• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Did anyone else think to themselves during the Finn/Kylo duel how we've been lied to for years about how a novice without the force would inevitably cut off their own limbs if they tried to use a lightsaber?

It's possible to wield a blade without touching the blade to yourself. Fanboys are just daydreamers.

-griffy-

Banned
Did anyone else think to themselves during the Finn/Kylo duel how we've been lied to for years about how a novice without the force would inevitably cut off their own limbs if they tried to use a lightsaber?

This seems like some idea from the old EU that stuck around that was never actually something supported by the films themselves.

Not really. Don't spin it around like an idiot and it seems pretty likely that a novice could use one without cutting their limbs off.

Sephzilla

tumblr_lydh5a5KYI1qc823io1_500.jpg

guek

Banned
It's possible to wield a blade without touching the blade to yourself. Fanboys are just daydreamers.

This seems like some idea from the old EU that stuck around that was never actually something supported by the films themselves.

Not really. Don't spin it around like an idiot and it seems feasible that a novice could use one without cutting their limbs off.

Yeah I'm joking, guys :p

It's just something that's been repeated for years

Zabka

You'll shoot your eye out, kid

Can anyone explain to me why internetwolf is messaging me, saying I'm "fishy"? Is this normal for him/her?

Private Message: painful
internetwolf
(Today, 03:17 PM)
Fwd
painful
you are so painfully fishy

I've only ever seen 'em in this thread, idk if that is a norm or something.

Jasoneyu

Don't forget Finn was a highly trained storm trooper with top marks - he was also trained to use the stun baton used in the awakens so he should be pretty good with the sabre.

Snake

Something occurred to me last night. Leia is a Princess because her [adopted] mother was a Queen. So when little baby Ben Solo/Organa was born, was he ever considered some sort of royalty himself?

(Then as I was posting this I remembered that since Alderaan was destroyed, maybe there wouldn't be anyone around who would care)

Fuchsdh

I ended up liking Finn more than Rey and both of them more than Kylo.

speaking of Star Was 09, I was a bit shocked when I realized I liked it a smidge more than TFA

Finn is the only character who actually got a decent arc in this film (guy does bad stuff, has second thoughts, fights against his former allies, finds himself). Rey's arc I guess could be "gave up on her past life" and "let the Force in", but there's not much there. I think she's at some point on the parabola so we'll see where she ends up.

Speaking of which, anyone feel like enlightening me on what the First Order Stormtrooper policy is? At first I thought Finn was just one of a bunch of varied clones, but then he has a line that makes it sound like he was basically taken as a young kid.

Something occurred to me last night. Leia is a Princess because her [adopted] mother was a Queen. So when little baby Ben Solo/Organa was born, was he ever considered some sort of royalty himself?

(Then as I was posting this I remembered that since Alderaan was destroyed, maybe there wouldn't be anyone around who would care)

Basically, Kylo is trying to secure his rights to the throne by going after Luke. Game of Deathstars, man.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I never paid particular close attention to it, but I do remember:

a) Han taking off his snow jacket and throwing it down in the elevator
b) Chewie picking it back up before they leave with Rey and giving it back to Han
c) Rey has Finn's jacket when they enter the oscillator and pull out the power converter to open up the doors for Han and Chewie, and when they go up the ladder to the top floor
d) During the Kylo and Han scene, Finn has the jacket again (I think?) which he keeps through the rest of the movie
yeah :) I'm not sure about D actually, I can't remember if he's wearing it or not in the outside lightsaber fight sequence.

B was pitch-perfect with reference to the "Oh really, you're cold?" quip a few minutes earlier, and C was just a cute little touch <3

Finn is the only character who actually got a decent arc in this film (guy does bad stuff, has second thoughts, fights against his former allies, finds himself). Rey's arc I guess could be "gave up on her past life" and "let the Force in", but there's not much there. I think she's at some point on the parabola so we'll see where she ends up.

Speaking of which, anyone feel like enlightening me on what the First Order Stormtrooper policy is? At first I thought Finn was just one of a bunch of varied clones, but then he has a line that makes it sound like he was basically taken as a young kid.

They talk about this in the movie (Kylo was saying if Hux's troops can't be trusted then why dont they go back to clone troopers?)

After Episode III the Empire began using human troops alongside clone troopers (or they always did). Brainwashed from childhood.

They abduct children when they're very young, train them and feed them with First Order propaganda. The attack on Jakku is Finn's first real battle. They use simulations for training.

They talk about this in the movie.

After Episode III the Empire began using human troops alongside clone troopers (or they always did). Brainwashed from childhood.

The Empire didn't conscript children. They just conscripted through Imperial academy, like a typical military.

The whole brainwashing and training children from birth began with The First Order, shortly after RotJ.

Fuchsdh

They talk about this in the movie (Kylo was saying if Hux's troops can't be trusted then why dont they go back to clone troopers?)

Ah okay, missed that. Only bit I knew about the clone stuff was Ep II and then Battlefront II saying that they stopped using the same genetic template (dunno how canon that was at the time.)

Why are so many fan artists drawing Poe as a white dude?

He basically is? His mom is Guatemalan and French, his dad is Cuban. From the movies I've seen him in he's basically played "Mediterranean". He's basically as non-white as a Greek guy*&#8212;which he played in The Two Faces of January in which he was solid, and convinced my Greek uncle he was a native. *shrug*

*This isn't getting into the rat's nest of Hispanic/Latino nomenclature and identification.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I want Han to show up in a Flashback

I believe it can happen

With younger Ben

yeah :) I'm not sure about D actually, I can't remember if he's wearing it or not in the outside lightsaber fight sequence.

B was pitch-perfect with reference to the "Oh really, you're cold?" quip a few minutes earlier, and C was just a cute little touch <3

Just double-checked and he is definitely wearing it when they watch the scene. He also continues to have it during the fight.

Showing these gifts together just highlights how much better the direction in TFA was compared to the prequel films.

I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that the forest was CGI, but it still follows the principle of "less is more" and contributed to a more atmospheric, compelling setting.

It's a soundstage

prag16

Banned
The Obi-Wan/Vader duel was always going to be in a volcanic environment ever since the 80s. That wasn't going to change.

This. That post is just more prequel shitting for the sake of it.

We get it guys. The prequels were disappointments. Let's move on with life.

Kylo is the Prince of the Saiyans!

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris

The behind the scenes stuff is what im most looking forward to, I hope its meaty, they clearly shot ALOT of footage of it, whether that comes out in blu-ray, special edition or whatever I dont know.

Top Bottom