• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Lol. Even if she was? So what? Dynamic voice acting, great animation. She was a fun character.

She was a great brief mentor character.

Cringe-worthy animations, terrible CGI and a shit voice. She never made me laugh. She only took me out of the movie.

Haven't watched this yet, but some might be interested:

The Force Awakens and Star Wars Formula - Analyzed Movie Review

Loved it, brought up my biggest complaint with people saying they prefer the Prequels, which is the actual film making. You know, the things you see on screen? People seem really big on breaking down movies to nothing but their plot points, not discussing the camera work, look of the film, the emotional performances, etc.

Lol. Even if she was? So what? Dynamic voice acting, great animation. She was a fun character.

She came into the picture only to serve a specific plot point (give the heroes Luke's lightsaber), didn't even explain how this plot point is even possible ("it's a story for another time"), and immediately disappeared from the movie once this was done. She was the fakest character in the movie and I'm not even talking about CGI. All the other characters felt like actual people.

At least her castle had amazing alien extras and there were a few good jokes in it (as in the rest of the movie).

She came into the picture only to serve a specific plot point (give the heroes Luke's lightsaber), didn't even explain how this plot point is even possible ("it's a story for another time"), and immediately disappeared from the movie once this was done. She was the fakest character in the movie and I'm not even talking about CGI. All the other characters felt like actual people.

At least her castle had amazing alien extras and there were a few good jokes in it (as in the rest of the movie).

She also gave Rey the insight into the force that she needed in the fight against Ren. She also gave Finn an out which further explired his issues if fear and helped Han get back on track in terms of being a hero.

He threw it towards the stairs seen earlier in the fight, not down the chasm. He has it when he is back to Endor in the ending scene:

Hi26J.png

Of course he does. He wouldn't just leave it there. That is his lightsaber. That is his LIFE.

Snake

Maz Kanata wasn't terrible, just a sort of missed opportunity as far as I'm concerned. Her voice work was fine (not nearly as bad as the trailers suggested it might be). The problem is that she was just weak enough [visually] to hurt my immersion as I was watching. Considering that Maz Kanata was my #1 fear about the film going in, that she was going to be 10 times cheesier and have a much more cartoony presence, I'm satisfied enough.

And she was nowhere near as bad as Snoke. Snoke is, to me, the one thing about the film from a design/execution standpoint that I feel is genuinely poorly done and detracts from the viewing experience. All my other nitpicks faded away on the second viewing, but Snoke stuck out even more.

Oidisco

Maz was definitely was clearly a plot device, but she did atleast have a couple of quirks to her personality that made her feel not completely two-dimensional. Maz calling Chewie her boyfriend was pretty funny, though I would've liked to see them interact and I'm curious to see just how much of a connection she has to the Force.

I know it was originally planned for her to use some Force powers in the battle, but that pbviously ended up being cut. I wonder if she returns in the next film will we get see it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Besides, nitpick incoming but the way she shows Finn that he's actually got a weapon (two movements, one that puts the lightsaber above her head, and one that pushes the lightsaber closer towards Finn) is terribly 'acted'. Anyone who has good attention to detail would notice that.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Maz Kanata wasn't terrible, just a sort of missed opportunity as far as I'm concerned. Her voice work was fine (not nearly as bad as the trailers suggested it might be). The problem is that she was just weak enough [visually] to hurt my immersion as I was watching. Considering that Maz Kanata was my #1 fear about the film going in, that she was going to be 10 times cheesier and have a much more cartoony presence, I'm satisfied enough.

And she was nowhere near as bad as Snoke. Snoke is, to me, the one thing about the film from a design/execution standpoint that I feel is genuinely poorly done and detracts from the viewing experience. All my other nitpicks faded away on the second viewing, but Snoke stuck out even more.
I don't hate Snoke as much as others do, but he's definitely the giant red flag that says the property has been handed off to someone new. He's the least "Star Wars-y" thing about the entire movie. Maz is the runner-up in that regard. Even his name seems out of place in the Star Wars universe. Most villains had a terrifying sophistication to them - Palpatine was an evil emperor, Vader was a machine-man, and even people like Revan and Malak from the EU felt more grounded in their portrayal. They had a human element to them. Snoke is like some big bad evil Satan type character, more monster-like than anything we've seen before.

-griffy-

Banned
Besides, nitpick incoming but the way she shows Finn that he's actually got a weapon (two movements, one that puts the lightsaber above her head, and one that pushes the lightsaber closer towards Finn) is terribly 'acted'. Anyone who has good attention to detail would notice that.

The second movement is because if he turned it on at that moment it would be a bad time. I thought that was funny.

Everything is a plot device

Thats how plots work.

When I see retorts like this I struggle to figure out if the person is intentionally missing the point of the criticism or if they've genuinely never heard that sort of criticism before.

Edit-Just for the record I'm not even agreeing or disagreeing with his statement.

Yoshichan

The second movement is because if he turned it on at that moment it would be a bad time. I thought that was funny.

Interesting. Didn't think of it that way.

Arthea

I don't hate Snoke as much as others do, but he's definitely the giant red flag that says the property has been handed off to someone new. He's the least "Star Wars-y" thing about the entire movie. Maz is the runner-up in that regard.

how are Snoke and Maz not "star wars-y"?
if Grievous is, everything is star wars-y

Toxi

Banned
Maz Kanata does plenty besides giving away the lightsaber. For example, she points out Finn's fear and brings him to his pivotal moment of choosing to leave or stay.
I don't hate Snoke as much as others do, but he's definitely the giant red flag that says the property has been handed off to someone new. He's the least "Star Wars-y" thing about the entire movie. Maz is the runner-up in that regard. Even his name seems out of place in the Star Wars universe. Most villains had a terrifying sophistication to them - Palpatine was an evil emperor, Vader was a machine-man, and even people like Revan and Malak from the EU felt more grounded in their portrayal. They had a human element to them. Snoke is like some big bad evil Satan type character, more monster-like than anything we've seen before.
If anything, Snoke felt too Star Wars... Too Star Wars prequels.
didn't even explain how this plot point is even possible ("it's a story for another time"),
I have no idea why people are so fixated on this. The exact details of how Maz came upon Luke's lightsaber are completely irrelevant to the plot and the explanation is just going to be "Some guy found it."

I have no idea why people are so fixated on this. The exact details of how Maz came upon Luke's lightsaber are completely irrelevant to the plot and the explanation is just going to be "Some guy found it."

Yeah pretty much. Might as well go into a museum and start asking WAIT HOW'D THEY GET THAT for every major thing on display.

Well uh...a dude found it?

See this kind of fan comics? You can do that with many characters in TFA because they have character and personality that go beyond "plot devices". You can't do that with Maz because, if you remove her monomyth-esque purpose of giving the heroes the Magic Item and feeding them information, there is nothing left.

See this kind of fan comics? You can do that with many characters in TFA because they have character and personality that go beyond "plot devices". You can't do that with Maz because, if you remove her monomyth-esque purpose of giving the heroes the Magic Item and feeding them information, there is nothing left.

TR-8R then must have the most character in the whole movie if that's what we're going by.

And I thought she had plenty of personality.

You just compared the main villain to a side, not even supporting character...

Well done...

He has more character than Maz, yup.

Now you're just being ridiculous

Toxi

Banned
You don't think awkwardly clambering on the table during a conversation to psychoanalyze Finn showed personality?

Oidisco

I understand it's not important, but that line "A good question, for another time" really did annoy me. It just felt kinda clumsy. Obviously I don't know the story of how she got the lightsaber so I don't know if this would work, but changing the line to something like "an old friend gave it to me" would've worked better for me. Keeps the mystery of where she found it intact without feeling like the film is trying to avoid the topic.

Again, super nitpicky and unimportant but it still bothered me!

Astral Dog

The Supreme Leader is one of the characters that most reminded me that this is, indeed, a Star Wars film, he is cool.
Also, its a new type of look for a villain.nothing outrageous. he is an Alien after all.

Not every character needs to be super deep. She's a bit quirky and fun while she's on-screen and that's enough. The film has enough characters to develop as is.

He has more character than Maz, yup.

Care to explain how? If I was asked to genuinely describe his character in a way that would make him stand out from any of the other troopers without describing some physical feat it would be that he's perhaps slightly more brash?

You're getting a little silly now.

I understand it's not important, but that line "A good question, for another time" really did annoy me. It just felt kinda clumsy. Obviously I don't know the story of how she got the lightsaber so I don't know if this would work, but changing the line to something like "an old friend gave it to me" would've worked better for me. Keeps the mystery of where she found it intact without feeling like the film is trying to avoid the topic.

To be fair the house was crashing down on them.

If how she got it was really important beyond it being a guy found it and then someone else got it and then another person and then me then that dismissive answer would be an issue.

Also an old friend would imply a mystery that they might never resolve.

kinn

The thing about Kylo Ren is that he pretty much reveals a particular divide among SW fans on what they expect from a villain and it clearly shows in this thread.

One half wants a villain with more emotional depth and development (especially after the botched attempt at Anakin), while the other half wants a kick ass, chew bubblegum, take names villain who should just be badass plain and simple.

As some fellow Gaffers have already said, I really think we will see both. That he will gradually become a badass and more confident etc, both emotionally (stone cold,dead on the inside) and physically (ie Anakin and Dooku fights in 2-3).

GhaleonEB

Care to explain how? If I was asked to genuinely describe his character in a way that would make him stand out from any of the other troopers without describing some physical feat it would be that he's perhaps slightly more brash?

You're getting a little silly now.

Maz's character became great the moment she walks up to Solo and demands to knew where her "boyfriend" is. Her boyfriend being Chewie. Such a great intro.

Toxi

Banned

I can see that. "An old friend gave it to me" would be nice because it sets up some mystery for the audience. Still, I'm satisfied with her non-answer as is.

Squire

Banned
I'm a few chapters in to the novelization and really enjoying it. Someone mentioned in one of the previous spoiler threads it can be overly-descriptive. I've notice that, but I think it has more to do with the nature of the film as it seems to get that way for moments the movie used to tell the story visually.

That said, the actual exchanges between the characters really get to breathe here. The passage where Rey almost trades in BB-8 for portions is expanded upon nicely and makes the seen even better.

Goddamn, Rey is great.

kinn

Yea the relation between the two is definitely there and I hope the next film gives us a very clear picture regarding Kylo's past. Luke has some explaining to do. I mean how the heck did he even find Vader's helmet? Interesting enough, I bought a TFA collectors magazine and it states Kylo joined a mysterious organization called Knights of Ren whatever that means..

For some reason, I thought Kylo started the organization and the knights were the ones who joined and accepted Kylo as their leader\master.

I can see that. "An old friend gave it to me" would be nice because it sets up some mystery for the audience. Still, I'm satisfied with her non-answer as is.

Ask though, do you think they are going to really tackle that story? Or maybe ven more importantly if they do, do you think it'll be anything more than a montage of hands (which was in the script at one point I believe).

I'm with you the answer she gave is sufficient, adding a mystery is making that story more important then it ever will actually be in this new series.

Christine

I relate the light saber thing to 3PO's red arm, little jokes about the EU tradition of backfilling story for every extra and prop that appears on screen.

I thought Maz calling Chewbacca her boyfriend was a good character moment. It helped establish that they had known eachother for a while, and it's totally believable in the sense that she's, like, possibly thousands of years old.

spekkeh

Banned
I do agree the monomyth structure was way too apparent around Maz, including Rey rejecting the call to action and then being forced back. Though I don't think it's solely on Maz, just yeah kind of lazy writing. I was annoyed that she was too much like Yoda in a film that already had an overabundance of nods. In and of herself though, the character was well designed I thought.

Top Bottom