• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

duckroll said:
That is the only reason I watched all of Kissdum. But that was more of a show which seemed like it was almost not going to get aired, and just canned. Then after that, it was week after week of thrilling production nightmares, not knowing what the staff would do next. And it's impossible to look away because you know you're watching an anime series being written, directed, and animated on the fly week after week with NO ONE knowing where it would end. And by the end the final two episodes actually ended up looking incredible and amazing, probably because everyone involved had gone totally crazy and convinced themselves that the show was not a total worthless piece of shit after all.

It was an amazing experience.
I can practically hear you salivating from here.

zeroshiki

Jexhius said:
Okay, I did not realise the manga creator for Toriko has been previously arrested for having sex with under-age prostitutes. What? That's pretty crazy.

Does this make you more or less likely to watch it?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
BDs for Katanagatari and Arakawa Under the Bridge getting released in the US on DVD and BD combo pack in July courtesy of NISA!
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...ca-adds-katanagatari-arakawa-under-the-bridge
9DESb.jpg
5BFKJ.jpg

Jex

zeroshiki said:
Does this make you more or less likely to watch it?
That's kind of an odd way to put it. It doesn't seem likely that it will have any bearing on the work itself, so it doesn't effect how likely I am to watch it.
InfiniteNine said:
BDs for Katanagatari and Arakawa Under the Bridge getting released in the US on DVD and BD combo pack courtesy of NISA!
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...ca-adds-katanagatari-arakawa-under-the-bridge
I thought that said Bakemonoagatari for a second and I nearly had a heart attack! Subbed commentaries! Ah well, Katanagatari is still a good show.

zeroshiki

InfiniteNine said:
BDs for Katanagatari and Arakawa Under the Bridge getting released in the US on DVD and BD combo pack in July courtesy of NISA!
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...der-the-bridge
9DESb.jpg

5BFKJ.jpg

Would buy Katanagatari for episode 4 alone.

Jexhius said:
That's kind of an odd way to put it. It doesn't seem likely that it will have any bearing on the work itself, so it doesn't effect how likely I am to watch it.

Was making a joke. Although the author's character does influence my desire to start on something. I mean, Orson Scott Card is a terrible person and luckily Ender's Game isn't that good or I would have a dilemma on whether or not to read his stuff.

Deadman Wonderland 1
Having a prison as an amusement park seems like a bad idea. Interesting first episode. I haven't read the manga so I have no idea what to expect from this but I'll see what the games are like in the next episode I guess.

Instro

Jexhius said:
Okay, I did not realise the manga creator for Toriko has been previously arrested for having sex with under-age prostitutes. What? That's pretty crazy.

Huh I figured most people in this thread would have already been aware of this. His previous manga got shitcanned because of that conviction.

cosmicblizzard said:
The hell? Didn't know that either.

It's a pretty well known story. His previous series got canceled (was more popular than One Piece at the time) and wrapped up in a different magazine because of the scandal. That sex scandal is the main reason it took him so long to come back with Toriko.

Dresden

Oh shit, new Hoshi no Umi.
KuwabaraTheMan said:
It's a pretty well known story. His previous series got canceled (was more popular than One Piece at the time) and wrapped up in a different magazine because of the scandal. That sex scandal is the main reason it took him so long to come back with Toriko.
He got arrested for child prostitution a year after winning the Shogakugan award for children's manga. I have to admit, I laughed.

KuwabaraTheMan said:

and he went back to the same Publisher (Shounen Jump) as well.

Jexhius said:
I thought that said Bakemonoagatari for a second and I nearly had a heart attack! Subbed commentaries! Ah well, Katanagatari is still a good show.
Is it? That's good to know. On a related subject, what's the best of the NISA shows currently available? I need to get my hands on some of these beauties.

KuwabaraTheMan said:

I actually only started Toriko recently, so I don't know much about the guy. Crazy.

Instro

Ano Hana 1

I liked it a lot, definitely will keep watching. The plot seems interesting, looks to be a really solid drama. Not sure which I like better out of this or Iroha atm, Im guessing that since Iroha has more time to flesh everything out it will end up being the better of the two. Assuming neither takes a nosedive halfway through.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko 01

This definitely wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It was pretty amusing I guess. OP (and ED) are pretty lame though. Did SHAFT run out of awesome OP ideas after SoreMachi? Madoka and Maria Holic S2 have pretty lame OPs as well.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
First episode of Deadman Wonderland was pretty good. I just hope Ganta pulls it together a bit. I know he's in a tight spot, but all the screaming and crying got on my nerves after a while.

Jex

Deadman Wonderland 1

This opening was kind of...excruciating? I don't know how else to describe it. The set-up/backstory at the start of the episode was one of the hardest pieces of nonsense a show has ever tried to sell me on and at no point did the story even bother to persuade me that it made sense (bar some throwaway dialogue). Perhaps this was the worst part of the episode.

At least it makes all the stuff that comes afterwards seem slightly less awful than it is, even if they are pulling from all the anime tropes they can muster. It's like a fourteen year old's version of what a "badass" story would be.

I'm sure Branduil should experience this masterpiece.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Halycon said:
I'm only judging based on what I've seen so far. I thought Hanairo was going to go the Mono no Aware route until they shipped Ohana out of town and into the mountains. Ano Hana, on the ther hand, pretty much ramped the Mono no Aware to 10 in the first episode.
Jexhius said:
The OP is a visual definition of mono aware.
Geneijin said:
I thought Naruko would already convince you of it.
Boop. I see the first episode, OP included, more as nostalgia than mono no aware. The fact that a fixture of the past is made manifest is sort of the crux of nostalgia. It's like hanging on to something that you should throw away because you feel it has some emotional value.

I'm assuming Menma will be part of the show until the end, so... at the moment, I can see a mono no aware ending but the show itself seems to want to hang on to the past.

Hellsing321 said:
New trailer for Persona 4. Shows Izanagi cutting fools up, Nanako, and Chie manhandling Teddie.
Not sure why, but I vastly prefer the crappy in game 3d models than the anime versions of the characters. I'd like to think that even the portraits look better, but it's been a while.

InfiniteNine said:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...der-the-bridge
Wow, BDs? I'm guessing the Toradora/Persona/whatever else they have DVDs did well. I wonder if they'll go back and redo Toradora on BD.

Ah, Toradora never had a BD release in Japan?
(Also, kids calling Nisio Isin a literary genius must be causing someone's head to explode :lol)

7Th said:
Don't get me wrong. I want the shows to be good, but I find it exciting that they can turn into shit at any minute. It's like watching a reality show and rooting for someone that can fail and be dropped out at any step of the journey!
When Lost and BSG started becoming shit, for some reason I felt betrayed. Then I realized that TV shows don't matter and I'm mostly indifferent.
I don't think I've be able to switch to "Irony mode" for a show mid-stream though. Maybe with Big Bang Theory, which is something I watch out of habit, but I realize is pretty terrible.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Maison Ikkoku: Putting the MI and "misunderstanding".

Fucking AR thing, that's cheating!

7Th

firehawk12 said:
When Lost and BSG started becoming shit, for some reason I felt betrayed. Then I realized that TV shows don't matter and I'm mostly indifferent.
I don't think I've be able to switch to "Irony mode" for a show mid-stream though. Maybe with Big Bang Theory, which is something I watch out of habit, but I realize is pretty terrible.

The excitement only works when you actually like the show! You have to root for the staff and not just "don't care"!

Dresden

This Hanyou chick is totally badass. The action is so damn sweet.

0NGj7l.jpg

e: hoooooooly shit. How awesome? So awesome.

gifs would spoil the awesomeness.

Haly

I saw the stealth ~_^

EDIT: Where's that from Dresden?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
7Th said:
The excitement only works when you actually like the show! You have to root for the staff and not just "don't care"!
Well, before BSG I used to be a Ron Moore fanboy especially after I came to realize that Brannon Braga/Rick Berman are hacks... so there's that. Generally, if the show turns, I turn on the staff.

Tim Minear is probably the only guy I can name that I sort of root for, and that's only because every show he works on gets cancelled. :lol

Dresden said:
This Hanyou chick is totally badass. The action is so damn sweet.

e: hoooooooly shit. How awesome? So awesome.

gifs would spoil the awesomeness.

Oh shit, are they doing the Zakuro fight? Gotta watch that.

Haly

I'm going to be sad when Maison Ikkoku is over, it is so good.

Soooooooooooooo good.

SO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD.
sogood.gif

Dresden said:
I don't really care about the story, and I have no idea what she was doing (did she toss a 747? where did it come from?), but it was so awesome.

Isone can materialize stuff with her tongue or something. She's usually one of the more helpful people in battle. She makes some crazy stuff.

Dresden

cosmicblizzard said:
Isone can materialize stuff with her tongue or something. She's usually one of the more helpful people in battle. She makes some crazy stuff.
Ah, so that's what it was. I was wondering where she was getting all the crazy shit from. The story is still just fluff, though. But the episode is worth it for that segment alone.

Haly

ikusM6.png

So. Damn. Retarded. Goddamn.

This is so stupid. This is so stupid. This is so stupid. This is so stupid. This is so stupid. This is so stupid. This is so stupid. This is so stupid. This is so stupid. This is so stupid. This is so stupid.

Jex

Halycon said:
http://i.min.us/ikusM6.png[/IMG

This is so stupid. This is so stupid. This is so stupid. This is so stupid. This is so stupid. This is so stupid. This is so stupid. This is so stupid. This is so stupid. This is so stupid. This is so stupid.[/QUOTE]
I was trying to get you to slow down. But now you've arrived. Enjoy your stay.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Halycon said:
ikusM6.png

I have no idea what's going on there, but I'm going to assume that's cheeky/clever framing?

---

Seikai-ichi Hatsukoi 2
I know we have one sarcastic poster here who fake-loves it, so there's not much to add. :p
I will say it's strange to basically have shoujo manga beats in a BL text - especially since the show itself is about making shoujo manga. It's like Bakuman, except the dudes are in love with each other instead of having secret girlfriends they can never see for some arbitrary bullshit reason.

What's hilarious is you have the bad ass super shoujo love interest that says things like this:
xocdUl.jpg

And the protagonist goes all shoujo-tsundere like every other shoujo heroine (most shoujo heroines are either strong but not strong enough or weak and need to be protected after all) and won't accept the fact that he's in love with the dude.

Maybe watching Antique Bakery basically messed with my expectations of female representations of gay men. There are no guys going to Ni-chome to pick up random strangers in this show. :lol

Haly

Jexhius said:
I was trying to get you to slow down. But now you've arrived. Enjoy your stay.
I didn't know that's what you meant/

Actually Hito warned me about it too but I forgot.

I'm still enjoying it even if it's the dumbest thing on earth.
I have no idea what's going on there, but I'm going to assume that's cheeky/clever framing?
Wonderful!

You can watch it.

jman2050

Steroyd said:
BUT IT'S A MAGICAL GIRL ANIME FFS!!

Expecting normal human relationships in a CLAMP anime is like expecting a happy ending from Gen Urobuchi. Genre be damned.

EDIT - Also really, the whole teacher-student thing wasn't even the most creepy thing about those episodes, it was them going out of their way to point out just how perfect Sakura's dad is. It's so saccharine and idealistic it's off-putting.

firehawk12 said:
Maybe watching Antique Bakery basically messed with my expectations of female representations of gay men. There are no guys going to Ni-chome to pick up random strangers in this show. :lol

In most BL the characters aren't really meant to be representative of gay men. That's why the "I'm only gay for _____" trope comes up so often (as it's obviously unrealistic), and why they rarely if ever touch on actual gay issues. Instead the same-sex thing provides a context for an overly idealized romance, sort of like the whole Romeo and Juliet thing, by transgressing ordinary boundaries there is granted the appearance of greater depth or passion and thus deeper romanticism, and that's basically it. The main protagonist is essentially just an insert for the female reader. Not all BL is like that but most of it is, and these reasons are essentially why most gay people don't really care for BL.

Jerk

Banned
So I am finally dropping X-Men.

I really wanted to like the show, but in the end, I had trouble staying engaged (I doubt that I would have made it this far without Storm).

Steroyd

jman2050 said:
Expecting normal human relationships in a CLAMP anime is like expecting a happy ending from Gen Urobuchi. Genre be damned.

EDIT - Also really, the whole teacher-student thing wasn't even the most creepy thing about those episodes, it was them going out of their way to point out just how perfect Sakura's dad is. It's so saccharine and idealistic it's off-putting.

I think I mentioned that in one of my previous posts, all things considered he's still considered the perfect father, with that kind smile of his, it's soo frikken creepy.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Halycon said:
Do it.

DO IT.

(Do it)
You're trying to trick me, aren't you?!

umop_3pisdn said:
In most BL the characters aren't really meant to be representative of gay men. That's why the "I'm only gay for _____" trope comes up so often (as it's obviously unrealistic), and why they rarely if ever touch on actual gay issues. Instead the same-sex thing provides a context for an overly idealized romance, sort of like the whole Romeo and Juliet thing, by transgressing ordinary boundaries there is granted the appearance of greater depth or passion and thus deeper romanticism, and that's basically it. The main protagonist is essentially just an insert for the female reader. Not all BL is like that but most of it is, and these reasons are essentially why most gay people don't really care for BL.
Yeah, I know. This is the first and only overtly BL show I've seen, so I figured I'd give it a shot just for shiggles.
I still find it interesting that Yuri written for women seems to be done fairly "straight" (ahahaha) comparatively though. At the very least, it's not just shoujo manga with two girls anyway - a lot of the teen stuff seems to be of the "I love my best friend but I don't want to creep her out" variety.

I guess the Japanese version of Queer as Folk is probably in book or film form. Figures!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom