• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Some random girl in some random planet being a Skywalker would be forced to you, when in fact that random planet just randomly had a Millenium Falcon and it just so randomly happened to contain the last fragment of Skywalkers location found by a random pilot sent by a random Leia.

Yeah that would be to much for me, I can let slide some coincidences, but when basically everything is just that there comes a point where I just give up. Like Han searching the Millenium Falcom for years but so happens to found it just when Rey and Finn are in there, rolled my eyes when that happened.

Yeah that would be to much for me, I can let slide some coincidences, but when basically everything is just that there comes a point where I just give up. Like Han searching the Millenium Falcom for years but so happens to found it just when Rey and Finn are in there, rolled my eyes when that happened.

That is TFA. Just a bunch of coincidences all lined up in a neat package. At this point, Rey being Lukes daughter would be the least surprising thing.

Mariolee

Ha ha ha ha! Okay sorry. Here it is.

During the scene when Anakin is choking Obi Wan, the lightsaber that Obi Wan is holding in his hand changes from his own, to Anakin's.

Obi Wan's.
ckpa3Na.jpg

Obi Wan's.
PQaptrb.jpg

Anakin's.
juHyEHl.jpg

Anakin's.
IqbL7c9.jpg

Wow, nice catch. Make a reddit post and watch it go viral.

GhaleonEB

A lot of all the Star Wars films can be broken down to coincidences, but that one is actually explained in the film.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
What if the Chosen One prophecy is some cyclical thing and Rey is next in line?

Though that makes for an incredibly short cycle if that's the case.

A lot of all the Star Wars films can be broken down to coincidences, but that one is actually explained in the film.

It's explained how the Falcon got on Jakku

But it's not explained how Finn and Rey managed to stop the hyperdrive right next to Hans salvage ship

It's a coincidence @_@

Ishida

Banned
Palpatine also uses Anakin's lightsaber when fighting Mace. It gets around a bit.

Well I'll be damned, it's true! It's kind of funny that they would make such a weird mistake, but if it took us more than 10 years to find out, then I guess it was not very clear to see. :p

Thanks! I don't use Reddit, but maybe someone can post it there. :)

What if the Chosen One prophecy is some cyclical thing and Rey is next in line?

Though that makes for an incredibly short cycle if that's the case.

What if it's revealed that Rey, not Anakin, was the actual person predicted to bring balance to the force. Remember, in Revenge of the Sith, Yoda conceited they may have read the prophecy wrong. What if they jumped the gun with Anakin and that jumping of the gun (Qui-Gon's fault?) led to everything that happened- Anakin's downfall, rise and fall of the Empire, etc.

MMarston

What if it's Chosen Ones, and Rey or Luke aren't the only ones with a special destiny planted by the Force? Their magnified powers merely play a role in a bigger scheme that needs other essential cogs.

Think of the Warriors of Light in Final Fantasy.

What if it's revealed that Rey, not Anakin, was the actual person to bring balance to the force. Remember, in Revenge of the Sith, Yoda conceited they may have read the prophecy wrong. What if they jumped the gun with Anakin and that jumping of the gun (Qui-Gon's fault?) led to everything that happened- Anakin's downfall, rise and fall of the Empire, etc.

I kinda want it to be Kylo Ren

for reasons

Well I'll be damned, it's true! It's kind of funny that they would make such a weird mistake, but if it took us more than 10 years to find out, then I guess it was not very clear to see. :p

It was George changing his mind as usual. I think originally the fight involved Palpatine snatching Anakin's saber from him, or something.

MMarston

It was George changing his mind as usual. I think originally the fight involved Palpatine snatching Anakin's saber from him, or something.

wouldn't really explain how Anakin's saber got back to him considering the one Sheev was using got tossed

drawkcaB

My memory is sketchy, but the prequels the Jedi couldn't sense that Palpatine was a Sith Lord because the dark side "clouds" their perception of something, right? And that was despite the Sith Lord being, literally, at arms length at numerous instances.

So if this gaggle of Jedis can't get that right, why should anyone put any sort of weight into the prophecy at all?

MMarston

My memory is sketchy, but the prequels the Jedi couldn't sense that Palpatine was a Sith Lord because the dark side "clouds" their perception of something, right? And that was despite the Sith Lord being, literally, at arms length at numerous instances.

So if this gaggle of Jedis can't get that right, why should anyone put any sort of weight into the prophecy at all?

Because the council is only ran by 2 people

Ishida

Banned

Well, even Yoda say that they may have misread the prophecy. The Jedi were not the ultra wise know-it-alls that they thought themselves to be, and they realized it too late.

Only Qui-Gon put weight behind the prophecy, and Dooku thought he could turn him to his cause.

I've mentioned elsewhere before, but the Jedi as we knew them in the PT are ignorant traditionalists who were full of themselves. That's why they fell, a combination of pride and refusing to let go of their old ways. Not because Palpatine was all powerful, but because their comfort in society made their abilities dull. They failed Anakin, and Sheev was able to seduce him to his side.

If Anakin was the one to bring balance to the force, he accomplished it by destroying the majority of the Jedi-Balance WAS achieved, just not the balance the Jedi thought was to be. Now there's only a few Sith, and a few Jedi, that is Snoke and Ren, Luke and Rey. Maybe Finn, but he's probably a red herring.

So in a way the prophecy came to pass, just not the way the Jedi thought.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yes, I agree, and I'm saying Rey shows a surprising amount of control over something she knows next to nothing about.

But she knows. It's true. All of it.

Plus being in survival mode for most of her life has made her much more in control of herself. As I said, when your life is at stake you have no time to doubt, you use whatever might save you.

Uh, no? How would it get ripped apart if it's so good? Real people don't judge movies based on how long its flaw list is.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear, I don't want to rip it apart. As I don't do with TFA either. I was just pointing out that applying the same level of scrutiny that TFA got would make ESB crumble too. Or most of the movies. It's not a critique of the movie it's a jab at "edgy is the new cool" people.

Zeus7

Some random girl in some random planet being a Skywalker would be forced to you, when in fact that random planet just randomly had a Millenium Falcon and it just so randomly happened to contain the last fragment of Skywalkers location found by a random pilot sent by a random Leia.

Edit:OH AND HAN SOLO JUST RANDOMLY RUNS INTO THE MILLENIUM FALCON THAT JUST HYPER DRIVED OUT OF JAKKUS ORBIT

As explained clearly in the film, Han and Chewie tracked the ship, they did not just run into it randomly after it left Jakku.

Waldini

Part of the Obi-Wan vs Anakin fight got cut. Same goes for the Windu vs Sidious fight. Thought this was well known by now?

Sidious initially decapitated all three Jedi's except Mace when the latter confronted him in the office. When they enter the office Anakin would've already arrived and he'd watch the fight between Windu and Sidious. Sidious kept "taunting" Anakin to prove that the Jedi were the true evil and how Anakin had the power to stop his wife from dying. Mace, on his turn, tried to talk Anakin out of it. Mace eventually gained the upper-hand (as described in various comics/novels) and disarmed Sidious. Anakin's mind was clouded and Sidious felt that his potential apprentice was in fear, pain and an emotional wreck. Sidious grabbed Anakin's saber and fought against Windu (who actually TRIED to kil Sidious) for a while only for him to get disarmed again. There's several shots in the movie which got switched around. You even see Sidious wielding Anakin's sabre.

As explained clearly in the film, Han and Chewie tracked the ship, they did not just run into it randomly after it left Jakku.

No, they were looking for the ship, searching for it in different sectors(Thus Hans comment to Chewie that they should've checked the Western Sector, if they were tracking it they would've gotten it long ago. Unless the Falcon has an Onstar GPS system that only works while it's on).

That, and even if they were tracking it, Rey and Finn ended up about 1-2 minutes away from their salvage ship when they activated their hyper drive. Which would rocket them light years away from their current position, so the drive was stopped coincidentally close to Hans Salvage ship.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Ha ha ha ha! Okay sorry. Here it is.

During the scene when Anakin is choking Obi Wan, the lightsaber that Obi Wan is holding in his hand changes from his own, to Anakin's.

Obi Wan's.
ckpa3Na.jpg

Obi Wan's.
PQaptrb.jpg

Anakin's.
juHyEHl.jpg

Anakin's.
IqbL7c9.jpg

People noticed this when the film came out, it's because they shot footage of them disarming each other and having to grab each other's sabers, but in editing George cut it together differently, the final scene is cobbled together from different segments of a longer scene.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I know you're joking, but I'm laugh my goddamn ass off in the theatre if they somehow retcon that into making it the case.

Well, they have a link to the past, to say so, don't they?

On a more serious tone (Star Wars is a very serious thing), Rey being a random could work very well. It could be the Force balancing itself, like it did with Anakin.

Also seeing how Anakin, Luke, Kylo are all similar in their spoiled brat characters as teens and how Rey's character is, she doesn't act like a Skywalker. Actually she is very much a Kenobi like character. That's why so many people (me included) could see her as a Kenobi.

But random works too. Random at least skips the issue of explaining the awful parenting.

No, they were looking for the ship, searching for it in different sectors(Thus Hans comment to Chewie that they should've checked the Western Sector, if they were tracking it they would've gotten it long ago. Unless the Falcon has an Onstar GPS system that only works while it's on).

That, and even if they were tracking it, Rey and Finn ended up about 1-2 minutes away from their salvage ship when they activated their hyper drive. Which would rocket them light years away from their current position, so the drive was stopped coincidentally close to Hans Salvage ship.

Han says at one point "If we were able to track you, the First Order definitely can" or something to that effect.

I think once the Falcon activated, it probably sent out a beacon that Han's ship was constantly listening for. Rey says the Falcon hasn't flown in years, so it is conceivable that the beacon was not transmitting for some time and Han was unable to find it until it was flying again.

MMarston

Well, they have a link to the past, to say so, don't they?

On a more serious tone (Star Wars is a very serious thing), Rey being a random could work very well. It could be the Force balancing itself, like it did with Anakin.

Also seeing how Anakin, Luke, Kylo are all similar in their spoiled brat characters as teens and how Rey's character is, she doesn't act like a Skywalker. Actually she is very much a Kenobi like character. That's why so many people (me included) could see her as a Kenobi.

But random works too. Random at least skips the issue of explaining the awful parenting.

On that note, this is why I also think exploring what it means to be a Skywalker, the lineage of the name, and its possible extinction could make for a great core plot point in later films (also, The Last Skywalker would be a great subtitle for IX)

I've mentioned this again and again, but it really is interesting if Rey, a complete random, inherits the Skywalker name. Thus, it not only ensures a legacy, but one that goes beyond a specific heritage and the "power" associated with that. Basically, an "anyone can be a hero" moral.

Han says at one point "If we were able to track you, the First Order definitely can" or something to that effect.

I think once the Falcon activated, it probably sent out a beacon that Han's ship was constantly listening for. Rey says the Falcon hasn't flown in years, so it is conceivable that the beacon was not transmitting for some time and Han was unable to find it until it was flying again.

The ship had to get on Jakku somehow

It had a limiter applied to it for some reason

If what you say is true, then the Falcon would've been tracked to the Western sector long ago in order to be transported there. Heck, even Han is wrong seeing as the only reason the First Order finds them post-escape is because there's an agent in Maz's temple who let them know, meaning that the Falcon wasn't tracked at all.

It's all a plot-contrived coincidence to move the story forward.

If what you say is true, then the Falcon would've been tracked to the Western sector long ago in order to be transported there. Heck, even Han is wrong seeing as the only reason the First Order finds them post-escape is because there's an agent in Maz's temple who let them know, meaning that the Falcon wasn't tracked at all.

The whole exchange gave me the impression that the reason they hadn't actually found the Falcon was them never actually searching within the Western Sector until then, while the beacon signal was not galaxy-wide.

The coincidence was not Han being on the same space the Falcon jumped onto, but Han being on the Western Sector when Rey activated the ship.

... I have no idea how big this Western Sector supposedly is, though. And how does "West" work in a galaxy, exactly?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Maybe Han was still trying to be a family man when that happened.

Arthea

I watched TFA three times now, there is no Obi Wan in Rey's flashback, not even a voice. I'm not sure where people were getting this notion.

I watched TFA three times now, there is no Obi Wan in Rey's flashback, not even a voice. I'm not sure where people were getting this notion.

I heard him even during my first viewing.

You can first hear Alec Guiness saying "Rey". Then, as the vision fades, you hear Ewan McGegor saying "These are your first steps".

It's there, it's been confirmed by the director himself.

Fliesen

People noticed this when the film came out, it's because they shot footage of them disarming each other and having to grab each other's sabers, but in editing George cut it together differently, the final scene is cobbled together from different segments of a longer scene.

you're saying that the fight was meant to be even longer?! ...

Arthea

I heard him even during my first viewing.

You can first hear Alec Guiness saying "Rey". Then, as the vision fades, you hear Ewan McGegor saying "These are your first steps".

It's there, it's been confirmed by the director himself.

IDK, or sound was horrible, and didn't seem to be that bad, or there was no such text in that flashback at all.
But if it was confirmed to be there, the hell is wrong with sound during that flashback?

JJ Abrams seems to think otherwise.. not sure where he gets it from though:

I feel robbed!

edited: seriously, it's not some unimportant thing, how they could make it impossible to hear? Or is it some plot to make us go to see the movie again and again?

FeD.nL

JJ Abrams seems to think otherwise.. not sure where he gets it from though:
And within this, we hear at least two familiar voices: Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda. On Saturday night, I interviewed director J.J. Abrams and his co-screenwriters Lawrence Kasdan and Michael Arndt after a Writers Guild of America screening, and they revealed how – and why – that scene came together the way it did.

Abrams also confirmed that some iconic actors reprised their roles: Ewan McGregor, Frank Oz… and a clever editing movie also brought the late Alec Guinness, who died in 2000 at the age of 86, back to the Star Wars universe.

“The idea of the voices was, we wanted the audience to feel – but not necessarily be presented right in your face — this idea that familiar, Force-strong voices were connecting with her. At least as well as they could,” Abrams says.

IDK, or sound was horrible, and didn't seem to be that bad, or there was no such text in that flashback at all.
But if it was confirmed to be there, the hell is wrong with sound during that flashback?

I feel robbed!

Definitely not the movie's fault, I heard it clear as day during my viewings. Hell, they even had it subtitled here, so I definitely know it's there. :p

Fliesen

edited: seriously, it's not some unimportant thing, how they could make it impossible to hear? Or is it some plot to make us go to see the movie again and again?

yeah, dude. It's either your theatre or your ears. It was perfectly audible during the 6 times i went.

It's explained how the Falcon got on Jakku

But it's not explained how Finn and Rey managed to stop the hyperdrive right next to Hans salvage ship

It's a coincidence @_@

They didn't. It took time for them to repair. In that time the Falcon showed up on Han's radar. Also pretty sure they never hyperdrived and Han's ship came to them. Finn was freaking out about needing to get out of dodge but Rey saying shit was broken. Might be wronv there and that they hyperdrived a bit before everything fell apart but I don't think so.

This becomes a semi-important plot point as it was the ease in which Han picked up the Falcon on his scanners that leads him to take them to Maz because he knows the FO will be able to track the Falcon just as easily as he did.

That's why he says that. He knows the guys he was escaping from will report to the FO (because thhe baddies essentially say as much) that they're on the Falcon and he knows that now that the FO knows to look for the Falcon that it is easy to track because he had just done it so easily.

Chuckie

Not the very next scene. Not fast enough to be a reference.

She is the first person you see though. I've always thought they were referring to her.

Who else would they refer to? Yoda confirms it a movie later by saying: There is another Skywalker and Luke is telling the Force is strong in his family, my Father, me, my sister.

There is no way 'the other' Yoda speaks off is anyone other than Leia.

Top Bottom