• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
firehawk12 said:
You're trying to trick me, aren't you?!
What part of "Do it" even remotely resembles a trick? It is a very clear and concise statement.

WATCH MAISON IKKOKU.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Halycon said:
What part of "Do it" even remotely resembles a trick? It is a very clear and concise statement.

WATCH MAISON IKKOKU.
How can I watch it when you just said it was stupid? :lol

(To be fair, it's mostly the length that's putting me off. *rimshot*)

Haly

firehawk12 said:
How can I watch it when you just said it was stupid? :lol
It's only two episodes out of 96. That's about 2%! A significantly better batting average than every other series out there.
(To be fair, it's mostly the length that's putting me off. *rimjob*)
Fixed.

expy

Banned
205475_641889067484_48303572_35137846_2283395_n.jpg

Can't wait.. Want to see how Tohsaka will look on the other side.. XD

Haly

Niiiiiiice.

That's some talent you got there (also dedication, and love)
It's the 96 episode part that is more worrying. It's on my backlog anyway!
Well, you could watch about 7 seasons of crap...

Or 94 episodes of awesome!

firehawk12 said:
Yeah, I know. This is the first and only overtly BL show I've seen, so I figured I'd give it a shot just for shiggles.
I still find it interesting that Yuri written for women seems to be done fairly "straight" (ahahaha) comparatively though. At the very least, it's not just shoujo manga with two girls anyway - a lot of the teen stuff seems to be of the "I love my best friend but I don't want to creep her out" variety.

I guess the Japanese version of Queer as Folk is probably in book or film form. Figures!

I don't really know much about yuri, but I could see that. There seems to be more yuri-esque subplots in various shows that I've seen, and they seem to be handled fairly reasonably on the whole.

Film seems like the better medium for that in general, from my experience. QAF was pretty damn good, but it was basically just Sex and the City for gay guys. And it follows the Rule of Drama a little too much to be taken seriously sometimes, but I'm certainly glad it exists. Films still seem to do everything better, but that might just be a matter of funding or marketing or whatever, since the landscape for films is more diverse.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
umop_3pisdn said:
I don't really know much about yuri, but I could see that. There seems to be more yuri-esque subplots in various shows that I've seen, and they seem to be handled fairly reasonably on the whole.

Film seems like the better medium for that in general, from my experience. QAF was pretty damn good, but it was basically just Sex and the City for gay guys. And it follows the Rule of Drama a little too much to be taken seriously sometimes, but I'm certainly glad it exists. Film still seems to do everything better, but that might just be a matter of funding or marketing or whatever, since the landscape for films is more diverse.
There's apparently a Tokyo Gay and Lesbian film festival anyway, so maybe that's where all the talent/people tend to go.

Cartoons will always be the ghetto for children and nerds, it seems. Or as some would put it, we get the anime we deserve.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
It's the 96 episode part that is more worrying. It's on my backlog anyway!
Around a hundred episodes may sound like a lot, perhaps too much, but it's not really indicative of the amount of content. It's only 32 hours or so, just like a couple of seasons of BSG.

If you're worried about quality it does seem clear that you probably can't tell a traditional story with more than a hundred anime episodes, but it's not really a problem for romantic comedies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
I thought Sex and the City was Sex and the City for gay guys.
Oh no you didn't, girlfriend!

Jexhius said:
Around a hundred episodes may sound like a lot, perhaps too much, but it's not really indicative of the amount of content. It's only 32 hours or so, just like a couple of seasons of BSG.
Yeah, spread out over 4-5 years is easy. Resisting the urge to marathon is hard.

I did Eureka 7 in like 2-3 days and I still feel bad about it.

Haly

I foresee lots of cutting and bloodshed before this season is over.

firehawk12 said:
There's apparently a Tokyo Gay and Lesbian film festival anyway, so maybe that's where all the talent/people tend to go.

Cartoons will always be the ghetto for children and nerds, it seems. Or as some would put it, we get the anime we deserve.

Hahaha, I like that, thanks.

icarus-daedelus said:
I thought Sex and the City was Sex and the City for gay guys.

Not really, a big part of it is just seeing a more direct representation of it on the screen. I was going through my early teens when it was on the air and that contributed somewhat to the whole self-acceptance thing, to use more of a personal example. I get that you're mostly kidding, though.

Sex and the City shares a lot of the same tropes. The relationships between the main cast was essentially modeled after gay guys, and this was I guess deliberate on the creator's part, but it's demographic was women and so it isn't really the same thing.

Haly

Caffeine doesn't actually do it for me unless it's one of Starbucks' doubleshots.

But now I want coffee so coffee it is.

trejo said:
Is Charlie gonna be voiced in the Persona 4 animu? That's gonna feel incredibly out of place.

It would be even more out of place to have a narrator giving all the MC's dialogue in third person.

And I expect he won't be called Charlie.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Jerk said:
So I am finally dropping X-Men.

I really wanted to like the show, but in the end, I had trouble staying engaged (I doubt that I would have made it this far without Storm).
Another one sees the light.

Haly

Pohana.

Also.
ikusMQ.png

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

HAHAHAHAHAH

HAHA

hAA

psycho17

hosannainexcelsis said:
It would be even more out of place to have a narrator giving all the MC's dialogue in third person.

He'll always be Charlie Tunoku to me.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I'm going to be sad when Maison Ikkoku is over, it is so good.

Soooooooooooooo good.
And you haven't even seen episode 76 yet, nor have you seen episode 93 and onwards mmm.

Regarding the whole, "any episode, HanaIro and AnoHana can become total messes" thing... am I the only one that thinks that one of the most exciting things about watching TV anime is that it can always turn into shit without warning? Knowing that, due to the nature of its production, any show can be suddenly ruined at its next episode is something that has me at the edge of my seat.
I dunno watching shows like that almost makes me quit anime for a period of time.

tiff

Banned
expy said:
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/205475_641889067484_48303572_35137846_2283395_n.jpg[IMG]
Can't wait.. Want to see how Tohsaka will look on the other side.. XD[/QUOTE]
That looks pretty awesome.

firehawk12 said:
Seikai-ichi Hatsukoi 2
I know we have one sarcastic poster here who fake-loves it, so there's not much to add. :p
I will say it's strange to basically have shoujo manga beats in a BL text - especially since the show itself is about making shoujo manga. It's like Bakuman, except the dudes are in love with each other instead of having secret girlfriends they can never see for some arbitrary bullshit reason.

What's hilarious is you have the bad ass super shoujo love interest that says things like this:
xocdUl.jpg

And the protagonist goes all shoujo-tsundere like every other shoujo heroine (most shoujo heroines are either strong but not strong enough or weak and need to be protected after all) and won't accept the fact that he's in love with the dude.
l

He (Takano) definitely makes the show really awesome and speeds the plot along.
tumblr_ljraq8CcJ81qhjsago1_500.gif

Though he couldnt accept it cause he couldnt remember for some reason these past two episodes.
tumblr_ljqi8tWIQf1qzi3q1o1_500.png

Though with full remembrance I wonder where it will go on to. Definitely one to look out for. I never thought of it like Bakuman though I guess it kind of works kinda, well Saiko x Shujin is canon so, it could...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dedication Through Light said:
Though with full remembrance I wonder where it will go on to. Definitely one to look out for. I never thought of it like Bakuman though I guess it kind of works kinda, well Saiko x Shujin is canon so, it could...
Man, we could have used you during the Infinite Stratos run!

Haly

I regret not knowing how to make GIFs from mkv files.

When I'm done with MI and I have some spare time, I'm going to go back and GIF everything GIFworthy.

Which is quite a bit.

trejo

hosannainexcelsis said:

Then what's the point?

And just get either the narrator from Kaiji or motherfuckin' Norio Wakamoto. I don't see a problem with either.

Regulus Tera said:
It's only the natural progression of both GAF circles.
More like the unholy union.

Joule

Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko 1: That was better than I was expecting but it does feel low on the budget side of things. The music was pretty good (I kinda even dig the OP in its Denpa-ness). Can't say I feel the characters yet (Adult Ami is pretty alright though) but I'll keep up with this. Shaft Headtilt count is a little lower than expected.

------
Finally back to Aria for a bit.

Aria the Natural 3:
An episode featuring a little bit on what the Gnomes seem to do for the world of Aqua. Al sure is dull though but he makes a good funny face. At the least he knows what up on hotpot. Not too sure what Aika sees in him but at least we get some cute reactions from her. I do like how she thinks of Woody and Akatsuki (it is pretty accurate on Akatsuki's part). Well it's really more like Al just explaining how gravity works to Akari, Aika and Alice. I would think that in the far far future this sort of thing would be rudimentary to even our Undine friends. Oh well. The main point of the episode was a meteor shower viewing which was pretty nice. I really love these sort of scenes. While Akari did have her usual embarrassing talk of how the falling stars is another beautiful aspect of Aqua but it's nice to see Aika doing it too (that tsundere).

Really though the most important part of the episode was Pres Aria going in. Except he gets held back by the dark.

l0kSY.gif

You'll get her buddy. Just keep putting in that work.

Aria the Natural 4:
This was a good episode. Akari helps out the mailman in his duties when his gondola is in the shop for repair. It's an interesting idea that letters and postage is still in use on a large scale in Aqua. With all the email exchanges with Akari and Ai as well all the message delivering that Akari did in the first season, it was just a matter of time for this episode I guess. The romanticism involving sending letters in a modern age is something I enjoy. Pres Aria donning a new look while at the postal office while enjoying a good stretch. Akari is a little rough on her first go at being a mail person but Mr Mailman and Pres save the mail. The latter half the of episode have our trio helping out a young Sora (Syaoran) who wants to deliver a letter to his teacher. It's kind of a cheese story with the teacher having her wedding ceremony while getting this letter but it does lead to seeing Akira and Aika's wedding gondola services. After a job well done it's on to the next delivery. What a rare episode where Akari can just say all those embarrassing things without being reprimanded by Aika. While this particular message is fairly common in these sorts of slice of life deals, it's still an enjoyable concept. However at the end of the day sometimes letters are just so...

Pres Aria is just styling.
JCyrI.gif

The funny face count was a little lower in this time around with episode 4 but there was still lots of good shots.

BluWacky

Lafiel said:
I dunno watching shows like that almost makes me quit anime for a period of time.

I would rather see a show turn to shit after being great than one that's shit from the beginning. And sometimes, the show can turn itself around again - or at least partially redeem itself. For instance, Romeo X Juliet has the most god-awful middle third of pretty much anything I've ever watched, but the ending is at least half decent.

If a show can get me to the halfway point then usually it can get me to the end, come hell or high water. And sometimes I can embrace the naffness - I still can't decide if Aquarion turned to shit or it was deliberately insane (I think the latter).

Haly

Yagami is a complete waste of time. Yes it's amusing but the story wouldn't be harmed at all if they just cut her out of it after his stint at the high school.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Halycon said:
Yagami is a complete waste of time. Yes it's amusing but the story wouldn't be harmed at all if they just cut her out of it after his stint at the high school.
But her antics are so damn entertaining, and it lead to one of the greatest scenes in the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom