• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Here's Hosnian system going boom:
sHtQrVc.gif

Added some more new ones to the album here.
T1OKGZJ.gif
If you could time travel into the 1970s... "This is what Star Wars will look like one day"

GhaleonEB

If you could time travel into the 1970s... "This is what Star Wars will look like one day"

In my mind, Star Wars always looked this amazing. It didn't of course, but my imagination took it to this kind of a place. I still can't get over the fact that it doesn't have to any longer.

Pulled this out of that VFX reel:
mDm17Lh.gif

I'm planning to see TFA one more time, near the end of its run. .gifs like this are making awfully hard not to go this weekend.

Snake

That VFX reel has really tempted me to go to an IMAX showing this weekend. I just wish 2D IMAX was available, since 3D glasses are usually a pain to fit over my regular glasses.

I always forget to ask, is that sups loses to be a scavenger going to pick up shit from the tie that's not even done crashing yet? If so I love that shot.

It looked like she was hiding, because right after the gif ends she kinda jumps behind the dune and ducks to hide.

Mariolee

Yup, it's a scavenger from the village. It's like Christmas to her. :lol

This is how I interpreted it as well. I loved that bit. The movie would have been more or less the same without it, but adding a scavenger actively following this dog fight to its end so he/she/it could scavenge it is subtle well done worldbuilding.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
This is how I interpreted it as well. I loved that bit. The movie would have been more or less the same without it, but adding a scavenger actively following this dog fight to its end so he/she/it could scavenge it is subtle well done worldbuilding.

It also seemed to be a small quick throwback to the original concept of the opening sequence in the art book where a derelict Star Destroyer crashes into Jakku and a swarm of scavengers immediately race to it Mad Max style. This is where we originally meet Rey.

SomTervo

Some interesting analysis/reading from other forums I thought was worth reposting here:

Still being floored by this post. Specifically this part:

"The first Death Star is the symbol of the technological bureaucratic monstrosity of the Empire. It’s a gray, featureless world brought down by the colorful alliance. The second Death Star is a spider’s web, representative of the labyrinthine plotting of the Emperor as he attempts to pull all his enemies into his trap.

Starkiller Base is nothing short of the Dark Side of the Force itself. It’s a decaying corpse of a world, with the remaining trees a fake organic shell around the cold mechanical might within. And more, it literally sucks the light out of the galaxy as it’s powered. Starkiller Base is the logical extension of what the villains have wished to do to the galaxy all along."

Waldini

Still being floored by this post. Specifically this part:

"The first Death Star is the symbol of the technological bureaucratic monstrosity of the Empire. It’s a gray, featureless world brought down by the colorful alliance. The second Death Star is a spider’s web, representative of the labyrinthine plotting of the Emperor as he attempts to pull all his enemies into his trap.

Starkiller Base is nothing short of the Dark Side of the Force itself. It’s a decaying corpse of a world, with the remaining trees a fake organic shell around the cold mechanical might within. And more, it literally sucks the light out of the galaxy as it’s powered. Starkiller Base is the logical extension of what the villains have wished to do to the galaxy all along."

Like I (and many others before) have said ... The First Order just want to be like the Empire. Sure, it's lazy to just have another Death-Star type weapon ... but it works and doesn't bother me

SomTervo

Like I (and many others before) have said ... The First Order just want to be like the Empire. Sure, it's lazy to just have another Death-Star type weapon ... but it works and doesn't bother me

Yeah, plot-wise it's a bit juvenile, but there's pretty solid meaning behind it and it serves as a wrap-up for the ultimatum weapons in the Original Trilogy.

Where are the bad guys going to go from here? We have two more films to come.

This is worldbuilding done right. Not like the "funny" CG animals added in background shots in the Special Editions.

SomTervo

This is worldbuilding done right. Not like the "funny" CG animals added in background shots in the Special Editions.

I think one of the film's greatest triumphs is how human they made all the little details.

Episodes 1-6 were cartoony in their presentation of bystanders, alien or human. The cantina aliens. Original Jabba. Every alien in Phantom Menace.

But in TFA, they made the choice to treat the aliens just like people. Marginalised. Suffering. Struggling along.

I remember when the stormtroopers raid the settlement at the beginning on Jakku, that alien with a bovine-like head screaming while he's being restrained - the look of sheer horror in his eyes while it's happening. He's not a cartoon. He's like a real being who is being assaulted.

Goes all the way to people in the backdrops like those scavengers we're talking about. There's real history there, a real story behind these people taking cover while the TIE fighter crashes.

Great writing.

They just needed blood to differentiate who Finn was. I liked it, in universe explanation be damned.

Why that particular trooper was bleeding could be for any number of reasons. Maybe the wound wasn't fully cauterized because of his trooper armor?

I understand the mechanical reasons and thematic reasons why. And in a fantasy movie aimed at kids, don't really care about plausibility. It's more that in a film so referential and committed to proving it knows what it is, I thought it was a subtle reference that was also used to establish and build a character.

EDIT: Thought it could be anyway.

Hopefully this for Rey as well, now just give her a female "friend" on the level of the Poe/Finn relationship please.
Yes please.

You know another way Star Wars has treated its female characters badly? We haven't seen a female-female friendship in the movies.

Oh, Star Wars...

I'm planning to see TFA one more time, near the end of its run. .gifs like this are making awfully hard not to go this weekend.

I just need it to come out on Blu-Ray already. My dad's the one who introduced me to Star Wars back when I was a kid, and he's going through some stuff right now that's made it impossible for me to even get him excited to go see this one.

I just want to be able to grab some chips, pop in the disc and enjoy the movie from home, so he can watch it with me.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Has the film leaked? Where are these gifs a coming from?

Fliesen

Yes please.

You know another way Star Wars has treated its female characters badly? We haven't seen a female-female friendship in the movies.

Oh, Star Wars...

Well, Padmé seemed really fond of the way that one hand maiden took that bomb explosion.

There actually were plenty of chances. Leia could have had an interaction with Mon Mothma (instead of just sitting next to Han when they discussed the attack on Endor) - Padme could have befriended Beru.

It took 7 movies to pass the Bechdel test, and just barely (Maz Kanata's conversation with Rey in the basement. And even then, they did talk an awful lot about a man - Luke)

That's what I'm wondering. Weird that all these gifs are popping out otherwise.

the VFX reel.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1170231

edit: oh, i just had some inspiration!
has this been made before?
gR1n9g3.gif

Falk

that puzzling face

What's tickled me even through the old Legends timeline is that in a galaxy where building planet-destroying weapons is not only possible but ridiculously common, out of all the spacefaring species and possible permutations of genuinely warlike dispositions out there, the majority of them are built by humans.

we truly are the worst species

edit: oh, i just had some inspiration!
has this been made before?
gR1n9g3.gif

Wouldn't use, people seem to be absurdly touchy about anything Star Wars in public because spoilers and conditioning despite the fact we're way more than a month out.

Heck, post TR-8R and get chewed up.

Yes please.

Oh, Star Wars...

I think the closest we got to seeing a female-female friendship is in AOTC when Padmé's sister teases Padmé about her "boyfriend" Anakin... in a deleted scene.

Fliesen

What's tickled me even through the old Legends timeline is that in a galaxy where building planet-destroying weapons is not only possible but ridiculously common, out of all the spacefaring species and possible permutations of genuinely warlike dispositions out there, the majority of them are built by humans.

we truly are the worst species

to be fair, the death star was designed by the Geonosians.

... you guys, having watched the movie 6 times and just watched the VFX clip again - Poe is one to really spew a lot of symbolic quotes.
"While there is light, we still have a chance" (talking about the sun, but also foreshadowing the moment when Kylo decides to kill his father)
"Our job's done here, let's go home" (after blowing up Starkiller base) feels very intentional in a meta narrative kind of way as well. The "job" was to re-create what made StarWars StarWars, ... now let's go 'home'. (similar to "Chewie, we're home", of course)
We set up our hero, we've shown our villain, we found some friends, we destroyed a Super weapon. Our job's done here.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
#almostprogress

The deleted scenes (plus i believe novelisation) show how despite her career she is more interested in having children/being a mother and is jealous of her sister, her maternal instincts make her relationship with Anakin more understandable (allegedly)

Fliesen

Rogue One
rumors actually say that the Geonosians never managed to make it work and that it's a human scientist who finally made it functional.

yeah, it was still designed by the Geonosians. Their intent was to design a battle station that would be able to destroy entire planets.
We were talking about morality, not engineering prowess ;)

I put that progress picture I posted on here a few days ago on reddit. It's currently on page 3 of /all.

wrong thread?

i checked Reddit and didn't find a Star Wars pic on page 3, but one of you getting pretty buff. good job! :)

Falk

that puzzling face
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, laser beams moved at about 80 mph.

Maybe it's a slow motion video.

Truth be told there's two completely separate scale/physics issues with that one shot, heh.

- Something travelling the speed of light should appear to the camera all at once, since, you know, it IS the speed of light. Backwards if it's travelling faster than the speed of light. This is of course completely ignoring the whole 'lol it's slow' issue.
- Moon will never be that close in proximity to a planet without crashing into it from gravitational force

But whatever, it's a movie and it's Star Wars, it doesn't have to make perfect sense.

Rogue One
rumors actually say that the Geonosians never managed to make it work and that it's a human scientist who finally made it functional.

The 2007 Death Star novel was written specifically to reverse the complete shitting up of the lore behind it and reconcile all the disparate mentions of it, in large part thanks to the PT.

Of course, it's similarly non-canon now, but I wonder how much of Rogue One will borrow from existing EU. If there's a Kyle Katarn Imperial-turned-mercenary-turned-rebel analogue (who actually doesn't turn out to be a Jedi) I'll be a happy camper.

I'm talking about Star Wars as a movie. As a whole. That includes the characters, the impacts these things would have, what path the story would take, etc.

Yes because wanting Rey go dark side in a star wars movies that has explored that concept in previous movies(poorly) is as egregious as you wanting to see this hypothetical racist epithet.

welp

injurai

Banned
I'd really like a gif of Rey eating her dinner where she puts on the helmet.
She just looks like such a nerdy fangirl.

I love it too, in fact her whole introduction sequence. That scene was like Luke playing with his models. Luke however seems bored and trapped at his Uncle's, Rey is independent. And while socio-economically trapped on a tradepost planet, she seems ever so optimistic about her life's prospects. She is very much a self-made woman.

Savitar

I'm sure someone can answer this but wasn't it a Super Star Destroyer that Rey flew the Falcon into? Was pretty sure due to the back side of it we saw but wasn't 100% sure.

Leatherface

So I just went to IMDB to check out user reviews for movies and in doing so noticed the new Star Wars and was curious about what people thought. To my surprise the user review section was completely spammed with 1 star reviews. Really? 1 star? The WORST possible movie imaginable? All those user accounts should be banned immediately for mucking up legitimate and honest reviews. I really hope this isn't a sneak preview of what we can expect going forward with IMDB. I haven't bumped into this too much with other movies but being such a high profile release seems to have brought out the trolls. Meh.

So I just went to IMDB to check out user reviews for movies and in doing so noticed the new Star Wars and was curious about what people thought. To my surprise the user review section was completely spammed with 1 star reviews. Really? 1 star? The WORST possible movie imaginable? All those user accounts should be banned immediately for mucking up legitimate and honest reviews. I really hope this isn't a sneak preview of what we can expect going forward with IMDB. I haven't bumped into this too much with other movies but being such a high profile release seems to have brought out the trolls. Meh.

Considering that MRA is mad and boycotted the movie, I can imagine that alot of petulant men are the ones spamming 1 star reviews. Par for the course for a wildly popular movie @_@

Savitar

Considering that MRA is mad and boycotted the movie, I can imagine that alot of petulant men are the ones spamming 1 star reviews. Par for the course for a wildly popular movie @_@

Not so much that. Some fans are still angry that the EU got wiped out and have been spamming novels with one star ratings as well. Plus you got fans flipping out about you know what BECAUSE HOW DARE THEY. And then you got the Lucas lovers who think only he should do anything Star Wars.

The whole MRA thing is a non factor for the most part.

-griffy-

Banned

The overall rating is still at 8.5/10, so that loud minority isn't doing much to the aggregate. Star Wars has so much baggage though that there's always going to be some subset that hates any given installment for some reason, and TFA has the added benefit of having a competent female protagonist that will anger some subset of idiots, and Lucas having nothing to do with the new film which means it isn't a "real" Star Wars movie so some other subset is mad about that, etc.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Ha, that's pretty damn cool. The game looks so beautiful and sounds great to match, pity it's so shallow.

You got to wonder what it took to take down a SSD, those things were so massive. The one destroyed in ESB was nothing but pure luck.

Haven't read it yet, but apparently it was(canon EU spoilers)
it was purposefully scuttled
according to one of the Aftermath novels.

Fliesen

Starkiller Base had some missed opportunities.

For example, given that it was a planet, it might have been interesting if it had a native population that was being used as "human" shields. How do you then destroy the weapon without wiping out an innocent civilization?

Or the inhabitants are villains, too, and their culture's technology, rituals and pursuits power or otherwise enable the weapon.

Or it could have been cool to see the final siege taking place in different environments on and within the planet. Land, sea, air, underground, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I like the silliness of a planet-turned-weapon, but it could have had a bit more to it.

well, the Rebel attack aimed to disable the weapon of Starkiller base. Blowing it up was a nice side effect of them shooting the oscillator right when it was fully charged, thereby overloading it.

If their attack had been successful earlier, the thing would've just shut down, i guess.

So i don't think that "soft" deterrent would have been worth the hassle dealing with the native species.

One might even say that the rebels didn't bat an eye when attacking a huge laser shooting space station next to a moon inhabited by fuzzy little bear creatures.

Top Bottom