• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

injurai

Banned
Like I said

There's a huge difference between AotC and RotS being mostly green screened, and TFA having practical sets, that saying 'Well TFA had more CG effects by the number' is simply nitpicking.

Yes, I know what you're saying. I also know what I'm saying. No, I'm not mincing my words for you to 'need' to correct me.

Yeah. TFA could be selective. It knew where to use what. CGI has also improved massively. The PT movie's abused CGI when it shouldn't have been used.

Wow. I wonder if Guinness is spinning in his grave considering how much he grew to hate Star Wars.

He didn't really hate it, though, did he? I recall reading he just disliked being associated with the Obi-Wan character for so long.

On a semi-related note, I was talking to a friend who recently watched all six Star Wars movies for the first time, because of the hype for Episode VII. He watched them in numerical order, not release like I suggested. Somehow, he really disliked Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan, going so far as to call him the worst character in all six movies. Then he says Darth Vader just wasn't a very interesting character in the OT, and he really couldn't stand him.

xl3hnac5geym.gif

Another friend of mine, with whom I watched the movies together (in chronological release order) was completely the opposite, saying Darth Vader was a really cool villain and a really menacing on-screen presence. I wonder if it has anything to do with the order in which the movies are viewed, or if it's completely a matter of different sensibilities.

I guess there really is no accounting for taste.

Real Hero

I don't like dislike Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan but i don't think he's that great in those films either. I think he gets there in Sith but he's not much better than everyone else in PT and ATOC

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Has anyone had the chance to watch a certain fanedit of the prequels called The Blackened Mantle?

Saw it this week after seeing TFA because I was in the mood for more starwars, and it's really quite interesting. The narrative style is completely different from what's dictated by the SW formula, and certain concessions had to be made to allow for such drastic changes in the script, but the end result is fascinating and most changes are for the better in my opinion (provided you're willing to overlook the concessions of course).

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I don't like dislike Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan but i don't think he's that great in those films either. I think he gets there in Sith but he's not much better than everyone else in PT and ATOC

I agree frankly, but Ewan is a really good actor so I dont blame him as much, he was hamstrung by the dialogue and told to deliver it a certain way.

I think under different direction he would be an incredible Obi Wan in future films if they go that route.

Wrynnax

One of the biggest disappointments for me was Abrams casting these guys and using them as some crappy mercenaries that likely got killed off immediately. I thought they would have used some level of fight choreography with the Knights of Ren or whatever.
Man...that fight just keeps going...hoping they do something in the next one with them. There's always the shot with the Knights in the rain that hasn't been explained yet, I think?

Fencedude

You may not count that stuff as a VFX shot, but that stuff is a VFX shot. A visual effect is not just a CG element rendered in 3D, but any digital manipulation of the image beyond what was captured in camera. The miniature shots from Phantom Menace are visual effects shots, since they are doing digital extensions and compositing other elements on top and adding actors/vehicles on top. So when you look at a number like 2100 VFX shots for TFA, and 1900 for Phantom Menace, it includes ALL that stuff.

For comparison: Revenge of the Sith had 2151, Age of Ultron had around 3000, Winter Soldier 2500, and Guardians of the Galaxy 2750.

What fucking difference does it make?

Like, who cares what the total number is?

Shaanyboi

Banned
He didn't really hate it, though, did he? I recall reading he just disliked being associated with the Obi-Wan character for so long.

On a semi-related note, I was talking to a friend who recently watched all six Star Wars movies for the first time, because of the hype for Episode VII. He watched them in numerical order, not release like I suggested. Somehow, he really disliked Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan, going so far as to call him the worst character in all six movies. Then he says Darth Vader just wasn't a very interesting character in the OT, and he really couldn't stand him.

xl3hnac5geym.gif

Another friend of mine, with whom I watched the movies together (in chronological release order) was completely the opposite, saying Darth Vader was a really cool villain and a really menacing on-screen presence. I wonder if it has anything to do with the order in which the movies are viewed, or if it's completely a matter of different sensibilities.

I guess there really is no accounting for taste.

Well clearly Vader just isn't as cool as Greivous. I mean he had four lightsabers! Vader just had one!
/s

Friend just saw the originals for the first time. She'd seen bits of the prequels over the years and thought they (and Star Wars as a whole) was super dumb, but she ended up really enjoying the movies. Also she was left dumbstruck at Vader saving Luke. It was like a huge "HOLY SHIT" moment for her. We all got a kick out of her reaction lol

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I love that Kylo is causing discussion. I'm just sad that so many people seem to have missed the point of his character, though.

He was a psychologically broken wannabe. It was fascinating, because we've not seen a Star Wars villain so off balance before. And that's really the best way I can describe Kylo in TFA; off balance. He was constantly being caught between two core ideals, and he was barely treading water. His struggle was written on his face and in his voice.

A moment I actually didn't think too much about but enjoyed in my third viewing was when Kylo was interrogating Max Von Sydow, and before he kills him, Sydow says, "You can't deny the truth that is your family," and Kylo says, "You're so right," or something to that effect, then kills him. Aside from the obvious extra foreshadowing that his family is important, I like that Kylo's response is so glib. Sydow obviously means he can't deny the truth that his parents are Han and Leia, and Kylo means that he can't deny the truth that his grandfather was Darth fucking Vader. I just found it an amusing moment for him.

Disgraced

Just got back from my third viewing. The magic spell still hasn't worn off so I'm not exactly critically thinking—nevertheless here are my newest layman's observances:
  • Am I slow and it's obvious one way or are they foreshadowing Rey building herself a saberstaff? Because that would be gnarly.
  • Okay, I actually started putting this one together after my second viewing and listening to some spoilercasts and reading discussion—but it would be cool if the "twist" of this trilogy is a Fifth Element type deal, where love, or embracing love rather is where the Jedi code is wrong and where the old orders have gone wrong. The prequel era Jedi were arrogant and as reclusive-ish monks they rejected the idea of a relationship and presumably suppressed any feelings they as sentient beings that need to reproduce more than likely had.

What if Rey and Finn having a trusting romance attuned with the Force is part of bringing balance to it? Sure, it's hokey, but this is Star Wars we're talking about. Of course there's the if that Luke's Rey's father. Yet, maybe if he is or maybe if he's not—either way—maybe love, allowing it, having it, and maintaining a relationship is part of where he screwed up too, if that makes any sense. Maybe part of Ben Solo's descent to the Dark involved Luke disapproving/disallowing a relationship in the same way of his gramps and Padme?

This may not be an entirely original theory or a good one but it has been boiling in me for a while.
  • I was able to make out Ewan's "These are the first steps, Rey," in the flashback. I hope she's a Kenobi. It would be even fuckin' sicker though if they throw a curveball and she's a Palpatine that Sheev didn't want and dumped her on Jakku as I heard Rocco suggest on the Mega64 podcast lol.
  • To an extent I agree with the criticism that there isn't enough original or legacy Star Wars material—there's too many X-Wings and standard TIE Fighters, but there's Leia's ship and Kylo Ren's ship, which is sort a variant of the Emperor's ship/Imperial transporter, and there's a lot of other cool 'EU' nods elsewhere. There could absolutely be some more inspiration, but from everything that's been said so far about the pre-production of Episode 8 I think they're taking that criticism to heart.

Surfinn

Sorry if it's been mentioned but I noticed the Force Theme (Luke's) and Rey's Theme were beautifully intertwined at the end of the movie on Friday. That's gotta be a clear as day indication of their relation to each other.. got goosebumps in the theater.

Toxi

Banned
Okay, I actually started putting this one together after my second viewing and listening to some spoilercasts and reading discussion—but it would be cool if the "twist" of this trilogy is a Fifth Element type deal, where love, or embracing love rather is where the Jedi code is wrong and where the old orders have gone wrong. The prequel era Jedi were arrogant and as reclusive-ish monks they rejected the idea of a relationship and presumably suppressed any feelings they as sentient beings that need to reproduce more than likely had.

What if Rey and Finn having a trusting romance attuned with the Force is part of bringing balance to it? Sure, it's hokey, but this is Star Wars we're talking about. Of course there's the if that Luke's Rey's father. Yet, maybe if he is or maybe if he's not—either way—maybe love, allowing it, having it, and maintaining a relationship is part of where he screwed up too, if that makes any sense. Maybe part of Ben Solo's descent to the Dark involved Luke disapproving/disallowing a relationship in the same way of his gramps and Padme?
Didn't this already happen with Luke choosing to try and find good in Vader even after his masters told him it was pointless?

In Phantom Menace he is is way lesser than what we expect of Obi Wan meeting Anakin for the first time hinted in A New Hope. Disappointment that Qui Gon replaced Anakin's role in the movie.

In Attack of the Clowns, he is whiny and always nagging Anakin. There is not one moment that we think they even like each other at all. Failure to demonstrate the bonding friendship hinted in A New Hope

Revenge of the Sith: Okay, finally a little bit of friendship bonding (a lttiel bit) between Anakin and Obi Wan but the movie's story goes into a Double Play by separating the two characters by sending one alone onto another system while Anakin stays home.

KHlover

Banned
In Phantom Menace he is is way lesser than what we expect of Obi Wan meeting Anakin for the first time hinted in A New Hope. Disappointment that Qui Gon replaced Anakin's role in the movie.

In Attack of the Clowns, he is whiny and always nagging Anakin. There is not one moment that we think they even like each other at all. Failure to demonstrate the bonding friendship hinted in A New Hope

Revenge of the Sith: Okay, finally a little bit of friendship bonding (a lttiel bit) between Anakin and Obi Wan but the movie's story goes into a Double Play by separating the two characters by sending one alone onto another system while Anakin stays home.

Yeah Anakin and Obi Wan's relationship is really botched in the movies. Thank god for Clone Wars portraying them as intended.

Do you guys think the clone wars was a secret apology by george?
He put a lot of money in the show, you can see the budget differences between rebels and the clone wars.

Disgraced

Didn't this already happen with Luke choosing to try and find good in Vader even after his masters told him it was pointless?
Yes! I didn't consider that angle. That would make my theory more consistent, right? :D (Still probably wrong, but more consistent) Luke regressing along with becoming complacent as the old Jedi order did would be another fitting motive for his self-exile to the ancient Jedi temple. It makes sense for him to go there to get in touch with the primal, barebone-basics, to restart not from what the old screw-ups that are Yoda and Obi-wan taught him in haste, but from where the Jedi ideology concerning the Force began. He's there trying to pick up the pieces, trying to really understand the Force, and probably needs help because he still can't figure it out and isn't sure of himself after the ruin of his new Jedi.

It would be very consistent if not logical (but again, who gives a shit, it's Star Wars), that truly bringing balance to he Force that's been so tragically misunderstood up to this point involves closing your eyes and embracing what you feel, not what you think. The solution is embracing the idea of your instincts, and the magic bullshit that is love, and not any dusty manuscripts Luke's dug up at the old Jedi temple.

Oidisco

I'm playing Kotor 2 and I've decided I want a game based on the Knights of Ren that's done in a similar style to Kotor. It can be called Knights of the New Republic and everyone will be happy. I have no idea how it would work or if they make it fit into the story of the new trilogy and I really don't care, I just want it to happen.

That is my contribution to this thread today.

Hale-XF11

Finally saw it. I feel like the last person on earth (other than my wife) to see it. We were the only ones in the theater, lol.

Anyways, kinda disappointed that it didn't have any real emotional impact on me like I felt it could or should have. Certainly nowhere near the impact that the original trilogy had on me. Something about it felt rushed and forced. Some of the characters were acting like best friends after they practically just met. Kinda weird.

Lots of other thoughts, but that was my main first impression.

edit: I may or may not be jaded though.

Just got back from my third viewing. The magic spell still hasn't worn off so I'm not exactly critically thinking—nevertheless here are my newest layman's observances:
  • Am I slow and it's obvious one way or are they foreshadowing Rey building herself a saberstaff? Because that would be gnarly.
  • Okay, I actually started putting this one together after my second viewing and listening to some spoilercasts and reading discussion—but it would be cool if the "twist" of this trilogy is a Fifth Element type deal, where love, or embracing love rather is where the Jedi code is wrong and where the old orders have gone wrong. The prequel era Jedi were arrogant and as reclusive-ish monks they rejected the idea of a relationship and presumably suppressed any feelings they as sentient beings that need to reproduce more than likely had.

This may not be an entirely original theory or a good one but it has been boiling in me for a while.
  • I was able to make out Ewan's "These are the first steps, Rey," in the flashback. I hope she's a Kenobi. It would be even fuckin' sicker though if they throw a curveball and she's a Palpatine that Sheev didn't want and dumped her on Jakku as I heard Rocco suggest on the Mega64 podcast lol.
  • To an extent I agree with the criticism that there isn't enough original or legacy Star Wars material—there's too many X-Wings and standard TIE Fighters, but there's Leia's ship and Kylo Ren's ship, which is sort a variant of the Emperor's ship/Imperial transporter, and there's a lot of other cool 'EU' nods elsewhere. There could absolutely be some more inspiration, but from everything that's been said so far about the pre-production of Episode 8 I think they're taking that criticism to heart.

I so so want the reason Luke disappeared to be looking for the original Jedi teachings. To see where the old Jedi went wrong and that it's to not kill emotion in yourself but to embrace it and master it. For example: If you've mastered your emotions then having a loved one die in front of you at the villain won't turn you to the dark side.

Oidisco

Finally saw it. I feel like the last person on earth (other than my wife) to see it. We were the only ones in the theater, lol.

Anyways, kinda disappointed that it didn't have any real emotional impact on me like I felt it could or should have. Certainly nowhere near the impact that the original trilogy had on me. Something about it felt rushed and forced. Some of the characters were acting like best friends after they practically just met. Kinda weird.

Felt similarly to you the 1st time I watched it. I've seen it twice since then and it's now my favourite film in the series.

Hale-XF11

Felt similarly to you the 1st time I watched it. I've seen it twice since then and it's now my favourite film in the series.

That's cool. I didn't walk away from it feeling the urge to see it again, though I'm sure I'll see it again anyways at some point, like before the next movie comes out so I can feel refreshed. Hopefully it'll grow on me.

It's Disney! They always re-release it with 'Watch it again' commercials! They'll probably add a scene where BB8 trips over a rock or something! Then we can spend the next 5 spoiler threads dissecting that scene and it's depper meaning and whether BB8 will go darkside or not!

Disgraced

I so so want the reason Luke disappeared to be looking for the original Jedi teachings. To see where the old Jedi went wrong and that it's to not kill emotion in yourself but to embrace it and master it. For example: If you've mastered your emotions then having a loved one die in front of you at the villain won't turn you to the dark side.
Yo, it would be cool and it makes sense. Here's hoping.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It's Disney! They always re-release it with 'Watch it again' commercials! They'll probably add a scene where BB8 trips over a rock or something! Then we can spend the next 5 spoiler threads dissecting that scene and it's depper meaning and whether BB8 will go darkside or not!

When exactly have they done this before?

Paganmoon

Third viewing yesterday.

Beginning to get on the side of Rey not being Luke's daughter. I mean, she was old enough to know who her father was when she got left on Jakku. Unless she got jedimindtricked into forgetting?
Then again, she tells BB8 the first time they meet that "she's a secret as well", but that could've just been a throwaway line, or her "mocking" BB8?
But I'd like if she was Luke's daughter, so I'm hoping that's true.

Anyway, I'm still a bit confused about the exact timeline, how long ago exactly did Luke start training new Jedi, and how long ago did he disappear. At first, I figured he disappeared a few years ago, but it could be 10 years? about 15 years puts it about when Rey was left on Jakku.

Disgraced

Anyway, I'm still a bit confused about the exact timeline, how long ago exactly did Luke start training new Jedi, and how long ago did he disappear. At first, I figured he disappeared a few years ago, but it could be 10 years? about 15 years puts it about when Rey was left on Jakku.
I wouldn't think too hard about the timeline, specifically. This is a story where like twenty years is ancient because the Empire was REALLY good at burning Jedi Bibles and the vastness of galactic civilization, I guess.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

Definitely agree that the movie puts the pacing and non-stop action before everything else. It could use a little more breathing in-between all the action to let the characters reveal themselves and interact with each other. That's honestly my main complaint about the movie, even above all the rehashed elements (which at least make sense to me given the context of this release).

Still, like someone else said, it feels more natural and less overwhelming the second time around.

Hale-XF11

Definitely agree that the movie puts the pacing and non-stop action before everything else. It could use a little more breathing in-between all the action to let the characters reveal themselves and interact with each other. That's honestly my main complaint about the movie, even above all the rehashed elements (which at least make sense to me given the context of this release).

Still, like someone else said, it feels more natural and less overwhelming the second time around.

Yeah, it's the pacing that threw me off. But I can definitely picture it being less overwhelming with more views, like you're saying. It reminds of when I first saw the 3rd Pirates of the Caribbean movie. I hated it because it was such a confusing mess to me. Then I saw it a 2nd time because I wanted to confirm that I really did hate it, but then was utterly surprised to find myself loving it and able to better follow it the 2nd time around. Strange how that works.

Surfinn

Third viewing yesterday.

Beginning to get on the side of Rey not being Luke's daughter. I mean, she was old enough to know who her father was when she got left on Jakku. Unless she got jedimindtricked into forgetting?
Then again, she tells BB8 the first time they meet that "she's a secret as well", but that could've just been a throwaway line, or her "mocking" BB8?
But I'd like if she was Luke's daughter, so I'm hoping that's true.

The films ending score beautifully combines Rey and Luke's theme. To me, that's been the strongest indicator of their relationship yet. I think it's all but guaranteed she's his daughter, honestly. I don't see the main character of the trilogy not being a Skywalker, and especially not being Luke's if the episodes really are about the Skywalker family. Since she's most likely not Han and Leia's, I think there's only one other option.

Its great! really adds to the main characters backstory.

It really is. I'm currently reading Moving Target and that's been fantastic as well. Looking forward to the Luke and Han adventure books too.

Top Bottom