• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

This me. I'm fine with whatever direction the writers take her character. I brought up the thought that it would be interesting to see her turn to the darkside. She doesn't have to stay that way, or maybe she has to do it to tap into some hidden power, or maybe she has to fal to the darkside in order to learn how to balance both light and dark.

If she does fall to the Dark Side, it'll be because of the family that left her. They have to show up again.

Metalmarc

I8gGQxi.jpg

rLoRji7.jpg

15rbr5E.jpg

https://twitter.com/AgnesGarbowska

Aww cutest way to start 2016 , i'd buy these images on cards if i could

Boke1879

If she does fall to the Dark Side, it'll be because of the family that left her. They have to show up again.

I think her past will definitely play into everything and I don't think she'll be very happy about it. I'm eager for her Dagobah "cave" moment if they do that.

I think her falling to the dark side would make the audience wonder why even bother with Jedi at all if they're all so easily manipulated. Which they aren't of course, but we've already seen Anakin fall, we know Ben Solo fell, Count Dooku... for yet another to succumb, and another one of Luke's (presumed) apprentices to fall, it would just be ground that has been covered too many times (in my opinion). It's also why we won't see Kylo Ren's redemption... it's too much of a thematic retread.

Tempted: Sure.
Actual fall? I hope not.

Kills someone out of revenge, but never falls.

I think her past will definitely play into everything and I don't think she'll be very happy about it. I'm eager for her Dagobah "cave" moment if they do that.
She will not be happy at all. The possibilities gets me excited.

Leia, Finn, BB8, Chewie, Luke easily.

They weren't the people who tried to straight up murder her ass repeatedly.
If it was just against Snoke, yeah. But if her old family came back and she had to break her training to go save them, she'd be starting down the path to the dark side.

Arthea

Why does the Dark Side corrupt even if they just flirt with anger. Does right and wrong still not apply in their mind. Is the Dark Side an easier route to power, can the Light compete?

What makes them do evil things without remorse if they were good before?

Luke kicked Vader's ass with anger but then was like, nah I'm good.

yeah, Dark Side is easier road to power and anger is a big part of it. Dark side corrupts them, no remorse or regrets there.

I don't think Luke killed anybody in anger, tho.

Kin5290

Eh, I don't want Rey to be tempted by the Dark side like that, because I hate the idea that the only way to remain within the Light side is to play a Stupid Good paladin.

onken

I only just saw this yesterday but I loved it! Only complaint was Snoke looked bad, like, straight out of 2001-grade-CG Lord of the Rings level bad. Darth Dork taking out Solo could be seen coming a mile off too, but that's not really a complaint I guess.

Why didn't he go flying, then?
Even if you don't go with that one of laws of movie action is that unless a character is limping and moaning they're effectively at full capability.

It was that DBZ armor helmet of his.

Conditioned the shit out of his body.

But you can see the sweat and agony on his face (and speech) when he asked Rey to join him.
His movements may not have shown it, but his pain was written all over his face.

Boke1879

yeah, Dark Side is easier road to power and anger is a big part of it. Dark side corrupts them, no remorse or regrets there.

I don't think Luke killed anybody in anger, tho.

In Jedi. That final part of the battle with Luke and Vader. Luke gave into his rage for a brief moment when Vader threatened to go after Leia. Had Luke killed Vader there he would have descended to the darkside. It's why the Emperor was laughing.

Arthea

In Jedi. That final part of the battle with Luke and Vader. Luke gave into his rage for a brief moment when Vader threatened to go after Leia. Had Luke killed Vader there he would have descended to the darkside. It's why the Emperor was laughing.

yeah, but he didn't kill anybody in anger and I was replaying to the post that "he just decided, no I'm still good after descending into darkside", he haven't went there, even if it was close call.

Boke1879

yeah, but he didn't kill anybody in anger and I was replaying to the post that "he just decided, no I'm still good after descending into darkside", he haven't went there, even if it was close call.

Ah yes then. Never killed anyone in anger. He comes out of that rage when he looks at the hand he just cut off of Vader and then see's his own mechanical hand.

So are the Knights of Ren the same people that were jedis that Luke was training Han mentioned? Or are they two separate groups. Han mentioned that Luke was training a new generation of jedi and that one of his students went mad and killed the others. Which its Ren that went mad and killed them right?

But when Rey had the vision of touching Luke's light saber we see Luke with R2 and the knights of Ren are assembled with Ren with them right by. But yet don't we see Ren sticking his red lightsaber through one of them?

And early in the film Snoke addresses Ren as "Last of the Knights of Ren"

So were the rest of Luke's students corrupted as well and they ultimately had a showdown?

Sorry if this has been brought up a lot but I just saw the film yesterday.

JB1981

So are the Knights of Ren the same people that were jedis that Luke was training Han mentioned? Or are they two separate groups. Han mentioned that Luke was training a new generation of jedi and that one of his students went mad and killed the others. Which its Ren that went mad and killed them right?

But when Rey had the vision of touching Luke's light saber we see Luke with R2 and the knights of Ren are assembled with Ren with them right by. But yet don't we see Ren sticking his red lightsaber through one of them?

So were the rest of Luke's students corrupted as well and they ultimately had a showdown?

I don't think anyone really knows at this point.

Did Snoke say last of the Knights? I thought he said first, in that Kylo was the greatest of them (sound quality was bad at my theater).

Alcander

Question: what is the current conventional wisdom re: Rey's parentage? Right after the film came out everyone assumed it was Luke. I still think the movie heavily implies it, but after talking to a few other people they seemed to think otherwise. Red herring?

Arthea

getting back to previous discussion a little, I don't see Rey joining the darkside, tempted? probably, actually going all way in, nope, just can't see it happening.

I also hope they'll show in some flashback what exactly happened to Luke's Jedi school, in detail, I mean.

GhaleonEB

Question: what is the current conventional wisdom re: Rey's parentage? Right after the film came out everyone assumed it was Luke. I still think the movie heavily implies it, but after talking to a few other people they seemed to think otherwise. Red herring?

I hope it's a red herring. It wouldn't be much of a reveal otherwise.

There may be a hint in the film that she's not a Skywalker. Maz tells Rey that she knows the people she's waiting for are never coming back. But there's someone who could: Luke.

Would be an odd thing to say if they were one and the same. (Unless that's just there to further throw people off, but Maz seems to have some insight into Rey.)

The more I think about it, the less I think she's. Skywalker.

Arthea

I'm undecided still, but everybody I talked about it don't see it any other way, only that Luke is her father. Rather expected, but still, even for that alone I hope Luke is not a father, as in - that would be too predictable.

Alcander

I hope it's a red herring. It wouldn't be much of a reveal otherwise.

There may be a hint in the film that she's not a Skywalker. Maz tells Rey that she knows the people she's waiting for are never coming back. But there's someone who could: Luke.

Would be an odd thing to say if they were one and the same. (Unless that's just there to further throw people off, but Maz seems to have some insight into Rey.)

Interesting. I'd have to see the exact quotes from maz from that scene -- I took it for more of a metaphor (e.g. not ruling out Luke).

I certainly hope she's not Luke's kid -- it feels too obvious. I saw some speculation on her being a Kenobi which I think would be a more interesting direction.

televator

Just wanna jump in and say that having her totally fall would be too much of a retread as someone else has expressed. There'd be no point in Luke coming back into the fold, and it would only galvanize his choice in hermetic life style.

I think that there will be a moment where Rey will face her inner darkness. She must do it. Every Jedi has been tested so. She'll be tempted and maybe lose herself briefly, but the good in her should win out. I think it will be a bit like Ahsoka - tempted, slightly lost briefly, but she is strong willed and incredibly resilient. Luke proved to Vader that there is hope. It's time someone reminded Luke of the same.

Burt

I know it isn't smart to look too heavily into marketing materials, but the first teaser for this movie did start with something like, "The force is strong in my family... I have that power.... my sister has that power... you have that power too", which is a pretty heavy implication and doesn't seem applicable to anyone else in the movie.

For better or worse, I think the best bet right now is that the Star Wars movies are about the Skywalker family.

huh, well where the hell were they?

I know we see them in Rey's vision but that's about it.
My money's on them being Snoke's personal bodyguards (or maybe trainees) when they aren't out on assignment.

GhaleonEB

huh, well where the hell were they?

I know we see them in Rey's vision but that's about it.

I had the feeling that Kylo was sort of on assignment for Snoke: find Skywalker and/or kill him. Maybe they'd come with him if they converged on Skywalker but they weren't needed to be hunting down clues to his location. If they were to be in the film, there wasn't really anything for them to do and we'd have just more wasted cool looking characters standing around. From a story and plotting standpoint there just wasn't a need for them. Rey's vision and that mention are probably just teasing them and they're keeping that powder dry for the next film. (Hopefully.)

I had the feeling that Kylo was sort of on assignment for Snoke: find Skywalker and/or kill him. Maybe they'd come with him if they converged on Skywalker but they weren't needed to be hunting down clues to his location. If they were to be in the film, there wasn't really anything for them to do and we'd have just more wasted cool looking characters standing around. From a story and plotting standpoint there just wasn't a need for them. Rey's vision and that mention are probably just teasing them and they're keeping that powder dry for the next film. (Hopefully.)

Do you think Rey's vision of the knights and luke was something that already happened in the past? Or something that would happen in the future?

GhaleonEB

Do you think Rey's vision of the knights and luke was something that already happened in the past? Or something that would happen in the future?

I interpreted it as being the slaughter of those Luke was training. The sequence seemed to move from past to future, as it cut from that to Rey as a child, and then later to her meeting Kylo in the woods, as she does later.

One other interpretation of the scene I've seen: Kylo turns from killing that one person in the rain, to walking directly at Rey. The vision then cuts to Rey abandoned on Jakku. It could be that Kylo spared her, as she was training as a young child, and rather than kill her just got rid of her in some corner of the galaxy.

televator

The film dropped hints that that was the case. Especially telling was the look Rey had when she finally faced him and held out his saber. Fucking beautiful moment, really. It would be soured if it was just a ruse.

I think the surprise will be more about who was her mother. At least, I hope they can make it surprising somehow. I can't think of any characters that could fit the bill, but I'm not like other SW geeks who carry a Wookipedia in their brain.

You guys think Hayden Christensen deserves a shot at playing Anakin/Vader again if they bring him back as a hallucination/Force Ghost for Ben/Luke/Rey? He's spent the last few years working on a farm because he feels like he didn't earn his fame after the SW flicks. Apparently he prefers having a low profile.

NEuWvWIH4NXCzu_1_b.jpg

"From my Point of View, Ben, you're the douchebag!"

Just wanna jump in and say that having her totally fall would be too much of a retread as someone else has expressed. There'd be no point in Luke coming back into the fold, and it would only galvanize his choice in hermetic life style.
Luke could see it as a second chance, to redeem himself. And the movie already retreads stuff from the OT, it could retread some of the PT, as well.

It's not a make or break thing for me, though.

Smoolio

I think the surprise will be more about who was her mother.

Here's my overly convoluted and ultimately pointless theory that i'm more just writing down for the record. Luke is the father of course but the mother is Sabine of rebels, who is the daughter Satine and Obi-wan. So Rey is an Kenobi and a Skywalker, poetry it rhymes.....

(Think Dave Filoni debunked a connection between Satine and Sabine, but w/e. Cant stop me)

televator

Luke could see it as a second chance, to redeem himself. And the movie already retreads stuff from the OT, it could retread some of the PT, as well.

It's not a make or break thing for me, though.

Kylo betrays him, Luke goes hermit, Rey brings him back... And betrays him again... It'd kill his motivation as a character. It'd ruin a lot IMO.

My scenario would be poetic on the plus side. Someone doing for Luke, as he did for his Father. We'd come full circle.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Finally saw the movie. Felt like I watched a redone episode 4 with Vader replaced with a new age angsty/emo teen who hates his father.

Not a fan.

Certinty

You guys think Hayden Christensen deserves a shot at playing Anakin/Vader again if they bring him back as a hallucination/Force Ghost for Ben/Luke/Rey? He's spent the last few years working on a farm because he feels like he didn't earn his fame after the SW flicks. Apparently he prefers having a low profile.

NEuWvWIH4NXCzu_1_b.jpg

"From my Point of View, Ben, you're the douchebag!"
I would love this. But if it isn't for the good side it would kind of feel like the ending of Episode VI was for nothing.

Also I never really understood the complaints about his acting in the prequels. Not saying his acting was great but everyone was quite bad given how awful the dialogue was.

Arthea

Here's my overly convoluted and ultimately pointless theory that i'm more just writing down for the record. Luke is the father of course but the mother is Sabine of rebels, who is the daughter Satine and Obi-wan. So Rey is an Kenobi and a Skywalker, poetry it rhymes.....

(Think Dave Filoni debunked a connection between Satine and Sabine, but w/e. Cant stop me)

I kinda like this theory
I mean not necessary Sabine part, but that Rey is Kenobi and Skywalker.
just thought I'll let you know

I still think that Luke being a father is a tad too obvious, but we'll see

Top Bottom