• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynedom

Really hyped about the new Kenshin series. The series really took a dive after the Christian exile arc.

Watched the first episode of Blue Exorcist and it was fine. Apparently (according to gg anyway), the first episode was filler? Eh. Don't really mind. It's not like I follow the source material anyway. Rin's father totally reminds me of Anderson from Hellsing...except not a psycopath (at least not yet)

Beelzebub continues to be a fun show to watch. Really hating the new theme song. I expect it in something like Gundam SEED but not for this show. =\

Dynedom

Hitokage said:
We're talking about the official releases not random doujinshi.

Maybe I wrote that incorrectly. I meant the original TV series took a dive, not the manga.

Unless I'm missing something...

Joule

RurouniZel said:
Sadly, my friend in Japan just reminded me that the original Japanese voice of Saitou passed away...

Hopefully a suitable replacement is found.
D: I forgot about this. It was lung cancer iirc.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Jexhius said:
I always follow Jason and I'm apparently part of the monocle brigade, what does that make me?

Anyway, I turn to his posts for entertainment, not to see if I agree with his opinion (Nichijou no. 1? [C] no. 28, dead last, below ASTAROTTE NO OMOCHA? lol indeed).
An anomaly!

Yeah it's pretty jarring reading this thread then reading his posts.

Dresden

Halycon said:
I dunno, some people seem to like the anime. I watched Trust/Betrayal first and cannot understand them at all. I gave up after one episode of the series because if I shook my head any harder it would fall off.

Jason's Thin Slicing Post (do not read (haha dats sum reverse psychology oh wait crap) if you are part of the monocle brigade): I'm surprised he reviewed the yaoi show. I'm also surprised he put Deadman Wonderland so high when it's received nothing but flak on here (except for cosmic). Still, he was a fan of the manga so that's probably it. I would be surprised at Nichijou at #1 if anyone here reviewed all the first episodes in one go, but this being Jason I am not surprised at all.

I'm glad at least that the moe hasn't diminished his writing abilities.
Man, that dude is cancer.

I'd have more respect if he didn't put C last just to drive up some outrage. Admittedly I'm not excited enough about C to defend it or anything, but still. I always get the sense that he spouts bullshit half the time to keep to his character.

RE: Seiyuu/VA business.

I don't get involved in any worshipping or anything, but it's always fun to be able to recognize who voices who without knowing before hand. Though I guess if I was more knowledgable in Japanese, I'd be able to recognize more people though.

jman2050

Dresden said:

I'd have more respect if he didn't put C last just to drive up some outrage. Admittedly I'm not excited enough about C to defend it or anything, but still. I always get the sense that he spouts bullshit half the time to keep to his character.

Well I'm sure neither me nor Jex respects his opinion, more that we find him hilarious.

That's a big step up from 90% of anime blogs where I neither respect their opinion nor think anything they write is interesting.

Cwarrior

Halycon said:
I dunno, some people seem to like the anime. I watched Trust/Betrayal first and cannot understand them at all. I gave up after one episode of the series because if I shook my head any harder it would fall off.

Jason's Thin Slicing Post (do not read (haha dats sum reverse psychology oh wait crap) if you are part of the monocle brigade): I'm surprised he reviewed the yaoi show. I'm also surprised he put Deadman Wonderland so high when it's received nothing but flak on here (except for cosmic). Still, he was a fan of the manga so that's probably it. I would be surprised at Nichijou at #1 if anyone here reviewed all the first episodes in one go, but this being Jason I am not surprised at all.

I'm glad at least that the moe hasn't diminished his writing abilities.

the only thing I agree with there is C being worst anime I seen this season so far, funny thing is, it was the anime I was most excited for this season.

The biggest surprise this season
C sucking so bad
xmen not being the worst show this season
Tons of good shows this season

But biggest surprise show is tiger and bunny i thought that it was gonna suck

Dresden

jman2050 said:
Well I'm sure neither me nor Jex respects his opinion, more that we find him hilarious.

That's a big step up from 90% of anime blogs where I neither respect their opinion nor think anything they write is interesting.
Yeah, I know.

It's just that unlike the man he emulates so desperately, he doesn't believe in half the shit he writes. You listen to anything Bill Simmons says and you know that deep inside he thinks he's right. (He's not, but that's some of the fun.)

That just irks me, somewhat. I know that most bloggers don't have anything to say, and just want hits, but still.

Dresden said:

thats some epic trolling of C LOL

and Iroha > AnoHana will be ammo for those teams in this 'war'

jman2050

Dresden said:
Yeah, I know.

It's just that unlike the man he emulates so desperately, he doesn't believe in half the shit he writes. You listen to anything Bill Simmons says and you know that deep inside he thinks he's right. (He's not, but that's some of the fun.)

That just irks me, somewhat. I know that most bloggers don't have anything to say, and just want hits, but still.

I dunno, if that's really the case, then Jason has far better self-awareness than Simmons ever did. That's a bad thing?

So Eva has it's movies. DragonBall had Kai. And now RK has something new. What's the next 90s anime to be revisited?

Sailor Moon redo? Outlaw Star 2?

Giant Robo: The Day Something Happen?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Bah, the people in the Kenshin thread piss me off with their ignorance. Do people really ignore everything and just bitch about moe all the time? I mean we got some fucking Kaiji this season for fucks sake!

Rahxephon91 said:
So Eva has it's movies. DragonBall had Kai. And now RK has something new. What's the next 90s anime to be revisited?

All of my money!

Instro

Huh, so people arnt liking C that much then? I saw the first episode the other day it didnt seem all that bad. Some of the cgi was shitty, but the rest of it seemed interesting enough.

Dresden

Rahxephon91 said:
New Slayers? Remake? Who knows.
jman2050 said:
I dunno, if that's really the case, then Jason has far better self-awareness than Simmons ever did. That's a bad thing?
It's a pointless complaint, I suppose. It's his schtick and it's what keeps people visiting. There's just this studiously facile quality to it that bothers me.

Instro said:
Huh, so people arnt liking C that much then? I saw the first episode the other day it didnt seem all that bad. Some of the cgi was shitty, but the rest of it seemed interesting enough.
I think it's pretty intriguing, but the first episode wasn't amazing or anything. And it's ugly.

jman2050

Rahxephon91 said:

Giant Robo: The Day Something Happen?

Sailor Moon Super Stars

Tenchi Muyo OAV 4 (hahahahahaha please no)

Gundam Wing New Minuet

InfiniteNine said:
Bah, the people in the Kenshin thread piss me off with their ignorance. Do people really ignore everything and just bitch about moe all the time? I mean we got some fucking Kaiji this season for fucks sake!

Yep. Lot of people won't even look at anime today unless it's a remake/movie/whatever of something from their childhood, ignoring all the awesome new stuff that may even be similar. I have no doubt in my mind a bunch of Kenshin fans would like Toriko, yet they completely ignore it because they seem to think they'll get on some pedo list if they even look at a list of new anime.

BluWacky

Dresden said:
New Slayers? Remake? Who knows.

We've only just had Revolution/Evolution-R!

The only 90s anime I really want to see revisited is Please Save My Earth. Give us the whole series, use the character designs from the end of the manga, and it would be AMAZING. Preferably Kanno and/or Mizoguchi back on the soundtrack for extra points.

Of 90's anime that I think needs some sort of sequel. I think my real choices would be Nadeisco(because now it's fresh in my mind) and Giant Robo(because it's clear there is more to the story).

Outlaw Star probably does need a sequel, since it kind of has no ending, but I'm honestly find with exists.

But yeah since Netflick dosen't have anymore FMA:Brotherhood, that's on pause for me. Rin was pretty bad, so I'm done with that. Probably look into Heroic Age, even though I did'nt like Fafner. May look into X-men as I do love X-men and you guys seem to like it. Also I'll watch some of Soul Eater. Yeah I'm behind anime GAF.

Oh and I realized the Utena re-release isn't to far off. It will be a good time to re-watch that show.

BluWacky

Rahxephon91 said:
Of 90's anime that I think needs some sort of sequel. I think my real choices would be Nadeisco(because now it's fresh in my mind) and Giant Robo(because it's clear there is more to the story).

Another sequel after Prince of Darkness for Nadesico?

But yeah since Netflick dosen't have anymore FMA:Brotherhood, that's on pause for me. Rin was pretty bad, so I'm done with that. Probably look into Heroic Age, even though I did'nt like Fafner. May look into X-men as I do love X-men and you guys seem to like it. Also I'll watch some of Soul Eater. Yeah I'm behind anime GAF.

Heroic Age is not very much like Fafner at all. It's much less Eva and more.. I dunno, conventional anime? I found it a very unlikeable show - interesting villains and worldbuilding squandered on terrible protagonists and plotting.

Soul Eater has great animation. That's all I can say in its favour, personally, but you may have a higher tolerance for shounen schtick (and the lead actress's voice) than I do.

Silh

Okay, it was awesomely terrible. :(

I liked Reckless Fire and RADICAL GOODSPEED. But other than that and the KAZUMAAAAA and RYUHOOOOU it's kind of forgettable.

jman2050

Rahxephon91 said:
I kind of liked Scryed. Well, at least the 1st half. It got a little too serious and the whole thing after
His friend died
is kind of a blur to me. I do honestly forget that I own the show.

The opening had some Japanese Ricky Martin thing going on though.

Heh, it's pretty much the exact opposite with me. I still can't remember even some of the more important events right up until
Kimishima dies and Ryuho/Kazuma lose their memories
but I remember damn near everything after that.

And yeah, the OP is pretty awesome.

Dresden

Silh said:
Okay, it was awesomely terrible. :(

I liked Reckless Fire and RADICAL GOODSPEED. But other than that and the KAZUMAAAAA and RYUHOOOOU it's kind of forgettable.
That's about all I can remember as well. I think it's better left that way. Nostalgia is so delicious.

jman2050

shintoki said:
S-Cryed was enjoyable.

Mother fucking Straight Cougar.

I think my favorite part of the show is that they took who was very obviously the most annoying character in the show and
actually killed her off.

InfiniteNine said:

Y'know, it's kinda weird. I've been avoiding anime for the longest time mostly out of disinterest of the entire moe thing. Then Madoka comes along and suddenly I'm interested again, though that was after I got a little
ahead
of myself with the spoilers. Then again, I didn't really watch the mainstream stuff like DBZ, but the "weirder," more obscure things like Lain and Betterman when I was in high school.

Though personally I'm just going to blame it all when I watched and enjoyed Total Recall when I was like six years old.

BluWacky said:
Another sequel after Prince of Darkness for Nadesico?
Yeah. Thanks to the internet, I am now aware of what happens in the Dreamcast game set after the movie. Though, it dosen't matter as it ends in "To Be Continued".

Heroic Age is not very much like Fafner at all. It's much less Eva and more.. I dunno, conventional anime? I found it a very unlikeable show - interesting villains and worldbuilding squandered on terrible protagonists and plotting.
I honestly got that from the 2 episodes I watched, but I'll give it at least 4 episodes before I give up.
Soul Eater has great animation. That's all I can say in its favour, personally, but you may have a higher tolerance for shounen schtick (and the lead actress's voice) than I do.
I'm not a big fan of shounen anime, but I like the way the show looks. So I want to give it at least a try.

tiff

Banned
Character designs are terrible, with a cow meido _thingie_ that looks like one of Dr. Moreau’s failed experiments
I'm raging here.
InfiniteNine said:
That's the good thing about this thread moving so fast. Keeps most of GAF out.

Jex

jman2050 said:
C'mon, let's be fair.

It's more like 99%.

Rahxephon91 said:
I'm not a big fan of shounen anime, but I like the way the show looks. So I want to give it at least a try.

Already told you in the battle thread, but you should check it out. If you like stylish action and a major focus on insanity, you'll like it. You have a DMC avatar, so I think you will.

Jex

Rahxephon91 said:
People will only bother with stuff that's going to make money of course, so sadly we'll see no more Giant Robo, no matter how well Imagawa sharpens his skills.
Branduil said:
Does everyone in the anime industry die of lung cancer?
It's not surprising, when you consider their working environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom