• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoka episode 2 - what the hell, now I hear Pokémon music in the classroom. Specifically, the road to Viridian City in the games. LOL

How do these companies get away with this shit lol.

Hanasaku Iroha 3:
This episode felt a bit different than the previous ones. The first part of the episode felt a bit over the top, although the show was quite aware of that and drew attention to just how ridiculous it was. I enjoyed the second half of the episode more, when it started to focus more on the main cast. The insult notebook was a nice touch.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
So, now that Madoka is over, I was thinking of going back and seeing what shows I might have missed over the last several years that might have been awesome.

Can anime-gaf tell me what shows from the last, say, five years are worth watching that I may have (or may not have) missed?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Geneijin said:
In the end, I had to go and listen to this a few times now. I've tried to avoid it too.
c1dgE.jpg

Heartcatch! is manly shit.

GaimeGuy said:
So, now that Madoka is over, I was thinking of going back and seeing what shows I might have missed over the last several years that might have been awesome.

Can anime-gaf tell me what shows from the last, say, five years are worth watching that I may have (or may not have) missed?

Gurren Lagann!

jman2050

GaimeGuy said:

Five years is a really long time honestly, there are too many series from that timespan to count.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
jman2050 said:
Five years is a really long time honestly, there are too many series from that timespan to count.
Fine, llet's start with 2006 and work our way forwards, one year at a time :)

I would make a thread for this if I could...

Jex

Halycon said:
Iroha 4: TWIN DRILLS.

Wow more than just two, her hair has more drills than Gurren Lagann.
I'm pretty sure Miya from Oniisama e... has even more drills. Therefore, she's even wealthier.

Facts.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
GaimeGuy said:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Kurenai
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (shut up ducky)
Toradora!
All the Nodame Cantabile
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Summer Wars
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (might need some background on that though)
Omae Umasou da na (the movie, not the series)
Evangelion 1.0: You are (not) alone
Evangelion 2.0: You can (not) advance
Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt

trejo

GaimeGuy said:

Off the top of my head I'm gonna say Gurren Lagann, Panty & Stocking, Oh! Edo Rocket, FMA: Brotherhood and if you're also looking for some awesome movies then Sword of the Stranger, The Girl Who Leapt Througth Time and Summer Wars.

There's also a plethora of decent shows this season in case you wanna give those a try.

Jex

GaimeGuy said:
Fine, llet's start with 2006 and work our way forwards, one year at a time :)

I would make a thread for this if I could...
I swear at some point I had a little ol' thread set up to answer such questions. Oh yes it's here - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414748. I've listed a hundred shows so you don't have to! Etc.

Technically it's for slightly less mainstream works but I have a section underneath which has "popular shows you might want to check out".

If we keep having decent seasons like this I'll need to throw up a new page on there at some point.

Go_Ly_Dow

Regulus Tera said:
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Kurenai
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (shut up ducky)
Toradora!
All the Nodame Cantabile
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (Movie)
Summer Wars
(Movie)
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (might need some background on that though) (Movie)
Omae Umasou da na (the movie, not the series)
Evangelion 1.0: You are (not) alone
Evangelion 2.0: You can (not) advance
Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt

I've bolded the shows I've seen from this list and I enjoyed them all.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Jexhius said:
I'm pretty sure Miya from Oniisama e... has even more drills. Therefore, she's even wealthier.

Facts.
I see anime wealth is directly proportional to the number of drills in your hair.

THE EVIDENCE IS IRREFUTABLE.

GaimeGuy said:

I'll mention Kanamemo, Chu-Bra, Working, and both seasons of Arakawa Under the Bridge since I'm sure most others won't bother.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
GaimeGuy said:

Kure-nai, Mononoke, Trapeze, Tatami galaxy, Spice and wolf, Gurren lagann Panty and stocking (not for everyone), Bakemonogatari, Baccano, Black lagoon, Kemonozume, off the top of my head. The first 4 shows are must-sees though!

Also haven't seen but heard good things about natsume book of friends.

Actually since i didn't know this extended past 2006. (made some changes)

Some current season shows that are worth following - Hanasaku iroha, Anohana, Dororon enma-kun and to a lesser extent - C and X-men.

I was going to make a list, but it ended up being longer than I thought. So I guess the highlights for me would be: Nana, Nodame Cantabile, Moribito, Oh! Edo Rocket, Mononoke, Denno Coil, Black Lagoon, Spice and Wolf, The Tatami Galaxy, Kanon, Clannad, Angel Beats. 2007 really kicked ass.
You know, you haven't seen trapeze yet? you need to get on that shit, icarus. (assuming you haven't).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Master Milk said:
I'll mention Kanamemo, Chu-Bra, Working, and both seasons of Arakawa Under the Bridge since I'm sure most others won't bother.
As much as I liked Chu-Bra for introducing clinical, maybe even subversive, fanservice, I can't imagine anyone wanting to watch it without any kind of self-awareness.

Jex

Halycon said:
I see anime wealth is directly proportional to the number of drills in your hair.

THE EVIDENCE IS IRREFUTABLE.
Looks like we've stumbled across a solid facts, backed up by three examples.

It's unsinkable.

Jex

Hellsing321 said:
How can you guys forget Baccano!? Best show of 2007.
Considering there were like 200 anime released that year I don't even know if it's possible or necessary to single out one particular show to rule over the rest.

But if I were to commit such a crime, it would be for School Days Mononoke

Dresden

Hellsing321 said:
How can you guys forget Baccano!? Best show of 2007.
I dunno dude. Such a godly year. Mononoke for one.

e: ugh, beaten
firehawk12 said:
Stealing Dresden's joke answer: A Game of Thrones.
Well, it's the only show I'm actually excited to watch on Sundays at least. Wincest and all that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:
Well, it's the only show I'm actually excited to watch on Sundays at least. Wincest and all that.
I'd like to think that Game of Thrones and Treme has the most diametrically opposed audience outside of the Superbowl and America's Top Model.

icarus-daedelus said:
Assuming this joke is taking the tack I think it is, it's unfair to single out AGoT because premium pay channel shows are almost all like that. Here's some tits and gore just because we can, not because it'll actually add anything of substance to the narrative. :p
Naw, it's just that phantasy and syfy is basically white-people animu. Except on HBO
incest
is classy. :lol

Also, if we're going back that far, Aria the Origination, yo!

Cwarrior

Aigis said:
It's not as good as Mononoke or Gurren Lagann.

edit: :mad:

Haven’t seen mononoke, baccano is definitely better then gurrn lagann

need to watch monoke someday once am finished my huge backlog(so 2013)

Jexhius said:
Pff, that's going a little too far back!

Anyway, every recommendation on this page is already encapsulated in this thread, which only makes sense considering everyone here recommended shows for it.

damn you and your thread making skills, now my backlog got a lot bigger

flawfuls

KuwabaraTheMan said:
It's amazing, but not the best show of 2007. Ookiku Furikabutte aired in 2007, after all. Baccano is right up there, however.

I'm a huge fan of Ookiku Furikabutte, but I wouldn't go that far. 2007 was an insane year. Season two was the best show of 2010 however.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
Also, if we're going back that far, Aria the Origination, yo!

Anyway, every recommendation on this page is already encapsulated in this thread, which only makes sense considering everyone here recommended shows for it.

Nichijou 03 - Most of it was pretty funny, but by the arm-wrestling part I was starting to get a little tired of that part (Yukko v. Mai)... still though, when she pulled out that broccoli, earlier on? Hilarious. I laughed for a while at that one. :D

Also, so Hakase is eight (and the robot one). Is she actually a professor, or does her robot just call her that? Seeing Sakamoto's backstory was nice, though. Kitties are cute. The part where he allowed them to pet his belly without complaint, though? Yeah, cats are probably going to claw you when you try that...

A Black Falcon said:
Nichijou 03 - Most of it was pretty funny, but by the arm-wrestling part I was starting to get a little tired of that part (Yukko v. Mai)... still though, when she pulled out that broccoli, earlier on? Hilarious. I laughed for a while at that one. :D

Also, so Hakase is eight (and the robot one). Is she actually a professor, or does her robot just call her that? Seeing Sakamoto's backstory was nice, though. Kitties are cute. The part where he allowed them to pet his belly without complaint, though? Yeah, cats are probably going to claw you when you try that...
She seems to have built the robot, as she's always modding it, so she's a scientist of some sort, which would qualify her for the Professor title.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
flawfuls said:
I'm a huge fan of Ookiku Furikabutte, but I wouldn't go that far. 2007 was an insane year. Season two was the best show of 2010 however.
Had Giant Killing that year too for Sports anime. Thus a good year.

But there is only one true best of 2007. OverDrive !>_<!

Joule

2007 was a good year. HidaSketch's first season, Sketchbook ~ full colors, Potemayo, Zetsubou's first season, Minami-ke's first season, Seto no Hanayome, ... along with the other aforementioned greats for that year.

5cm/s was also 2007.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
But nearly everyone watches the Superbowl, which would necessarily include the audience for America's Next Top Model.
If you aired the finale of America's Next Top Model against the Superbowl, I'm sure that'd be considered genius counter programming. It's like when generic romcom starring Jennifer Aniston runs against generic bro movie like Batman vs Iron Man 3.

I just think everyone who watches A Game of Thrones is going to turn off HBO and then a whole new set of people will turn on HBO to watch Treme. Such an odd pairing.

icarus-daedelus said:
Thought about that too, but the series proper started in 2005, which is outside of the given time frame.
Jexhius said:
Origination is technically 2008 so... whee. :p

A Black Falcon said:

There's more Sakamoto wackiness in episode 4!

Instro

Joule said:
2007 was a good year. HidaSketch's first season, Sketchbook ~ full colors, Potemayo, Zetsubou's first season, Minami-ke's first season, Seto no Hanayome, ... along with the other aforementioned greats for that year.

5cm/s was also 2007.

Kaiji also started in 2007 didnt it?

trejo

I think we can all agree, though, that School Days is one of the best shows to come out during that timeframe and that GaimeGuy should marathon it and post impressions for us post-haste.

Lain

Master Milk said:
Glad to see someone else recognize that Kanamemo was a worth watch of the last few years. The first episode is still one of the most amusing of the whole show for me thanks to the frog in the bag.

Instro

trejo said:
I think we can all agree, though, that School Days is one of the best shows to come out during that timeframe and that GaimeGuy should marathon it and post impressions for us post-haste.

Well that goes without saying doesn't it?

Go_Ly_Dow

trejo said:

I concur. I definitely recommend that after GaimeGuy is back in the anime groove he should watch School Days. What a show!

Jex

Just for reference, here's a selection of notable anime from 2007:

5 cms/per second
The Adventures of Tweeny Witches
Afro Samurai
Baccano!
Bambo Blade
Big Windup
Darker Than Black
Dennou Coil
Evangelion 1.0
GeGeGe no Kitaro
Genshiken
Ghost Hound
Gurren Lagann
Hidamari Sketch
Phantom Blood
Kaiji
Gundam 00
Mononoke
Moyashimon
Moribito
Noadame Cantabile
Oh! Edo Rocket
Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei
School Days
Shigurui
Skull Man
Sword of the Stranger
Sweat Punch

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
trejo said:

GaimeGuy be a bro. Do this.

Joule

Lain said:
Glad to see someone else recognize that Kanamemo was a worth watch of the last few years. The first episode is still one of the most amusing of the whole show for me thanks to the frog in the bag.
It was something I watched on a whim and it wasn't that bad. I was mildly amused enough to finish it. There were some funny antics here and there.

Cwarrior

Maison Ikkoku ep6

just wow what a dick ronin is, after finding out kyoko’s husband is dead, first thing he thinks about is how if he was still alive she would be able to find faults in him and how his at a disadvantage against her dead husband who cause is dead is now invincible(in her mind).

they don't make anime music like they use too, the style of music in 80s-early90s are quite different from todays animes.

Yotsuya already my fav character out the bunch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom