• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*SPOILERS* The Walking Dead TV show, leaks, and comic book SPOILER discussion thread

UberTag

The only thing is that Carol and Morgan are on a dumb trajectory for their own isolated story completely separate from the main Savior/Negan plot, so it doesn't seem impossible. Especially with the preview stuff where we know that one Savior is following Morgan, and Carol's character assassination has gotten so weird that it is totally plausibly dumb that she would let herself get eaten by a zombie Morgan. I mean, that's the level the show is at right now.
True enough. The fact that said nonsense would even be entertained as plausible shows how bad the writing on the show has gotten... especially in terms of characterization consistency.

Feel free to go PM jurec84 (who has watched the finale a number of times for translation purposes) if you guys have questions.
"Does Zombie Morgan eat Carol after she kills him during the finale?" See, that's not so hard.

I think another problem I will have(outside of the cliffhanger itself)is if they don't show the swings/blows to the head. Make it brutal. If I have to wait until season 7, at least make the death itself awesome.

Surfinn

There were rumours on Reddit that the following characters die in the season finale
Morgan, Carol and Glenn.

And yeah, i thought it was a foiler, but now it seems quite possible

Death details

Carol kills morgan, Carol lets herself get killed by zombie morgan, glenn gets lucile

I'm still taking it with a grain of salt, but i wont competly rule out the possibility.

Wouldn't put it past them to put a cherry on the cake of destroying all the character development they've worked towards with Carol for 6 seasons. Just disgustingly shameful writing.

This "everyone can change and be saved" bull has gotten completely out of control.

I think another problem I will have(outside of the cliffhanger itself)is if they don't show the swings/blows to the head. Make it brutal. If I have to wait until season 7, at least make the death itself awesome.

One of my favorite moments from that scene from the comics was that panel or two before Negan dealt the finishing blow, and you saw Glenn in the condition he was in from that beating. You just couldn't believe they would do such an old main stay like that. It reminded the audience that any/everyone was expendable.

Its ironic that if its Aaron, this scene will have the exact opposite effect that the comic version did; the notion that main characters are wearing super heavy plot armor will be reinforced even further.

Surfinn

One of my favorite moments from that scene from the comics was that panel or two before Negan dealt the finishing blow, and you saw Glenn in the condition he was in from that beating. You just couldn't believe they would do such an old main stay like that. It reminded the audience that any/everyone was expendable.

Its ironic that if its Aaron, this scene will have the exact opposite effect that the comic version did; the notion that main characters are wearing super heavy plot armor will be reinforced even further.

Yup. Super iconic and incredibly emotional issue. Which leads me to believe they'll do everything in their power to stifle its impact.

I'll wait for the fan edit that splices the baseball bat scene from Inglorious Basterds into the finale. Photoshop Negan's face onto Donny "The Bear Jew" Donowitz.

Yup. Super iconic and incredibly emotional issue. Which leads me to believe they'll do everything in their power to stifle its impact.

They seem to be so scared of rehashing the comic, and so focused on making it new and heartbreaking for comic readers. Like, guys, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Why tinker with the most iconic seen in the book's run?

I wonder if Aaron being picked instead of Glenn would piss of the LGBT community as much as (the 100 spoiler)
Lexa's death
did?

Well everything is coming together to fit with my theory that the showrunners are total cowards. If it does end up being Aaron, then I've lost all hope for the show and doubt they'd even kill Tobin during the war.

Fact is, it needs to be Daryl who dies. It's the only death that makes total emotional and narrative sense, fuck the fan boys and girls. If you are only watching for Daryl the showrunners should want to dare you to keep watching.

Not only that but I think the war is going to be total shit and only minors will die, and maybe Abe too. If they really cared about this show (or want to be respected by critics and people who know what they are talking about when it comes to narrative) they need to make it "Come and See" levels of fucked up next season. I'm not saying the Saviors need to lock 70% of the Alexandria/Hill Top people, including main cast members, in a barn and light it on fire, but it would help the show a hell of a lot if they did.

And Christ I'm posting more about show I only kinda like more than Better Call Saul, a show I genuinely think is fucking brilliant. The story telling of this show just really gets under my skin for some reason.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Tbh if they fuck up the Negan scene I'll probably stop watching the show. Comic is more than enough for me.

LowParry

I think I'm just going to wait until Sunday, see the episode, and either quit or nod that it was a good episode. If anything else comes up during week, I guess I'll get a good surprise Sunday.

I think they're hoping the 10-15 minutes that JDM has in the finale will be so compelling, you'll be more than willing to deal with the bs cliffhanger.

maybe well get lucky and mass backlash from the LBGT community will make Negan kill someone else instead
i mean after threatening to leave Georgia of the anti gay bill theyd look like huge hypocrites if they kill off the only remaining gay character
There's other gay characters on the show

Oh God if it ends the way we think it will....TD is going to be even more unbearable than usual.

I bet Hardwick would cry...

Hardwick does seem to cater to the crowd who think the show is about real people that are actually dealing with a zombie apocalypse.

I cringe every time the guy has an actor on who "died" on the show and he has to spend a ridiculous amount of time assuring the audience that the actor is OK.

Archer

I refused to read beyond issue 103 after Negan's action. Fuck Kirkman. If they do what I think will happen, the show is also rekt to me.

Spizz

Banned
Watch them end the episode on a cliffhanger, and then draw it out all the way until the next midseason finale, haha. Want to know more about Dwight and his history? Watch this! You guys wondering about Carol? Here's a whole episode devoted towards her! Hell, anyone wondering what Tobin was up to during this time? Here you go!

Then the midseason finale is just the uncut final scene from next week's episode.
You joke (I think :p) but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Surfinn

Watch them end the episode on a cliffhanger, and then draw it out all the way until the next midseason finale, haha. Want to know more about Dwight and his history? Watch this! You guys wondering about Carol? Here's a whole episode devoted towards her! Hell, anyone wondering what Tobin was up to during this time? Here you go!

Then the midseason finale is just the uncut final scene from next week's episode.

I can totally see this happen, lol.

lol why would carol even kill morgan ?

Yeah.. wouldn't that contradict all of this "character development" she's had recently?

I refused to read beyond issue 103 after Negan's action. Fuck Kirkman. If they do what I think will happen, the show is also rekt to me.

I respect this! While you are missing out on an amazing story, this is the kind of visceral reaction the show should be striving to provoke.

TaterTots

Banned
If it's Aaron I'm done watching the show. Main characters are officially wearing armor now. It's no fun. Carol is a fan favorite. If she is going to be killed they should of let Negan do it.

If it's Aaron I'm done watching the show. Main characters are officially wearing armor now. It's no fun. Carol is a fan favorite. If she is going to be killed they should of let Negan do it.

me too
Negan was the whole reason i even returned
if they fuck him up i wish nothing but complete and utter failure for this show
hell i might even just start telling people Aaron was killed if its a cliffhanger out of rage

You know... they could have avoided all of this had they just Lucilled Glenn and then had Negan tease giving the bat to someone else and cliffhangered the end at that point.
Comic fans would be happy. They'd still have the "who gets the bat" next drama. Isn't that a win-win?

He's all over the previews for next week and his involvement next week HAS been 100% confirmed so don't go in expecting him to be invisible.

d0af34f441.png

Just look at him hold that gun as if he knows how to use one.

Of course he is damnit what a safe ending

I feel like the reason they're even doing a cliffhanger is so they can focus test the different scenarios during pre-production, and potentially change their mind before they begin shooting season 7.

I do agree that Daryl should've likely been the prime candidate for the Lucille treatment, for a number of reasons. Daryl has been a security blanket of sorts for the group - tough & able whenever they need someone to be, as well a problem solver when the situation arises. Negan's introduction was meant to shatter the sense of security that the concept of Alexandria had built for the comic audience. Doing that with Daryl would've been poetic, as hes been one of the group's strongest soldiers up to this point.

It's odd how the show gets so indecisive about taking elements from the comic when it wants. Particularly because the things it did give us have, in my opinion, been improvements overall to the comic. I like that we didn't have to deal with some BS serial killer in the jail ( or rather, that they reinterpreted that to be Carol & the flu). Or that Lori died during child-birth and Carl had to put down zombie-Lori. Or that Shane made it all the way to Hershel's farm. Or Morgan's show backstory and how he was reintroduced to the group. Not to mention him becoming unhinged in 'clear' was a better use of the character than the comic.

And even when they do make drastic mistakes in the liberties they do take from the comics (all of Andrea's character arc, Tyreese's show interpretation) I do feel that they do eventually correct some of those missteps. Speaking of which, what is up with Tyreese & Morgan essentially being very similar characters? Tyreese basically adopted this quiet workhorse persona on the show which was unlike his comic counter-part. Then, Tyreese adopts Morgan's current mantra, a full-season before Morgan is reintroduced into the group.

dustyherb

I refuse to believe it's Aaron, like I've said before I really believe he is in the lineup to replace Heath from the comics. As for the cliffhanger yes it's most likely happening but I don't believe that 100% either. It's either 50/50 at this point because if Kirkman, Gimple, and AMC wanted to hide who dies then this is exactly what they want us thinking. They want us freaking out thinking its a cliffhanger, I know exactly what kind of shit Kirkman pulls and this could be the ultimate troll by him, the writers and AMC. I'm fully prepared for a cliffhanger but I'm not giving up hope just yet either.

Now if it really is a cliffhanger and Aaron is the one who dies by Lucille then fuck it whatever. I'll obviously keep watching this show because I've put in 6 years so why would I stop now. But a cliffhanger + Aaron Lucille death would guarantee that the show will never be anywhere close to as good as the comics. Messing up the biggest moment to happen in the comics is a joke.

Normally I'd agree, but most of the leaks/spoilers indicate the scene is done and finished. Whoever it is, (lol, it's gonna be Aaron), it's in the can and not changing before October.

dustyherb

Normally I'd agree, but most of the leaks/spoilers indicate the scene is done and finished. Whoever it is, (lol, it's gonna be Aaron), it's in the can and not changing before October.
They could easily still hide something that didn't have to be subtitled. Like a post credit scene or something. Like I said its most likely a cliffhanger but nothing is 100% till the episode airs.

They could easily still hide something that didn't have to be subtitled. Like a post credit scene or something. Like I said its most likely a cliffhanger but nothing is 100% till the episode airs.

Oh I just meant in response to the post above yours. They're not changing the victim before October, is all. I'd love for there to be a bit of footage that we haven't heard about yet in there.

I feel like the reason they're even doing a cliffhanger is so they can focus test the different scenarios during pre-production, and potentially change their mind before they begin shooting season 7.

I do agree that Daryl should've likely been the prime candidate for the Lucille treatment, for a number of reasons. Daryl has been a security blanket of sorts for the group - tough & able whenever they need someone to be, as well a problem solver when the situation arises. Negan's introduction was meant to shatter the sense of security that the concept of Alexandria had built for the comic audience. Doing that with Daryl would've been poetic, as hes been one of the group's strongest soldiers up to this point.

It's odd how the show gets so indecisive about taking elements from the comic when it wants. Particularly because the things it did give us have, in my opinion, been improvements overall to the comic. I like that we didn't have to deal with some BS serial killer in the jail ( or rather, that they reinterpreted that to be Carol & the flu). Or that Lori died during child-birth and Carl had to put down zombie-Lori. Or that Shane made it all the way to Hershel's farm. Or Morgan's show backstory and how he was reintroduced to the group. Not to mention him becoming unhinged in 'clear' was a better use of the character than the comic.

And even when they do make drastic mistakes in the liberties they do take from the comics (all of Andrea's character arc, Tyreese's show interpretation) I do feel that they do eventually correct some of those missteps. Speaking of which, what is up with Tyreese & Morgan essentially being very similar characters? Tyreese basically adopted this quiet workhorse persona on the show which was unlike his comic counter-part. Then, Tyreese adopts Morgan's current mantra, a full-season before Morgan is reintroduced into the group.
Honestly I felt the same way . Would be smart see the fallout and change it during first shots

Mega

Banned
My dream scenario is that Negan is the Comic Canon reset button and he wipes out everyone that isn't supposed to exist or be alive in the Walking Dead during the war. Daryl, Glenn, Carol, Abraham, Tara, Enid, Sasha (maybe gets a pass because she's sort of like comic book Andrea). That would just about blow everyone the fuck away and redeem the show's stagnation. Pissed off Daryl/Carol/Glenn fanboys be damned.

I could see Glenn "valiantly" dying late next season during the war... by poisoned arrow. A softened death for the soft audiences that watch this show and can't handle their faves dying as brutally as non plot-immune characters.

I think it's safe to assume the whole Lucille scene is already filmed, and whoever died is a done deal, especially since Season 7 is already filming in May.

I think it's safe to assume the whole Lucille scene is already filmed, and whoever died is a done deal, especially since Season 7 is already filming in May.

then a cliffhanger is even more pointless
well find out who died the very next month lol
i wonder if it is Aaron if itll have as much fan backlash as the ME3 ending did?
That and killing 2 gay characters in the same season doesnt seem like a good idea

Surfinn

My dream scenario is that Negan is the Comic Canon reset button and he wipes out everyone that isn't supposed to exist or be alive in the Walking Dead during the war. Daryl, Glenn, Carol, Abraham, Tara, Enid, Sasha (maybe gets a pass because she's sort of like comic book Andrea). That would just about blow everyone the fuck away and redeem the show's stagnation. Pissed off Daryl/Carol/Glenn fanboys be damned.

I could see Glenn "valiantly" dying late next season during the war... by poisoned arrow. A softened death for the soft audiences that watch this show and can't handle their faves dying as brutally as non plot-immune characters.

I agree with this as well (except for only wiping out people not in the comic). We need extreme change; there are too many characters and not enough focused writing for them. They also need to prove to us they're not afraid to do what the comic does constantly.

A new start could work wonders for this show, especially considering Negan's impending arrival.

I was just rereading one of the earlier Negan issues the other day. When Rick tried ambushing Negan at ASZ and fucked it up (this is when Andrea fought with that other Savior in the belltower), did you think Negan was going to bash another head in before Jesus showed up when he had Rick and everyone lined up outside the wall?

I was convinced he would even though in the back of my head I had a feeling they wouldn't go to the Lucille well a second time, but that's the kind of fear the show needs to be cultivating.

then a cliffhanger is even more pointless
well find out who died the very next month lol
i wonder if it is Aaron if itll have as much fan backlash as the ME3 ending did?
That and killing 2 gay characters in the same season doesnt seem like a good idea
Why doesn't it seem like a good idea. The was a ton of death this season. It really shouldn't matter if they are gay.

.....I think we talked about it earlier in this thread.

fauxtrot

Banned
Why doesn't it seem like a good idea. The was a ton of death this season. It really shouldn't matter if they are gay.

Check out the trope called "Kill Your Gays" and then consider the fact that of the 3 out characters that have had any real screen time in the past season or more (the 4th was only used as a tool to show Aaron is gay in the clunkiest way ever), only 1 may be left standing at the end of the season.

No one should be safe, but that doesn't mean that it's perfectly OK to kill off your most prominent gay characters in greater numbers than your other characters. It's similar to "the black guy always dies first" in horror films.

Between the cast talking about the finale, Kirkman and Gimple talking about their love for Negan, and reactions like this:

TnMLJqM.jpg

poVLJR2.jpg

I can't see it being a cliffhanger. Holding out hope for AMC being smart enough to cut the death from the screener to avoid spoilers, which, considering how much else has been spoiled this season and of the finale itself, makes sense

.....I think we talked about it earlier in this thread.

backlash and hes not an important enough character to give a shit
Lucille death needs to be a main character
not some nobody who wasnt even in the 2nd half till the finale
that be like Joker killing some random civy instead of Robin
sure Batman would be mad but he wouldnt care as much

UberTag

Check out the trope called "Kill Your Gays" and then consider the fact that of the 3 out characters that have had any real screen time in the past season or more (the 4th was only used as a tool to show Aaron is gay in the clunkiest way ever), only 1 may be left standing at the end of the season.
Tara and Eric are sticking around for the long haul, my friend. They shall persevere!

Between the cast talking about the finale, Kirkman and Gimple talking about their love for Negan, and reactions like this:

TnMLJqM.jpg

poVLJR2.jpg

I can't see it being a cliffhanger. Holding out hope for AMC being smart enough to cut the death from the screener to avoid spoilers, which, considering how much else has been spoiled this season and of the finale itself, makes sense

Makes equal sense to think he was SCREAMING when it cut to black and he realised he has to wait months (heh) to find out who died

fauxtrot

Banned
Someone's getting Holly'd next season and if it isn't Carol, I'm putting my money on Tara and Heath getting captured on their run, just in time for a "trade"...

In regards to Liefeld's tweets: dude isn't exactly a person I'd put all my trust in regarding the quality of a TV episode (or comics for that matter).

Mega

Banned
What really pisses me off about the last two episodes is how idiotic and unnatural everyone was behaving in light of known danger in their midst.

A couple of years ago I was subscribed to a Youtuber who played the original DayZ mod and he and every other player knew by second nature to do the complete opposite of what the idiots in TWD were doing. Steer clear of big open roads and exposed areas, hide in the brush and beneath trees, take alt paths, observe carefully before proceeding... basically do everything to avoid being easily detected and ambushed by other players. If the people playing a game get it, why wouldn't the hardened, militarized characters in a show that's supposed to be semi-realistic and about surviving?

Top Bottom