• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Yeah it's strange how the trailer shows them, as if they're going to be a huge part of the film, and then this was actually their only scene.

You know they kinda did the same with Gwyndolin Christy's character. Didn't really do anything other than get thrown into a dumpster :p

edit:lol @ those gifs The Flash

Christine

Honestly, if I could find a reason to go see it again, I would.

Rey is awesome. Best Star Wars character. Rey grabbing the lightsaber is the best Star Wars moment.

Rey.

Rey's awesome. What I like best about Rey is that her Force sensitivity seems to be almost more about connections between people, whereas Luke's was always centered in his individual focus and performance. She has a resonance with Finn that seems to enhance them both, when she's with Han in the cockpit she gets so in tune with the the Falcon's mechanics that she becomes almost manic in her pleasure at crisis repair, and when she's around Kylo she can see/feel/sense exactly what he's doing with the Force. The irony to his "You need a teacher" is that the progression of her abilities is sensibly in accord with quick study of what he does. The lightsaber grab is a climactic demonstration of that, as she can surely sense what he's doing in trying to pull at it. Between the facts of his exhaustion and compromise and the implementation of the saber as an entity that seems to exert its own protocol over who it "calls", there was really only one thing that could happen there.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Watching RLM's The top ten things YOU didn't know about Darth Vader's suit!

Anakin is literally Jesus? The force created Anakin in reprisal of Palpatine and Plagueis' attempts to create a being using the force itself?

So Luke is the child of Jesus.

Another good reason for Rey to hopefully not be Luke's daughter, but I'm getting the impression it just makes it more likely. Like, right now, Luke is the first king of England or something. How stupid.

prag16

Banned
Anybody with thoughts on taking small children to see this?

(I'm looking mostly for opinions from people with children or with otherwise relevant viewpoints; I'm not looking for armchair parenting judgments.)

My son is almost 4 and LOVES Star Wars. He has seen 4, 5, 1, and 2. He got upset when Anakin left his mother in TPM. I skipped over Shmi's death and the ensuing Tusken slaughter.

I'll show him Jedi (though it's likely he'll find the emperor creepy), but I think RoTS would be too much. Starting with the Dooku beheading and ending with Anakin's dismemberment... though during Clones, he said, "look, they broke Boba Fett's head off. That's a bad boo boo." And wasn't distressed. He doesn't have much understanding of death yet.

I'm inclined to say TFA isn't drastically more intense than ESB, but it IS more intense. It's definitely less intense than Sith. I think he can probably handle it since some of the "mature" themes will go over his head unnoticed, and because he does have a very good handle on real vs. make believe.

A small part of the concern is I don't want to sit there having people judging my parenting. Though at my screening last week there were a handful of kids definitely younger than 6.

Thoughts?

(I'm looking mostly for opinions from people with children or with otherwise relevant viewpoints; I'm not looking for armchair parenting judgments.)

My son is almost 4 and LOVES Star Wars. He has seen 4, 5, 1, and 2. He got upset when Anakin left his mother in TPM. I skipped over Shmi's death and the ensuing Tusken slaughter.

I'll show him Jedi (though it's likely he'll find the emperor creepy), but I think RoTS would be too much. Starting with the Dooku beheading and ending with Anakin's dismemberment... though during Clones, he said, "look, they broke Boba Fett's head off. That's a bad boo boo." And wasn't distressed. He doesn't have much understanding of death yet.

I'm inclined to say TFA isn't drastically more intense than ESB, but it IS more intense. It's definitely less intense than Sith. I think he can probably handle it since some of the "mature" themes will go over his head unnoticed, and because he does have a very good handle on real vs. make believe.

A small part of the concern is I don't want to sit there having people judging my parenting. Though at my screening last week there were a handful of kids definitely younger than 6.

Thoughts?
You shouldn't let this be part of the deciding process. I'd say if he can handle the original trilogy, he should be good. I'd say the Force vision is the most intense thing in the movie and that's nothing too extreme.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Thoughts?
If he's seen Empire, he'll be fine

Thoughts?

No one will judge. Have them wear some SW gear so people know they're fans already. My kids are 7 and 9, and I paid pretty close attention to the violence. Han was impaled below frame, and everything else was pretty much og A-Team style deaths where people just fall to the ground. There are two scenes with blood, but not gushing from a hole or anything. Poe's mind probe may be the most intense part. I may cover a 4 yr old's eyes for that.

Chilikar

Thoughts?

Personally, if I were a parent, I would be most concerned about my kid learning Ren's behaviour. He has a tendency to throw tantrums when things don't go right, and I would hate it if my kids learned from that. That being said your kids seem relatively unaffected by these things, so I say go for it! Just make sure they don't talk throughout the movie and it'll be fine, nobody will judge.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
is Ben named after Obi Wan? Han knows the guy for a few hours and leia only briefly sees him from a hundred yards while he gets killed.
I guess he did save all their lives in the process though.

My name is Ben. First time I saw TFA I nearly jumped out of my seat at the way Ford yelled it.
haha.

I liked the tragic reveal of the name. I am glad I didn't know his actual name before seeing it even if I knew he was Han and Leia's and that Han was about to eat it. One of the best deliveries in the movie.

mcfrank

My main takeaway from my third viewing is how goddamn good Daisy Ridleys performance is. Her read of "you're afraid you'll never be is as powerful as Darth Vader" is amazing.

sphagnum

Banned
is Ben named after Obi Wan? Han knows the guy for a few hours and leia only briefly sees him from a hundred yards while he gets killed.
I guess he did save all their lives in the process though.

Probably Leia's choice to honor him since he served Bail in the Clone Wars.

Kind of off topic but is anyone else really curious about the Star Wars game Visceral has been working on now?

Think it will revolve around one of the story characters in the film or a completely new one?

televator

Anakin is literally Jesus? The force created Anakin in reprisal of Palpatine and Plagueis' attempts to create a being using the force itself?

Another good reason for Rey to hopefully not be Luke's daughter, but I'm getting the impression it just makes it more likely. Like, right now, Luke is the first king of England or something. How stupid.

Why is that so off putting? SW always had religious overtones that borrow from real mythology.

firelogic

Daughter or former student of Luke's confirmed? Also noticed on third viewing that Luke had tears in his left eye

Looks like it. And she was apparently being tempted by the dark side during the last fight. So some fan theories that Rey will go dark and Ren will go light holds a little more water?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Also I researched ANH tonight and noticed uncle Owen say that there would be "hell to pay" if Luke wasn't back by mid day. Simone earlier in this thread or a previous one complained about Finn's "hell no" and said it didn't have a place in Star Wars. lol

Also I researched ANH tonight and noticed uncle Owen say that there would be "hell to pay" if Luke wasn't back by mid day. Simone earlier in this thread or a previous one complained about Finn's "hell no" and said it didn't have a place in Star Wars. lol

Hell and damn are throughout the OT.

OraleeWey

Just saw the movie today. So I'm sorry for missing out on three threads, but I avoided them obviously for spoiler related issues.

Is Rey Luke Skywalker's daughter? I got a vide the entire time.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Just saw the movie today. So I'm sorry for missing out on three threads, but I avoided them obviously for spoiler related issues.

The movie wants you to believe she's a Skywalker but no one is really sure. It could all just be red herrings and she could be a Solo, Kenobi or someone totally new.

OraleeWey

The movie wants you to believe she's a Skywalker but no one is really sure. It could all just be red herrings and she could be a Solo, Kenobi or someone totally new.

What about the strong force she had in her, or how the sword called out to her, etc? I think it's a definite hint. Who knows? We'll have to wait and see.

televator

That seems to be the most probable thing, yeah. The movie directs the viewer that way for sure. The saber, the timing of events, R2 waking as soon as she lands, the ambiguous talk of her feeling that she already knows the truth and what she seeks lies ahead.

Plus the marketing outside the movie implied it."The Force is strong in my family..."

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
You thought Chew's shot was a dud.

lol

I was giving them the benefit of the doubt. Obviously they didn't think it through, like almost everything else. Of course, Disney has to take a lot of the blame. They set an unrealistic timetable and JJ had to slap together any old shit to have something to shoot.

Tbh, I would kind of like for her to be a random, but it seems that Rey being Luke's daughter is the easiest, most apparent explanation.

OraleeWey

That seems to be the most probable thing, yeah. The movie directs the viewer that way for sure. The saber, the timing of events, R2 waking as soon as she lands, the ambiguous talk of her feeling that she already knows the truth and what she seeks lies ahead.

Plus the marketing outside the movie implied it."The Force is strong in my family..."
Yeah, honestly.
Tbh, I would kind of like for her to be a random, but it seems that Rey being Luke's daughter is the easiest, most apparent explanation.

I don't really care how it goes. I really enjoyed the movie a lot.

The amazing shot of Poe Dameron aiding Finn in the battle was simply amazing. What an amazing shot. I was fortunate enough to see it in 70mm.

Also, I just noticed that Oscar Isaac who played Poe Dameron in SW-VII played Nathan in Ex Machina. I just saw that movie like 48 hours ago!

Yeah, honestly.

I don't really care how it goes. I really enjoyed the movie a lot.

The amazing shot of Poe Dameron aiding Finn in the battle was simply amazing. What an amazing shot. I was fortunate enough to see it in 70mm.

Also, I just noticed that Oscar Isaac who played Poe Dameron in SW-VII played Nathan in Ex Machina. I just saw that movie like 48 hours ago!

I might watch the 2010 Robin Hood just for Isaac.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Made this myself.

Cant believe I actually remembered that line from MW2.
Eee9mh8.jpg

I've been thinking s lot about the motivations of creating the first film. In hindsight, bringing JJ on was because they wanted a soft reboot sequel. They wanted Star Trek 09. There's nothing wrong with that but it's interesting to note the big shot and the ripples that follow.

I imagine the entire script started with a simple question.

What if Leia had made it to ObiWan?

So in OT speak a very similar setup would have happened. Stormtroopers Attack Obi Wans house, Vader lands and has his battle at the beginning, and R2D2/C3PO are programmed with the coordinates to Yoda, given Luke's Lightsaber, and sent to his farm. Luke takes the droids into town to wipe their memory, gets tangled up with Han saving his life, Han takes Luke home, Skeleton Relatives, Luke convinces Han to take him to Yoda, Yoda trains, Yoda feels destruction of Alderan and sends Luke to Yarvin 4 to warn the rebels. 2 fold death star infiltration and destruction culminating with a semi trained Luke fighting Vader.

I like the idea that history repeats. Luke failed, so someone just to try. Trust in the wisdom of Space Magic.

aliengmr

Thoughts?

Taking my five year old tomorrow.

I don't think its too bad. Though I my bring some sort of ear protection, might be a little loud for him. He also hasn't seen any Star Wars movies yet, which is a story for another time.

Take him, I wouldn't judge.

Burt

This is so, so marvelous.

Just going all the way in.

Disregarding existing canon and telling these people to GTFO was the smartest thing Disney ever did.

Lamel

Banned

"Emperor palpatine surgical reconstruction center"

Fucking dead.

Edit: BUDGETARY RESTRAINTS LOL

And vader yelling "oh fuck" as he falls at the end got me so bad.

Top Bottom