• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geneijin

doomed1 said:
Yeah, I'm not really. I'm a snob, sure, and I'm cultured, but I'm not really elitist. There are alot of plot holes in the show, and considering, it's understandable that they're there, but I'm just not a huge fan. OreImo I liked because I have two younger sisters. If you had younger sisters and watched OreImo, you'd get that I liked it for the commentary on sibling relationships. Same with K-On, except trade out sibling relationships for high school rock bands. It's more a values thing than a QUALITY EVERYONE CAN LOVE thing, but that's what taste is all about, and we all know there's no accounting for it...
Your points might have been well received even if criticized if you didn't let it be known about your agenda before you started watching it. Since you didn't and went into watching it looking to be overly critical too, it's hard not to read your posts in regards to Madoka not in a condescending tone personally. Some of your points are valid, but I can't even say I would agree to disagree with them. I'd have to know what your favorite animes are, how you critique them, etc to see if your agenda is clouding your criticism of Madoka.

As for OreImo, I thought it was one of the better portrayals of sibling relationships even though the fanservice interferes with that perception too many times. Kirino didn't annoy me as many thought of her. Yeah, she was annoying, but I didn't think she was a bad character. A good bad character if you know what I mean. Strictly speaking of the 1st half, I found her actions plausible and understandable to be frank. K-On is a different beast. Someone would have to go through 13 episodes of K-On! before K-On!!

cosmicblizzard said:
cosmicblizzard's totally accurate and unbiased elitist ranking list of animu thread regulars:

Class S: Super Monocle People
1. Branduil and Jexhius (tied)
3. Nonoriri

Class A: Fake Monocle People
4. Macodin
5. 7th
6. Jerk

Class B: Refined Retina Displacement Theory
7. Aigis
8. doomed1
9. icarus-daedelus
10. Lafiel
11. trejo
12. shintoki
13. ABF
14. Jman2050
15. Drforester
16. Halycon

Class C: All around mustache club
17. Dresden, flawfuls, Kuwabaratheman (3 way tie)
20. cosmicblizzard, steroyd, Lain, infinite justice (4 way tie)
24. tiff
25. Infinitenine
I'm in good company :lol

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
doomed1 said:
You wanna talk about elitism? You're being worse than I am, and for what? a disagreement on tastes? Please, that's Subjectivity 101.
And you really claim that you're not "elitist"?

Really?

You have about as much self awareness as Kirino.

flawfuls

cosmicblizzard said:
cosmicblizzard's totally accurate and unbiased elitist ranking list of animu thread regulars:

Class S: Super Monocle People
1. Branduil and Jexhius (tied)
3. Nonoriri

Class A: Fake Monocle People
4. Macodin
5. 7th
6. Jerk

Class B: Refined Retina Displacement Theory
7. Aigis
8. doomed1
9. icarus-daedelus
10. Lafiel
11. trejo
12. shintoki
13. ABF
14. Jman2050
15. Drforester
16. Halycon

Class C: All around mustache club
17. Dresden, flawfuls, Kuwabaratheman (3 way tie)
20. cosmicblizzard, steroyd, Lain, infinite justice (4 way tie)
24. tiff
25. Infinitenine

What I don't get is how Macodin is so high. I mean the dude writes essays about Infinite Statos and Samurai Girls.

Lafiel said:
Err no, the touhou fanbase is one of the worst in existence, we should be glad that our thread is mostly free of them.>_> unless we have a few hidden fans here..

I could never hate on a fanbase that made this. Or this. Or especially this.

And I don't own a 360, so there's not as much Cave sweetness available to me as I'd like. The Touhou games are pretty fun!

flawfuls said:
What I don't get is how Macodin is so high. I mean the dude writes essays about Infinite Statos and Samurai Girls.

Writing essays about anything will put you high up there. ABF would be higher if anyone read his.

doomed1 said:
I also study media design. My roots are in literature so I just tend to classify media in general as literature in some regard. And I'll juxtapose anime to whatever I feel is relevant thank you. Y'see, ultimately, anime is a form of storytelling, and likewise comes from human experience. I can relate my personal experiences as an eldest sibling and my experiences with a rock band in high school to OreImo and K-ON respectively. If you can't, too bad. That means your experience is that much different from mine or I have a different perspective on it. You wanna talk about elitism? You're being worse than I am, and for what? a disagreement on tastes? Please, that's Subjectivity 101.

This is comedy gold, I have to say.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Halycon said:
And you really claim that you're not "elitist"?

Really?

You have about as much self awareness as Kirino.
I'm not an elitist, I'm a snob. I really don't care what other people like or don't like, but I do care what I will like or not like and will go into large detail of why I like something or not. It's not really meant to look down on other people for liking the show, and I invite criticism in case there's another perspective I hadn't considered. I'll be a snob and say "I think this is poo", but I won't really look down on others for enjoying what I have labeled as "poo".

Haly

InfiniteNine said:
I thought it'd be fun if I put my name as that. :>
Jessica doesn't sound like the skirt wearing type. Sounds more like heels and jeans.

Risette

A Good Citizen
hosannainexcelsis said:
And I don't own a 360, so there's not as much Cave sweetness available to me as I'd like. The Touhou games are pretty fun!
Well Cave's best game is playable on MAME. Although, the ones on 360 are definitely worth playing too.

Uchip

Banned
Miri said:
He/She's saying that your monocle fogs up for everything but a show a year.

honestly, if he couldn't make that inference then maybe hes not much of an academic
being an elder sibling equates to enjoying a show about underage girls obsessed with pedo games and their brother... ok then

Articalys

InfiniteNine said:
Also for those interested in the K-ON! BDs:

Also awesome fan games!
*Touhou Castlevania image*
To this day I have no idea how the hell a doujin team managed to get the voice cast they did for that game. I mean, holy hell: Miyuki Sawashiro, Haruka Tomatsu, Rina Sato, Yuu Kobayashi?

Uchip said:
honestly, if he couldn't make that inference then maybe hes not much of an academic
being an elder sibling equates to enjoying a show about underage girls obsessed with pedo games and their brother... ok then

Well, it's fair enough. I relate to One Piece because I shoplifted Pokemon cards once when I was in middle school.

Solune

cosmicblizzard said:
Writing essays about anything will put you high up there. ABF would be higher if anyone read his.
Yo, that's cold man, Iceman cold. Cosmic Blizzard indeed.
flawfuls said:
Oh it got subbed? Awesome time to watch and understand everything that is happening.
It did indeed! All hail dinosaur glory! I'm so hyped from Geneijin's gifs and those trailers.

Risette

A Good Citizen
hosannainexcelsis said:
What would you say is Cave's best game? I adored the iOS versions of Espgaluda II and DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu.
Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi, most definitely. Second is Mushihimesama Futari Black Label or 1.5 (I think Black Label is the best version of Futari but it's up to preference really)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
hosannainexcelsis said:
What would you say is Cave's best game? I adored the iOS versions of Espgaluda II and DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu.
DoDonpachi DaiOujou Black Label eXtra is pretty awesome and has a great soundtrack.

Uchip

Banned
KuwabaraTheMan said:
Well, it's fair enough. I relate to One Piece because I shoplifted Pokemon cards once when I was in middle school.

just wondering
did the straw hat pirates ever steal? apart from luffys eat and runs?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Miri said:
It... it's the same thing. Or at the least, I've always seen it used in the same context.
Eh, they're similar, but an elitist is a snob that thinks everyone who doesn't share their taste is somehow less than him. I'm a snob in that I have a very discerning taste and don't really have much desire to change it, but I don't really look down on people for liking things I don't. Many snobs are elitist, but not all.

Uchip said:
And we are now officially discussing this on two different levels. Hint: for me, the appeal of the show is deeper than the plot summary.

Haly

jman2050 said:
Where's mjpopcorn.gif when we need it?
Better.
newagepopcorn.gif

Paprikka

Aigis said:
Also, I find the music really annoying and end up turning it off. The Touhou music fanbase is something that really boggles my mind.

The largest torrent in existence isn't touhou related for nothing.

cj_iwakura

Lafiel said:
Err no, the touhou fanbase is one of the worst in existence, we should be glad that our thread is mostly free of them.>_> unless we have a few hidden fans here..

Yo.

(But Shikigami no Shiro is better.)

I got into the games because of the fan creations like the IOSYS remixes, then found out they were pretty awesome as well.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
icarus-daedelus said:
Aren't you supposed to post some random image macro, too? Preferably something Utena-related?

Aww, don't sadface. You'll always be Jessica to me, infi! :3

Nah, when it's K-On it usually a picture from Violinist of Hameln, proclaiming it as the best music anime.

Geneijin

cosmicblizzard said:
You're also C.
Aw, that's impossible. I didn't think I'd leave enough of an impression to be listed as one.

DrForester said:
I am a bit surprised how low I am given my love of old anime. Thought that was instant elitist.
Your moe is weak old man.

Aigis said:
Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi, most definitely. Second is Mushihimesama Futari Black Label or 1.5 (I think Black Label is the best version of Futari but it's up to preference really)

Well, I'll put it at the top of my games to play list then. Eventually I'll have to get a 360, though... sigh.

InfiniteNine said:
DoDonpachi DaiOujou Black Label eXtra is pretty awesome and has a great soundtrack.

Cave games always have great soundtracks! DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu Black Label is my favorite of the ones I've heard.

Halycon said:
Jessica doesn't sound like the skirt wearing type. Sounds more like heels and jeans.

flMBc.jpg

She wears a skirt, but she's a tomboy at heart, so... who knows?

doomed1 said:
Eh, they're similar, but an elitist is a snob that thinks everyone who doesn't share their taste is somehow less than him. I'm a snob in that I have a very discerning taste and don't really have much desire to change it, but I don't really look down on people for liking things I don't. Many snobs are elitist, but not all.

You seem like a sensible person, but I've never heard those words distinguished in that way before.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
wEeMx.jpg

Well this contract is sealed. I'll do the 1 episode a day thing until the last BD is released, and if I don't like it some lucky person on GAF gets a free K-ON! BD set or I'll set them on fire. Whichever seems best at the moment.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
God damn, I feel like I'm in the Endless Eight of anime threads. I swear this is how the Winter thread started. :lol:

InfiniteNine said:
Well this contract is sealed. I'll do the 1 episode a day thing until the last BD is released, and if I don't like it some lucky person on GAF gets a free K-ON! BD set or I'll set them on fire. Whichever seems best at the moment.

K-On! has died faster than Lucky Star and Haruhi, surely. I'm curious to see if people react to it differently after the fact, especially since Bandai is pretty much betting the bank on this thing.

cj_iwakura

Halycon said:
Man, this looks like a goddam flash game.

Well, it's one of those Touhou-esque 'director is also the art designer etc etc etc.' situations, so you can expect mediocre art.

ZUN's art does get better along the way though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom