• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
She is the first person you see though. I've always thought they were referring to her.

Who else would they refer to? Yoda confirms it a movie later by saying: There is another Skywalker and Luke is telling the Force is strong in his family, my Father, me, my sister.

There is no way 'the other' Yoda speaks off is anyone other than Leia.

That's the obvious way to interpret that dialogue, yes.

As far as I remember, the line in Empire was actually set up for Eps 7-9 which were to feature a new protagonist but once we roll around to Jedi the plan had changed and so that line now refers to Leia.

Any editing in Empire is just a coincidence.

Chuckie

As far as I remember, the line in Empire was actually set up for Eps 7-9 which were to feature a new protagonist but once we roll around to Jedi the plan had changed and so that line now refers to Leia.

Any editing in Empire is just a coincidence.

I don't think there were ever plans for 7-9 so I doubt that.

I think I have heard there was supposed to be another Jedi who was not Leia. So you could be right about the editing being a coincidence.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yes and probably the correct way too. I am not understanding what you are trying to say.

Leia is not set up in any way as "the possible other". She is somehow hinted as force sensitive, but in ESB that is used only to find Luke under Cloud City and even that might be interpreted as Luke getting in her mind. Even Darth Vader thinks she's not important anymore, not even as a leader of the rebels or something.

Yes, it's is followed up in RotJ, but it seems more like something decided after ESB.

Chuckie

Leia is not set up in any way as "the possible other". Yes, she is Force sensitive, but in ESB that is used only to find Luke under Cloud City. Even Darth Vader thinks she's not important anymore, not even as a leader of the rebels of something.

Yes, it's is somehow followed up in RotJ, but it seems more like something decided after ESB.

Reading up on all of this I think it is like this:

You are right that originally the 'other' referred to an unknown Jedi to be used in ROTJ.
They followed it up with Leia in ROTJ and with that she became 'the other'. So even if they originally had some other plan, in the end Leia is the only other that mattered.
That is how the story became, so canonically Yoda speaks of Leia (even if this was decided post ESB)

In no way it referred to Rey (unless they somehow retcon that too :p)

Leia is not set up in any way as "the possible other". She is somehow hinted as force sensitive, but in ESB that is used only to find Luke under Cloud City and even that might be interpreted as Luke getting in her mind. Even Darth Vader thinks she's not important anymore, not even as a leader of the rebels or something.

Yes, it's is followed up in RotJ, but it seems more like something decided after ESB.

100% they were going to introduce another woman as Luke's sister but in the midst of writing ROTJ decided to make it Leia.

It's why as great as the series is it has a shoddy track record with build up and payoff with the exception of Luke/Vader/Emperor and even that wasn't planned until the writing of ESB

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
In no way it referred to Rey (unless they somehow retcon that too :p)

Yeah, I know. But having seen ESB again last night and then jumping in this thread right into the discussion about the origin of Rey I thought that this would be a funny spin. So it started as a joke and continued as an interesting discussion. :p

eLGee

I watched TFA three times now, there is no Obi Wan in Rey's flashback, not even a voice. I'm not sure where people were getting this notion.

It's there. It's even subtitled in the Swedish release of the film. The sound in your theatre must be improperly set up.

Chuckie

Yeah, I know. But having seen ESB again last night and then jumping in this thread right into the discussion about the origin of Rey I thought that this would be a funny spin. So it started as a joke and continued as an interesting discussion. :p

Hahaha, now I understand.

injurai

Banned
GQkOyDp.gif

Can't wait for the crow eating in 2 years
hopefully im not the one eating because of a tag bet

Marston is the hero we deserve.
But not the one fan-fictions need right now.

Bishop89

I think its quite obvious the 'other' refers to Leia.

Even Vader references this with "if you will not turn to the dark side perhaps she will".

I think you all are overthinking this.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think its quite obvious the 'other' refers to Leia.

Even Vader references this with "if you will not turn to the dark side perhaps she will".

I think you all are overthinking this.

That happens only in RotJ. In ESB Vader doesn't care about Leia one bit.

FyreWulff

Out of all the edits George did, I'm surprised he never tried to redo any Vader lines in the original Star Wars to make the Leia thing more concrete.

Dude will outright erase actors from existence, but not change that. What he changes never seems to make sense.

I think I have heard there was supposed to be another Jedi who was not Leia. So you could be right about the editing being a coincidence.

Nah, there was definitely a rough plan for a sequel trilogy but Lucas shelved them after making Empire.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sequel_trilogy

Wookieepedia I know, but the plan was there and that line of dialogue was the first seed planted for it.

Ah I heard (read) about the other Skywalker not being Leia originally but I thought they would meet in ROTJ, not in a new Trilogy.

The more you know!

I can't quite recall but I'm not even sure the new protagonist was going to be a Skywalker. The plan was for them to be younger than Luke but already born in Empire.

Who knows though really. Lucas has contradicted himself about it all so many times.

For instance, one of the more recent Official History... books apparently had a note purportedly written by Lucas in 1976 that mentions midichlorians but the author finally admitted it was actually written in 2007.

Garlador

Out of all the edits George did, I'm surprised he never tried to redo any Vader lines in the original Star Wars to make the Leia thing more concrete.

Dude will outright erase actors from existence, but not change that. What he changes never seems to make sense.

That's not the only thing he probably should have addressed...
leia-kisses-luke-o.gif

... I still hate the "Leia is his sister" twist. It makes zero sense, serves nothing to the plot, and purely exists to give George and easy out of the love triangle so Han is in the clear.

And yet, after all those special editions, it never was addressed or made less... uncomfortable.
star-wars-leia-and-luke-kiss.jpg

2010289_1316684920816.7res_468_359.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
People noticed this when the film came out, it's because they shot footage of them disarming each other and having to grab each other's sabers, but in editing George cut it together differently, the final scene is cobbled together from different segments of a longer scene.

You learn something new everyday.

What if it's revealed that Rey, not Anakin, was the actual person predicted to bring balance to the force.

That is such a comic-book level retcon, and it deflates the redemption angle of the Original Trilogy. There is enough flexibility within the Star Wars universe to allow Rey to be something completely new, let her have her own better thought out and written prophecy than just a prequel retread.

The Journal of the Whills has plenty of room, lets give Rey a few prophecies all her own.

Sephzilla

And yet, after all those special editions, it never was addressed or made less... uncomfortable.

George Lucas is too concerned with ruining scenes that were perfectly fine on their own rather than make updates that actually make sense. He'd probably just put a CGI rock in front of Luke just to mask the kiss in Empire anyway.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

I mean Max von Sydow was supposed to be a Jedi in the floating Lightsaber script

-griffy-

Banned
To swerve away from the current conversation...

In reference to the name Kylo Ren, has anyone talked about how Kylo Ren is Ben's taken name, and Ren comes directly from being a member of the Knights of Ren (and confirmed by filmmakers before release), which would make his name Kylo, and Ren is presumably a title of sorts, like Darth.

Yet members of the First Order refer to him as Ren at least once in The Force Awakens, rather than Kylo. Is there significance to that?

CassSept

In reference to the name Kylo Ren, has anyone talked about how Kylo Ren is Ben's taken name, and Ren comes directly from being a member of the Knights of Ren (and confirmed by filmmakers before release), which would make his name Kylo, and Ren is presumably a title of sorts, like Darth.

Yet members of the First Order refer to him as Ren at least once in The Force Awakens, rather than Kylo. Is there significance to that?

Maybe another nod to how in A New Hope many Imperial soldiers referred to Darth Vader simply as 'Darth'. Well, not only them, Obi called him that at least once too.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Maybe another nod to how in A New Hope many Imperial soldiers referred to Darth Vader simply as 'Darth'. Well, not only them, Obi called him that at least once too.
I could see Hux using it in a derogatory fashion too.

'Fuckin Rens'

"Ren" as a rank. Subordinates shouldn't be calling their commanders by their first name.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

That was because Darth was his first name when they made ANH in 1977, it wasn't a title.

'Kylo' is supposed to be a portmanteau of Skywalker and Solo right?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
What does Yoda say in Rey's vision?

I didn't realize it was newly recorded Frank Oz lines.

It wasn't, he did record some new dialogue but they went with an old line instead. Personally I couldn't hear what he said in either of my viewings, I only heard Obi-Wan.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
He's the biggest Mary Sue of all time. An immaculately conceived, freakishly powerful kid who was an amazing pilot at age 8 and has killer good looks. Basically Space Jesus.
Mary Sues commit massmurder and genocide? I thought they are something the viewer wants to be

Top Bottom