• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mAcOdIn

Dresden said:
You're not old enough to qualify for old-man-moe.
Phew.

But you're not denying my claim?
Halycon said:
I know macodin's like. 59 or something.

I remember that you're 30-ish
Lol, I imagine that if you remember the Berlin wall you're old to most gaffers.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Mac-Odin is from the depths of the netherworld and the time it would take to say his true age you would only hear 1/8th of it before you expire.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I find it somewhat amusing based on my observations that most of the regulars here seem to be at least over 18 or so, i thought anime was suppose to be for kids, guys!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It probably is.

We are just sick twisted people.

Or monocle wearing snoots who transcend age and demographic barriers.

mAcOdIn

icarus-daedelus said:
mac's 31 guys. Get it right.
Right, but, umm, I still get carded at times so I like to think I look young!
pieatorium said:
At least we still look like were 14, right mac?
Hell no! Why would I want to look 14? If it's really you're birthday though congrats.
InfiniteNine said:
Mac-Odin is from the depths of the netherworld and the time it would take to say his true age you would only hear 1/8th of it before you expire.
Bah, that's my father, he removed the "-" when he named me, I'm much more sensible.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
trejo said:
Happy birthday, old timer!

No offense to anyone but I hope I'm not nearly as much into anime when I'm 30 as I am now.
The responsible people get jobs, have families, and leave the moe for their nerdy children!

Joe Molotov said:
So they aren't mono no aware of what happened?

am i doing it rite?
Booyakasha!

mAcOdIn

Oh yeah, I got my Girl Who Leapt Through Time BR today, kinda underwhelmed visually. Granted I didn't watch the whole thing, just ripped it to my PC and watched a bit to verify I got the right subtitles but about the only HD part of it's the credits and stuff. I don't have the DVD version so I can't directly compare but I think people who already own the DVD might be ok just keeping it unless the DVD's just piss poor.

Haly

tiff said:
You guys can't claim him as one of your own until you've caught up in the maid outfit department.
A transparent plot if there ever was one.

You won't get me in a french maid costume that easily!

mAcOdIn said:
Right, but, umm, I still get carded at times so I like to think I look young!
I don't think I've been carded since I was like 20 (18 drinking age here). Beards tend to make it hard to be mistaken for underage.

mAcOdIn said:
Hell no! Why would I want to look 14? If it's really you're birthday though congrats.

Heh was just a comment on how trying to guess an anime characters age is almost immpossible for most characters aged between 14 - 35. Thanks, yeah it is really my 30th today.

trejo said:
Happy birthday, old timer!

No offense to anyone but I hope I'm not nearly as much into anime when I'm 30 as I am now.

Thanks, and I was out of anime and manga for a few years but I've gone back to universtiy and just have alot more time on my hands.

trejo

firehawk12 said:
The responsible people get jobs, have families, and leave the moe for their nerdy children!
Damn, my kid is going to be such a geek. I feel sorry for the guy already but I'm gonna make sure he doesn't have a chance to get laid until college, at the very least.

My hypothetical kid for when I have one, that is.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
trejo said:
Damn, my kid is going to be such a geek. I feel sorry for the guy already but I'm gonna make sure he doesn't have a chance to get laid until college, at the very least.
That's why you have girls!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
mAcOdIn said:
Oh yeah, I got my Girl Who Leapt Through Time BR today, kinda underwhelmed visually. Granted I didn't watch the whole thing, just ripped it to my PC and watched a bit to verify I got the right subtitles but about the only HD part of it's the credits and stuff. I don't have the DVD version so I can't directly compare but I think people who already own the DVD might be ok just keeping it unless the DVD's just piss poor.
Well I'm going to wait for a proper analysis. Thanks for your thoughts though!

mAcOdIn

pieatorium said:
I don't think I've been carded since I was like 20 (18 drinking age here). Beards tend to make it hard to be mistaken for underage.
Bah, winter's over so I shaved that shit off.
pieatorium said:
Heh was just a comment on how trying to guess an anime characters age is almost immpossible for most characters aged between 14 - 35. Thanks, yeah it is really my 30th today.
Ah, well congrats still!
icarus-daedelus said:
My favorite story to tell is that a man in New Orleans offered me to come in a bar and have a drink once, and I said no, I'm only 18, so he says oh, you only look 16. Uh, yeah. That makes it so much better to offer me alcohol. Thank god for friendly male accompaniment that day!

It was Bourbon Street, so I'm not sure that I should've expected anything different.
Are you sure drink meant drink? Anyways, I dunno, if drink did mean drink I don't see much wrong with it, heck I was alive when the drinking age in Louisiana was 18, I was drinking at 18 and I don't really see anything wrong with other kids drinking in the presence of adults so long as it's not some rape session or some shit.

icarus-daedelus said:
I'll skip that then, I don't love the movie but I have a soft spot for animation in HD...that's disappointing to hear, but then again it IS Bandai.
Well it doesn't look bad it's just not Akira awesome. Very soft, which is probably good as that alludes they probably didn't DNR the hell out of it, but it doesn't look like the movie actually was that detailed and fluid to begin with if that makes sense. I'm sure it looks better than the DVD in certain places I'm just not convinced that it would look better enough to warrant a double dip.
InfiniteNine said:
Well I'm going to wait for a proper analysis. Thanks for your thoughts though!
Don't blame you at all, having never seen the original in theaters nor the DVD release it's not like I can properly compare it to anything anyways for all I know this may be the best it ever looked.

jman2050

trejo said:

My hypothetical kid for when I have one, that is.

>Thinks he's ever going to get a girl, much less a kid.

Haly

Boring Baseball episode is boring.

I find it difficult to maintain interest in anything sports realted unless it's over the top awesome like Eyeshield 21.

::a toast to Forever Alone GAF:

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
mAcOdIn said:
Don't blame you at all, having never seen the original in theaters nor the DVD release it's not like I can properly compare it to anything anyways for all I know this may be the best it ever looked.
Yeah, I've only seen it in HD and I remember it not being like WOW so I'm waiting a bit. Till something appears on Muhootsaver or something.

Risette

A Good Citizen
mAcOdIn said:
It's just a very soft looking movie. Actually, I'm glad to hear Bandai didn't fuck up the movie with sharpening or whatnot. I've seen screens from the Japanese Blu-ray (disc, not rip) - and since it's a theatrical movie it's most definitely not SD. Just a soft presentation.

I've only rented it so I feel confident in my purchase for $19+shipping! No double dipping here.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Geneijin said:
It's the same tripe from the moe/loli thread. If they want to overly generalize what character designs qualify as moe crap, let them. It's their ignorance they want to wallow in. They want more broe, not moe, which is fine, but it's slightly amusing how Broken Blade gets a pass as long as it isn't "moe crap."
Your argument is not best served by citing an exception to the rule.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
jman2050 said:
It's okay, there's always the release of Eva 3.54321 coming out around the same time.

But I don't even like Eva 2.2123141 right now, I hope that I still don't in 10 years!

mAcOdIn

InfiniteNine said:
Yeah, I've only seen it in HD and I remember it not being like WOW so I'm waiting a bit. Till something appears on Muhootsaver or something.
Shame they didn't time stamp their images or I could take a capture myself if anyone wanted a comparison between the releases.

That said, damn you for linking that site, Tanabe from Planetes looks gloriouser on Bluray!
Aigis said:
It's just a very soft looking movie. Actually, I'm glad to hear Bandai didn't fuck up the movie with sharpening or whatnot. I've seen screens from the Japanese Blu-ray (disc, not rip) - and since it's a theatrical movie it's most definitely not SD. Just a soft presentation.

I've only rented it so I feel confident in my purchase for $19+shipping! No double dipping here.
Yeah, I kinda mentioned that in my second post, looks like Bandai did very little post processing on it which is generally a good thing.

And I don't feel ripped off or anything, for 20 bucks it's a good deal.
icarus-daedelus said:
Well, we were wandering around town for a school project and I was with a male friend who could've passed for a boyfriend probably, the dude in question seemed harmless enough but if I actually looked 16...I dunno...that's kind of vaguely scary looking back on it.
I mean, don't alert the authorities, but I'm not yet 21 and I drink now and I don't see anything particularly wrong with it either. Nor with buying fucking lottery tickets but that's another matter.

LA was a fun place though. I miss it sometimes. Not the other LA where the air is green and you can't breathe. *potshots*
I was never anywhere good in Louisiana, my time there was limited to Fort Polk which was just miserable.
icarus-daedelus said:
Nothing's Akira awesome but it is a somewhat unfair comparison because I feel like that movie had higher production values to start with than the vast majority, I mean, it blew my mind when I first bought it on DVD and there was lip-syncing for the original Japanese audio track. Lip-syncing! In an anime!
Yeah, I think I spoiled myself when I made that my first anime bluray, then my second anime bluray was Ghost in the Shell 2 which also looks fucking awesome, totally ruined my concept of normal for everything after them.

Nonoriri

firehawk12 said:
Well, I mean, it's not like Tokikake is a film full of visual spectacle and whatnot anyway.

Wut.

It doesn't have say action or FX stuff that would constitute the typical "spectacle" thing but whatever.

Risette

A Good Citizen
icarus-daedelus said:
Isn't it like an excessively repetitive downer, though? That's always the complaint that I hear about it. I'm sure it looks good in blu though.

Still gotta preorder Baccano! though. And if I have any bloody money left over by May, then I can consider other crap. :X
It seems pretty nice to me, even excluding the prettiness. I like it.

And Baccano is an upscale for anyone who cares, but the upgrade is... huge. Check out #4 in particular.

01 R1DVD | BD
02 R1DVD | BD
03 R1DVD | BD
04 R1DVD | BD
05 R1DVD | BD
06 R1DVD | BD
07 R1DVD | BD
08 R1DVD | BD
09 R1DVD | BD
10 R1DVD | BD

Upscaling done right.

mAcOdIn

icarus-daedelus said:
Ghost in the Shell 2 or Ghost in the Shell 2.0? I'm guessing 2 (Innocence) because I vaguely remember hearing complaints about the redo of GitS, like unnecessary added CG or some shit like that. God, how could you desecrate my beautiful drawings with CGI, Oshii?
I mean 2, I'm not buying that 2.0 shit. I'm still bitter about that, not that they did it I think the creator has the right to go back and do what they want but the fact that the original version included is total shit, it's the exact same problem I have with Lucas's DVD release of Star Wars where he put all this effort, lot of it awesome some not so much, into his updated vision and then threw the Laserdisc version of the originals on it as the original. Ugh. Had both been done with the same care I'd buy Ghost in the Shell 2.0 in a heartbeat but I'm not buying something where the original looks worse than the DVD and the remastered main product is... something else.
icarus-daedelus said:
Still gotta preorder Baccano! though. And if I have any bloody money left over by May, then I can consider other crap. :X
I wasn't going to until I went back and looked at my DVDs of it and yeah, I pre-ordered that shit fast. The region 1 DVD release was God awful, can't wait to unload it.

tiff

Banned
Aigis said:
And Baccano is an upscale for anyone who cares, but the upgrade is... huge. Check out #4 in particular.

Upscaling done right.
Glad my brother's getting it, then. It looks good.

Haly

imK3F4.png

Bros to the end.

Nonoriri

mAcOdIn said:
I mean 2, I'm not buying that 2.0 shit. I'm still bitter about that, not that they did it I think the creator has the right to go back and do what they want but the fact that the original version included is total shit, it's the exact same problem I have with Lucas's DVD release of Star Wars where he put all this effort, lot of it awesome some not so much, into his updated vision and then threw the Laserdisc version of the originals on it as the original. Ugh. Had both been done with the same care I'd buy Ghost in the Shell 2.0 in a heartbeat but I'm not buying something where the original looks worse than the DVD and the remastered main product is... something else.

Well the original version was released on Blu-ray too.
In Japan that is.

mAcOdIn

Nonoriri said:
Well the original version was released on Blu-ray too.
In Japan that is.
I don't care!
icarus-daedelus said:
oh my god my eyes. DVD you so ugly.
It's not just DVD's fault it's a terrible transfer, worse than the original broadcast, a total disgrace to the idea of home releases and should have been illegal.
icarus-daedelus said:
Yeah, that's really kind of obnoxious, I mean, whatever, do with it what you will, god knows how many bloody versions of Blade Runner there are, but at least include variations in some form when releasing on home video. It's good to hear about Innocence though, think I may give that one another chance soon. Didn't really like it much when I first saw it, or the first GitS for that matter, but it was quite a while ago. Fuck if that blu-ray ain't expensive now, though. :(
Woah, hold up, I just said Ghost in the Shell 2 looks awesome, the movie itself is actually pretty damn dull. I still haven't finished it after falling asleep about 3/4s in and in a way I don't regret it.

And the Blade Runner HD set is fantastic, all versions but that work edit or whatever they call it are better looking than the last DVD release.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nonoriri said:
Wut.

It doesn't have say action or FX stuff that would constitute the typical "spectacle" thing but whatever.

Branduil said:
The animation is.
Yeah, as always, I'm not a "sakuga" guy. As long as the images look crisp, I'm good. That and I'm done with DVD as a medium anyway. (If only The Wire was shot in HD :().

mAcOdIn

icarus-daedelus said:
I had no idea, really. It's a favorite of mine so I figured I'd rebuy it anyway, but good god, putting those caps next to each other like that...it's ridiculous.
It really is ridiculous. I don't know what some of these studios do with their releases sometimes as I see no reason why the DVD release should look worse than the SD broadcast. The DVD exceeds the old TV spec and can match the 480p SD broadcasts so I don't get why they sometimes look so much worse.
icarus-daedelus said:
So basically it's The Sky Crawlers, yeah, that's what I remembered. Sleep inducing. lol, I'm not going to plunk lots of money down for it or anything but if it looked nice I could see buying it for...I dunno...$20 is probably my limit as a visual whore for one movie I'm not terribly fond of. (I have done this in the past, it's really sad, because good-looking movies I don't love just end up being occasional pretty wallpaper for my television. Sigh. What's wrong with me.)
Oh, so you've seen it? Pretty wallpaper for your TV? You've got some odd quirks, lol. Well it IS pretty and if you happen to use it as, what would the audio equivalent of wallpaper be, background noise as well it sounds great in both English and Japanese.
icarus-daedelus said:
That's what I mean. I remember buying this set on a whim for $20, sweet zombie Jesus that was a good impulse buy.
Yeah, I adore the movie although I have to admit it's also kind of boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom