• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

watershed

Banned
There's no room for interpretation here whatsoever. You're either (poorly) trolling, or just seeing what you want to see for some insane reason. Even if you ignorantly disregard the official comments confirming it's a thumbs up, just based on the film content alone, there's absolutely ZERO chance it's a middle finger. How anyone could possibly seriously think so is far beyond my capacity.

There will not be robot birds flipped in a mainline Star Wars film, ever.

Seriously, I don't understand why this is even a question. But moving on...

BouncyFrag

Can someone explaine snork to me
snorky6.jpg

??

Nothing about that exchange, or BB-8's character thus far, indicates that it's a hostile system. BB-8 is putting his trust in Finn, because up until that point, Finn has been a good guy (saving Poe, helping to protect the Falcon while Rey piloted). It really shouldn't even be a debate. It's a clear as day thumbs up. Interpret it as a middle finger if you want, but, honestly, that's the wrong interpretation.
BB8 doesn't necessarily need to be a hostile system to flick him off. I don't think BB was flicking him off but I can see how it could be a "fuck you for getting me into this situation" kind of thing.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I just saw ESB again (it was on some TV channel) and I tried to watch it through the eyes of a nitpicker. My God, this movie would have been demolished and shred to pieces in today's world. I gave up and enjoy it in the end as the best SW movie that it is, but TFA still does so many things in a better way.

Oh, and you know why Rey picks the Force abilities faster than Luke? Because she doesn't have time to pity herself so much. Every time she meets the Force, it's a life and death situation, not a Rocky/Karate Kid training. Also probably she's out of pity for herself after what she has been trough.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Man Im taking release day off from work~~~~

These Gif's are killing me. Were gonna have to wait till May arent we?

probably yes. already pre-ordered the steelbook edition on amazon :D

I just saw ESB again (it was on some TV channel) and I tried to watch it through the eyes of a nitpicker. My God, this movie would have been demolished and shred to pieces in today's world. I gave up and enjoy it in the end as the best SW movie that it is, but TFA still does so many things in a better way.

Oh, and you know why Rey picks the Force abilities faster than Luke? Because she doesn't have time to pity herself so much. Every time she meets the Force, it's a life and death situation, not a Rocky/Karate Kid training. Also probably she's out of pity for herself after what she has been trough.
a difference between luke and rey that existed from the start was that Rey wants to believe in the force and loves the stories about luke and the rebellion. luke on the other hand is more anxious about everything he does.

at least that's what I got from it.

Eh, I feel like this is taking for granted the twists, turns, and settings that make the movie special because it's so ingrained in our pop culture.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
BB8 doesn't necessarily need to be a hostile system to flick him off. I don't think BB was flicking him off but I can see how it could be a "fuck you for getting me into this situation" kind of thing.

But...it's not. It's a thumbs up. There really is nothing to debate between the people that think it's a middle finger, and those that think it's a thumbs up. It really does confuse me how people can come up with that interpretation of the scene. They even have Finn's thumb in the same shot as BB-8's thumbs up to accentuate the point that BB-8 is mimicking Finn, and going along with his plan. BB-8 doesn't seem to be as cheeky as R2 personality wise. He looks to be a pretty agreeable droid in comparison.

But...it's not. It's a thumbs up. There really is nothing to debate between the people that think it's a middle finger, and those that think it's a thumbs up. It really does confuse me how people can come up with that interpretation of the scene. They even have Finn's thumb in the same shot as BB-8's thumbs up to accentuate the point that BB-8 is mimicking Finn, and going along with his plan. BB-8 doesn't seem to be as cheeky as R2 personality wise. He looks to be a pretty agreeable droid in comparison.
Hey, I completely agree, but I can see the reasoning.

Veelk

Banned
There's no ambiguity. It's just a tiny percentage of viewers reading into it that which is not there. The filmmakers have even confirmed as much.
I laugh when filmmakers try to say they meant something. Death of the author ftw. All I need to do is support how a middle finger was a valid interpretation of the scene. Which I did, so now it is. Nyeh.

The way he extended his little fiery lighter suggests to me it's a middle finger. See a thumb usually extends upward towards your body. A middle finger usually extends upwards away from your body. That little fiery device BB-8 gave to Finn is definitely a middle finger.

giphy.gif

vs a thumbs up

Context and evidence highly suggests it is a middle finger.

Thats why he gave up the location directly after? Did exactly what Finn asked.

C'mon people think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

prag16

Banned
I laugh when filmmakers try to say they meant something. Death of the author ftw. All I need to do is support how a middle finger was a valid interpretation of the scene. Which I did, so now it is. Nyeh.
So they meant what you say they mean, even when they explicitly said otherwise? Okay, guy.

And what is nyeh.

Veelk

Banned
So they meant what you say they mean, even when they explicitly said otherwise? Okay, guy.

No, death of the author means what the author meant is irrelevant to what the content of the work is. If they say they meant to make it a thumbs up, I have no reason to disbelieve them. I just also don't have any reason to give that interpretation weight. That I see a middle finger outweighs whatever they say. So nyeh.

No, death of the author means what the author meant is irrelevant to what the content of the work is. If they say they meant to make it a thumbs up, I have no reason to disbelieve them. I just also don't have any reason to give that interpretation weight. That I see a middle finger outweighs whatever they say. So nyeh.
I interpret Chewie as the emperor in a bear suit. It's clear he is the emperor, and I have no reason to give any other interpretation any weight. I see palpatine in disguise and this outweighs anything you see about the character. Btw it's nyah.

Veelk

Banned
I interpret Chewie as the emperor in a bear suit. It's clear he is the emperor, and I have no reason to give any other interpretation any weight. I see palpatine in disguise and this outweighs anything you see about the character. Btw it's nyah.
Where is your textual support of that interpretation? DotA doesn't mean no support, you just have to use the actual content to validate your thesis, not the authors statements outside the work.

And it's nyeh if I damn well say it is.

OraleeWey

Thats why he gave up the location directly after? Did exactly what Finn asked.

C'mon people think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't remember 100% but I think he gave him the middle finger/thumbs up after he revealed the location.

And what is nyeh.
Do you really think that the filmmakers are going to publicly say that it was meant to be a middle finger for a pg-13 movie?

Do you also think that a substantial amount of people who watched the movie are going to search online wether it was a middle finger/thumbs up afterwards? No. They're going to go home with their interpretation.

prag16

Banned
The novelization says it's a thumbs up, and the script probably does too.

This whole conversion is ridiculous. In context, the idea that it could possibly be a middle finger is too absurd to seriously consider.

Veelk

Banned

This whole conversion is ridiculous. In context, the idea that it could possibly be a middle finger is too absurd to seriously consider.
Great for the novel and the script. I saw the movie and that's the only material relevant to the conversation.

You aren't really explaining (using the actual movie content) why this interpretation is impossible.

The script doesn't say it's a thumbs up. It just says that BB pulls out the lighter.

Where is your textual support of that interpretation? DotA doesn't mean no support, you just have to use the actual content to validate your thesis.

And it's nyeh if I damn well say it is.
There is no textual support, these are movies. The extremely thin limbs indicate stilts, which is clearly necessary from the emperor's short stature. The incoherent yodeling is clearly not a real language. Only the emperor could be using the force to directly communicate to han's mind with the cover story of the false wookie speach.

Btw, you have zero textual evidence for a middle finger. We also have zero evidence for middle finger as a gesture in this galaxy, but do have thumbs up evidence. On my side, disguised characters have clear precedent. See leia, lando, in jabbas palace.
Great for the novel and the script. I saw the movie and that's the only material relevant to the conversation.
Oh, then asking for textual support is irrelevant. Good thing you just weren't demanding textual proof....

Oh wait

guek

Banned

I don't think that's fair to Luke. Even when he's hanging upside down in the ice cave on Hoth, moments away from being mauled to death, he still struggles to move the saber because he's untrained. And that's the guy who is supposed to have the second greatest force potential of any force sensitive in history.

The way Rey is seen picking up the force at the rate she does is something we haven't ever seen in Star Wars movies. The closest we've gotten is Anakin being able to pass the simple Jedi tests before the council but that's not remotely comparable to overpowering a trained force user on two different occasions (mind reading, saber pull) or pulling off force persuasion on the second attempt.

Veelk

Banned
There is no textual support, these are movies. The extremely thin limbs indicate stilts, which is clearly necessary from the emperor's short stature. The incoherent yodeling is clearly not a real language. Only the emperor could be using the force to directly communicate to han's mind with the cover story of the false wookie speach.
Sounds like you don't know what textual support is then. So how do you explain the emperor and chewy being in different places at once in jedi? That's the kind of questions you have to answer using the movies content if you want to argue that perspective.

Btw, you have zero textual evidence for a middle finger. We also have zero evidence for middle finger as a gesture in this galaxy, but do have thumbs up evidence. On my side, disguised characters have clear precedent. See leia, lando, in jabbas palace.

My textual evidence is that bb8 is frustrated with Finn's BS and being flustered about helping him out. That's all I really need to interpret it was a middle finger, it was just an annoyance at Finns exuberance and dragging him into the lie. It would be within his character since he was enthusiastic about shocking him earlier.

I don't need to prove it without a measure of a doubt, I just need to allow the room for its possibility.
Oh, then asking for textual support is irrelevant. Good thing you just weren't demanding textual proof....

Oh wait

Again, you don't seem to know what textual evidence is lol. It's not literal text. It just means explicit content of the movie.

phanphare

Banned
My textual evidence is that bb8 is frustrated with Finn's BS and being flustered about helping him out. That's all I really need to interpret it was a middle finger, it was just an annoyance at Finns exuberance and dragging him into the lie. It would be within his character since he was enthusiastic about shocking him earlier.

I don't need to prove it without a measure of a doubt, I just need to allow the room for its possibility.

do you actually believe this though or are you just arguing that it could be justified?

Sounds like you don't know what textual support is then. So how do you explain the emperor and chewy being in different places at once in jedi? That's the kind of questions you have to answer using the movies content if you want to argue that perspective.

Again, you don't seem to know what textual evidence is lol. It's not literal text. It just means explicit content of the movie.

The BB-8 twists it's arm to bring the lighter facing up, clearly imitating the rotation of your wrist to make a thumbs-up.

Discussion over.

The force explains everything. Also, we have clear precedent for the emperor appearing as a hologram. Where is your proof that this was not the case? Nobody is observed touching either the emperor or Chewie at a time when either could not have been a hologram or have force teleported and then holo-replaced. That's my interpretation, all textually based. The power to destroy a planet, is, after all, insignificant compared to the force.

Top Bottom