• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

EoE looked really goddamn cool, that's all I need.

Other than Kaiji, this is the only anime I'm watching. Never read the manga, so don't know how the story progresses, but so far it seems like a typical shonen anime. And the main character seems quite likable. While I'm at it, gotta say I love the ending song. K-pop GAF may be interested.
Yeah, the ending for Blue Exorcist is... bad.

firehawk12 said:
You'd think there'd be a lot of that stuff, wouldn't you?

I'm probably one of the few people here who went through the entire thing in one run though, so I didn't have the "benefit" of desperately anticipating the movie or whatever.

I don't think anyone is going to change my mind that the movie ruins the subtlety of the TV ending.
I'd hardly call the TV ending subtle.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
firehawk12 said:
You'd think there'd be a lot of that stuff, wouldn't you?

I'm probably one of the few people here who went through the entire thing in one run though, so I didn't have the "benefit" of desperately anticipating the movie or whatever.

I don't think anyone is going to change my mind that the movie ruins the subtlety of the TV ending.

EoE came out like a year and 4 months after the TV series ended in Japan (March 1996, July 1997). I'm sure that not many people here saw the TV series before EoE was out :p

EoE accomplishes everything that the TV end does but does it with masterfully vivid aesthetics that trumps the TV end at every turn.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Crakatak187 said:
Ano Hana only 11 damn. Was hoping for a normal 24-26.
Yep, lately the only noitanimA shows that get more than a single season are the supernatural/science fiction ones. But I think we should be glad that Fractale and C didn't get 22 episode runs.

Nonoriri said:
EoE came out like a year and 4 months after the TV series ended in Japan (March 1996, July 1997). I'm sure that not many people here saw the TV series before EoE was out :p
After braving EvaGeeks for a few days, nothing would surprise me. :p

Nonoriri said:
EoE accomplishes everything that the TV end does but does it with masterfully vivid aesthetics that trumps the TV end at every turn.
It's a film for action fiends and plot/exposition whores. I'm not saying that's bad, but it's definitely not my cup of tea.

Also, I guess this Endless Eight anime thread discussion is my fault. :p

(I still don't get how anyone would think that the TV ending is different from the movie ending. Like, it's literally impossible for me to see how anyone would come to that conclusion.)

flawfuls

firehawk12 said:
Yep, lately the only noitanimA shows that get more than a single season are the supernatural/science fiction ones. But I think we should be glad that Fractale and C didn't get 22 episode runs.

Well it was Shiki was the only one. Honey and Clover and Nodame also had multiple seasons, but they were split.

qcf x2

I watched it in one go ~2 yrs ago. All the endings for Eva sucked to some degree, but none were as offensively bad as the original ending. So many things were perfect about the series, shame about the way it finished.

Speaking of old Gainax, what's the consensus on This Ugly Yet Beautiful World? I'm thinking about starting either that or Tatami Galaxy.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
11 episodes is more than adequate for a original anime series; it's only manga adaptations that usually suffer from having a 11-episode season see wandering son and kuragehime.

Plus i can't foresee how they could possibly extend anohana concept to more than 11 episodes.:p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
flawfuls said:
Well it was Shiki was the only one. Honey and Clover and Nodame also had multiple seasons, but they were split.
Hrm, for some reason I thought there was another show that got 22 episodes right before Shiki, but that was a brain fart.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
firehawk12 said:
It's a film for action fiends and plot/exposition whores. I'm not saying that's bad, but it's definitely not my cup of tea.

Also, I guess this Endless Eight anime thread discussion is my fault. :p

(I still don't get how anyone would think that the TV ending is different from the movie ending. Like, it's literally impossible for me to see how anyone would come to that conclusion.)

But the second half of EoE is...abstract visuals with really blunt dialogue that serves no real purpose but to have the characters explain exactly how they feel (which is like the TV end but framed differently) and the "plot" is just the logical conclusion/culmination of all the cryptic nonsense that was sprinkled throughout the TV series. The TV end might be the ending which examines what is truly important to the creators but EoE doesn't cheapen anything, it's literally the same thing but with more radical and pronounced visuals and the requisite denouement that the TV end lacked.

Geneijin

firehawk12 said:
Let's go back to 10 years ago when *actual spoilers*
Shinji accepts instrumentality in the TV series and rejects it in the movie.

Dead

well not really...yet
qcf x2 said:
I watched it in one go ~2 yrs ago. All the endings for Eva sucked to some degree, but none were as offensively bad as the original ending. So many things were perfect about the series, shame about the way it finished.

Speaking of old Gainax, what's the consensus on This Ugly Yet Beautiful World? I'm thinking about starting either that or Tatami Galaxy.
Its the worst show Gainax ever produced

Some would argue "he is my master" is worse, but really, at least that show had no pretensions about what it was.

Deadman Wonderland

Went back to read the corresponding chapters and it looks like a lot got changed. A seemingly important female character was omitted entirely and Ganta making a strategy in the last round of the Dog Race was never shown. There were a bunch of other smaller changes, but those are the big ones. Some stuff also got censored like I thought.

Don't know how this will affect things later, but I imagine it will be significant. Might read the manga alongside the anime.

qcf x2

Dead said:

Some would argue "he is my master" is worse, but really, at least that show had no pretensions about what it was.

Jeez, really? I think it's only 12 eps so I'll give it a shot. I loved Mahoromatic and I know a lot of people disliked that too.

Lafiel said:
Nichijou 26.
Oh, thanks for this too. I was wondering about this earlier in the thread. I have to say I'm curious as to how this can go on for 26 episodes. I've enjoyed the three so far, but I can't see how much more there can be...

Ezalc

X-men 4
Well that was great, but I still don't like the loli in this show. Seriously think that she should have been at least a college freshman or something. Anyways, it also looks like they messed up with her power. From what I read she's supposed to be able to get hit by lasers as in it goes through her armor because it's light. When they fought that cyborg motherfucker it didn't even phase her.

Dresden

I was wondering why I didn't like Menma's design so much. Then it all became clear.

ck0x0l.jpg

vocab

Dead said:

HIMM is probably in my top 3 for worst series of all time. I stop watching Gainax shows after I went through that trainwreck. Dokuro chan is up there as well.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nonoriri said:
But the second half of EoE is...abstract visuals with really blunt dialogue that serves no real purpose but to have the characters explain exactly how they feel (which is like the TV end but framed differently) and the "plot" is just the logical conclusion/culmination of all the cryptic nonsense that was sprinkled throughout the TV series. The TV end might be the ending which examines what is truly important to the creators but EoE doesn't cheapen anything, it's literally the same thing but with more radical and pronounced visuals and the requisite denouement that the TV end lacked.
The "abstract" half of EoE is still exposition of sorts. Like I said two or three threads ago, it's as if someone made a side-quel to 2001: A Space Odyssey where they tried to show what actually happened at the end of that movie. It's just kind of needless.

icarus-daedelus said:
End of Eva is pretty, but I can't appreciate it purely on that level because I still hate everybody and some of the musical choices are just mystifying to me.

Still enjoyed it more than the tv series, tho.
tsk tsk tsk!

Geneijin said:
Let's go back to 10 years ago when *actual spoilers*
Shinji accepts instrumentality in the TV series and rejects it in the movie.
It still blows my mind. Rarely do I think an interpretation of a text is wrong - if people want to think Evangelion is all about Jesus, more power to them - but that is just wrong.

Dresden said:
I was wondering why I didn't like Menma's design so much. Then it all became clear.

http://i.imgur.com/ck0x0l.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Blue-haired girl PTSD!

mAcOdIn

firehawk12 said:
I think they say that they were in a no name town and it was essentially the place where they dumped people who didn't fit in anywhere else. It's why they don't even get a tank and only get to play at being soldiers.

It's why you get the contrast between "real soldiers" - the evil Colonel guy - and the main cast. If anything, none of them actually want to be soldiers in the traditional sense.
None of that shit matters because it was done poorly. Lots of people in the military now have no desire to play the military game, they could have pulled it off way better.
tiff said:
That reminds me, I really need to get caught up with Alive :(
You do! Ryuken's been in both the first and second episodes.
Steroyd said:
It's all creepy no matter what, it's the difference between creepy lolicon raper dude and creepy raper dude.

I just find the creepyness goes up a notch if he's been sniffing her clothes for 5 years with his last memory of her srill being a 10 year old.
I really don't think it's creepy though.

First off, I don't believe a person does actually ever need to "move on."

Second, I still think it's unfair to float the possibility of him being creepy lolicon raper dude when we're seemingly both in agreement that her being a loli is just happenstance, had she died at 18 he'd be sniffing an 18 year old girl's clothes, presumably he liked the actual person not her size or age.

Third, if you're going to remember someone you'd be hard pressed to find a more effective way than the sense of smell, seriously. He's showing those losers who just keep photographs how it's really done.

Although I have to admit I do wonder if after 5 years the clothes even still smell like her.
Hitokage said:
That drawing of Index makes it look like she's melted a bit onto the floor.
Reminds me of a Bear rug.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
mAcOdIn said:
None of that shit matters because it was done poorly. Lots of people in the military now have no desire to play the military game, they could have pulled it off way better.
Well, that's only if you assume that the show was trying to be some kind of military science fiction show in the first place.

Geneijin

Tiger & Bunny - 4
Blue Rose needs a better catchphrase. And more than one of them for each appropriate situation.
It would have been a nice end to a decent episode.

mAcOdIn said:
Although I have to admit I do wonder if after 5 years the clothes even still smell like her.
Assuming it's not worn at all and it's kept in a drawer or something? Yes.

Assuming Jinta was the one who prompted him to do so since years ago? Even more so.

Articalys said:
Here I am again to report some stuff.

First, confirmation that Bandai has licensed Star Driver even though it was painfully obvious from their teaser a week ago. Nice to be 100% sure though.

Additionally, for anyone who need even more of their Rie Kugimiya fix, Funimation will be simulcasting/streaming Hidan no Aria.

And that's the R1 news for the day.

Awesome, now if they would have only announced some cast members for a dub (well hopefully it gets one). I wish they would have said if Gundam 00 and Geass would get Blu-Ray collections.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hen Semi Episode 3
How am I supposed to keep liking this show when they continue to skirt around anything sexual in the TV series? The only talking points it leaves them with is body odors and sweat secretions. So boring.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
Isn't this exactly what the Arthur C. Clarke novel 2001: A Space Odyssey does? It was written simultaneously with the movie, but other than that...
Sure, but they didn't film it because no one understood the movie. :lol
2010 is sort of the perfect example of what happens when you decide to try to play that story straight anyway.

Sorry broseph, I know you liked it, but I found the tv series kind of excruciating. I'm sure this is all beating a pulpy mess on the floor that might have remotely resembled a dead horse once, though, which is to say that I'm sure I'm not the first person to have aired such an opinion on an internet forum before. :p
Hehe, yeah, that's true.
On the subject of stupid comparisons though, would it be trolling to say Eva > first 13 episodes of Utena? :lol

mAcOdIn

firehawk12 said:
Well, that's only if you assume that the show was trying to be some kind of military science fiction show in the first place.
As I said, I admit my preconceived notion of what the show would be directly influenced my feelings towards it.
Geneijin said:
Assuming it's not worn at all and it's kept in a drawer or something? Yes.
Well it's not every day a renown sniffer such as yourself chimes in on the issue so I'm forced to accept your answer as fact.

doomed1 said:
Really? Are the characters REALLY that bizarre? I know plenty of people like the characters on the show, myself included. Maybe it's just the off-kilter framing? I'm pretty damned good at seeing through a show's framing to get to the real meat. I just get the impression that the perspective of the show frames the characters as "bizarre", because their base characters are all pretty standard stuff. The weirdest thing that's happened so far is Sandwich Girl showing up in a sandwich costume, which basically said to me: "Oh, she has a part time job getting people to go to a local eatery". Nothing too bizarre to me.

I'd like to hear your reasoning though. That's definitely interesting to me.

You know a girl stuffed in a futon who thinks she's an alien? You lead an interesting life!

Also, most people are bizarre when you think about it. Even with myself, I occasionally feel like I'm observing an alien being.

But as to why Denpa Onna strikes me as so strange: Part of it is the animation and direction. (In SHAFT-world, necks are for twisting!) Part of it is unexpected and irrational reactions of the characters (Erio throws a stool onto the kitchen table, so Meme picks up her by her feet, spins her around wildly and throws her through the closed door! Ryuuko needs to look at the map to the MC's house, so instead of taking a hand off her bike handle, she picks it up with her teeth!) But a big, big reason for it is the dialogue. Even besides Erio's obtuse alien-talk, everyone talks in this roundabout and non-sequiturish way.

"I don't know if I shouldn't be able to see it or shouldn't see it, but there's something kind of worrying on my right."
"Ghosts always appear from your left."
"I didn't bring this up to talk about the horizons of the scientific and the spiritual! Okay. I don't like roundabout conversations, so I'll say it straight."
"Proposing already?"
"No one said anything about hyacinths!"

And so on. I suspect this would run smoother if I was fluent in Japanese, but as it is the conversation appears to run by some inner logic which I am not privy to. Much of the enjoyment I get watching Denpa Onna is trying to figure out that inner logic, like the MC has to decipher Erio's speech.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well since K-ON! Volume 1 gets in for me on the 26th. I'll try to write a detailed review of the individual episodes as I watch them so 1 a day.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I hear from people who've read the Nichijou manga that the show is a massive improvement. I blame the source material for now.

I still do like the show, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom