• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmmm looks like Luke is standing beside a gravestone if u look closely at end on the long shot before he turns around

Has there been any talk of the brief flash of a massive structure (maybe a temple) in the background of the post-massacre bit of Rey's vision? Noticed it at a screening yesterday.

Driver's delivery of "I killed him" is hilarious.

Has there been any talk of the brief flash of a massive structure (maybe a temple) in the background of the post-massacre bit of Rey's vision? Noticed it at a screening yesterday.

Well the script revealed the guy Kylo killed was some kind of clan leader. Probably some kind of base for the clan. Whoever they are.

Brakke

Banned

By now it's probably safe to say there's "been talk" of every single frame of that movie lol.

By now it's probably safe to say there's "been talk" of every single frame of that movie lol.

True enough; I'm actually surprised that, for as many times as I've seen the movie (5), I'm still spotting stuff I hadn't previously noticed.

Also I can personally confirm that the IMAX sound mix is the superior mix; the SFX doesn't drown out the score as much, but nevertheless has a bit of added 'oomph' to it (likely in the use of the bass) that lends to a far more balanced experience.

sphagnum

Banned
Not accepting brought us the best lead Star Wars ever had.

I didn't say "accept gender inequality", I said "accept that A New Hope was made in 1977 and reflects a different time in society". The stories may take place in the same universe but out of universe, the films are still going to reflect the society of the time. Such as TFA.

Frankly, yes, because prior to very recently people generally conceived of military forces as being male, and George Lucas in 1977 as a white male was probably not thinking of gender or racial politics when he was rounding up British extras to stand around as soldiers (since there's also no non-white people).

It's just one of those things you have to roll with and accept the work that the comics and books are doing to try to retcon it to be more inclusive.

And what about 1999-2005? Lucas got worse with time not better.

Surfinn

True enough; I'm actually surprised that, for as many times as I've seen the movie (5), I'm still spotting stuff I hadn't previously noticed.

Also I can personally confirm that the IMAX sound mix is the superior mix; the SFX doesn't drown out the score as much, but nevertheless has a bit of added 'oomph' to it (likely in the use of the bass) that lends to a far more balanced experience.
This has been my experience as well. Going again soon.

I didn't say "accept gender inequality", I said "accept that A New Hope was made in 1977 and reflects a different time in society". The stories may take place in the same universe but out of universe, the films are still going to reflect the society of the time. Such as TFA.
1) Not all of those people were military.
2) Accepting doesn't mean I still have to like it.
3) If it was a strictly a product of the age, why wasn't the PT any better in this regard?

sphagnum

Banned
1) Not all of those people were military.
2) Accepting doesn't mean I still have to like it.
3) If it was a strictly a product of the age, why wasn't the PT any better in this regard?

I'm sorry if I came off as contrary or something, I'm on your side. I never meant to imply that you have to like it or should like it. I don't. I personally always wanted Lucas to go back and throw in more women and non-white guys and aliens in the backgrounds during Rebel Alliance scenes in his never-ending re-edits (since I'm one of those people who doesn't mind most of his changes), or reintroduce those female pilots who got cut from Endor. I just thought it was a strange question because, yes, it's totally believable that a movie by a white guy from 40 years ago would have a blind spot to gender or other non-majority representation. The PT is much more diverse, but it's not more diverse in the major parts (the primary characters) and I can only assume that's because George Lucas was in charge and he, being the same person, continues to have a blind spot for some things even if he doesn't for other things.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Welp, Star Wars date didn't go well in the end. "I'm a bit complicated", said the lady. Oh well, not like there was a huge chemistry between us.

On the plus side, I liked TFA more than I did the first time. I already liked it the first time, but once you know it's gonna be super fast-paced with lots of retreads, you can appreciate the movie more.

It's the anti-prequel in that sense: with the prequels, once you get past the novel elements, you notice the fact that they're just poorly-made movies at their core. With this, once you go past the boring/lazy retreads, you realize there's a really good movie underneath.

chaislip3

I wonder if Phasma will even be in the First Order in VIII. I mean, she was one of the main reasons why the base was destroyed. It'd be pretty awesome if she became a bounty hunter or something and had to hunt down Finn.

Alienous

What if Phasma is dead, but Kylo decides to launch a new clonetrooper program with Phasma as the template.

Why?

She's just as useless as all of the other stormtroopers but is given, for some reason, more authority.

She's a bank employee who's too afraid or stupid to press the panic button.

If she isn't dead the next film should start with her execution.

I wonder if Phasma will even be in the First Order in VIII. I mean, she was one of the main reasons why the base was destroyed. It'd be pretty awesome if she became a bounty hunter or something and had to hunt down Finn.

Well no one should know that it was her that let the shield down. Without the detonators Chewie and Han set, its destruction wouldn't have been possible anyway. There's no reason she couldn't crawl back to the First Order.

The bounty hunter twist could be interesting, but I'd be worried they'd go the Boba Fett route.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I've mentioned this a lot before, but I like the idea of a disgraced-drunkard captain Phasma similar to Commodore Norrington in the Pirates of the Carribean films.

It'd make for a hilarious scene if they revisit Maz's cantina and she's there wasting away her sorrows. Then she sees Finn and is like "YOU."

Alienous

I hope they break Star Wars tradition to show Phasma's hanging before the title crawl of the next film, just to convey the magnitude of her fuck up.

There are convenience store workers with more fortitude than her.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I hope they break Star Wars tradition to show Phasma's hanging before the title crawl of the next film, just to convey the magnitude of her fuck up.

When VII was announced, I was half expecting them to already break opening crawl tradition. Do a Star Trek 09 prologue then BAM opening crawl.

Definitely still would've been blasphemous though.

Not accepting brought us the best lead Star Wars ever had.

Woah woah woah let's not get ahead of ourselves. Luke is GOAT.

Luke-Skywalker-photo.jpg

I've mentioned this a lot before, but I like the idea of a disgraced-drunkard captain Phasma similar to Commodore Norrington in the Pirates of the Carribean films.

It'd make for a hilarious scene if they revisit Maz's cantina and she's there wasting away her sorrows. Then she sees Finn and is like "YOU."

This makes me think of the Turks in FFVII. Just going off and on in how much they give a shit. They take breaks even when the audience is watching.

The Mary Sue truthers should be happy about how Phasma played out.

I think she will have a larger role next movie.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
In my head I figured Phasma would be expelled from the First Order for her part in lowering the shields and would go all bounty hunter after Finn, perhaps a modified version of the stormtrooper armour.

Id love to see her mercilessly hunting down the
tr8tor

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

you can't hang a droid (effectively)

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Phasma is definitely being set up to be a chief rival for Finn going forward. He got the drop on her last time, and she's going to be back with an axe to grind.

I think they're next meet up should be fun and tense. I also don't think she's remaining a member of the First Order. I can see her being disgraced and setting off on her own, probably a merc for hire while she tracks down Finn for vengeance. Basically Boba Fett, without the getting paid to bring Finn down. I imagine part of Finn's adventure in episode 8 will be trying to accomplish whatever goal he's trying to accomplish, while being dogged by Phasma.

Don't get the hate for her just because she didn't have a huge part in this movie. She wasn't even a secondary character, just a small part. Her awesome design drew attention to her, but she was never going to be a primary antagonist in this first movie due to the limited screen time for secondary character development (like Poe).

Real Hero

Let's see if Rey goes through any actual development before she considered the best. There's no reason they won't end up being at least equally as good as each other by the time trilogy ends, I have faith.

Ridley was definitely superior to Hamill in the original, but I don't think she's met some of his high's in Empire or Jedi yet. Undeniably a fantastic choice for Rey though. All the casting was spot on.

Top Bottom