have utilized this technique on occasion, their purpose usually being to exert greater influence over the Force.
Known moves and maneuversEdit

Pass the Blade

The duelist deactivated his blade as he attacks, bypassing the opponent's block before igniting it into the helpless foe.[1]

Unbalancing Block

The duelist caught the opponent's blade with his own before momentarily deactivating it, causing the opponent to stumble and leave himself open.[1]

Coincidentally, Pablo recently said that those "silly lightsaber forms" are still canon. Not sure if he's referring to this or not, and all the citation in the article seems to be from non-canon stuff.

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm hoping for a 2 year or more time skip.
Let both Rey and Ren get in some serious training. Ren was very badly injured at the end of TFA, it's going to take a while to recover from that and get some quality training time in.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I feel like a drastically longer timeskip would be more appropriate for between 8 and 9.

This is especially since there are some mysteries left hanging after 7 that would be weird to address after 2 years in the universe.

injurai

Banned
I feel like a drastically longer timeskip would be more appropriate for between 8 and 9.

This is especially since there are some mysteries left hanging after 7 that would be weird to address after 2 years in the universe.

7 was going backwards to go forwards. It makes sense to do the time skip between 7 and 8, then make 8 and 9 more contiguous with what they are trying to build up and explore. It's where most of the new elements will be.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
7 was going backwards to go forwards. It makes sense to do the time skip between 7 and 8, then make 8 and 9 more contiguous with what they are trying to build up and explore. It's where most of the new elements will be.
Well, as long as we don't convenient skip some key character personality development in between.

I dunno, I was hoping more like this!

This is exactly what I was thinking once I remembered that Kylo also needed to finish training.

Wow... Did Pablo officially bash the prequels right there?

Considering the fact that none of the movies ever actually referred to lightsaber forms by name, not really.

Obi-Wan never used Soresu in the movie universe, he was just defensive.

Anakin never used Ataru or Djem So, he just liked twirling his lightsaber around like a ballerina because he thought it looked badass.

Windu never used Vaapad, and so on and so on

The forms are much more of a book thing than they ever were a movie thing.

TCRS

Banned
well ain't that just fucking great. another first movie to a trilogy that hardly explains fucking anything. what the fuck is wrong with these fucking star wars makers that they keep making the same fucking mistake smh

at least storywise they went with the jacen solo saga, which was one of my favs of the EU. not sure how I feel about Han Solos death. was it cheap, was it fitting? can't decide. not sure whtat the fuss about boyega was, I thought he was great. if anything it was Adam Driver who was the miscast. just didn't look right. I liked the girl and I liked the ending.

the bigger than death star weapon was fucking cheap and what the fuck about zero background information on the first order and the alien dude.

I'll withold final judgement until I have seen it again but so far it I'm rather pissed.

injurai

Banned
Considering the fact that none of the movies ever actually referred to lightsaber forms by name, not really.

Anakin never used Ataru or Djem So, he just liked twirling his lightsaber around like a ballerina because he thought it looked badass.

It's fluff lore to sell companion media, like the visual dictionaries.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
well ain't that just fucking great. another first movie to a trilogy that hardly explains fucking anything. what the fuck is wrong with these fucking star wars makers that they keep making the same fucking mistake smh

The original point of Star Wars was walking into the middle of a large story you hadn't seen the beginning of and wouldn't necessarily see the ending of.

Having said that, they did skip a lot of necessary context for the state of the galaxy. I also think it was wrong to have a confrontation between Han and Kylo (resulting in Han's death!) that we don't even understand the context of.

Falk

that puzzling face
The original point of Star Wars was walking into the middle of a large story you hadn't seen the beginning of and wouldn't necessarily see the ending of.

Having said that, they did skip a lot of necessary context for the state of the galaxy. I also think it was wrong to have a confrontation between Han and Kylo (resulting in Han's death!) that we don't even understand the context of.

Maybe we'll get a Star Wars VI.5

And Star Wars VI.8

DodgerSan

Not in the movies, but Form III at least is mentioned in Rebels.

kinn

I guess Kylo won't have his mask or his lightsaber now.

He lost the two most iconic pieces of his costume in the last thirty minutes of the movie.

surely he has spare helmets. As for the lightsaber...did he lose it? I cant remember if it fell in the chasm.

I hope we see him gradually get more and more physically damaged\disfigured, that by the end he will require the mask and other machinery to stay alive.

Platy

4 was the first time we saw Mind Trick and force suicide
5 was the first time we saw force jump and force push/pull
6 was the first time we saw force lightning
1 was the first time we saw force speed
2 and 3 were bad and I don't remember
7 was the first time we saw force laser stop and force flashback

So ... what new force power do you guys want in 8 ?

surely he has spare helmets. As for the lightsaber...did he lose it? I cant remember if it fell in the chasm.

I hope we see him gradually get more and more physically damaged\disfigured, that by the end he will require the mask and other machinery to stay alive.

Rey definitely cut at least a piece of the hilt off.

Whether it's still operable is unknown.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Took my mom to watch it today. She started crying when they got to Maz Kanata's planet, and had tears in her eyes for the remainder of the session.

She told me it "brought so many memories back" and that it "was right about everything".

She doesn't really identify herself as a Star Wars fan, but vaguely remembers being let down by the prequel films.

My girlfriend who just recently watched the original trilogy for the first time also loved it.

This film just keeps on delivering.

TheXbox

Question for folks who have read the novelization or delved into the new EU: is there any indication what the state of the Republic is after the Starkiller shenanigans? Is it more of a 9/11 situation or did they effectively wipe out the Republic? Really hoping this movie hasn't totally erased what our heroes spent three movies trying to accomplish.

sphagnum

Banned
Question for folks who have read the novelization or delved into the new EU: is there any indication what the state of the Republic is after the Starkiller shenanigans? Is it more of a 9/11 situation or did they effectively wipe out the Republic? Really hoping this movie hasn't totally erased what our heroes spent three movies trying to accomplish.

There's nothing released yet that takes place after TFA, so we don't know.

RedStep

So Kylo was able to watch the base fire, jump to hyperspace and get to Maz's planet, launch landing craft and fighters and have them be there once it hits.

Kylo was on the Star Destroyer, presumably above Takodana, when Starkiller fires. It shows the destroyer and then him standing on the bridge watching the beam go past. He then heads down in his shuttle.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Design wise, Maul is fantastic. Vader is shit.

Kylo Ren > Maul > Dooku > Darth Palpatine > Grievous > Vader

Big One

Banned
You know, there is a LOT wrong with the prequels, but I still say Darth Maul is the coolest looking Sith the series has produced. Dude looks straight up satanic.
Honestly I found most of the character/scenery designs in the prequels to be top notch, imaginative stuff.

There's just no real good writing behind it. George is good at creating worlds more-so than he's at creating films I feel.

xam3l

You know, there is a LOT wrong with the prequels, but I still say Darth Maul is the coolest looking Sith the series has produced. Dude looks straight up satanic.

I agree. But unfortunately it ends in just looking badass and nothing more. There's no depth to the character. We know nothing about him in the movie (The Clone Wars series, thats another story).

Sharpeye

I was always a fan of force screech/scream, but I think that would be a bit too silly for the films. I do hope they expand force powers in the future films and not have the basic force push and pull. New powers and techniques for the new era, Kylo used a few new tricks but he didn't really show his use of the force in combat which I hope the next episode fixes.

Top Bottom