• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

dyergram

Just got back from watching haven't had time to fully digest but I fucking loved this movie. Also I got a bit chocked up at couple of points lol made the mistake of thinking about my dad not getting to it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Just got back from seeing it. Was so hard to stay away from the Internet this whole time. But I managed to go in blind and spoiler free.

I like what I've read in here so far. Rey is exciting. My first thought were that she is mkst definitely Luke's child but I like the angle that she doesn't need to be. That the Skywalker storyline could be done and the force still lives on.

I got thinking about why Luke has isolated himself.

I'm thinking that Luke was training Kylo and lost him to the temptation of the darkside. That's simple. He left his life and his tools (light saber) behind and went into isolation.
Feels regret. Frustration. Whole lotta feels going on.

But what if Kylo had to become dark? What the balance of the force works both ways. Darth and the Emporer were killed. Luke was left as the lone Jedi and was strong light side. The force demands and creates balance. Luke is training Kylo and the force pulls him because he has to be pulled.
The whole cant have light without darkness.

And what if the reason the force chose Rey and that she was so ready to be a tool for the force (she wasn't "using" the force as much as the force was using her) was that Luke's isolation created a vacancy/vacuum on the light side of the force.
Is that what Obi One Kenobi did as well? Was it planned?

Yeah, I thought about it too, I think also wrote something around it earlier in this thread. It's even stated in the first dialog in the movie that there is a lack of balance in the Force and a new jedi must appear, which means that Luke being "retired" created a vacuum on the light side. Like the reason for Anakin to appear and turn dark was the too much power that the light side had at that point.

It was kind of amazing how much more stuff I picked up on with my second viewing yesterday. I was so swept up in all the NEW STAR WARS the first time around that I just missed a lot of the actual basic content of certain scenes. (Also movie is fucking great in IMAX. That Falcon/Jakku escape filling up the screen was great, and though the 3D was largely just kind of there, it was pretty-fucking-amazing when the X-wings did their first bombing run at the end, with that long shot that followed them all the way down to the surface through the explosions)

Yeah. the second viewing is so much better, without the whole hype and even doubt that goes in with you the first time.

The flying parts are really great seen at IMAX 3d, breathtaking. That star destroyer show, pure beauty.

Yeah, I thought about it too, I think also wrote something around it earlier in this thread. It's even stated in the first dialog in the movie that there is a lack of balance in the Force and a new jedi must appear, which means that Luke being "retired" created a vacuum on the light side. Like the reason for Anakin to appear and turn dark was the too much power that the light side had at that point.

Yeah. the second viewing is so much better, without the whole hype and even doubt that goes in with you the first time.

The flying parts are really great seen at IMAX 3d, breathtaking. That star destroyer show, pure beauty.

Was Poe's flashy flying where he took out a bunch of tie fighters a 3D moment? I see a lot of people rave about it, but it looked like really bad and floaty CG to me.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Was Poe's flashy flying where he took out a bunch of tie fighters a 3D moment? I see a lot of people rave about it, but it looked like really bad and floaty CG to me.

Most of the flying sequences (if not all) were nicely done in 3d, as I remember. I can say now for sure, as I just saw it yesterday in 2d (the second viewing), so my most recent memory is 2d now.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Anyone else have the immediate thought when Kylo Ren took his helmet off and spoke that he was basically JP from grandma's boy? Really, really can't stand him as a villain now.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You will not talk about how Daisy Ridley looks again. *waves fingers*

You will get me a diet coke. *waves fingers*

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
You will get me a diet coke. *waves fingers*

No, I won't.
latest

(but the Daisy stuff is comprende)

televator

Really enjoyed this.

I hope that Rey's parents are never revealed or are insignificant.

This really would be a problem if she's just a random nobody. How did a random nobody even stand a chance to the inheritor of the most powerful force bloodline? The grand son of the man created by the force itself is thrashed by a random average Jane Jedi apprentice barely getting off the training wheels.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
This really would be a problem if she's just a random nobody. How did a random nobody even stand a chance to the inheritor of the most powerful force bloodline? The grand son of the man created by the force itself is thrashed by a random average Jane Jedi apprentice barely getting off the training wheels.

This is pretty much why me and a number of people have a problem with her being a direct Skywalker if that's the case.

robochimp

What I don't get is why the lightsaber is the ideal weapon for force users. You'd a guy who could magically place bullseye shots with a blaster would be more effective than someone who has the same abilities with a big glowy stick.

Sword fighting is far more dramatic on film than a blaster fight. Both combatants can be in the same frame. Add in laser and sound effects and you now have the ideal weapon for force users.

People can be talented without being the children of famous Force users. Chewbacca nearly killed Kylo and he's a random nobody.

-griffy-

Banned

I don't know, that kind of fits the main theme of Star Wars, and the one that Abrams talked about a lot as inspiring him as a kid and what he repeatedly talked about wanting to recapture in this new film, doesn't it? That aspirational idea that anyone, no matter how seemingly insignificant, has the capacity to do great things if they strive for it. The Force is all around, all you have to do is just let it in!

It's specifically why they made Rey just a scavenger, rather than a princess or something else "important" to start with, so if they go even further and have her not be a Skywalker by blood then it's only hitting that idea even harder.

Y2Kev

Is it kind of weird to call the Resistance a "resistance" in this movie? They're basically an anti-First Order force, right (and are apparently unofficially sanctioned by the Republic)? The Republic doesn't have much of a presence in the movie, which I guess is odd-- I feel oddly devastated that they got wiped out, but given the title crawl and their general impotence, they didn't seem to do much anyway.

(I really enjoyed the movie but I'm just posting things I thought of.)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

What if she's created also by the force itself?

Is it kind of weird to call the Resistance a "resistance" in this movie? They're basically an anti-First Order force, right (and are apparently unofficially sanctioned by the Republic)? The Republic doesn't have much of a presence in the movie, which I guess is odd-- I feel oddly devastated that they got wiped out, but given the title crawl and their general impotence, they didn't seem to do much anyway.

Yeah, the Resistance is a bit strange in relation to how this term was used in our history. I think they just tried to find something similar to the Rebels, to keep the line.

I wonder who will rule the galaxy with the new Republic wiped out?

televator

This is pretty much why me and a number of people have a problem with her being a direct Skywalker if that's the case.

So it's best to just ignore it? Nah, at least let the new trilogy have some logical consistency. If she ain't a Skywalker, then she needs some kind of boost, some kind of explanation for her way above normal abilities. Maybe she's another anomaly of the force? At least that would make sense within the series logic.

What if she's created also by the force itself?

As I stated above that would be preferable to her just being "insignificant".

I guess I need to brush up on my lore. I didn't remember that Anakin was created by the force. That was in the prequel trilogy? I only watched the OT in preparation for TFA.

Also Ren was thrashed because he was injured and trying to capture her alive. I still think that Rey s could and should be a new force user.

I won't complain if she is a Skywalker, mind, I just think it would be more interesting if she were random. If the force is a living thing, it could have made her so strong to provide balance. Doesn't necessarily have to be through one bloodline only.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I will complain if she's a Skywalker. :D

Practically that would mean the Skywalkers should never be allowed to procreate again, without them the Galaxy can finally find the much desired peace.

I wonder if Resistance even has any large fleet of any sort. I would assume that most of the Rebel Alliance's larger vessels were absorbed into the New Republic.

Boke1879

I guess I need to brush up on my lore. I didn't remember that Anakin was created by the force. That was in the prequel trilogy? I only watched the OT in preparation for TFA.

Also Ren was thrashed because he was injured and trying to capture her alive. I still think that Rey s could and should be a new force user.

I won't complain if she is a Skywalker, mind, I just think it would be more interesting if she were random. If the force is a living thing, it could have made her so strong to provide balance. Doesn't necessarily have to be through one bloodline only.

in TPM Shmi says Anakin had no father. Qui Gon makes a comment that Anakin may have been conceived of the Force. Which is where they get the whole idea of him being the one to bring balance to the force.

in ROTS when Palpatine is talking to Anakin in the theater he tells Anakin the story of Darth Plageuis the Wise. Who was so powerful he could manipulate the force to create life.

Many people connect that story to Anakin.

Y2Kev

Yeah, I'm sort of confused as to why I feel the way I feel about the Republic. With ANH, when Alderaan gets it, you really feel it because of the emotional connection to Leia. Here, not really...I mean, the Republic obviously sucks and isn't even really tied to any particular character. Why do I feel that dramatic tug? Is it because you genuinely wonder for the future of the galaxy and what will fill that power vacuum? Is this informed by modern, current events in our world? Not sure!

sphagnum

Banned

Anakin was a virgin birth, which is what made Qui-Gon speculate that he was created by the Force itself and therefore the Chosen One. The old EU made it explicit that Anakin was created by the Force in reaction to Plagueis trying to manipulate it to create a living being to demonstrate his mastery over it. That has now been wiped out with the canon purge, but the implication is kind of still there in the Tarkin book where Palpatine recalls Plagueis telling him that "The Force can strike back" if you push too far.

zsynqx

Yeah, the Resistance is a bit strange in relation to how this term was used in our history. I think they just tried to find something similar to the Rebels, to keep the line.

I wonder who will rule the galaxy with the new Republic wiped out?

Has it been confirmed which planets got blown up and was the city one Coruscant?

Snake

Yes, this is the exact idea that will drive Kylo Ren off the deep end. And it's why he will fail.

After all, how could the most powerful force user ever, who was conceived by the force itself, ever lose to some no name Kenobi guy?

televator

She was able to best him before that though. In the interrogation room. She totally mopped the floor with his force mind powers. There's also the issue of having a good grasp of some force abilities with what had to be very little training. It implies that she has a more intrinsic connection to the force than the average peasant.

televator

After all, how could the most powerful force user ever, who was conceived by the force itself, ever lose to some no name Kenobi guy?

Like I said: Let the new trilogy have some logical consistency with this. But to be fair Kenobi's quality is well known. He wasn't just a random nobody by the time he confronted Anakin, so at least he could stand a chance and go a few rounds.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
She was able to best him before that though. In the interrogation room. She totally mopped the floor with his force mind powers. There's also the issue of having a good grasp of some force abilities with what had to be very little training. It implies that she has a more intrinsic connection to the force than the average peasant.

She's a very good student. Maybe it's her survival on Jakku that helped her develop that capability of learning fast by watching others doing. I mean she was very little when she was dropped on Jakku and the only education she got after that is what she studied on her own and learned from the others.

As for the force, Kylo is a great teacher. He shows her all this wonderful case studies on how to use the force and she grasp it immediately.

-griffy-

Banned
Like I said: Let the new trilogy have some logical consistency with this.

All these instances you are pointing out are less about Rey literally having more Force Training credits on her resume or having a higher Force Power Score, and more about Kylo being an extremely powerful force user who is also a complete fucking mess in this movie. Kylo lost the mind reading fight because of his character flaw and fear being exposed to Rey. It was his deficiency that lost him that battle more than it was Rey's raw power or anything like that.

I see. Yet . . . I still hope Rey is a non-Skywalker. If the force randomly created a super powerful person once, why can't it happen again? I just think that would be more interesting. Doesn't mean that Rey has to be the result of a virgin birth, why can't the universe's entropy, or the force's will, create another super-being?

I always found it weird that in a series that takes place across a galaxy, so many main players happen to be related. I'd roll my eyes if Rey is another Skywalker.

Besides, Ren can't be that great if Snoke, who is otherwise unremarkable, is superior and hold influence over him. Ren's Skywalker blood is clearly diluted, so it wouldn't be a shock if a random force user has greater potential and I think it would make for a better story.

Edit: Also, as discussed in a post above, the movie goes out its way to show how Ren is an emotional mess and cannot control or harness his anger. He may be overrated just based on his blood. It's not necessarily true that only another Skywalker could ever defeat him.

prag16

Banned
So was it just me or did it seem like everywhere in the galaxy was about five minutes apart by hyper speed? I don't remember it feeling like that in the original trilogy. I think that was my main complaint with the movie, it just felt... ungrounded because of that.
Hosnian Prime inexplicably being visible from the surface outside Maz's castle.. yeah... what the heck were they thinking with that one.. unless they're officially in the same system.. and it didn't sound that way. Awful.

So was it just me or did it seem like everywhere in the galaxy was about five minutes apart by hyper speed? I don't remember it feeling like that in the original trilogy. I think that was my main complaint with the movie, it just felt... ungrounded because of that.

Some cuts were a bit weird IMO.

1 Second they are flying towards the resistance base and a second later you see Finn coming out of the Falcon. A Scene where the Falcon lands on a Planet would be appreciated.

Same thing happens at the End. You really never see the Falcon landing on a planet lol

sphagnum

Banned
Hosnian Prime inexplicably being visible from the surface outside Maz's castle.. yeah... what the heck were they thinking with that one.. unless they're officially in the same system.. and it didn't sound that way. Awful.

They're nowhere near each other. It's just Abrams wanting to have a visual link for the audience and easy way for the main characters to know what's going on.

Pablo's explanation is that it was some hyperspace wonkery that made it visible.

Some cuts were a bit weird IMO.

1 Second they are flying towards the resistance base and a second later you see Finn coming out of the Falcon. A Scene where the Falcon lands on a Planet would be appreciated.

Same thing happens at the End. You really never see the Falcon landing on a planet lol

Lucas loved his establishing shots with landing ships.

Also I don't think Rey is a complete newbie to the Force, as some have implied. Her crazy feats when flying the Falcon, her super high accuracy with a blaster, and her ability to effortlessly do the Jedi mind trick show that, at the very least, before TFA she was subconsciously aware that she has powers and how to channel them. She also has a very determined will.

It's not too unrealistic for her to out-Force an emotionally unstable and internally conflicted Ren in the interrogation scene under these circumstances. Especially when Ren had probably only ever tried out his mind reading powers against non-Force users.

Zabka

Yeah, I'm sort of confused as to why I feel the way I feel about the Republic. With ANH, when Alderaan gets it, you really feel it because of the emotional connection to Leia. Here, not really...I mean, the Republic obviously sucks and isn't even really tied to any particular character. Why do I feel that dramatic tug? Is it because you genuinely wonder for the future of the galaxy and what will fill that power vacuum? Is this informed by modern, current events in our world? Not sure!

I think it's because it's tied to the original trilogy. The Republic is everything the characters in 4/5/6 fought for and it was destroyed in a very sudden way.

On top of that, Han and Leia's kid is evil, C3PO's got a red arm, and Luke's new Jedi order was annihilated. Depressing stuff.

Brakke

Banned

Yeah the space geography is totally broken.

How did that Starkiller beam cross interstellar distances to kill Hosnia but also approach Hosnia at sublight speed so the Hosnians cower at the sky and see it bearing down on them?

~space magic~

Top Bottom