• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*SPOILERS* The Walking Dead TV show, leaks, and comic book SPOILER discussion thread

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
It's all but confirmed its Aaron tho right? Like there's no reason to make up that full dummy.

DCX

DCX
Buzz and social conversation, my friend. This reeks of AMC seeing an opportunity to milk a TON of PR and discussion around the episode.

For those of you that are either NBA or Knicks fans, I am consistently never surprised at the terrible decisions AMC makes since they're owned by the Dolan family, the same owners as the Knicks.
Damn...Knicks get ragged on even in a Walking adead topic!

:(

DCX

My hunch right now is that they'll drag it out for the premiere. We'll get a huge back story ep on Negan and Dwight and the Saviors. It'll then jump right back to where we're leaving off next week and they'll actually SHOW us the Lucille victim and a little bit of aftermath... just to rub salt in our wounds. "Here's the episode ending you guys wanted 6 months ago! We're giving it to you now. We just wanted to delve into some of what makes Negan tick first and to string you along for half a year. Enjoy!"

If they do this I'm out, and I have always loved this show. I am willing to defend a lot of bullshit this show has thrown at us but if they do this stupid cliffhanger and don't resolve it at the top of next season, fuck it, I'm done

I mean it's the perfect final kick in the teeth, isn't it? Wait 6 months, draw it out another episode, and it's fucking Aaron. I'm operating with the expectation that it's him.

It'd be bad enough to have a long, drawn out cliffhanger with Negan but I will just have to laugh if all they do is kill off Aaron and not some main cast character. I mean, honestly, most people would probably not even know who Aaron is when/if they kill him off considering how he's basically been absent this whole second half of the season. Then you're going to toss on a 6 month gap on top of that?

It would be like filming the Red Wedding from Game of Thrones and then cutting to black with a cliffhanger to end the season as the Rains of Castemere start playing... only to open up the following season with the Red Wedding to learn that the only thing that happened was some redshirt choked on a chicken bone and spilled his wine.

Tansut

It'd be bad enough to have a long, drawn out cliffhanger with Negan but I will just have to laugh if all they do is kill off Aaron and not some main cast character. I mean, honestly, most people would probably not even know who Aaron is when/if they kill him off considering how he's basically been absent this whole second half of the season. Then you're going to toss on a 6 month gap on top of that?

It would be like filming the Red Wedding and then cutting to black with a cliffhanger to end the season as the Rains of Castemere start playing... only to open up the following season with it to learn that some redshirt choked on a chicken bone.
Seriously. If it's just Aaron people are going to be like "Oh he's just the Governor but with a bat."

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I was always prepared for them to not off Glenn on the show, but I can't say I expected for them to mess with that scene to this extent. I haven't watched the show since season 5, but I'm pretty curious about this cliffhanger situation. It feels so pointless too, it's not like this show is desperate for buzz in any shape or form.

Spizz

Banned
Sigh... Seeing Negan on that promo made me so excited, but then I remember the cliffhanger bullshit and lose all excitement.

someday

Banned
I can't wait to see Sepinwall's reaction next week. I really think they're on the verge of driving large amounts of people away from the show with next week's ending.

Why tonight's 'The Walking Dead' has me on the verge of quitting the show
'East' is full of dumb decisions made in support of a plot not interesting enough to deserve it

This was entertaining. I especially loved this part:
When I'm at a point with a show where all I can see are the narrative strings being pulled by the creative team, and where my view of the characters is so wildly different from that of the writers (who, for instance, can't allow Rick to ever be wrong about anything, even though he's often clearly an idiot), then it's pretty much time to stop watching.

I've felt this way for a long time and it's nice to see someone else feels the same.

Leeness

See...I'm really liking this half season so I'm really not looking forward to the last ten minutes of the finale ruining the enjoyment I'm getting from the show right now :(

Sepinwall's close to articulating how AMC is really commoditizing the show. It's not allowed to have any big moments, any huge deaths, nothing complete. It's a viewer generation machine to them, nothing more.

Spizz

Banned
Sepinwall's close to articulating how AMC is really commoditizing the show. It's not allowed to have any big moments, any huge deaths, nothing complete. It's a viewer generation machine to them, nothing more.
He's going to explode next week; I'm looking forward to his review more than the finale.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
This was entertaining. I especially loved this part:
When I'm at a point with a show where all I can see are the narrative strings being pulled by the creative team, and where my view of the characters is so wildly different from that of the writers (who, for instance, can't allow Rick to ever be wrong about anything, even though he's often clearly an idiot), then it's pretty much time to stop watching.
I've felt this way for a long time and it's nice to see someone else feels the same.
That's a good way to put it, and it's the reason why even when it's enjoyable the show's developments have a hard time feeling organic. It's the creative equivalent of a limp puppet due to how they approach the writing and the viewership.

I can't wait to see Sepinwall's reaction next week. I really think they're on the verge of driving large amounts of people away from the show with next week's ending.

Why tonight's 'The Walking Dead' has me on the verge of quitting the show
'East' is full of dumb decisions made in support of a plot not interesting enough to deserve it

He makes a pretty good point how the whole "cliffhanger" bit with Daryl getting shot in this episode even seemed to have its punch pulled with the extra Dwight dialogue after they cut to black. I mean, what's the point of that "cliffhanger" when they basically say "Oh, he's fine we didn't kill him" about half a second after the supposed "cliffhanger"?

If they seriously cliffhanger Negan's intro and Lucille next week I really hope people rip the showrunners and AMC. That's just shit storytelling.

I don't even get that logic really. TWD seems to be playing it so safe with so many of their main cast for the past couple seasons. Yet on the other hand, look at a show like Game of Thrones where a huge part of its popularity and ability to get people talking is based on how they're so willing to kill off main cast characters. I just don't get it.

That is sort of my issue with TWD in general, TV show and comic. Unlike something like Game of Thrones, that's a story that'll have an end. Whereas the whole TWD universe is something that I'm pretty sure Kirkman has said could just keep going on forever with no end in sight. Which for the TV show especially feeds into what you said about AMC having it play safe and just milk the show for all its worth.

He makes a pretty good point how the whole "cliffhanger" bit with Daryl getting shot in this episode even seemed to have its punch pulled with the extra Dwight dialogue after they cut to black. I mean, what's the point of that "cliffhanger" when they basically say "Oh, he's fine we didn't kill him" about half a second after the supposed "cliffhanger"?

If they seriously cliffhanger Negan's intro and Lucille next week I really hope people rip the showrunners and AMC. That's just shit storytelling.

I don't even get that logic really. TWD seems to be playing it so safe with so many of their main cast for the past couple seasons. Yet on the other hand, look at a show like Game of Thrones where a huge part of its popularity and ability to get people talking is based on how they're so willing to kill off main cast characters. I just don't get it.

The doubly ironic thing is it's fucking based on a medium that exists to sell books every month, and continues to have huge, fucked up moments. The cliffhanger isn't ALWAYS bad, but let the show have it's moments, guys. Christ.

Jerm411

http://uproxx.com/tv/daryl-shot-dwight-negan/2/

In an interview with Lauren Cohan on the Batman vs. Superman red carpet last week, Entertainment Tonight asked the woman who plays Maggie what to expect in the finale.

Here’s what she had to say:

“It’s the biggest finale I’ve ever seen in television. In any episode of TV, maybe barring the last episode of the Sopranos, but that’s a different kind of fish.”

kBS8WHR.gif

Leeness

The producer saying on Talking that the finale in one word is "Negan".

Isn't that more apt for the premiere for next season? 😒

I'm honestly so so so so heartbroken that they're going to ruin Negan's entrance.

UberTag

The producer saying on Talking that the finale in one word is "Negan".

Isn't that more apt for the premiere for next season? 😒

I'm honestly so so so so heartbroken that they're going to ruin Negan's entrance.
I think JWD will do his damnedest to pull off a saving throw.
I think he's going to deliver those lines in that script excerpt I shared earlier with aplomb.
It's just going to be undercut by the Lucille cop out. That's the real shame of it all.
It's going to be a terrible disservice to what was inspired casting and a memorable moment that can never be revisited... except in 6 months when they show the scene for real.

I think he's going to deliver those lines in that script excerpt I shared earlier with aplomb.
It's just going to be undercut by the Lucille cop out. That's the real shame of it all.
It's going to be a terrible disservice to what was inspired casting and a memorable moment that can never be revisited... except in 6 months when they show the scene for real.

Oh sure, JDM will probably knock it out of the park...

But AMC will probably screw it up by only having Negan kill off Aaron. I mean, damn, that would totally botch the whole point of Negan's intro.

Anyway, body armor guy was basically from The Kingdom, right? So Morgan and Carol will likely ride off to the Kingdom and be the connection there for when Rick calls on them to help next season against Negan?

someday

Banned
I'm probably biased but I think GoT gets away with it because for the most part, the story is written well. The characters act in ways that we expect them to act and events can happen seemingly organically. The Walking Dead changes motivations, personalities, and hell, physical landmarks on a whim in order for events to happen, regardless of the story they had told up to that point. In TWD, you feel like they never actually had to kill off a character because they've used plot armor or whatever often enough that we expect it. And when someone does die, it was usually so hamfisted or mind-boggling that we're still pissed.

Leeness

That's what makes me so sad. Haha. Everything leading up to the cop out is probably going to be awesome, JDM is going to be awesome...

But a cliffhanger is just going to ruin it, especially since the "reveal" of the person killed will come sometime in May/June when they start filming :/

Jerm411

That's what makes me so sad. Haha. Everything leading up to the cop out is probably going to be awesome, JDM is going to be awesome...

But a cliffhanger is just going to ruin it, especially since the "reveal" of the person killed will come sometime in May/June when they start filming :/

Leaving it on a cliffhanger literally makes ZERO sense...there would be more than enough buzz coming out of this season if Negan kills 1 or 2 main characters and the anticipation would be through the roof for the next season and what happens next...

I just can't fathom why'd they would do this...

Leaving it on a cliffhanger literally makes ZERO sense...there would be more than enough buzz coming out of this season if Negan kills 1 or 2 main characters and the anticipation would be through the roof for the next season and what happens next...

I just can't fathom why'd they would do this...

Quoting from earlier in the thread...
Can't you just see Hardwick being like "TWEET HASHTAG #WHOGOTLUCILLED TO JOIN THE CONVERSATION AND SHARE WHO YOU THINK WOULD BE THE BIGGEST LOSS TO THE GROUP!"?

Christ, I can even see the In Memoriam segment on Talking Dead having a big question mark for whoever got their brains beat in.

Having the Lucille/Negan intro left as a cliffhanger is terrible storytelling but I'm guessing some AMC person loves the idea that it'll get people talking. Who cares that the cliffhanger of who dies will almost certainly be spoiled once they start filming again over the summer and AMC will play dumb just like they did with the lame Glenn Dumpster cliffhanger.

I just really wish this show was on HBO or something. Have fewer episodes with less bloat and you'd actually have Negan able to swear!

Jerm411

Oh God if it ends the way we think it will....TD is going to be even more unbearable than usual.

I bet Hardwick would cry...

I don't even know why I'm bothering. I guess because I want the rumors(and confirmation of some things)to somehow be wrong. How the holy fuck do you build up a character this well and cliffhanger his intro?

If this were HBO and D&D had creative control, Rick and Carol would probably be the only original characters left. Hell, maybe not even Rick.

LycanXIII

Was the finale always 90 minutes? I know it was just announced that it would be 90 last week, but was it 90 minutes back when the cliffhanger talk started?

LowParry

Well that was a weird ending of stupid. God. If people think that was bad, next week is going to be worse and I swear people better be up in arms.

Sidenote: People dropping small spoiler hints in the OT. That shit should be banned.

Well that was a weird ending of stupid. God. If people think that was bad, next week is going to be worse and I swear people better be up and arms.

Sidenote: People dropping small spoiler hints in the OT. That shit should be banned.

I almost want to tell show watchers to spoil it for themselves and spare themselves the frustration of the next few months.

LowParry

I almost want to tell show watchers to spoil it for themselves and spare themselves the frustration of the next few months.

To be fair, I still want to see how Negan is performed. The script alone is really on point with the comic so there's that to enjoy. Just please give him a proper ending for people to really hate him during the wait. Oiy. AMC gonna go full viral no doubt with all of this. It's so stupid. Just get it right.

LycanXIII

Well that was a weird ending of stupid. God. If people think that was bad, next week is going to be worse and I swear people better be up in arms.

They will be once Funky Papa gets around to watching the episode.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
So after the episode "East," I have to imagine that Daryl is safe despite being in the final lineup. The gun shot at the end screamed death fake out, and one that they weren't really trying to hide.

I think I've calmed on the idea of a cliffhanger. If Negan's introduction is good despite that, I'll be happy.

UberTag

So after the episode "East," I have to imagine that Daryl is safe despite being in the final lineup. The gun shot at the end screamed death fake out, and one that they weren't really trying to hide.

I think I've calmed on the idea of a cliffhanger. If Negan's introduction is good despite that, I'll be happy.
There's little reason to think it won't be... and then we'll have a nice six-month wait until we get to see the entire scene intact with Aaron getting his brains bashed in. Won't that be cathartic?

RIP all of the other Alexandrians in advance. Inviting Rick and company into your home was a mistake.

Waiting for the season premiere where Aaron is laying dead on the ground and Rick leans over to Michonne and says "Who was that guy again?"

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Haven't watched East yet. Is Aaron in it a lot? Or at all?

I don't remember Aaron having more than two lines in an episode since earlier in the season where he had to stop Maggie from going through the sewer to find Glenn. I like his character, but Aaron has seriously been on the back burner for the majority of this season. If they cliffhanger Lucille AND make it him that ends up dying, I'll be sorely disappointed. The entire point of the scene is that Negan killed one of the untouchables. A character you thought would always make it and had been around for awhile. We met Aaron in the second half of last season, and he has had probably less than 15 minutes screentime this season. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aside from some quick lines and reaction shots, he's been AWOL most of this second half. Him dying would be no more shocking than Denise.

3528844514_30bbe95985.jpg

I can't believe they're going with "pegged' over all of the other F-word substitutes. It's gonna feel awkward in an otherwise awesome scene. If it turns out to be Aaron instead of Daryll or Glenn I really am done with this show. It has had so much potential but it's been ruined by inconsistent writers and showrunners and so much executive meddling. I'll just go back and read the Negan saga again (where I stopped with the comics) with JDM's voice and face in my head.

Top Bottom