• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Cth

Just so you know, that site is absolutely positive about TFA not trying to tear it down. it was the Starwars7 news site.

And yes, the holochess game was activated by Finn when he sat down.

I wasn't saying that it was, just that I found some of those observations absolutely hilarious.

And yes, the chess game was seen.. but so were X-Wings, Tie Fighters, laser pistols, lightsabers..

I mean, at what point do you say something is ripping off Ep 4 and what's being universe consistent?

Case in point, the chess board.. it's on board the Falcon and established as such. If it had appeared on say the Resistance's freighter, I'd say sure.

It just makes it funny to take serious is all.

if you take the opening scroll, then watch the movie, a mountain of questions remain. if they would've answered some of these questions in the movie it would've been a better movie.

why does the support of the republic amount to a handful of x-wings?
why does the resistance carry the burden of fighting the first order?
where is the new republic? why are they seemingly uninterested/uninvolved in this conflict?
why are the resistance and the republic separate entities? wouldn't it make sense that after the fall of the empire leia would be at the top of the power structure of the republic? why isn't she?

i would've liked for the movie to explain some of these things. like i said, i've only seen it once (and i did quite like it) but just a liiiiiiiiiiiittle bit more exploration of the above questions would've been nice.

feel free to call me a dum-dum head if you think i'm wrong. :D

Totally understand this. I wanted the questions answered to, which is why I said one of my gripes was the lack of info. But it isn't a deal breaker to follow the movie.

Out of the ashes of the Empire, The First Order does bad shit to find Luke Skywalker, Resistance led by Leia is formed to battle them.

As simple as it is, it's enough info to know why people are fighting.

Sure there is a lot more info I'd like explained, and even the deleted scenes has this info(I've heard), but what is in the movie and hinted at through actions and dialogue help in getting a better understanding of it all.

But I agree with you, slightly more info would have made it a stronger movie if we knew what the Republic was about if we knew a tad more before it blew up.

Good; even for someone who hasn't seen the prequels, in the new film they've been fast-forwarded into the present-day condition of the universe and recapped "the moral lessons so far" in one film. Wasn't that the point of all the callbacks?

Yes... it was to bring the people up to date, but also if it is 30 years in the future... you have to figure that they would still be alive anyway...
It would be strange to not have any of the older character return.

Brakke

Banned
What's the cost? People were writing up stuff about how Luke Skywalker was just a terrorist because the Empire was just a bunch of normal people going about their lives and trying to be space police for years before this movie came out.

Newsflash: villains in good vs. evil tales are still human, even though they're also villains. They already unmasked Darth fucking Vader in the last film and all three of the prequels; I don't think the franchise is making any bones about this dilemma at this point.

Besides, for all we know humanizing the villains is going to leave its mark on the stories of future episodes anyway.

When Kevin Smith did it it was a joke. Everyone says "oh man I didn't think about that but there must have been contractors on the Death Star huh!" The joke is funny because during the film, nobody ever thought about contractors on the Death Star. And why would they? We never see any. In this case we know, as it happens, that we're killing innocent victims.

How many Finn-esque non-combatant First Order janitors were on the base when it blew? That's something I thought as it happened. And how couldn't I?

Totally understand this. I wanted the questions answered to, which is why I said one of my gripes was the lack of info. But it isn't a deal breaker to follow the movie.

Out of the ashes of the Empire, The First Order does bad shit to find Luke Skywalker, Resistance led by Leia is formed to battle them.

As simple as it is, it's enough info to know why people are fighting.

Sure there is a lot more info I'd like explained, and even the deleted scenes has this info(I've heard), but what is in the movie and hinted at through actions and dialogue help in getting a better understanding of it all.

But I agree with you, slightly more info would have made it a stronger movie if we knew what the Republic was about if we knew a tad more before it blew up.

I think Episode 8 will fill many plot holes that remain. I like that some things are not answered... as most of star wars lore from the fans is based on theories anyway...

When Kevin Smith did it it was a joke. Everyone says "oh man I didn't think about that but there must have been contractors on the Death Star huh!" The joke is funny because during the film, nobody ever thought about contractors on the Death Star. And why would they? We never see any. In this case we know, as it happens, that we're killing innocent victims.

How many Finn-esque non-combatant First Order janitors were on the base when it blew? That's something I thought as it happened. And how couldn't I?

There will always be civilian casualities

We see plenty of non-combatants on the Death Star.

Hell, we visit the freaking detention block, and no one seems to bat an eye at the fact that Luke and Han's cover is that they're transferring a Wookiee prisoner from another block, which means there aren't just Imperial non-combatants but actual prisoners on board as well, likely including Leia's fellow passengers from the blockade runner.

if you take the opening scroll, then watch the movie, a mountain of questions remain. if they would've answered some of these questions in the movie it would've been a better movie.

why does the support of the republic amount to a handful of x-wings?
why does the resistance carry the burden of fighting the first order?
where is the new republic? why are they seemingly uninterested/uninvolved in this conflict?
why are the resistance and the republic separate entities? wouldn't it make sense that after the fall of the empire leia would be at the top of the power structure of the republic? why isn't she?

i would've liked for the movie to explain some of these things. like i said, i've only seen it once (and i did quite like it) but just a liiiiiiiiiiiittle bit more exploration of the above questions would've been nice.

feel free to call me a dum-dum head if you think i'm wrong. :D

IMO, the answers to these just aren't important to the film. I mean, it's cool info to have, but I'm not sure I'd agree it's worth the screentime. I guess different people want and get different things from the same movie, but this movie was only 1% about the Resistance vs. First Order for me.

I thought the conflict between TFO and the Resistance, the Starkiller, etc. only served as a nostalgic backdrop for the real meat of the movie: Finn and Rey getting caught up in the search for Luke and finding their places in something greater than themselves, Kylo Ren's conflict, Han Solo confronting his son, Rey embracing the force, finally finding Luke, and so on. And IMO, that's okay. It's familiar and comfortable, and keeps things focused on the characters and their interactions and development. All the better that we have characters introduced for this trilogy that people generally agree are likeable and interesting.

That's all not to say that we couldn't have had these characters and their stories had the backdrop been more fleshed out, but I don't think the movie would have been better had it addressed those questions.

Second time I watched it John Boyegas performance seemed better and Daisey Ridleys seemed worse. She seemed a little unnatural, but I'm sure she'll grow into the role (i know its her first film).

Jonm1010

Banned
Second time I watched it John Boyegas performance seemed better and Daisey Ridleys seemed worse. She seemed a little unnatural, but I'm sure she'll grow into the role (i know its her first film).

John Boyega and Oscar Isaac were the two people I had zero worry about given their earlier roles.

Frankly though I think Daisey plays a better lead then Mark Hamill did. If I had to rank the new cast she would be last place but that isnt because she did a bad job, just the other three did such a great job and had the better material to shine.

John Boyega and Oscar Isaac were the two people I had zero worry about given their earlier roles.

Frankly though I think Daisey plays a better lead then Mark Hamill did. If I had to rank the new cast she would be last place but that isnt because she did a bad job, just the other three did such a great job.

My wife had to remind me that Oscar Isaac was in Ex Machina that we had watched a couple months ago.

Once that hit me I realized dude has some skills.

It works just as well as it always did. Dunno why it wouldn't.

Maybe someone can post a super-convincing argument for why we should care about Finn killing stormtroopers in this film (all of whom are trying to kill him, and his friends, with their sun-destroying, solar-system killing superweapon), and we can split it out into its own thread called "Sympathy for Space Nazis: How The Force Awakens Mistreats Slaves"

I want this book ASAP

Jonm1010

Banned
My wife had to remind me that Oscar Isaac was in Ex Machina that we had watched a couple months ago.

Once that hit me I realized dude has some skills.

Show me a Hero, Inside Llewyn Davis, Ex Machina, and A Most Violent Year are all great performances.

Show Me a Hero was particularly amazing.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Well, yeah, because Luke shot space rats

They were moving targets. So he actually had experience doing something more difficult than destroying the Dearh Star.

When FINN bolted it was his first mission. He wasnt a fully operative stormtrooper. technically he never killed anyone innocent because he refused to fire on the town folks

How would he have any concept of innocence? How would he really understand what civilians were?

Syriel

He was more convincing in his role and pulled off the humorous lines perfectly.

Disagree there. Whenever Boyega got "funny" it felt like he was trying too hard and was acting out of character, with humor that fits American culture, but seemed out of place in the film.

Isaac and Ridley were both excellent and I would rate their performances above Boyega's.

Ophelion

How was he more convincing in his role? And I confusing Boyega brings "out-acting Daisy" with humorous lines with Daisy not getting as many.

His character got more crowd pleaser lines and he had better opportunity to be more charismatic as a result. Daisy is frequently the straight man to Boyega's clown in those scenes. That's a pretty thankless job in comedy and harder to do than anyone gives credit for. They have great chemistry together and I at no point did I get taken out of the movie with her performance. She sells the emotion in all of her scenes. I don't think the emotion really hits the audience of Han's death until we see the reaction shot of Rey's face. Certainly not for people that weren't all about the OT.

because now stormtroopers are legitimate victims in their own right.
Before they were just faceless soldiers behind masks who we didn't know anything about. The whole thing breaks Finns character, he is all nonsense really.

I don't know what totes mean, but it's not an issue of improbability. Luke is whiny and kinda weak. we are shown how he progressively learns more about the force. Rey is a master martial artist, fencer, mechanic, pilot, linguist. She also learns to use the force in about five minutes, and she's compassionate, everybody likes and trusts her, she is brave.. the list goes on.

My bullshit detector is at max right now.

She learns the force in 5 minutes? She found out her powers through Maz and the flashback, and then realizes what Kylo Ren is doing when he tries to probe her mind, and fights back. Did you forget how Luke was blocking stun lasers with a lightsaber WHILE BLIND after working with Obi-Wan for like a fucking day? I mean come on.

She's brave? She wants literally nothing more than to go home till she realizes that whoever she is waiting on will never be coming for her. When she experiences the flashbacks from Anakin's Lightsaber, she nopes the fuck out and runs away.

Again, people trying to call Rey perfect either have an agenda, or didn't watch the movie it seems like.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I liked the theory that Kylo's lightsaber was using the salvaged, cracked crystal that used to be inside the hilt of Darth Vader's own lightsaber, seeing as how he's coveting everything Vader.

He's a big Vader stan.

Disagree there. Whenever Boyega got "funny" it felt like he was trying too hard and was acting out of character, with humor that fits American culture, but seemed out of place in the film.

This is a strange post. OT Star Wars had plenty of "American humor". It just happened to have been written in the 70s, so it seems a little more foreign to modern audiences.

OnPoint

Isaac and Ridley were both excellent and I would rate their performances above Boyega's.

See I liked that. Since he's a former brainwashed Stormtropper trying to fit in to a world he never knew, it should feel kind of awkward.

Disagree there. Whenever Boyega got "funny" it felt like he was trying too hard and was acting out of character, with humor that fits American culture,

I agree, but thats not why he had the best performance. People saying he was the "funny" to Rey's "Luke" are understating the nuisance of the prideful man whose secretly afraid of the fight, wants to run from the violence but wants to be strong too. He sold that in the scenes with Maz. But when he was doing the funnies, it never felt contradictory but some of it fell flat for me.

Jonm1010

Banned

You realize Boyega is a Brit with a heavy accent right?

My biggest issue with the film is you have Finn pretty much skate on Rey and leave her but then you wanna have him running back yelling at the top of his lungs like an idiot. No tension just dumb energy trying to amp an extra emotional scene.

It was a dumb dumb scene.

Top Bottom