• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
duckroll said:
Hironori Tanaka
Entered the industry in 2004.
Samples: 1, 2

Yoshimichi Kameda
Entered the industry in 2007.
Samples: 1

Ryochimo
Scouted into the industry by the Beck director in 2003.
Samples: 1, 2

Tomoyuki Niho
Entered the industry in 2005.
Samples: 1

Okay, I lied about stepping away from X-men. Tomoyuki Niho is storyboarding X-men ep4. It will be the first time he storyboards a production! X-men is clearly the savior of anime, serving as a platform for fresh talent to emerge and showcase themselves! Just like Noein in the past! :D

I'm sure 7th can come in and share many more stories of other animators I have ignored or failed to mention.

There's also Hokuto Sakiyama Sample:1 who seems to have entered the industry sometime in 2005 and Hiroyasu Oda Sample: 1, 2 who entered the industry in 2002 or so.

/XX/

7Th said:
To be fair, Hironori Tanaka, the animator in charge of all the "key" scenes in Aoi Hana, is known for having a hair fetish.
Yeah, Hironori Tanaka's work is pretty recognizable because of that, and he is also a very good special effects animator. In Star Driver #25,
wasn't that explosion (a bit reminiscent of You Yoshinari's work) at the end of the Tauburn V.S. Samekh battle made by him?

duckroll said:
Since I'm on this topic anyway, I might as well step away from X-men for a moment and highlight about some new animators who have been really, really amazing. Once again, these are animators who only entered the industry in the 00s, and so would be totally exempted from the "the only good animators left are from the 90s and before that" argument. It's definitely a sign that the industry is far from the brain-drain death dooooooom that is often speculated. These guys are so awesome that they didn't even have to labor for years as in-betweeners before moving on to being allowed to do key animation. They just... rock. I don't think I should even bother talking much about them. Rather...
I think that, in part, we can thank the Internet to make easier the share of ideas and experience between amateur animators, or the distribution of their works that in another situation wouldn't have been made or maybe would have been ignored. All those professional animators that spawned from the '.GIF Generation' amateurs sure benefited from this.

Also, now that I'm replying to you, duckroll, I'll post a link to a question I have made in a previous post:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27080734&postcount=8047

Sorry if you have seen it already!

duckroll

/XX/ said:
Maybe that difference is accentuated (and explained) by Masahiro Ando exceptional work as a storyboard maker, no? I mean, what Masahiko Minami praises the most of Mr. Ando labor at BONES since RahXephon has been his storyboards. He has a base knowledge in that area, frames the pictures in a clever and subtle way to make the most of the action scenes, and that reflects in his efficient work as a director. Akiyuki Shinbo work, on the other hand, feels like an experimental approach to direction, acute but a bit amateur, and his extreme and non traditional focus in composition certainly takes advantage of digital editing (I suppose that is one of the reasons Mitsutoshi Kubota impulsed the DIGITAL@SHAFT department at the same time Mr. Shinbo is appointed as supervisor).

Also, duckroll, do you think Mr. Ando will return as a director of another important BONES production? Or is he so implicated with P.A. Works that he won't come back (to be in a major role, that is)?

Sorry, I totally missed this. Blame the thread moving fast during periods when I'm not reading it! :(

I agree that storyboarding is a very essential skill for a director to have, especially in animation. Even when we're not taking about animation, James Cameron is a director who is known to be an excellent artist who can do detailed storyboards and layouts for his entire movie before shooting it. Not only does this help visualize the vision to all other staff members, but it also allows him to tweak and adjust this vision before spending actual resources and valuable time/money into producing the shots he wants.

Ando's capability as a storyboarder in turn comes from he himself being a trained animator and his years of experience working on various movies from Production IG especially. Understanding the art of detailed animation, and using it to reproduce realistic film-like cuts is something which comes in very handy when you have to layout and storyboard such shots from scratch based on your own ideas.

This is why I say that Ando has a traditional style when it comes to directing. He starts from the basics of establishing the shot based on the content first and foremost. First there is an idea of what he wants to convey, then there is the storyboard, then comes the actual animation process based on that.

Shinbo is completely different. You are right in saying he is experimental, but I would say that he is also more of a camera man than a storyboarder. He is the sort of director which you see emerging in Hollywood from directing music videos, commercials, documentaries, or fashion shoots. In that sense, he is more of a cinematographer in terms of skills training. His interest in direction is completely in establishing the shot based on what he can do with his tools, and how he can make the shot interesting visually. There is very often no direct relation to actual content or story, but merely the feeling of what the visual style conveys.

His style is also one which is very effective in lower budget TV animation, because it is one which does not rely in a lot of detailing, or creating a sense of realism or believability. It is definitely style over substance, but it can be argued that the style IS the substance. So with his clever camera tricks and stylish uses of shadows and contrast, he can get a positive response from audiences even with a low or non-existent budget. On the other hand, we have clearly seen that a lack of budget greatly hinders Ando's ability to deliver what he really wants, because his traditional directing style is one which truly shines if he has a large budget and strong production staff, on a movie-scale.

As for whether Ando will ever work with BONES as a director again, I think it's really up in the air. It is obvious that after Sword of the Stranger he wanted a different sort of challenge. He said so himself in interviews that he forced himself to work on episodes of True Tears because he wanted to know for sure that he could do something other than just action. With Canaan he tried to convey a sense of action with hope and positiveness in a modern setting. Unfortunately the writing and budget was garbage, and the designs made everyone go blind. So he failed. Clearly with Hanasaku Iroha he is treating this as his true test as to whether he can succeed on something other than being typecast as an "action anime director".

Whether he works with BONES again will probably depend on what challenges he seeks after this. That's my opinion anyway.

jman2050

mAcOdIn said:
Hanasaku Iroha episode 2 I liked better than the first, I'll probably follow it. People bitching about strict realism however are pretty fucking funny. It's fucking TV who wants 100% realism? And on a more twisted note have people seen the shit that does go on in reality? Stupid mothers circumcising their children with pliers and knives, serial killers, cannibals, whacky cults that gas subways, a President shot to impress an actress, an orangutang kept as a prostitute, people who marry their pets, reality is fucking whacked. Demented. I don't know if there is a reality just a "norm."

People who don't like the show just want to find stuff wrong with it when they should probably just leave it as is and go about their business.

Like, I can say that Iroha is very well-made and well-written and at the same time point out that it just simply isn't my type of show. This, Wandering Son, The Wonder Years, Friday Night Lights, all shows in that flavor are all good stuff that I just plain don't like watching. I imagine it's the same for some others, though many of them try to be antagonistic about it.

/XX/

duckroll said:
Shinbo is completely different. You are right in saying he is experimental, but I would say that he is also more of a camera man than a storyboarder. He is the sort of director which you see emerging in Hollywood from directing music videos, commercials, documentaries, or fashion shoots. In that sense, he is more of a cinematographer in terms of skills training. His interest in direction is completely in establishing the shot based on what he can do with his tools, and how he can make the shot interesting visually. There is very often no direct relation to actual content or story, but merely the feeling of what the visual style conveys.
I completely agree with your opinion. Thanks for your insight and all the information posted, duckroll, much appreciated!

Maybe one day it would be possible for me to express myself that good in English!

duckroll

/XX/ said:
I completely agree with your opinion. Thanks for your insight and all the information posted, duckroll, much appreciated!

Maybe one day it would be possible for me to express myself that good in English!

Your English isn't bad at all. I assume it's not your native language, but I don't think it would be easy to tell if you didn't say that. :)

trejo

Oh snap. I Am Now got the Banhammer and from Evilore himself, no less. That was brutal. :(

And /XX/, your english is fine dude, don't sweat it so much. Just go easy on the big words and throw in the ocasional typo here and there and they'll be none the wiser. Promise.

Jex

/XX/ said:

Too much agreement and discussion on this page. Not enough memes. I'm gunna have to go watch Judge to compensate.

Lafiel said:
Finished watching Digimon Adventure Movie 1 - Definitely one of the better 20 minutes I've spent watching a anime, it was a simple plot executed in a really compelling way with some excellent direction, it also kind of felt like it set the tone for hosada directional style, even had his trademark tears animation.

Looking forward to seeing how the second movie compares./QUOTE]

The first movie is very nice and sweet. It's simple and there's not a whole lot of dialogue, but it's really engaging. The second movie is pretty much the polar opposite of it, being a lot more plot oriented, but both are pretty good. The second is one of the better Digimon movies, although I enjoy Runaway Digimon Express more than Our War Game. They're the two best Digimon movies in my mind.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
Ikuhara sure does like lesbians dancing in fields of flowers, don't he! :p He also storyboarded an episode of Diebuster iirc, which is kinda the only thing that makes me sort of want to watch Diebuster.
Jeez, I forgot how awkward the OP looked compared to the rest of the series. It's like they wanted to find a classy way of shouting LESBIANS at the viewer.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well I've only watched Kaiji, Steins;Gate, and Maria+Holic Alive of this season so far should watch something else to watch soon when I'm not playing RE or watching CCS.

Dresden

It's not like half the thread is talking about Hanasaku Iroha or anything. You should watch Dororon Enma-kun though. Or just watch both.

Dresden said:
It's not like half the thread is talking about Hanasaku Iroha or anything. You should watch Dororon Enma-kun though. Or just watch both.
Sket Dance, Tiger and Bunny and Azazel-san were all also solid, skip Nichijou and Softenni as they are either boring or bad respectively and both are unfunny comedies.

Geneijin

If 30-sai no Hoken Taiiku has as much censorship as last time, I'm dropping it.

A Black Falcon said:
I don't know about that, I think it's possible for something to be more generic than IS... but yes, it would be difficult.
So until then, Infinite Stratos is number one in that regard with no comparison, no hyperbole required. But I don't think it'll be difficult. The genre is very volatile.

Rektash said:
On another note Kaiji will never be as good as Akagi. RICHI!
You doomed yourself with that richi.

Dedication Through Light said:
Did they really heavily censor Seikon II?
Yep. It's the same thing that happened for the first season. You either wait for the uncensored stream, which may not happen this time, or buy the eventual DVD/BD the censorship is trying to promote sales for.

/XX/ said:
Honestly, you're not giving yourself enough credit. It's pretty good sir. You shouldn't be overly concerned about it considering the level you've displayed here and before, and I made a similar comment to you before too. I suppose it's always good to have a mindset of always improving, so I guess that's a good thing to have too, but try not to get too caught up in that mentality and write as freely as you have been. It's good period.

There have been much bigger offenders I've encountered.

InfiniteNine said:
Well I've only watched Kaiji, Steins;Gate, and Maria+Holic Alive of this season so far should watch something else to watch soon when I'm not playing RE or watching CCS.
40lAH.gif

Hanasaku Iroha I9 =)

trejo

Wait, so 7th wanted us to get our academia on by posting fuller, more informed opinions and substantiating them and stuff? Fuck that noise.

icarus-daedelus said:
I c what you did there.
I didn't done nuthin'. >_>

Jex

Oh yeah, I forget to mention that I've also watched Toriko and Azel thingy.

They were fine, but I haven't donated any time to writing about them because there's so much going on this season.

I can't believe I've watched 10 shows so far and there's still stuff that hasn't aired. Wut.

Pfff Photobucket is down? Then how can I review Judge?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
That's why they hired Ikuhara! They saw Adolescence Apocalypse and realized that he's their go-to classy lesbians-dancing-in-flowers guy. Classy, and a little bit crazy. I dunno. I always liked that OP, but it does feel somewhat out of place.
It's probably because it exuded much more sexuality than the actual show ever does. It's still classy, but it's two nekkid girls artfully posing with each other in flirty ways.

Risette

A Good Citizen
InfiniteNine said:
Dororon Enma-kun
Hanasaku Iroha
Nichijou

In that order.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
It's probably because it exuded much more sexuality than the actual show ever does. It's still classy, but it's two nekkid girls artfully posing with each other in flirty ways.
You're making that sound like a bad thing.

Joule

firehawk12 said:
I'm still going to believe that it wasn't finished. :p
Same thing probably happened with Maria Holic Alive's OP. Oh Shaft.

Geneijin said:
But you'll be skipping the lesbian subtext in A-channel.
And breast whacking. A-Channel feels so bland though.

There are too many new shows. I just want to get back to Aria. : (

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
You're making that sound like a bad thing.
Got me there. :lol

Joule said:
Same thing probably happened with Maria Holic Alive's OP. Oh Shaft.
Oh man, you just reminded me of that slide show.

Aria > all shows this season.

InfiniteNine said:
Like that ever stopped them from airing it on TV before.
"Hey Mandoric, when's the next episode of Bakemonogatari supposed to stream?"

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
firehawk12 said:
"Hey Mandoric, when's the next episode of Bakemonogatari supposed to stream?"
I never payed attention after the TV episodes went off. :p I imagine they are obligated to turn something in if it's mandated for airing on a certain date.

Rektash said:
On another note Kaiji will never be as good as Akagi. RICHI!
Akagi follows a more obtuse game (I know the basics of mahjong but most of the terms fly over my head), has poorer pacing (that Washizu arc nearly collapsed under the weight of its self-analysis), has the less interesting protagonist (sure, I like watching Akagi's brilliance but the outcome is guaranteed and it's more exciting to see Kaiji claw his way back from the pit of despair), and doesn't have an ending. So no.

Jex

InfiniteNine said:
I never payed attention after the TV episodes went off. :p I imagine they are obligated to turn something in if it's mandated for airing on a certain date.
Well there's obligations and then there's SHAFT time.

Geneijin

InfiniteNine said:
NO IT DELAYED MADOKA BY EXISTING
And Madoka's delay helped Infinite Stratos' sales!

firehawk12 said:
I'm still going to believe that it wasn't finished. :p
Wasn't Episode 11 going to get the Shaft'ed?

Joule said:
And breast whacking. A-Channel feels so bland though.
Worse version of Lucky Star, it's not a K-On knock-off, repeated the same jokes 2-3 times within one episode, and a clumsier Tsukasa cannot carry a cast, yet I'll be watching the next few episodes. Sengoku Otome feels more bland personally.

Too many good shows to watch this season? Then Aria can wait.

Jex

InfiniteNine said:
I'm pretty sure MBS would whip them a few times to turn something in. Look at the TV versions of Nadeko Snake!
I can't look at it, it no longer exists! There was clearly too little fanservice.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
Your standards for arty naked girls posing are too high, then! That ED is more suggestive than anything in its respective TV series, too, if you squint closely enough.
But I kind of just wanted an excuse to post something Utena-related. :p
Interlocking fingers is just so suggestive in anime. :lol

Maybe they were afraid people wouldn't get Utena either... and come to think of it MariMite did the exact same thing in one of their EDs as well!

Rektash

hosannainexcelsis said:
Akagi follows a more obtuse game (I know the basics of mahjong but most of the terms fly over my head), has poorer pacing (that Washizu arc nearly collapsed under the weight of its self-analysis), has the less interesting protagonist (sure, I like watching Akagi's brilliance but the outcome is guaranteed and it's more exciting to see Kaiji claw his way back from the pit of despair), and doesn't have an ending. So no.

It has mahjong, that is more than enough for me. RON!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
InfiniteNine said:
< and dororon enma-kun!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
Welp, there's a reason Utena doesn't get any more suggestive than that ED, and I believe it's because the author of the manga threatened to leave the project if there was any overt yuri content in the tv series...

...which is funny, because obviously she got with the program by the time the movie rolled around. :lol
What did she think she was writing? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom