• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Uh, no? How would it get ripped apart if it's so good? Real people don't judge movies based on how long its flaw list is.

Nah, nowadays people sort entertainment into two categories: "GOAT" or "Dogshit." There is no in between anymore. From games to movies, if it's not the best thing ever, then it's obviously shit tier. "Good" things just can't exist anymore. The internet told me so.

Empire would certainly be criticized for a few of its shortcomings, such as it's use of Leia, and Lando being a turncoat swindler (even if both are charming characters). But overall, I think the movie would be enjoyed on the whole, by the vast majority. It's a well done movie with some flaws. It's still my favorite of the seven Star Wars movies, with The Force Awakens nabbing the second spot.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Nope.

In "The Force Awakens", Rey's highlight is that she fights and sort of defeats Kylo Ren.

In "A New Hope", Luke's highlight is that he blows up the Death Star.

As of Episode 7: Rey < Luke

Just wait until Rey starts fighting Force deities, God of War 3 style

n5R84W.gif

Ishida

Banned
A little offtopic.

I was watching Revenge of the Sith a few hours ago, and noticed a very funny continuity error in the fight between Obi Wan and Anakin.

I can't believe I haven't noticed that before. Can you guess guess what that is?

:D

injurai

Banned
A little offtopic.

I was watching Revenge of the Sith a few hours ago, and noticed a very funny continuity error in the fight between Obi Wan and Anakin.

I can't believe I haven't noticed that before. Can you guess guess what that is?

:D

Obi-wan's eye color.

Ishida

Banned
Damn it Ishida, this is GAF, not BuzzFeed.

Ha ha ha ha! Okay sorry. Here it is.

During the scene when Anakin is choking Obi Wan, the lightsaber that Obi Wan is holding in his hand changes from his own, to Anakin's.

Obi Wan's.
ckpa3Na.jpg

Obi Wan's.
PQaptrb.jpg

Anakin's.
juHyEHl.jpg

Anakin's.
IqbL7c9.jpg

During the scene when Anakin is choking Obi Wan, the lightsaber that Obi Wan is holding in his hand changes from his own, to Anakin's.

uhhh

unless Anakins hand is extended all around Obi-Wans back, that's still Obi-Wans hand >_>; Just in an awkward position

Oooh you mean the actual lightsaber, NEVERMIND THEN

injurai

Banned
George Lucas loves flipping frames around. In fact the entire lava river sequence is playing backwards and is flipped. Obviously the actors aren't but what is cast onto the green screen is.

prag16

Banned
uhhh

unless Anakins hand is extended all around Obi-Wans back, that's still Obi-Wans hand >_>; Just in an awkward position

Oooh you mean the actual lightsaber, NEVERMIND THEN

No, you're right the first time. The lightsaber never leaves Obi Wan's hand. Not sure what you guys are talking about...

EDIT: Nevermind. Derp. That's weird.

Gleethor

George Lucas loves flipping frames around. In fact the entire lava river sequence is playing backwards and is flipped. Obviously the actors aren't but what is cast onto the green screen is.

There's a lot of this in Jedi's speeder bike chase too. The background flipping/reversing I mean.

"Is it some kind of magical lightsaber that changes forms?!"

Obviously the lightsabers Anakin touches are special, his touch can manifest a will upon it. It's how Rey was contacted by Anakins old Lightsaber, it was his willpower that not only reached her but will turn her to the dark side. George Lucas knew this would be the path the new trilogy would take, he left a hint in his last movie of the PT.

Rey will go dark side! Proof at last!

prag16

Banned
That's a Joke ? Rey is likeable but not even close overall.

If you've been following The Librarian's posts here at all, you'll know it's 100% not a joke. She essentially thinks this almost strictly because Rey is a woman. As of now she's wrong imo.

But her arc is far from over. She has the potential
and the high midichlorian count

I get nervous thinking about the numerous ways they can fuck up the development of the newer characters later on.

They already have though, according to some, haha. Kylo is whiny/weak. Rey is a mary sue. Finn is a black stereotype. BB8 is a bird flipping asshole. (A little OT to bring that stuff up right now, but saw another chance to scoff at the ridiculousness of those stances, so I took it.)

TFA Rey > ANH Luke to a massive degree. Blame fantasy cliche but Luke is a farmboy, and chosen one farmboys who save the world are old hat and then some.

Technically Luke wasn't just any farmboy @_@

Just like we'll find out Rey is really Lukes daughter and she inherited all of his power

Xamdou

Technically Luke wasn't just any farmboy @_@

Just like we'll find out Rey is really Lukes daughter and she inherited all of his power

Rey is a mechanic, ace pilot, powerful with the force and the catalyst leading to Luke so is there really any doubt she isn't Luke's daughter?

GQkOyDp.gif

Can't wait for the crow eating in 2 years
hopefully im not the one eating because of a tag bet

I'll make a tag bet

if Rey isn't Lukes daughters, then I'll take the tag of 'I'm a Mary Sue'.

Rey is a mechanic, ace pilot, powerful with the force and the catalyst to leading to Luke so is there really any doubt she isn't Luke's daughter?

I mean, that would mean that she's not unique or special and not related to anyone >_>; some people wouldn't like that

TheXbox

TFA Rey > ANH Luke to a massive degree. Blame fantasy cliche but Luke is a farmboy, and chosen one farmboys who save the world are old hat and then some.
Secret Jedi desert orphans are SO old hat. Now a desert orphan who's a secret Jedi, THAT'S original.

I agree that Rey is better than ANH Luke, but Rey would not exist without Luke. She is iterative, not original.

Toothless

I wonder what kind of role Benicio del Toro will play... Imperial officer? Knight of Ren?

EDIT: sorry misspelled his name... mobile

General of the Republic who was off-planet when his family was destroyed. He blames the Resistance for it and is out for revenge! Bum bum bum

"Time to meet Yoda."

BTM

Yo guys, what if Rey is Kylo's daughter!!! He's what, 13 years older than Rey? Anything is possible with the force.

prag16

Banned
If she's Luke's daughter I don't think I'll bother watching the sequel. That would be so lazy.
How would having her be a random help the story though? (Aside from some fans thinking that it makes the universe feel larger.)

And yeah, like BreezyLimbo above said... as much as I love TFA, a few aspects were FAR lazier than Rey being Luke's daughter, namely Death Star 3.

really glad that they included the BB-8 lighter shot, it's a great way to judge someone's intelligence. if someone says it's a middle finger, you know you should never listen to their opinion about anything ever

But but but "death of the author". /s

How would having her be a random help the story though? (Aside from some fans thinking that it makes the universe feel larger.)

And yeah, like BreezyLimbo above said... as much as I love TFA, a few aspects were FAR lazier than Rey being Luke's daughter, namely Death Star 3.

How dare you call me Guy and not memorize my name

BREEZY IS FOR THE SOFT WIND IN A NICE SUMMER DAY

LIMBO IS FOR THE EVENTUAL END THAT WE ALL SUFFER

TOGETHER THEY ARE....

COGNITIVE DISSONANCE!

Edit-Dammit! Your editing powers were too fast for my quoting powers!

prag16

Banned
^^ Ninja edit for the win. Boom.

EDIT: and you ninja'd this post with your own edit. We'll call this one a draw good sir.

And yeah, like the guy above said... as much as I love TFA, a few aspects were FAR lazier than Rey being Luke's daughter, namely Death Star 3.

It wouldn't and it doesn't need to, her being abandoned by her parents is enough, it even creates a possible sub plot they could explore later on. I don't really see how her being a Skywalker will help the story too. I just feels like if she hands up being Luke's daughter the franchise will focus too much on the Skywalker (yes even more then now). I found Kylo Ren being Han and Leia's son plausible but some girl on a random planet being in fact Luke's daughter feels too forced to me.

It wouldn't and it doesn't need to, her being abandoned by her parents is enough, it even creates a possible sub plot they could explore later on. I don't really see how her being a Skywalker will help the story too. I just feels like if she hands up being Luke's daughter the franchise will focus too much on the Skywalker (yes even more then now). I found Kylo Ren being Han and Leia's son plausible but some girl on a random planet being in fact Luke's daughter feels too forced to me.

Some random girl in some random planet being a Skywalker would be forced to you, when in fact that random planet just randomly had a Millenium Falcon and it just so randomly happened to contain the last fragment of Skywalkers location found by a random pilot sent by a random Leia.

Edit:OH AND HAN SOLO JUST RANDOMLY RUNS INTO THE MILLENIUM FALCON THAT JUST HYPER DRIVED OUT OF JAKKUS ORBIT

Obi Wan's.
ckpa3Na.jpg

Obi Wan's.
PQaptrb.jpg

Anakin's.
juHyEHl.jpg

Anakin's.
IqbL7c9.jpg

Palpatine also uses Anakin's lightsaber when fighting Mace. It gets around a bit.

Top Bottom