• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mAcOdIn

Halycon said:
Wrong:
garrus-and-shepard.jpg
I don't know which, if either, of those are the player character but it's all good if the player character or audience is scaley or exoskeletaly.
Halycon said:
Springtime of youth is a mental state. Physical age has nothing to do with a young man's heart, which is filled with burning passion.
I don't equate destiny with passion.

Steroyd

Instro said:
You dont.

Or you could reup the avatar to an external image host and then use it, but that takes time

You mean 5 seconds?

image.png

Photobucket + Insta photobucket upload firefox add-on ftw.

Lain

Halycon said:
Oh it's good all right. Reeeeeeeeeeeeal good. Someone back me up here.
Juan Gotoh does some hot shota stuff, so I'll back you up any day of the week!
Wait, why are you guys talking in spoilers anyways?

Steroyd

Lain said:
Juan Gotoh does some hot shota stuff, so I'll back you up any day of the week!

Because AnimeGaf has crossed the some strange line where things are best said with spoiler tags?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Spoilers make it seem secretive, conspirational if you will. Lends that certain je-ne-sais-quois to these kinds of discussions that tread the line between innocent fun and a trip to bansville.

Also mac needs to play mass effect. It's not really spoilery but you're missing out on some hot interspecies loving.

mAcOdIn

Lain said:
Because these are valuable life truths that are best learned through experience and can't just be imparted via text so hopefully those not ready will skip them.
Halycon said:
Also mac needs to play mass effect. It's not really spoilery but you're missing out on some hot interspecies loving.
I've wanted to but it, the first one, supposedly has trouble in 64bit Windows and I don't have a Xbox 360. I wish Bioware would have done what Sony's doing with White Knight Chronicles and bundled the first game with the sequel on the PS3 but, well, whatever.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Mass Effect 1/2 works fine on 64bit x_x

At least it did for me.

mAcOdIn

Halycon said:
Mass Effect 1/2 works fine on 64bit x_x

At least it did for me.
I expect the second one would, what I read awhile ago made it sound like the DLC portion of the first was broke, if that's not the case I may finally jump in.

mAcOdIn

icarus-daedelus said:
I'd watch it.
I don't know if I should be comforted or not as it seems you'd watch about anything. *cough* Kanon 2002 *cough*
icarus-daedelus said:
Evanescence sucks.
Did you listen to the song?

Their slow stuff was good it was the Linkin Park mash-up style shit that sucked.

JKTrix

mAcOdIn said:
I expect the second one would, what I read awhile ago made it sound like the DLC portion of the first was broke, if that's not the case I may finally jump in.
I played both games on the same 64 bit machine, though I only got the first DLC for the first game. The 2nd one was apparently not worth it.

There's something nostalgic about Toriko.
7Th said:
>AMV
>not using a Linkin Park song

You guys are doing it wrong.
I actually made a couple of DBZ AMVs in the days before YouTube, you can probably still find them on AMV.org. I was pretty proud of the 2nd one I made at the time :p No Linkin Park, but the artists I picked probably aren't held in much higher regard.

mAcOdIn

7Th said:
>AMV
>not using a Linkin Park song

You guys are doing it wrong.
I haven't done anything yet so I can't be in the process of doing it wrong! But I thought Evanescence was interchangeable with Linkin Park.
JKTrix said:
I played both games on the same 64 bit machine, though I only got the first DLC for the first game. The 2nd one was apparently not worth it.
Well it's usually cheap so I'll see what I can get it for.
InfiniteNine said:
But I liked that song!

flawfuls

Hyouge Mono 1

Fuck yes someone actually subbed it, I was beginning to lose hope. I can see why it took so long, the language used in the show can't be easy to translate. Watching it with subs made me thing better of it now that I can do more than judge the production values. It's really nice that they are able to do basically a 1:1 adaptation of the manga, no BS added or important scenes removed.

Now somebody less biased needs to watch it and tell me what they think. It's a very interesting show based on the concept alone and the main character is wonderfully unique. I look forward to when they adapt stuff I haven't read before (which should be next episode).

7Th

flawfuls said:
Hyouge Mono 1

Fuck yes someone actually subbed it, I was beginning to lose hope. I can see why it took so long, the language used in the show can't be easy to translate. Watching it with subs made me thing better of it now that I can do more than judge the production values. It's really nice that they are able to do basically a 1:1 adaptation of the manga, no BS added or important scenes removed.

Now somebody less biased needs to watch it and tell me what they think. It's a very interesting show based on the concept alone and the main character is wonderfully unique. I look forward to when they adapt stuff I haven't read before (which should be next episode).

I don't know if I want to watch it; Hox, who is supposedly a big fan of the manga, calling it a poor adaptation and the whole Bee Train thing are huge "hype" killers.

Kettch

The OreImo commentaries continue to be great. A hilarious one by the cast of Mereru and then a nice look into the dad with the second. I'm glad these shows with such great extras are selling well, sets a nice precedent.

I thought that said Bakemonoagatari for a second and I nearly had a heart attack! Subbed commentaries! Ah well, Katanagatari is still a good show.

Got the right author and the right studio, but not the right show. :/ It's like they're torturing us.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Halycon said:
What, no, she disappears during the finale. Are you crazy? Disappearing mid season would be like having the kissing scene in ToraDora by episode 12. And episode 13 onwards would be about them standing around going "uh derp derp what are we going to do now?" while Ryuuji and Taiga make out every chance they get.

Actually that doesn't sound so bad. Maybe they can bonk by episode 25, or even get Taiga teen pregnant.

If AnoHana turns into a series about a necrophilic schizo, victory against Team Hanairo would be assured. The only way they can compete is if Pohana rapes Tsundere and Shy girl simultaneously.
Well, the cast getting over her death and moving on with their lives is the True mono no aware ending. Doing that midseason would give them time to do that.

That said, I can already see them doing the post-climax "getting on with their lives" denouement over the credits, with the group walking together in the distance and Menma waving at them as they move on with their lives.

JKTrix said:
Whenever stories involve death for dramatic effect, I'm like instantly resistant to it. Almost like it's cheap. Sometimes it's used effectively and I can appreciate it, but other times I just get signals that this is trying to be sad and it just turns me off.

What does get me though is the old shounen 'power of friends' trope. Things like a big crowd of people cheering one guy on after some rough times. I still get choked up when I play the last stages of any one of the Ouendan games.
You wouldn't like any Adachi then. :lol
If one were to be reductive, Cross Game is 52 episodes of pining for a dead girl.

Kettch said:
The OreImo commentaries continue to be great. A hilarious one by the cast of Mereru and then a nice look into the dad with the second. I'm glad these shows with such great extras are selling well, sets a nice precedent.
I'm glad for OreImo fans, but I'm still annoyed that these commentaries are being "worked on" but not the Bakemono commentaries.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
jman2050 said:
The first episode is quite the amazing troll at least.
No, the amazing troll is when
a fucking look a-like waltzes into their lives just to destabilize the main pairing for another 20+ episodes
. I love Adachi though. :p

JKTrix

firehawk12 said:
If one were to be reductive, Cross Game is 52 episodes of pining for a dead girl.
One of the examples of death used effectively. Cross Game did at least have a chance because I was familiar with Adachi's works and had actually read some of the manga before the show started. I don't know how I would have felt if I went into it cold, though.

There's some 'Otaku no Video' podcast that I keep seeing popping up on Crunchyroll, so I clicked it just to see what was up. It was a review of 'Black Rock Shooter' that included the words Brilliant and Ghibli. Don't think I'll be watching that podcast again.

mAcOdIn

InfiniteNine said:
I like the song too! I wanted to see if there where any AMVs with it so I searched. :lol
Good man! I wish Baba O' Riley was in more, I love that song so much.
icarus-daedelus said:
No need to hide my secrets in coughs, friend. I think practically everyone here knows about my shame now.
It wasn't mean to hide but add dramatic e-f-f-e-c-t.
icarus-daedelus said:
Although in this case, it would be because 1) you're a cool dude and 2) I need stuff to keep me sane while I'm at work. And perhaps 3) for laughs.
All kidding aside if I actually tried to make a Ryuji's mom x Ryuji AMV it'd probably break me, spoiler jokes are one thing, spending hours hunched over my PC scrutinizing every frame and syncing it with audio, that's another. I'd go to great lengths for your amusement but I don't think I can go that far.
icarus-daedelus said:
The first few seconds, sure... but I went back and listened for ya. Not too bad, but not really my thing. I'll tell you a secret: I loved Evanescence when I was thirteen!
Aww, I was hoping I could have an Evanescence buddy! No-one I know likes them, lol. As for the secret, just be like me and stay 13 or so forever, that's what I did. Seriously though it is, I don't think I liked anything past 1998 or so musically I'm stuck at 18, thank goodness I got introduced to all the good stuff before my development stopped it'd suck if I wasn't a huge Journey fan because I hadn't heard them.
icarus-daedelus said:
That's what I thought, too.
Although maybe "bands I liked when I was an angry 13 year old" are easy to mix up.
I'm pretty sure they're interchangeable.
firehawk12 said:
That's kinda spoilery, she doesn't start out dead.

flawfuls

7Th said:
I don't know if I want to watch it; Hox, who is supposedly a big fan of the manga, calling it a poor adaptation and the whole Bee Train thing are huge "hype" killers.

Of course it's weak adaptation this is Bee Train we are talking about. I certainly wouldn't recommended it over the manga, but the manga isn't being translated and there isn't really any other option to get it in English, unless Hox or someone starts translating the manga again. It's the same sort of situation as Stieins;Gate except unlike Stieins;Gate it's very likely that nobody will translate the manga ever.

I think Bee Train did a reasonably good job given how hopelessly inept they are and the strength of the source material alone makes it worth watching. You are seem like the type who won't be able to overlook the bad production values though, so I doubt you specifically would enjoy it.

mAcOdIn

jman2050 said:
She dies 3/4ths of the way into the first episode. I mean, that's basically the entire premise
Ahh, my memory's off then I thought she made it 3 episodes or so, although considering the show's length that's still the beginning.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
JKTrix said:
One of the examples of death used effectively. Cross Game did at least have a chance because I was familiar with Adachi's works and had actually read some of the manga before the show started. I don't know how I would have felt if I went into it cold, though.
Yeah, I agree it can be cheap as well. I like it when it's used in full mono no aware mode though: Tamiyura is lightning in a bottle when it comes to a death used really well.

mAcOdIn said:
Ahh, my memory's off then I thought she made it 3 episodes or so, although considering the show's length that's still the beginning.
Yeah, I don't really consider that a spoiler. It'd be like saying Cross Game is about baseball.

flawfuls

jman2050 said:
She dies 3/4ths of the way into the first episode. I mean, that's basically the entire premise

It's still supposed to be a surprise. In the manga it doesn't happen until the end of the first volume. It also has way more impact in the manga because you actually had time to get to know the character, but I guess they wanted a good hook for the first episode.

jman2050 said:

That's kind of my main gripe with the anime.

The manga gave you an entire volume to get to know Wakaba before killing her off, while the anime kills her so quickly that it's hard to feel as much emotion. I wish they had spent two episodes adapting the first volume.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
jman2050 said:
You know I keep meaning to watch Cross Game beyond the first few episodes but I never got around to it.

Maybe I should start.
Have you seen Touch? I've completely forgotten that series (other than watching the movie remake recently) but for some reason I think it's better.

It also depends if you can take 52 episodes of hot tsundere passion.

jman2050

firehawk12 said:
Have you seen Touch? I've completely forgotten that series (other than watching the movie remake recently) but for some reason I think it's better.

It also depends if you can take 52 episodes of hot tsundere passion.

Remember who you're talking to... idiot...

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I guess if the source material is good/interesting enough that not even Bee Train can fuck it up completely, it's probably worth watching. I'll bite.
Yeah, especially if there's no chance of the manga being fully translated, that said I'll probably wait until the anime series is finished and fully translated before i even consider watching it.

From what I've seen / read of both i think touch is better mostly because it has more endearing characters, minami is just <3

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
icarus-daedelus said:
It involves cosplaying as an Inuyasha character and it's gross.

Or at least that's what the teenage animu fans I knew in high school were like. Not me, of course.
The ones I knew tried to hit on me! It wasn't cool. ;___;

Risette

A Good Citizen
icarus-daedelus said:
It involves cosplaying as an Inuyasha character and it's gross.

Or at least that's what the teenage animu fans I knew in high school were like. Not me, of course.
I'm a teenaged anime fan in high school and I don't do things like that. ;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom