• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Brakke

Banned
Kylo is a Skywalker tho. And so was Vader. Vader's ultimate goal wasn't turning a Skywalker -- he didn't even know Luke existed until Empire. He wanted to overthrow the Emperor and rule with his son. A Kylo-Rey relationship doesn't resemble the Vader-Luke relationship.

Aselith

I saw a Star Wars laptop at Walmart tonight that looks really cool.

12534262_1534778123487943_2140663143_n.jpg

12531121_1674510559454286_693472040_n.jpg

I,for one, welcome our Star Wars based economy.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Ha. I didn't like the bird either. It looked incredibly goofy and out of place to me, so much so that I just assumed it was bad CGI.

If it was actually a puppet, that's well, whatever. Not a big deal to me either way. Not going to personally give this one any medals for alleged "world building" though.

It's weird that people assumed it was CG. It looked like an old Disneyland ride animatronic, but didn't really bother me.

Chuckie

It's weird that people assumed it was CG. It looked like an old Disneyland ride animatronic, but didn't really bother me.

It didn't bother me either. What did 'bother' me was that Alien head sticking out of the sand, with glowing eyes. I think it is when BB-8 rolls away into the night.

JimiNutz

Banned
I thought I read somewhere that they did a lot more in that scene but it was cut. Maybe it will appear as a deleted scene when it hits video.

We don't ever see them die do we? I know they showed the rest of the crew getting killed but don't recall either of The Raid guys biting the bullet.
I actually thought they were cast too late for Episode VII and were going to be in Episode VIII more. Hopefully they return with a substantially bigger role in VIII. Will be disappointed if we don't ever see then weilding lightsabers though...

TheWraith

We don't ever see them die do we? I know they showed the rest of the crew getting killed but don't recall either of The Raid guys biting the bullet.
I actually thought they were cast too late for Episode VII and were going to be in Episode VII more. Hopefully they return with a substantially bigger role in VII. Will be disappointed if we don't ever see then weilding lightsabers though...

In the unlikely event they would return, you do know they won't have lightsabers as they aren't Jedi at all...

This ties into my theory that:

Rey is Luke's daughter - and Kylo is aware of this (there is no reason for him to explicitly state it in the film) - that is why when he is informed of BB-8 escaping, he slashes up some computers, but when he hears "a girl was with them" he force chokes the dude across a room.

*shrug*

He was already pissed off that his teams kept handing him bad news about how they were having a hard time finding the droid, and how the pursuit kept becoming more complicated. Adding another variable into that equation, especially when he'd just made a snide remark about not wanting any more bad news ("Anything else?"), wouldn't have done well with his temper, whether he knows Rey or not.

Add to this him seeming very surprised when Rey force resists him, and giving no other sign that he's especially interested in Rey until she finds out she's seen the map, and I'm not sure we have enough info to deduce a preexisting connection.

Also, in a universe where the events of Star Wars happen, why would he be angry/shocked/alarmed/surprised to find out that the Force-sensitive cousin he left on Jakku was involved in the escape of a fugitive who was on Jakku? Or, alternatively, if he didn't even know she was on Jakku, why would he immediately be concerned that the girl = her?

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
God damn that soundtrack, never have i been so wrong about a score, hated it at first but now its stunning.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
It really gets better the more you listen to it.

I'll layer on top of that: it gets better the more you watch the movie. Once you can link the musical beats to story/emotional beats, it really sinks its teeth into you in an awesome way.

Exactly, its understated in the film but thats the intention, it is also almost entirely new seamlessly verve's in and out of the original tunes which is incredible, the man is an absolute genius.

It really does. The score didn't jump out on my first watch (or two) of TFA, but on repeat viewings, it's grown to be among the best in the series. It's a remarkable tapestry of the new themes and older cues woven in.
Yup. I know the theme is an old one,but when I heard Han and Leia's theme play for the first time when I saw the film,I just got hit with emotion lol.

Snake

During my first viewing, the score was a sore disappointment. The weakest aspect of the movie by far. And I kept getting Harry Potter vibes throughout, which gave the film a strange tone at times.

After my second viewing, the score stood out a lot more in a positive way. Only a couple scenes let me down music-wise. Now I could barely hear the Harry Potter-isms.

Now after re-listening to the entire saga's soundtrack, I can appreciate the high points of TFA's score as well as see that the low points are there in the other films as well. However, no matter how much I might like it on its own merits, TFA still doesn't even begin to approach the genuine greatness that the OT has within its score. The prequels fail this test as well, but add in their own major missteps. Good themes like Duel of the Fates get abused and are rendered bad by the time Episode III has played it out. And while fans often say Across the Stars is one of the best pieces of music in the saga, I disagree completely. I can't separate it from everything that's wrong about Attack of the Clones' tone.

Right now I'd rank them (from best to worst) ESB -> ANH -> ROTJ -> TFA -> TPM -> ROTS -> AOTC

I could possibly be convinced that TPM deserves a higher spot than TFA, but that's the only change I could see happening.

Okay, I'm a little late watching this, but I just saw the Rebels Mid-Season 2 trailer and saw that Ezra has a lightsaber with a cross-guard like Kylo Ren. I'm sure someone at some point brought this up, but what if Snoke is Ezra? The only reason I don't think it'd be a possibility is, while Rebels is quite popular, not enough people watch the show for audiences en masse to "get it" if such a revelation were to happen.

GhaleonEB

Okay, I'm a little late watching this, but I just saw the Rebels Mid-Season 2 trailer and saw that Ezra has a lightsaber with a cross-guard like Kylo Ren. I'm sure someone at some point brought this up, but what if Snoke is Ezra? The only reason I don't think it'd be a possibility is, while Rebels is quite popular, not enough people watch the show for audiences en masse to "get it" if such a revelation were to happen.

FWIW - the cross guard is less that and more vents for excess energy from the blade. Ren couldn't build a stable / correct blade, so the vents were a hack to make it not overheat.

Surfinn

It really does. The score didn't jump out on my first watch (or two) of TFA, but on repeat viewings, it's grown to be among the best in the series. It's a remarkable tapestry of the new themes and older cues woven in.

I honestly would put March of the Resistance with some of the best stuff JW has done. It's a fantastic track. And Finn's Confession is one of my favorites too.

The score grows on you like crazy.

TyrantII

Man, guess I really need to sit down and listen to the score. It felt really underwhelming in theatres.

I thought the same thing, but after listening to it a few times on YouTube I'm hoping to see a complete extended soundtrack. I don't think SW usually releases those though. Disney sure doesnt. It is really good.

The music cut together in the trailer gets me every time as well. They did an awesome remixing of Williams cues.

Also, guys seen this derivative work? Them feels!

https://youtu.be/IClVU7q66Cs

Mr Cola

There were more vfx shots in tfa than phantom menace

GhaleonEB

There were more vfx shots in tfa than phantom menace

Which, while interesting, is not really meaningful in isolation. It's more about the decisions they made about what is CG vs. practical effects/sets.

Phantom Menace actually made extensive use of miniatures, an approach that was largely abandoned for the PT sequels. TFA did a lot more partial sets, with CG extensions vs. pure green screen.

-griffy-

Banned
Which, while interesting, is not really meaningful in isolation. It's more about the decisions they made about what is CG vs. practical effects/sets.

Phantom Menace actually made extensive use of miniatures, an approach that was largely abandoned for the PT sequels. TFA did a lot more partial sets, with CG extensions vs. pure green screen.

Also, stuff like painting out the puppeteers/rigging for BB-8 would count as a VFX shot.

Also, stuff like painting out the puppeteers/rigging for BB-8 would count as a VFX shot.

I'm sure technically, there's more CG in TFA then there is say, Sin City. But when people talk about CG(Or atleast me), we don't mean the 'digitally removing strings/mistakes'. Like, most of the PT was hugely CG. No sets, little special effects, mostly visual effects through green screen.

-griffy-

Banned
I'm sure technically, there's more CG in TFA then there is say, Sin City. But when people talk about CG(Or atleast me), we don't mean the 'digitally removing strings/mistakes'. Like, most of the PT was hugely CG. No sets, little special effects, mostly visual effects through green screen.

You may not count that stuff as a VFX shot, but that stuff is a VFX shot. A visual effect is not just a CG element rendered in 3D, but any digital manipulation of the image beyond what was captured in camera. The miniature shots from Phantom Menace are visual effects shots, since they are doing digital extensions and compositing other elements on top and adding actors/vehicles on top. So when you look at a number like 2100 VFX shots for TFA, and 1900 for Phantom Menace, it includes ALL that stuff.

For comparison: Revenge of the Sith had 2151, Age of Ultron had around 3000, Winter Soldier 2500, and Guardians of the Galaxy 2750.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I went to see Star Wars tonight. It was my first time. I enjoyed the cast a lot. Rey was fantastic. I enjoy that they made her have an attitude without meaninglessly caring. She has spunk to her. I thought Finn was great and it left off on a great note (that sounds bad, but Finn being hurt gives him a lot of feels when he comes back). Some of the film carried itself quite well. The plot wasn't confusing except I have no freaking idea who this hologrammed figure, Snoke and his grand scheme.

I really enjoyed Kylo Ren. He's emotionally destroyed by a man he doesn't really know and he's also kinda pathetic for what he did. Kylo Ren is strong in my opinon because he looks good at being strong and it was awesome seeing how he sorta brought people to their knees. I think Adam Driver does such an awesome job at the role. Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill were great, but episode 8 and 9 might be better for both characters. Captain Phasma is neat and I have her Pop, but she barely makes an appearance.

I felt like there was a lot of emotions in a few scenes. My absolute favorite scene was when Rey grabbed Luke's lightsaber and the image came into her head of Luke and R2D2. That was good. It felt like they captured the essence of Luke when he was in absolute power. Well, not really, but I enjoyed Dark Empire and seeing Luke sorta rise up out of nowhere. This depiction was short, much like the Dark Empire metal cards I use to own with his picture on them. My other favorite scene was when Kylo Ren was going after Rey and he just appears down a trail. I thought Kylo was pretty cool. The movie made people look good versus building upon something huge. They may have given Kylo too many emotions in this film, but he is strong. I just hope we haven't seen his true potential.

These were the cards:
s-l300.jpg

watershed

Banned
Man, guess I really need to sit down and listen to the score. It felt really underwhelming in theatres.

The more time you spend with the score the more you will appreciate it. Rey's theme is fantastic and runs through pretty much all the major moments of the film. The Resistance March is great both as an accompaniment to some action scenes and as a theme. And, at least for me, Kylo Ren's theme with blaring trumpets was jaw dropping in theaters. It's so clear and powerful.

You may not count that stuff as a VFX shot, but that stuff is a VFX shot. A visual effect is not just a CG element rendered in 3D, but any digital manipulation of the image beyond what was captured in camera. The miniature shots from Phantom Menace are visual effects shots, since they are doing digital extensions and compositing other elements on top and adding actors/vehicles on top. So when you look at a number like 2100 VFX shots for TFA, and 1900 for Phantom Menace, it includes ALL that stuff.

For comparison: Revenge of the Sith had 2151, Age of Ultron had around 3000, Winter Soldier 2500, and Guardians of the Galaxy 2750.

Like I said

There's a huge difference between AotC and RotS being mostly green screened, and TFA having practical sets, that saying 'Well TFA had more CG effects by the number' is simply nitpicking.

Yes, I know what you're saying. I also know what I'm saying. No, I'm not mincing my words for you to 'need' to correct me.

Top Bottom