• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
But interesting *how*? That's what I don't get!

Why are you so exposed to the idea? They could make some amazing storyline dealing with it and they could make an amazing storyline with her never going to the Dark Side. Every time people bring it up you make it sound like it's impossible for them to think up an interesting storyline with her turning to the Dark Side.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Rey going dark would be interesting because I dont like the idea that I know the major story beats before they happen, I hate the idea that we are gonna follow up and Luke has been training Rey and Snoke Kylo, its so assumed and formulaic. Rey will struggle in episode 8 but valiantly triumph in episode 9 and we all go back to happy funtimes, likely Luke dies, but Snoke dies, balance etc.

They could do this and make really good movies, but id really like them to veer off just to make it less predictable.

Rey going dark would be interesting because I dont like the idea that I know the major story beats before they happen, I hate the idea that we are gonna follow up and Luke has been training Rey and Snoke Kylo, its so assumed and formulaic. Rey will struggle in episode 8 but valiantly triumph in episode 9 and we all go back to happy funtimes, likely Luke dies, but Snoke dies, balance etc.

They could do this and make really good movies, but id really like them to veer off just to make it less predictable.
To be fair, by these standards, almost all of our entertainment media is predictable. We know our heroes will come out on top, we know they're not going to die, and so on....

Boke1879

But interesting *how*? That's what I don't get!

For me it would be interesting to see the main character fall, and just kinda follow that early journey for a bit. Like that early struggle being a darkside user. While I agree with you she'll definitely be tempted I don't think she'll fall. We'll see that darkside journey through Kylo's eyes.

I don't think it is less predictable though. Because even a storyline where Rey goes full Darkside and later redeems herself... that could just be seen as a shorter version of Anakin's. The reality is that there is no real story arc that could happen that hasn't been done before. So it's not the arc itself that makes it interesting but the execution.

Personally, I want mainline Star Wars to remain a classic Hero's Journey. I want it to stay away from unneeded complexity and moral questions. I want it to be something I can watch with my young kids without having to worry about my kids being upset or confused because the "Good Guys" did something "Bad." I understand that many people, being adults, would like to see Star Wars storylines grow up a bit but I feel like that can be done with other movies in the Universe.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
To be fair, by these standards, almost all of our entertainment media is predictable. We know our heroes will come out on top, we know they're not going to die, and so on....

It is almost all predictable, which is why I stay away from it :3

Except star wars cause that got me as a youngin

Star Wars will very likely be predictable but I still hold out hopes its not, I dont mind the heroes winning the end, thats a given, but make the journey unpredictable and Rey going to the dark side would be a good start, she doesnt have to stay there, but i see no reason she cant take a detour.

Boke1879

It is almost all predictable, which is why I stay away from it :3

Except star wars cause that got me as a youngin

Star Wars will very likely be predictable but I still hold out hopes its not, I dont mind the heroes winning the end, thats a given, but make the journey unpredictable and Rey going to the dark side would be a good start, she doesnt have to stay there, but i see no reason she cant take a detour.

Well this is where I hope the Anthology movies kinda pick up the slack. While we know how Rogue One will end I'm still interested in the story they will tell and the characters. The Bounty Hunter movie is another unknown. The only movie I'm not sure about is the Han Solo movie. Simply because I don't know you're going to get the audience to buy into a new, younger Solo.

Fencedude

This is the silliest thing ever.

You tie yourself into knots by demanding everything be unpredictable like that. its like people complaining that Han's death wasn't a surprise. Of course it wasn't! It wasn't supposed to be! That was the entire point!

And can you really call this "unpredictable" if people have been putting forth the idea from day one? Its basically the most predictable "unpredictable" twist possible.

Anakin fell to the dark side

Luke has dedicated himself to the light

What will Rey do? Probably neither of those things

Snake

Just finished listening to the DP/30 interview with two of the effects directors for TFA; it was posted earlier in the week but I just now had time to listen to it. Some tidbits:

The effects workshop rolled directly from TFA to Rogue One, without much of a break. Lucasfilm (not named, but probably Kennedy) wants the films to carry that same feeling of physicality through all of them, so the big effects workshop built for TFA is a permanent institution of ILM now. They reminisced about how the spotlights shifted from practical to digital, and now there's been this realization of how they can work together better.

This is very nice to hear.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
People on twitter seem to love it.

r1cIujs.gif

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
lmao. It's not really a dig at you, but I just find that GAF and pretty much the internet at large is kinda out of tune with the general public.

I got a good chuckle when somebody here said that Star Trek Into Darkness was widely critically panned.

Snake

The only force ghost that could theoretically interest me (as well as being doable without doing something silly like overwriting Alec Guinness) would be Yoda.

Not that it would be necessary, but even a blue cgi Yoda based on the ESB model would be easier to do convincingly compared to Prequel-era Yoda.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
The only force ghost that could theoretically interest me (as well as being doable without doing something silly like overwriting Alec Guinness) would be Yoda.

Not that it would be necessary, but even a blue cgi Yoda based on the ESB model would be easier to do convincingly compared to Prequel-era Yoda.
Why not to do a puppet at that point. you could have multiple actors all green suited if you wanted to make more complex movement than ESB, but really force ghosts don't "do" much of anything.

Brakke

Banned
Force Ghosts were a mistake. Much better in ANH when we can just figure it's Luke's memory of Obi-Wan. Now we're in a jam because either they explain them and that's dumb I don't care about #ghostscience or they don't explain them and that's frustrating because people are going to keep expecting them to show up and be disappointed when they don't. The only clean out I see is Luke says they can only appear to people who knew them in life so from Rey and Ren POVs we just never see them. Or just don't acknowledge them at all.

Osahi

This is the silliest thing ever.

You tie yourself into knots by demanding everything be unpredictable like that. its like people complaining that Han's death wasn't a surprise. Of course it wasn't! It wasn't supposed to be! That was the entire point!

And can you really call this "unpredictable" if people have been putting forth the idea from day one? Its basically the most predictable "unpredictable" twist possible.

Anakin fell to the dark side

Luke has dedicated himself to the light

What will Rey do? Probably neither of those things

Real balance in the Force would be a character that embrased the dark and the light side I guess. Would be cool of they can pull that off with Rey.

Snake

Why not to do a puppet at that point. you could have multiple actors all green suited if you wanted to make more complex movement than ESB, but really force ghosts don't "do" much of anything.

Yeah, I didn't mean to rule out using a puppet, it's more of an "even if worst came to worst and they used CGI it could still be alright" situation.

JimiNutz

Banned
Force Ghosts were a mistake. Much better in ANH when we can just figure it's Luke's memory of Obi-Wan. Now we're in a jam because either they explain them and that's dumb I don't care about #ghostscience or they don't explain them and that's frustrating because people are going to keep expecting them to show up and be disappointed when they don't. The only clean out I see is Luke says they can only appear to people who knew them in life so from Rey and Ren POVs we just never see them. Or just don't acknowledge them at all.

Force Ghost can be reserved for only the very best most powerful Jedi. It's a relatively new 'trick' discovered at a time when the Jedi had just been rendered nearly extinct.
Not everyone needs to have the ability to do it - juts like not all Sith Lords need to have the Sith lightning ability. Never saw Vader pull off that shit did we?

TheXbox

Force ghosts don't have to make sense. Clone Wars has all the #ghostscience that's necessary. I think the only thing they might have to acknowledge is that the spirits or whatever don't last forever. The old EU addressed that with Ben where he just told Luke in a dream, "yo, I'm out, I got no more exposition for you," and he dipped.

If I had to guess, I'd say the only Force ghost we get in this trilogy is of Luke at the very end of Episode IX. No dialogue or anything, just the hazy apparition of a man who is unmistakably Mark Hamill. I don't know how well the ghosts of the OT would play with a modern audience. They're still cool, but dated.

If I had to guess, I'd say the only Force ghost we get in this trilogy is of Luke at the very end of Episode IX. No dialogue or anything, just the hazy apparition of a man who is unmistakably Mark Hamill. I don't know how well the ghosts of the OT would play with a modern audience. They're still cool, but dated.

Yeah, I'd like this. I always figured the Ghost Friends at the end of ROTJ were basically there to say "Good job" before they all went off to Ghost Land forever now that the threat was over. I wouldn't want to see Obi Wan called back, like Luke has him on Force Speed Dial or whatever. Let them rest, and more importantly let us see Jedi Master Luke having to deal with his own demons.

Bishop89

anyone have any idea when we can expect a blu ray release?

I suspect not for a while cause it remaining in cinemas for a while, but just curious.

Real balance in the Force would be a character that embrased the dark and the light side I guess. Would be cool of they can pull that off with Rey.

Yes, a character who actually doesn't simply take a side of the force or is corrupted by stupid means. I'd love that.

"There is no light or dark. It's just us." (Walks away from Jedi Order rebirth based on the old Jedi Order ideals)

sphagnum

Banned
Can you believe out of all the people in the right picture there's only one woman?

Frankly, yes, because prior to very recently people generally conceived of military forces as being male, and George Lucas in 1977 as a white male was probably not thinking of gender or racial politics when he was rounding up British extras to stand around as soldiers (since there's also no non-white people).

It's just one of those things you have to roll with and accept the work that the comics and books are doing to try to retcon it to be more inclusive.

Oersted

Frankly, yes, because prior to very recently people generally conceived of military forces as being male, and George Lucas in 1977 as a white male was probably not thinking of gender or racial politics when he was rounding up British extras to stand around as soldiers (since there's also no non-white people).

It's just one of those things you have to roll with and accept the work that the comics and books are doing to try to retcon it to be more inclusive.

Not accepting brought us the best lead Star Wars ever had.

Top Bottom