• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Veelk

Banned
What I don't get is why the lightsaber is the ideal weapon for force users. You'd a guy who could magically place bullseye shots with a blaster would be more effective than someone who has the same abilities with a big glowy stick.

Rootbeer

Banned
...and we're all forgetting General Grevious.

Yeah there's that too, and you can again come up with explainations for why he's able to do it so well. Like that he's almost entirely a cyborg so he probably has programming that makes sure he doesn't hurt himself with the blades, something an ordinary lifeform is not so safe against.
What I don't get is why the lightsaber is the ideal weapon for force users. You'd a guy who could magically place bullseye shots with a blaster would be more effective than someone who has the same abilities with a big glowy stick.
It's both offensive and defensive. In a galaxy where most weapons shoot blaster bolts it lets them block almost all distance attacks. And obviously has pretty insane power within melee range too. Oh and let's not forget that they just look and sound cool.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Just got back from seeing it. Was so hard to stay away from the Internet this whole time. But I managed to go in blind and spoiler free.

I like what I've read in here so far. Rey is exciting. My first thought were that she is mkst definitely Luke's child but I like the angle that she doesn't need to be. That the Skywalker storyline could be done and the force still lives on.

I got thinking about why Luke has isolated himself.

I'm thinking that Luke was training Kylo and lost him to the temptation of the darkside. That's simple. He left his life and his tools (light saber) behind and went into isolation.
Feels regret. Frustration. Whole lotta feels going on.

But what if Kylo had to become dark? What the balance of the force works both ways. Darth and the Emporer were killed. Luke was left as the lone Jedi and was strong light side. The force demands and creates balance. Luke is training Kylo and the force pulls him because he has to be pulled.
The whole cant have light without darkness.

And what if the reason the force chose Rey and that she was so ready to be a tool for the force (she wasn't "using" the force as much as the force was using her) was that Luke's isolation created a vacancy/vacuum on the light side of the force.
Is that what Obi One Kenobi did as well? Was it planned?

It's because Jedi are all about defense, not offense.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Cus that'd be boring and lightsabers are the coolest weapons in cinema.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Then get a laser shield, because a sword is an offensive weapon, as demonstrated by the number of kills everyone gets with it.

But isn't the force itself a shield? Kylo Ren stopped a blaster bolt in mid flight and just left it there.
If that is possible wouldn't a Jedi vs Jedi battle be pretty ineffective with blasters?

Finally saw this last night.

I had heard that it's basically a remake of A New Hope, but holy shit, it's basically a retelling of New Hope.

At first it was charming, but eventually got kind of ridiculous. At some point I got so caught up in noticing the similarities that I was kinda taken out of the film.

I liked the look, tone and performances of the film though. Definitely a good start.

Question: how does the 'new' Empire relate to the old one? Did they explain that? What are the differences? Why are there still Stormtroopers?

Johndoey

Banned
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

But isn't the force itself a shield? Kylo Ren stopped a blaster bolt in mid flight and just left it there.
If that is possible wouldn't a Jedi vs Jedi battle be pretty ineffective with blasters?
Its all about focus I mean its not like a force user couldn't pull a saber out of someones hand or halt a swing with the force. Blasters seem more useful overall.

It's a badge of office as much as a weapon. See a dude with a sabre on his belt, you are not going to question them.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Figured I'd throw this in here instead of the review thread, Anita Sarkeesian put up a review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4mA_rIeBAQ

She liked the film but had a lot of issues with it
Reasonable enough review.
I expect she gets tons of hate for it because reasons.

Rule of Cool, dude. ;)

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Finally saw this last night.

I had heard that it's basically a remake of A New Hope, but holy shit, it's basically a retelling of New Hope.

At first it was charming, but eventually got kind of ridiculous. At some point I got so caught up in noticing the similarities that I was kinda taken out of the film.

I liked the look, tone and performances of the film though. Definitely a good start.

Question: how does the 'new' Empire relate to the old one? Did they explain that? What are the differences? Why are there still Stormtroopers?

Storm troopers are just soldiers. Every army needs soldiers.

Stopping blaster bolts in mid air doesn't seem to be something every force sensitive can do. Or extracting information from people's minds.

"What's in there?"
"Only what you take with you."

It's also not a remake of Star Wars.

Well it's not technically a remake due to the fact that some of the original characters in it.

But c'mon, it mimics A New Hope almost scene for scene, so much so that it becomes distracting.

Storm troopers are just soldiers. Every army needs soldiers.

Okay, fine. So IS there any relation between the New Empire and Old Empire? Did the movie tell us any of that? They seemed remarkably similar, down to the way they dressed.

Honestly wondering if I missed something here...

Well it's not technically a remake due to the fact that some of the original characters in it.

But c'mon, it mimics A New Hope almost scene for scene, so much so that it becomes distracting.

The first act is pretty similar, but on the whole, it pulls a lot of story elements from Empire and Return as well. I believe Bobby has likened it to a greatest hits version of the OT, which I wholly agree with.

Okay, fine. So IS there any relation between the New Empire and Old Empire? Did the movie tell us any of that? They seemed remarkably similar, down to the way they dressed.

It's initially formed from the remnants of the Empire in secret, so yeah. They're effectively Empire 2.0.

SinShep

Nothing outright said in the film, but I think the general consensus is that they're reorganized remnants of the Old Empire, now without the reach across the galaxy that they used to have.

Not

Banned
If you go into a movie expecting a negative attribute, the negative attribute is very often all you'll take away from it. Self-fulfilling prophecy. Ruins the movie before you even see it.

Angel_DvA

My new ranking :

ESB..>ANH> TFA=ROTJ............................>ROTS>TPM....>AOTC.

I don't know where to put The Clone War and Rebel on it but TCW>Rebels.

-griffy-

Banned

There is no Empire anymore. The opening crawl explains that the First Order was born out of the remnants of the Empire, and that Leia leads the Resistance with the support of the Republic. During Hux's space Nazi speech before they blow up the Hosnian system, he explains further that the Republic needs to suffer because though they publicly pretend to be peaceful, they secretly support Leia and her horrible Resistance, so the First Order is blowing up the Republic's senate and Fleet so they can take over themselves, and they are also looking for Luke since he is the last Jedi, and therefore last remnant of the Light side in the galaxy.

So essentially, after Return of the Jedi and the Rebels defeated the Empire, a new Republic took peaceful rule of the galaxy. The remnants of the Empire formed the First Order. Leia knew they were probably up to no good even though publicly/politically everyone was being cool, so she formed the Resistance, being essentially a small, independent branch with Republic support to keep tabs on the First Order. The First Order in TFA is essentially Russia or North Korea. Everyone tries to act like everyone is cool when they get together at the UN/galactic senate, and the general populace just kind of ignores them, but really we know they are up to shady shit.

It was kind of amazing how much more stuff I picked up on with my second viewing yesterday. I was so swept up in all the NEW STAR WARS the first time around that I just missed a lot of the actual basic content of certain scenes. (Also movie is fucking great in IMAX. That Falcon/Jakku escape filling up the screen was great, and though the 3D was largely just kind of there, it was pretty-fucking-amazing when the X-wings did their first bombing run at the end, with that long shot that followed them all the way down to the surface through the explosions)

Nothing outright said in the film, but I think the general consensus is that they're reorganized remnants of the Old Empire, now without the reach across the galaxy that they used to have.

It's the second sentence of the opening crawl:
Luke Skywalker has vanished. In his absence, the sinister FIRST ORDER has risen from the ashes of the Empire and will not rest until Skywalker, the last Jedi, has been destroyed.

With the support of the REPUBLIC, General Leia Organa leads a brave RESISTANCE. She is desperate to find her brother Luke and gain his help in restoring peace and justice to the galaxy.

Leia has sent her most daring pilot on a secret mission to Jakku, where an old ally has discovered a clue to Luke’s whereabouts…

sphagnum

Banned

After the Battle of Jakku, the Empire and the New Republic signed the Galactic Concordance, which severely limited the Empire's military capabilities and forced them to pay massive reparations. This led to the Empire withering away as member states abandoned it to join the New Republic. Hardliners and fanatics abandoned the core as the Empire slowly died and fled to the Unknown Regions where they set up the First Order. They've been secretly (sometimes not-so-secretly) rebuilding their military capabilities and creating a new army of Stormtroopers that are supposed to take the best of both Republic Clonetroopers and Imperial Stormtroopers - loyalty due to training from birth and genetic diversity that allows them to have different skills and keeps them from being susceptible to the same pathogens. That system was set up by Brendol Hux, the father of General Hux, who had been the commandant at the Empire's Arkanis Acadmey.

You know, TMP can also stand for "The Menacing Power", which was the first chapter in an old film called "The Phantom Creeps". Hmm...Phantom....Menace.
i got this all from james rolfe btw lol

prag16

Banned
"What's in there?"
"Only what you take with you."

Yeah... keep coming back to something along these lines when I read all the negative reactions. People are allowed different opinions and to like different things, etc etc. But most of the negative takes seem to come from people that evidently walked into the theater toting a ton of baggage. :(

Angel_DvA

The Mantom Phenace.

;)

Lmao, saw it to late, I changed it ^^

@All

I don't think Rey will keep Luke saber laser in next episodes, I think she gonna make her own one like Luke did in ROTJ at the end of her training or maybe after Luke death, a double-bladed one would be amazing.

Daemul

Pre Vizsla used a lightsaber (the darksaber) to fight fairly well but he may have spent time training with it. So we do have canon material of characters using them as weapons that were not force users.

Meh, Pre Vizsla fought as well as you could ever hope a non force user to fight with a Lightsaber. He clearly lacked the finesse of the Jedi/Sith and it showed whenever he went up against one of them, Obi Wan made him look like a joke.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Just got back from seeing it. Was so hard to stay away from the Internet this whole time. But I managed to go in blind and spoiler free.

I like what I've read in here so far. Rey is exciting. My first thought were that she is mkst definitely Luke's child but I like the angle that she doesn't need to be. That the Skywalker storyline could be done and the force still lives on.

I got thinking about why Luke has isolated himself.

I'm thinking that Luke was training Kylo and lost him to the temptation of the darkside. That's simple. He left his life and his tools (light saber) behind and went into isolation.
Feels regret. Frustration. Whole lotta feels going on.

But what if Kylo had to become dark? What the balance of the force works both ways. Darth and the Emporer were killed. Luke was left as the lone Jedi and was strong light side. The force demands and creates balance. Luke is training Kylo and the force pulls him because he has to be pulled.
The whole cant have light without darkness.

And what if the reason the force chose Rey and that she was so ready to be a tool for the force (she wasn't "using" the force as much as the force was using her) was that Luke's isolation created a vacancy/vacuum on the light side of the force.
Is that what Obi One Kenobi did as well? Was it planned?

I thought of exactly the same premise. That the force is trying to stay balanced, and since Luke isolated himself an awakening occurred. It would basically be a slow fresh start to repopulating the galaxy with force users. But I would assume that the next movies will try to do away with the hard notion of Sith/Jedi dark/light side, and the first Jedi temple probably plays into that. So another way for the force to be balanced is for people to not be hung on one or the other side of the force.

Kitbash

He left his life and his tools (light saber) behind and went into isolation.
Keep in mind, the lightsaber that gets passed around in TFA is Anakin's -- the one Luke lost (along with his hand) in Cloud City. There's nothing to suggest he went off into isolation without his latest lightsaber.

Top Bottom