• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

MegalonJJ

Banned
I liked the theory that Kylo's lightsaber was using the salvaged, cracked crystal that used to be inside the hilt of Darth Vader's own lightsaber, seeing as how he's coveting everything Vader.

He's a big Vader stan.

How is that possible seeing as the Death Star 2 blew up? Only Luke made it off that thing with Vader's body and he didn't have time to go fishing for his old man's lightsaber.

At least in cloud city we can speculate that the cleaning/maintenance droids/people/etc found Luke/Anakin's saber and kept it/sold it etc.

Did anyone else hate Finn's use of the word 'Boyfriend' in the Star Wars universe? Do people in that world have boyfriends and girlfriends? The word itself sounds so unlike Star Wars.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Did anyone else hate Finn's use of the word 'Boyfriend' in the Star Wars universe? Do people in that world have boyfriends and girlfriends? The word itself sounds so unlike Star Wars.

this is an incredibly minuscule thing to have issue with

Johndoey

Banned
How was he more convincing in his role? And I think you're confusing Boyega brings "out-acting Daisy" with humorous lines with Daisy not getting as many.
When Boyega was on screen he managed to pull me into the world in a way Ridley didn't. And humor is difficult to pull off properly which is why I brought it up.

Jonm1010

Banned
But the person who wrote the jokes and situations isn't. Why does the nationality of the actor matter?
Well when someone says Boyega broke character that tends to mean the actor was unable to sustain the character convincingly and slips into their normal self.

It's seems like the critique should of been then that Boyega's script was poorly crafted(which I disagree) or he delivered some of the scenes poorly(which I also disagree on).

My biggest issue with the film is you have Finn pretty much skate on Rey and leave her but then you wanna have him running back yelling at the top of his lungs like an idiot. No tension just dumb energy trying to amp an extra emotional scene.

It was a dumb dumb scene.
The last thing he says to her is that she basically gave him purpose in life and for her to take care of herself, so he clearly cares a lot about her. He does leave her, but he's torn about it and is a bit ashamed he's giving into his fears.

When runs back screaming, it's because the person he's scared of more than anyone else in the galaxy just took her and will most likely kill her. He's overcoming his fears in that moment, realizing that she's more important to him than his safety.

The emotional beats are there.

And now I think we've reached the part where one side is taking it a bit too heavily.

I think the problem is why have him as a defecting stormtrooper if we're not going to get a glimpse into it. He could've had any other profession or whatever and still be afraid of the First Order, but they chose Stormtrooper because it's cool. And it is cool. But it's all there is. IMO. Personally. For me.

this is an incredibly minuscule thing to have issue with

I have several issues with the film, and this is just one of them. Writing and in-world language aren't something to be brushed off in favor of CGI and explosion. And as a screenwriter myself, I would have never used such a real world and out of place term in this script.

in that case I rather take "treated like shit" than mary sue.

And there's the agenda.

Its totally ok for male characters to be perfect pretty much off the bat, but Rey is a mary sue because she has passable skills that help her survive alone for years and eventually unlock her own inner power.

Much better to have a single female character treated like shit all movie than have a woman be anything near almost every male hero we get, right?

Hoo-doo

Banned
How is that possible seeing as the Death Star 2 blew up? Only Luke made it off that thing with Vader's body and he didn't have time to go fishing for his old man's lightsaber.

At least in cloud city we can speculate that the cleaning/maintenance droids/people/etc found Luke/Anakin's saber and kept it/sold it etc.

The death star blowing up doesn't mean everything disintegrates into a fine powder. Seeing as how Kylo seemingly salvaged a near burnt to a crisp helmet piece from Endor I don't see how it would be too much of a stretch for him to go the extra mile to acquire the crystal/hilt. Would also explain why it's so unstable.

I mean, Kylo is basically religiously devoted to Darth Vader and there's zero chance that the remains of an exploded death star weren't going to be stripped clean by all kinds of spacefaring miscreants.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The death star blowing up doesn't mean everything disintegrates into a fine powder. Seeing as how Kylo seemingly salvaged a near burnt to a crisp helmet piece from Endor I don't see how it would be too much of a stretch for him to go the extra mile to acquire the crystal/hilt. Would also explain why it's so unstable.

I mean, Kylo is basically religiously devoted to Darth Vader and there's zero chance that the remains of an exploded death star weren't going to be stripped clean by all kinds of spacefaring miscreants.

It was right next to a shaft that lead straight to the reactor. If it was left there then it was vaporized. We're also talking about enough power to pulverize several planets from the surface in. That power is instead blowing up a structure that's much smaller and less dense than a planet from the inside. Overkill to the max.

The last thing he says to her is that she basically gave him purpose in life and for her to take care of herself, so he clearly cares a lot about her. He does leave her, but he's torn about it and is a bit ashamed he's giving into his fears.

When runs back screaming, it's because the person he's scared of more than anyone else in the galaxy just took her and will most likely kill her. He's overcoming his fears in that moment, realizing that she's more important to him than his safety.

The emotional beats are there.

You don't leave someone you truly care about. You have a mental struggle but you're gonna stay for someones safety if you really care about them. The development of Finn in that scene seems rather cowardly instead of brave determination.

Its like he ran away from the fight but wanted to seem focused and determined when the enemy is leaving and packing up lol

The word was used in a deleted scene from Episode II.

SOLA
Well, this is exciting! Do you
know, Anakin, you're the first
boyfriend my sister's ever brought
home?

PADME
(rolls her eyes)
Sola!! He isn't my boyfriend!
He's a Jedi assigned by the Senate
to protect me.

But, honestly, what, do you think people don't date in the Star Wars universe?

I'd say for the vast majority of people who have experienced Star Wars, their only point of entry has been the film universe.

The fact that other stuff exists is great, but the logic of the film universe shouldn't depend on it.

And most of them don't have an obsession with the inanest details like the people for whom the supplementary information is being suggested.

I have several issues with the film, and this is just one of them. Writing and in-world language aren't something to be brushed off in favor of CGI and explosion. And as a screenwriter myself, I would have never used such a real world and out of place term in this script.

So you would use a term nobody would understand instead and send us all scurrying for Wookiepedia after the film? Would you have replaced mother, father, son, aunt, and uncle as well?

Skinpop

And there's the agenda.

is this self reflection?

Leia is a better and stronger character because she actually is strong, not physically but as a person. I think that matters a great deal more. She is treated like shit, but faces it head on and overcomes it.
Rey is just extremely talented at everything and has so many skills that I never feel that she is at risk. I feel like you could remove every other character in the movie and she would still be able to accomplish the same result on her own. I can't say the same about a single other character in the entire star wars series.

MegalonJJ

Banned

Yeah that's all well and good but the producer/money man cares only about the wide audience reach and in this case can pressure the director to go with whatever is most accessible. And besides what the actor said in the final cut, is not always what the initial screenwriter wrote.

Please understand, that I'm not trying diminish your point, if anything we should be pushing for greater quality works, but you know, the 40 year old sad cases would prefer a dickless retread of the OT over anything else, and they got it. And they applaud it too. This will only validate Disney's MO and will only incentivize them further to push for safer and staler rehashes. Get hype baby!

Hoo-doo

Banned
It was right next to a shaft that lead straight to the reactor. If it was left there then it was vaporized.

It's a piece of crystal. Why would small objects be 'vaporized' exactly? Why wouldn't it just be blown apart? Who's the authority on Star Wars physics here?

I realise this discussion is entering into ridiculous territory. I think the crystal itself could have survived.

Vader's crystal didn't survive.

Because it was in a lightsaber

That was in still in his hand

At the bottom of a reactor shaft

Right next to Wrinkles

Of a space station that then exploded

I have more issue with him using hell (and yes I know Alec Guinness used damn in Star Wars).

Hell isn't a concept that exists inside the universe of Star Wars. It shouldn't have any meaning as an epithet. There are plenty of actually Star Warsian ways for him to curse.

I have more issue with him using hell (and yes I know Alec Guinness used damn in Star Wars).

Hell isn't a concept that exists inside the universe of Star Wars. It shouldn't have any meaning as an epithet. There are plenty of actually Star Warsian ways for him to curse.

Go back and watch ESB again ;)

Your tauntaun will freeze before you reach the first marker.

You don't leave someone you truly care about. You have a mental struggle but you're gonna stay for someones safety if you really care about them. The development of Finn in that scene seems rather cowardly instead of brave determination.

Its like he ran away from the fight but wanted to seem focused and determined when the enemy is leaving and packing up lol
You do when you're scared shitless. He is cowardly in that scene. It's the middle of his arc, which ends with him going to the Starkiller Base and saving Rey. That action on his part is all the more powerful because you've seen how scared he is, but he's come to realize that facing that fear is worth it for people like Rey.

Also, you say he runs away from the fight, but he's in the thick of it after the Republic planets are destroyed. After he loses his fight to "TRAITOR" stormtrooper, Han saves him, which I think surprises Finn. Someone went out of their way to save him, something that probably never happened in The First Order. This further lends itself to why he would suddenly realize how important it is to help Rey.

He's was raised being told to fight for the First Order, but his heart was never in it. Between Poe, Rey, and Han, he finally has something to fight for.

JB1981

My biggest issue with the film is you have Finn pretty much skate on Rey and leave her but then you wanna have him running back yelling at the top of his lungs like an idiot. No tension just dumb energy trying to amp an extra emotional scene.

It was a dumb dumb scene.

I completely agree. Scene was super cringe.

Well we can only hope they get you to write Episode VIII.

And someone dared to call this moment cheesy and pandering the other day. It's going to be the iconic moment of TFA.
It was cheesy! I knew it was going to happen as soon as the light saber was shown. I had no idea why everyone cheered at such a telegraphed moment.

Ophelion

You say all that like every human interaction is some kind of equation that always comes out the same.

Real people leave people they truly care about due to mitigating circumstances all the time. He thought she'd be safe with Han and the Resistance. He was incredibly terrified of the murder machine he was running away from and he saw an opportunity to get as far away from them as possible. And yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I don't think he's a coward for wanting to run from a bunch of planet destroying, villager murdering, child brainwashing space Nazis. Who specifically want to kill him.

I do however think it's heroic to ultimately overcome those fears and stand up to evil to try and protect the people you love.

So yeah, Finn's a hero in my eyes.

GhaleonEB

How is the world "boyfriend" out of place? Any more than any other English word they use?
General Hux is the other guy in Ex Machina

wat

I didn't recognize him a tall. Wow.

Jonm1010

Banned

People reluctantly leave people they care about all the time in stories and in real life.

Finn was battling his fear of the first order with his desire to right the wrongs he saw and participated in and his feelings toward Rey. In that moment fear won out. Happens all the time in life and in film. Fight or flight responses are something integral to the human experience. In that moment flight won out.

And most of them don't have an obsession with the inanest details like the people for whom the supplementary information is being suggested.

I don't think a basic understanding of why the two opposing factions are fighting in a movie titled "Star Wars" is "the inanest details."

If you were to ask someone who walked out of the theater after seeing ANH why the Rebellion was fighting the Empire, they'd probably be able to give you the correct answer. And it wouldn't just be "because of the bad stuff we see happen during the story." The film made the backdrop of the conflict pretty visible on multiple occasions, and didn't really go that far out of its way to do so.

I'm not sure the average viewer can glean the reason why the Resistance is fighting the First Order in the first place simply from the film, aside from that they're Stormtroopers who are ruthless in their hunt for Luke Skywalker, that they look like the new Empire, and the fact that they blew up the Republic capitol (again, "the bad stuff we see happen during the story"). The film doesn't give us much insight into the backdrop of the conflict.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It's a piece of crystal. Why would small objects be 'vaporized' exactly? Why wouldn't it just be blown apart? Who's the authority on Star Wars physics here?

I realise this discussion is entering into ridiculous territory. I think the crystal itself could have survived.

Crystals could be pulverized, yes. But heat destroys them more thoroughly. They can be and are vaporized with enough heat and/or pressure.

Yeah that's all well and good but the producer/money man cares only about the wide audience reach and in this case can pressure the director to go with whatever is most accessible. And besides what the actor said in the final cut, is not always what the initial screenwriter wrote.

Please understand, that I'm not trying diminish your point, if anything we should be pushing for greater quality works, but you know, the 40 year old sad cases would prefer a dickless retread of the OT over anything else, and they got it. And they applaud it too. This will only validate Disney's MO and will only incentivize them further to push for safer and staler rehashes. Get hype baby!
Yes and in other words, the art form is fucked for the most part if its not an independent film.

This is why everyone with a brain is flocking over to television.

According to this article Vader's lightsaber was already mentioned in the new EU:

The Acolytes of the Beyond

On the planet Taris, a group of Sith Lord-looking apprentices gathers in order to purchase what they are told is the late Darth Vader’s lightsaber (in the background, spraypainted on one of the room’s walls, is the stencil of Lord Vader’s helmet, with the words “Vader lives” underneath it). When the seller, a Kubaz, asks what they are – since they’re obviously not Jedi – they simply respond that they’re adherents to the Force that call themselves the Acolytes of the Beyond. They state that they are not a violent order – not yet, at any rate – and that they wish to buy the saber in order to destroy it and return it to its master in death.

Although this is the only instance of the Acolytes appearing in all of “Journey to The Force Awakens,” and although Lucasfilm has (unsurprisingly) refused to elaborate on them, it is largely believed that the adherents will eventually, over the course of the next three decades, transform into the Knights of Ren, the order that Kylo Ren is a member of in Episode VII.

Burt

How is the world "boyfriend" out of place? Any more than any other English word they use?

Bruh, if you made even the token effort of spending the bare minimum 14 hours of pre-viewing study on Wookiepedia, you would've found that the canon term is 'tier 2 intimacy companion" by hour 9 at the latest.

When Boyega was on screen he managed to pull me into the world in a way Ridley didn't. And humor is difficult to pull off properly which is why I brought it up.

Agree. Ridley had some really funky deliveries, especially on Jakku. Stuff like "I know all about waiting.......for my family." And "Classified..........me too." That and a lot of mannerisms came across as wooden. She seemed a lot more green than Boyega and co.

"Then I'll see you in hell!"

I have a problem with Han saying it too.

I.E. How would he or anyone know about the concept of that really scary hot place you go if you've been a naughty person unless the folks who really like them some Jesus showed up in the universe to tell him so?

But I'm getting way more pedantic now than I care to be about a kid's fiction series with flipping space wizard frogs and moving planet sized space stations

Jonm1010

Banned
Crystals could be pulverized, yes. But heat destroys them more thoroughly. They can be and are vaporized with enough heat and/or pressure.
Are we really trying to apply physics to Star Wars? A universe where the force exists and pretty much works as a convenient plot crutch whenever needed? Or a planet can harness the power of a sun somehow, despite the impossibility of that feat. Shit how about sound in space.

Top Bottom