• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Io39eFll.jpg

You just know she's going to kill Luke. DAMMIT REY WHY DID YOU HAVE TO BE A BADDIE

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think that because she was alone for most of her life she's more fallible than Luke. Luke at least had Owen, Beru.

Rey was abandoned and alone on a planet with no friends. Ren even pointed out her "loneliness" when he interrogated her.

One thing that kind of bothers me is there was no real motivation explained for Ben Solo's turning. He had everything that Rey didn't.

Yeah and supposedly he showed signs before joining Luke, that's why Leia sent him to Luke and she regretted it. Can't imagine what that would have been about unless he was just throwing his toys around.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Rey's droid pal is set to be R2 in VIII considering he left with her at the end of VII while BB8 is staying with Poe (and probably Finn).

Though I doubt R2 will be following anyone around much except the Falcon. Too slow. Probably sticking with Luke.

Why?

I think her falling to the dark side would make the audience wonder why even bother with Jedi at all if they're all so easily manipulated. Which they aren't of course, but we've already seen Anakin fall, we know Ben Solo fell, Count Dooku... for yet another to succumb, and another one of Luke's (presumed) apprentices to fall, it would just be ground that has been covered too many times (in my opinion). It's also why we won't see Kylo Ren's redemption... it's too much of a thematic retread.

Tempted: Sure.
Actual fall? I hope not.
Kylo is going to be redeemed. That's for sure.

I don't think the audience would feel that. The dark side is passion and hate, stuff we feel every single day. It's relatable. It'd be a retread of Anakin, yeah, but I think the new guys can handle it a lot better than Lucas can.

I think that because she was alone for most of her life she's more fallible than Luke. Luke at least had Owen, Beru.

Rey was abandoned and alone on a planet with no friends. Ren even pointed out her "loneliness" when he interrogated her.
Her weakness will be her parents. That would be her path to the dark side of the Force.

One thing that kind of bothers me is there was no real motivation explained for Ben Solo's turning. He had everything that Rey didn't.

That bothered me as well. I liked Han's death, but it loses some impact for me because we don't know why Kylo turned. Another mystery to be answered in another movie. It's annoying.

El Jaffe

Yeah and supposedly he showed signs before joining Luke, that's why Leia sent him to Luke and she regretted it. Can't imagine what that would have been about unless he was just throwing his toys around.
I remember hearing that in the TFA novel that apparently Ben Solo has been hearing voices in his head since he was young, and was implied that it was Snoke. Haven't read the novel myself so I'm not positive it's true.

The freighter didn't bother me on second viewing, although it felt a bit out of place (or out of pace) the first time. It's your basic trash compactor scene, complete with someone (formerly) in stormtrooper armour being dragged off by tentacles. The rathtars were a jumbled mess of unintelligible CG the first time, but with the ability to pay them some attention, they become credible entities. I love that they also kind of echo the saarlacc. Could even be baby versions? The film blends references like this so, so well. And Rey being all cool about saving Finns ass.

Regarding the music. As a few people have already said, there is something to appreciate in its mutedness, modesty, subtlety / whatever. Even the bombastic pieces are kind of hesitant, which is where people become disappointed looking for the full-blooded Williams pieces of the OT & PT.

As far as I was aware, most of the celebrated pieces in Williams' SW scores were (highly intelligent & successful) clones & reworkings of existing classical movements. To the point where it's very obvious when you listen to the originals. I've happened upon one or two but can't name them, and have always vaguely wondered whether anyone has put the work in to do a kind of genesis collection album.

I should say, this was all open & deliberate. I remember reading that Lucas & Williams would agree on a classical piece that fit the mood they were going for, and Williams would go away & turn it into Star Wars.

I do wonder if Abrams followed the same creative process here or what. Because my initial feeling is that Williams was kind of running on fumes; without a fresh injection of pre-existing phrases to work. But I don't have the ear to really tell.

The one piece that really stands out as fresh is the scavenger's theme. Listening to the way this is handled gives me a lot of hope. If my best hopes are correct, this simple theme is like the basis for something that's eventually going to be supremely grand & powerful in the forthcoming films. I think I can hear how it might get built upon (there's certainly enough space within it).

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Yea taking a bowcaster to the ribs will do that.

Seriously, that shot would have owned anybody else. I can't believe people are like "Wtf Rey beat Kylo thats so lame" and completely ignore the fact that he should've died like 30 minutes before,

A shot like we saw before also would have easily knocked him off the bridge and into the planet's core. It was a dud.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Why didn't he go flying, then?
Even if you don't go with that one of laws of movie action is that unless a character is limping and moaning they're effectively at full capability.

Einchy

Even if you don't go with that one of laws of movie action is that unless a character is limping and moaning they're effectively at full capability.

Because he's Kylo mothafukin Ren and having him blown off a bridge would be a dumb death.
Why do you think it was a dud? Did chewy switch out the real ammo for the one bullet that was a dud? Did he know Han was going to die? Or was it just dumb luck that it was a dud even though it made him lose his footing and had him bleeding out?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Just realized Lupita Nyong'o character was Maz. Why not have her on-screen, instead of voicing a CGI character. She is a great actress. What a waste.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Just realized Lupita Nyong'o character was Maz. Why not have her on-screen, instead of voicing a CGI character. She is a great actress. What a waste.

She did the facial and body mo-cap sooooooo she kindasortanotreally did

Randdalf

Just saw it for the second time, still loving it. The sound design and music are really fantastic in this film. The long shot of Poe's fighter zooming around the ruins of Maz's castle-thing is something I didn't catch last time, really cool. Also JJ Abrams likes to open a lot scenes with the camera snapping laterally into view.

Einchy

Cus lupita doesn't look like a thousand year old 4 foot alien.

Qurupeke

I was in a party and I met a guy from SW VIII and apparently Rey is Jar Jar Binks granddaughter, which means she has Sith heritage and she is way too good with the force. And Snoke is her brother.

The Librarian and I were having a conversation yesterday where she thought Finn was being a jerk for asking Rey if she has a boyfriend in the situation they were in at the time and thought it was "pathetic" that I said I probably would have done the same thing in his shoes, though perhaps with a bit more tact.

You know that's not what I said. Please do not put words into my mouth.
I don't want to put words in your mouth, but you sort of just stopped responding to me (while continuing to respond to other posts) when I thought we were having a pretty good conversation about it.

I'm happy to continue on from where we left off if you'd like.

You know that's not what I said. Please do not put words into my mouth.

Are you goign to explain why a female character can't be seduced to the dark side? We haven't had a female on the dark side of the Force yet in the movies. She doesn't have to kill kids or anything. Maybe she could just betray the Resistance or something.

He's limping and moaning, too.

This has been pretty clearly established over the course of the two & a half spoiler threads we've had on the film thus far.

(also unsure what film legislation you're citing there)

Shaanyboi

Banned
Are you goign to explain why a female character can't be seduced to the dark side? We haven't had a female on the dark side of the Force yet in the movies. She doesn't have to kill kids or anything. Maybe she could just betray the Resistance or something.

She's already flirted with using her anger to win a fight, without knowing the context of the light/dark sides of the Force. If anything I'm betting now she knows due to Luke training her, but now they can put her in a position where she's so desperate that she'll either need to do it again, or overcome said obstacle by a sheer force of will. If she does embrace her anger again though, I'd bet that'd put her in a position of then feeling she has nowhere else to go but to Snoke or to abandon the Force altogether.

Out of curiosity Bobby, have your thoughts on the movie as whole changed much since your initial viewing? I remember seeing you say you'd put it a bit under Star Trek '09, but not much beyond that.

She's already flirted with using her anger to win a fight, without knowing the context of the light/dark sides of the Force. If anything I'm betting now she knows due to Luke training her, but now they can put her in a position where she's so desperate that she'll either need to do it again, or overcome said obstacle by a sheer force of will. If she does embrace her anger again though, I'd bet that'd put her in a position of then feeling she has nowhere else to go but to Snoke or to abandon the Force altogether.

That'll be interesting to see. It'll be a great arc for her.

They're not gonna have the first Jedi female protagonist go to the dark side.

Ain't happenin'.

Boke1879

Ren also probably feels he has a legacy to live up to, but feels he'll never achieve that. He also probably had anger problems and used the force in dangerous ways when acting out. Leia sent him to Luke. At that point Ren probably felt abandoned by his family and clearly has disdain for his father.

jelly

Why does the Dark Side corrupt even if they just flirt with anger. Does right and wrong still not apply in their mind. Is the Dark Side an easier route to power, can the Light compete?

What makes them do evil things without remorse if they were good before?

Luke kicked Vader's ass with anger but then was like, nah I'm good.

I'm scratching my head too.

Probably because it would be turning a positive female role model into something negative. I don't want her to stay on the dark side, but I also don't want her coddled. But that's only what I suspect. The Librarian might have a completely different reason.

Why does the Dark Side corrupt even if they just flirt with anger. Does right and wrong still not apply in their mind. Is the Dark Side an easier route to power, can the Light compete?

What makes them do evil things without remorse if they were good before?

Luke kicked Vader's ass with anger but then was like, nah I'm good.

The Dark Side is quicker and easier, that's all. It's also like a drug, every time you use it it becomes harder and harder to stop, and soon you start using it just to get a "rush" like how Vader looks for any excuse to kill someone.

Think of it like losing weight via eating right and exercising, and losing weight via bulimia and "diet pills"

The Dark Side is quicker and easier, that's all. It's also like a drug, every time you use it it becomes harder and harder to stop, and soon you start using it just to get a "rush" like how Vader looks for any excuse to kill someone.

He even reaches across to a different ship to get his fix!

Probably because it would be turning a positive female role model into something negative. I don't want her to stay on the dark side, but I also don't want her coddled. But that's only waht I suspect. The Librarian might have a completely different reason.
Dude, just because she doesn't fall to the Dark Side doesn't mean she's being coddled.

Boke1879

Probably because it would be turning a positive female role model into something negative. I don't want her to stay on the dark side, but I also don't want her coddled. But that's only waht I suspect. The Librarian might have a completely different reason.

This me. I'm fine with whatever direction the writers take her character. I brought up the thought that it would be interesting to see her turn to the darkside. She doesn't have to stay that way, or maybe she has to do it to tap into some hidden power, or maybe she has to fal to the darkside in order to learn how to balance both light and dark.

I don't want the reason for them not exploring something like that simply to be because she's the first female lead in a Star Wars movie. It would just be limiting yourself creatively. I know how important Rey is to our culture right now. Hell Finn is just as equally important. Having her potentially fall to the darkside would be just part of the story. At the end of the day Rey/Daisy Ridley is still the lead female in the biggest brand on the planet.

Top Bottom