• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
If you're directing that comparison specifically towards mine eyes, then, well, obviously yes. You cut me deeply, sir. :p

In the grand scheme of things, no, not really, as long as you realize that they're purposely trying to keep the facade of some semblance of normality up during those first thirteen episodes. It serves a structural purpose, but it's not really a good basis upon which to judge the series as a whole. And, you know, as long as you watch the rest of the series someday so we can have a real conversation about it... ~_^
One of these days. I'm supposed to watch Arjuna sometime as well. :lol

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
hosannainexcelsis said:
I like Nichijou, and as long as it keeps up its current quality will be totally fine with however much of it KyoAni gives me.
It just feels like I'm to spoiled by K-ON (lol) they are certain scenes throughout the series so far that really showcase Kyoani talent, but then we haft to have around 6 to 8 minutes of dull filler in between that awesomeness, K-ON in comparison feels more consistently engaging.

Reminds me once i am done with utena and kaiji s1, i really need to get around to finishing off K-ON S2!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
Hopefully the inevitable Nichijou Movie will feature the scientist and the robot surfing on the back of David Hasselhoff.
I remember being like one out of 4 people in the theatre who laughed when that happened. Ahhhh, memories.

Well, just so we're clear on ranking order,
last 13 episodes of Utena > Adolescence Apocalypse > middle 13 episodes of Utena > first 13 episodes of Utena >>>>>> EoE > Evangelion TV

Wait, why do you have to watch Earth Girl Arjuna?
Now that's just trolling!

And, Branduil said I should and I haven't really been feeling Bebop too much, so what the heck? I like trainwrecks as much as anyone else!

Lafiel said:
Reminds me once i am done with utena and kaiji s1, i really need to get around to finishing off K-ON S2!
After watching that "Anime for women" OVA, I almost want to go through K-On!! again.

Of course, I'm amazed that Reiko Yoshida also scripted Bakuman and that turned out to be a disaster.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
I hope that you mean that there were four people, total, in the theater and that all of you consistently lol'd at every bit of brilliance that is Spongebob Squarepants The Movie.
SpongeBob movie > Utena movie.
Also: theatre, centre, colour!

Is it still trolling if that's how I really feel? ;) Because without breaking Revolutionary Girl Utena up into chunks for no raisin I'd still think
Utena TV > Utena Movie > EoE > NGE TV
which is basically the same thing. And you're the one who brought up that dumb comparison anyhow!
I suppose it is my fault. :lol

Unless you've been forced into watching shitty animus by a blood pact with a so-called "friend," I wouldn't let it take priority over actual good things like Utena and Bebop. Even if you somehow manage to dislike Bebop.
Ah, your Key pact. :p
I think it's more that I'm somewhat curious and that it's only 12 episodes; In the case of old animu, shorter is better.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Salazar said:
Still want a proper ancient Egypt animu. Harems, slaves, charioteers, embalmers, mummies. Rich animu territory and no mistake.
Anime version of Antony and Cleopatra!

icarus-daedelus said:
True story 1: I actually love both of those movies and have watched each an embarrassing number of times. So it's impossible to troll me with such a comment!
True story 2: Google Chrome is telling me that "colour" is a misspelling of some sort. What is it, a perfume brand?
Doh! And colour is the proper way to spell colour in English. Obviously your Chrome is set to "Ameriglish"!

Not just your fault, hon, you were actively asking for it. :3
Indeed. :p

That reminds me. Gotta finish Angel Beatz. God dammit, firehawk.
Ah, never forget! :D

Dresden

cosmicblizzard said:
Someone better be making a game. I can think up like a billion strategies from those rules.
I can't wait for the collectible trading card game.

I hope the deals conducted within the district might impact actual stocks or something - so the losses would break banks and impoverish a dozen middle-class families even as you stuff your own pockets.

Salazar said:
Still want a proper ancient Egypt animu. Harems, slaves, charioteers, embalmers, mummies. Rich animu territory and no mistake.
Like Yu-Gi-Oh? :p

flawfuls

Salazar said:

They should make an Ouke no Monshou anime. All 55+ volumes or bust.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Dresden said:
You could always try Sengoku Basara. :3

You know I gave that a shot a few months ago, I honestly couldn't get into it, but I only watched the first episode. The comedy just didn't do anything for me

Kinitari said:
Give me some advice then. Fantasy environment preferred, a good dose of action, and comedy.

Fantasy environment like Slayers (medieval-esq), or just something with major fantasy elements? If it's the former, then I guess Legendary Heroes might be something to check out. Surprisingly, there's also Dog Days.

IDK, there's not much recently for some reason. Used to be such a popular setting too.

Dresden

Kinitari said:
You know I gave that a shot a few months ago, I honestly couldn't get into it, but I only watched the first episode. The comedy just didn't do anything for me
Boo-urns.

Try Dororon Enma-kun, maybe. It's hard to recommend older shows without knowing what you've watched.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
cosmicblizzard said:
Fantasy environment like Slayers (medieval-esq), or just something with major fantasy elements? If it's the former, then I guess Legendary Heroes might be something to check out. Surprisingly, there's also Dog Days.

IDK, there's not much recently for some reason. Used to be such a popular setting too.

Either or. Just not really feeling like a realistic portrayal of the world right now. Don't get me wrong, some of my favourite anime are like that (Maison Ikkoku <3) just need something to mix it up. Sad that there isn't much, I guess we can't have a Gurren laggan every season.

Dresden said:
Boo-urns.

Try Dororon Enma-kun, maybe. It's hard to recommend older shows without knowing what you've watched.

That's the problem, I've watched a lot - it's probably safer if you stick to the last year or two of anime, I've been out of the loop for about that long. (that's not to say I haven't caught some of the good stuff) - for now, I'll watch an episode or two of Legendary whatsit, see if it sits well with me.

Edit: What is it about Dororon that reminds me of 80's animation?

Kinitari said:
Either or. Just not really feeling like a realistic portrayal of the world right now. Don't get me wrong, some of my favourite anime are like that (Maison Ikkoku <3) just need something to mix it up. Sad that there isn't much, I guess we can't have a Gurren laggan every season.

Ah, well if you're fine with something like modern day Japan but with crazy fantasy elements, there's a ton to choose from. Dororon-enma Kun, Blue Exorcist (can't speak for the comedy yet though), C maybe if it gets funnier, Toriko. Some other stuff that I can't remember now. I'll look through some recent shows to see what else there is.

zeroshiki

Kinitari said:

People suggesting Dog Days or freaking Dororon Enma from a fantasy request are insane. Try Scrapped Princess.

flawfuls

Kinitari said:
Give me some advice then. Fantasy environment preferred, a good dose of action, and comedy.

Have you seen Seirei no Moribito? There isn't much comedy, but it's an excellent fantasy anime.

zeroshiki

Kinitari said:
Well.. fuck.

Seen it :( I liked it, it wasn't amazing or anything, but it was good.

Well, if you mean fantasy in the middle ages Europe sense, Spice and Wolf could also qualify. It has the added benefit of being an awesome anime plus Kallen and Lelouch.

Dresden said:
How are they not fantasy?

Dog Days is a bad show and Dororon Enma didn't seem like the type he was looking for considering he asked about Legend of Legendary Heroes.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
zeroshiki said:
Well, if you mean fantasy in the middle ages Europe sense, Spice and Wolf could also qualify. It has the added benefit of being an awesome anime plus Kallen and Lelouch.

Dog Days is a bad show and Dororon Enma didn't seem like the type he was looking for considering he asked about Legend of Legendary Heroes.

Just to be clear, I would be happy with non-fantasy as well - for example, the last anime I watched that I really liked (aside from the slightly thick application of fan service) was Kenichi. I'm just feeling actiony, fantasy action preferred - be that medieval or current day with lightning bolts.

Lain

zeroshiki said:
What?!

Kallen as Holo and Lelouch in general are awesome.
But Holo is a troll, wouldn't C.C. be the one right for the part?

Oh, and yeah, watch Spice and Wolf. I finished the first season a couple of days ago, it was pretty good stuff.

qcf x2

Kinitari said:

Recently:
Madoka
High school of the Dead

A few yrs ago:
Ga-Rei Zero
Kurozuka (not funny but 99.9% well animated action)

^ IMO both of those shows were very underrated.

I think the closest I've seen to ancient Egypt in anime was in Nadia. They would just destroy any setting with potential with moe anyway.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
zeroshiki said:
I haven't been around for a couple of days. Did Geneijin bail on his own OT? I see he has a Moshidora av now.
Yes all because of that "scene" in episode 2 of Anohana!

Kinitari said:
Just to be clear, I would be happy with non-fantasy as well - for example, the last anime I watched that I really liked (aside from the slightly thick application of fan service) was Kenichi. I'm just feeling actiony, fantasy action preferred - be that medieval or current day with lightning bolts.

Kenichi eh?

Hmmmmmmmm...(Last time I'm pimping that thread, I promise)

Not everything in there is comedy or new, but you should find something.

zeroshiki

Kinitari said:

Hanasaku Iroha or C for this season.

Lain said:
But Holo is a troll, wouldn't C.C. be the one right for the part?
Oh, and yeah, watch Spice and Wolf. I finished the first season a couple of days ago, it was pretty good stuff.

I can't really recommend Wagaya no Oinari-sama so C.C./Yukana is out.

cosmicblizzard said:
He wants action.

Err... damn. Spice and Wolf has some action.

Dresden

zeroshiki said:
I haven't been around for a couple of days. Did Geneijin bail on his own OT? I see he has a Moshidora av now.
To be fair, he's been pimping Moshidora for months.

qcf x2 said:
A few yrs ago:
Ga-Rei Zero
Kurozuka (not funny but 99.9% well animated action)

^ IMO both of those shows were very underrated.
Yeah, Ga-Rei Zero was fun. Lesbians, demons, and holy water steamers - what's not to like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom