• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.
firehawk12 said:
Depends on what you like, but for me it's Nichijou, AnoHana and Hanasaku Iroha. Honourable mention goes to TWGOK2 if only for episode 7.

tiff said:
Depends on your tastes. Going by your avatar I'd recommend, uh...

I hear Kaiji is good?

Ha well despite what you may think my tastes are pretty broad. Nichijou didn't click with me but AnoHana and Hanasaku Iroha seem really great.

I saw the first season of Kaiji and I might check out season two when its finished.

What about these did any turn out good or are they to be avoided:
Denpa Onna
Deadman Wonderland
Stein;gate
Ao no Exorcist
Hidan no Aria
Oretachi

Liquid_Bike said:
If I was going to pick up a couple of spring shows what would you guys recommend? Its hard to sift through this thread and find out what the top picks are.

Something for everyone this season, so we'll need to know what you like before recommending anything.

If you want badass shounen action, check out Toriko, Ao no Exorcist, and perhaps Deadman Wonderland. If you want drama, check out Hanasaku Iroha and Anohana. If you want comedy, there's Sket Dance, Nichijou, and Gintama. If you want manliness, there's Kaiji, Dororon Enma-kun and Tiger & Bunny. If you want mind fucks, there's Steins;Gate.

Liquid_Bike said:
Denpa Onna
Deadman Wonderland
Stein;gate
Ao no Exorcist
Hidan no Aria
Oretachi

Deadman Wonderland, Hidan no Aria, and Oretachi are all awful and should be avoided. Ao no Exorcist seems like a decent shonen show. Opinions vary on Denpa Onna; I liked the opening episodes but haven't kept up with it. I haven't seen Steins;Gate because I don't want to spoil the VN, but the general judgement is it's an interesting story with lousy direction.

Liquid_Bike said:
Ha well despite what you may think my tastes are pretty broad. Nichijou didn't click with me but AnoHana and Hanasaku Iroha seem really great.

I saw the first season of Kaiji and I might check out season two when its finished.

Denpa Onna
Deadman Wonderland
Stein;gate
Ao no Exorcist
Hidan no Aria
Oretachi

Denpa is alright. Has some interesting characters.

Everyone here will tell you Deadman Wonderland sucks, but I think it's great. If you like stories where insanity is a major theme, definitely check it out. Has a character with EXCELLENT slasher eyes and some cool blood manipulation fights.

Ao no Exorcist is good. I would say it's like a combination of Soul Eater and Naruto. Probably gonna have a shit ending though since the manga is still going and in the early stages.

Liquid_Bike said:
If I was going to pick up a couple of spring shows what would you guys recommend? Its hard to sift through this thread and find out what the top picks are.
Show people have enjoyed:
Ano Hana
Hansaku Iroha
[C]-Control
Tiger and Bunny
Blue Exorcist
Steins;Gate
Denpa Onna
Nichijou
Dororon Enma-Kun

DISCLAIMER: I make to claim to the quality of individual shows with this post nor have I watched all the shows in this post. I am just listing shows which have been talked about and received some praise in this thread.

Thanks for the recommendations guys! I'm definitely looking for a good drama. Anything with good character development. I don't mind romance either as long as its not an outright harem. I've always found shounen shows a little hit and miss, as long as there is a limited number of episodes and tight plot I don't mind watching a well produced one.

I'll check out some of your recommendations and report back.

trejo

Liquid_Bike said:

Denpa Onna Proceed cautiously
Deadman Wonderland AVOID
Stein;gate Proceed
Ao no Exorcist Proceed
Hidan no Aria Proceed for the lulz
Oretachi I'd avoid but there are cake fights, so maybe chek out more?

I'd also recommend Sket Dance. It's a lighhearted comedy with some instances of drama but it's well handled for the most part.

There's also Azazel-san, which is the actual funniest show of the season, imo. And Fireball Charming, which everyone should be watching anyway.

Steroyd

Liquid_Bike said:

Denpa Onna - Good
Deadman Wonderland - Meh
Stein;gate - Good
Ao no Exorcist - Good
Hidan no Aria - Worse anime of the season... should be popcorned.
Oretachi - dunno

Other reccomendations:

[C]
Hanasaku Iroha
Ano Hana
Dororon Enma-Kun
Madoka
Tiger and Bunny
Nichijou - can be hot and cold in same episode.
Kaiji
Sket Dance
Gintama

It's a crazy season, which is why eveyone is reluctant to pull out a list when you first asked.

jman2050

hosannainexcelsis said:
Deadman Wonderland, Hidan no Aria, and Oretachi are all awful and should be avoided. Ao no Exorcist seems like a decent shonen show. Opinions vary on Denpa Onna; I liked the opening episodes but haven't kept up with it. I haven't seen Steins;Gate because I don't want to spoil the VN, but the general judgement is it's an interesting story with lousy direction.

Hidan no Aria is amazing and should be watched by everyone at all costs.

Also Denpa Onna is the best show this season.

Articalys

Can someone remind me how/when hating on Shinkai became the "cool" thing to do? I thought people were generally okay with him after The Place Promised in Our Early Days.

hosannainexcelsis said:
Detective Conan 22-23

These two-parters have been the most interesting cases by far. You can't really set up an elaborate mystery in 30 minutes; the stand-alone episodes can be a little too easy to predict.

Kogoro was surprisingly competent, even if Conan had to knock him out at the end as always.

Yeah, the multi-part episodes are generally the best, because you can get more involved mysteries and a lot more set-up and character development. Eventually, those become the norm for the show, with relatively few single episode cases.

Jex

jman2050 said:
Love the material, hate some of the decisions with the direction, I guess?

I mean stuff like George being a boss dresser:
georgeboss.jpg

And Lupin references:
paralupin.jpg

Are great. But randomly switching art styles in important scenes, having a WIPE every single transition, making a scene last only seven seconds and some weird camera placement are very annoying features that I wish would go away.

But then all the rest of the show is SO GOOD. For starters, everyone's forgotten to read from the shoujo/romance anime guidebook and so they don't understand how teenagers are supposed to behave in anime! So childhood friends are love interests, even love rivals! Teenagers are purportedly engaging in sexual acts. People you have a crush on can be asked out in a couple of episodes and then be forgotten about! IT'S MADNESS.

trejo

Just how many Ries are there in this thread?
Articalys said:
Can someone remind me how/when hating on Shinkai became the "cool" thing to do? I thought people were generally okay with him after The Place Promised in Our Early Days.
He's just made the one movie and renamed it a couple of times, spewing forth the same themes over and over. Some people have grown tired of his shtick.

Having said that, his new movie looks like it could be interesting. Dude makes some fine-ass clouds, too.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Liquid_Bike said:
Dororon Enma-kun.

Jex

I'd also like to point out that George from Paradise Kiss doesn't attempt to pick up women by being bland and running away from them, like a harem protagonist. Firstly, he dresses like a boss, and drives a sweet car. More importantly he engages in stuff like teasing a character, being nice, paying attention to her, then being rude, being friendly and finally ignoring the hell out of her until it drives her crazy. This kind of extensive manoeuvring is too much for your average anime protagonist.

Jexhius said:
But then all the rest of the show is SO GOOD. For starters, everyone's forgotten to read from the shoujo/romance anime guidebook and so they don't understand how teenagers are supposed to behave in anime! So childhood friends are love interests, even love rivals! Teenagers are purportedly engaging in sexual acts. People you have a crush on can be asked out in a couple of episodes and then be forgotten about! IT'S MADNESS.

Yeah, that's what makes Paradise Kiss (and Yazawa's work in general) so great. It's really refreshing to see characters who completely buck the trend and don't behave like stock characters.

It's real drama, not anime drama.

Cwarrior

Liquid_Bike said:

Denpa Onna Terrible but not bad enough to be good
Deadman Wonderland only seen ep1 bad from what i watched
Stein;gate great some good lols to be found and great characters
Ao no Exorcist pretty good
Hidan no Aria seen ep1 so bad it quite funny and sad that someone green lit it
Oretachi i don't what this is

flawfuls

Bungaku Shoujo Memoir 2

So this is why childhoods friends never win in anime. If they are actually put in a leading they can't the pressure and
commit suicide.

trejo

Dawg Dayz 8

Dawgz outsmarting the catz. Superiority confirmed.

Things could potentially get good now, provided we get some cool fights.
Ezalc said:
I just started watching Ristorante Paradiso, what should I expect?
Old man moé.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ezalc said:
I just started watching Ristorante Paradiso, what should I expect?
Old man moe!
And a decent but perhaps completely unexpected romance.

---

AnoHana 7: A slow little episode that will lead to a big confrontation next week, but there are quite a few things going on here including the square/pentagon/polygon love shape developing, a thematic call back to the ending of Welcome to the NHK and what looks like nostalgia coming to a head. It was surprisingly packed in, considering the Iroha set up episode from a few days ago was fairly light in terms of threads being developed.

Oh yeah, still no answers on the ghost vs hallucination debate. :p
They're trying to lean hard on ghost, this week though.

Ezalc

Wow it's only the first episode, but I already like how classy Claudio is. The fact that there are no prepubescent girls in this show also makes it awesome.

Lain

7Th said:
People love hating on Menma, but Anaru is seriously a much worse character.
I don't understand the hate for Menma, she's pretty cool for a loli ghost.
Anaru on the other hand... She's good for something tho at least.

flawfuls

Bungaku Shoujo - Kyou no Oyatsu~Hatsukoi

Don't really know what the point of that was other than to demonstrate book eatings girl's love of NTR (hopefully this is foreshadowing!). I guess it was supposed to be a general introduction or something.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
flawfuls said:
Bungaku Shoujo - Kyou no Oyatsu~Hatsukoi

Don't really know what the point of that was other than to demonstrate book eatings girl's love of NTR (hopefully this is foreshadowing!). I guess it was supposed to be a general introduction or something.
Wait, there's NTR in Bungaku Shoujo? :lol

Ezalc said:
Wow it's only the first episode, but I already like how classy Claudio is. The fact that there are no prepubescent girls in this show also makes it awesome.
In Rome, all girls are over 18!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Anohana 7 - Pretty good episode, but every scene with anaru bought the show down hard, she's seriously a terrible character in like every way, worst of all she is total otakubait masquerading as a serious character.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Lafiel said:
Anohana 7 - Pretty good episode, but every scene with anaru bought the show down hard, she's seriously a terrible character in like every way, worst of all she is total otakubait masquerading as a serious character.
Freaking crazy. You guys are freaking crazy!

Risette

A Good Citizen
Samurai Champloo 1-5

This show is good. I remember watching an episode of it here and there on Adult Swim when I was younger but I never got around to actually watching it. So I bought the new BD set (which looks great btw) and got to it. Definitely worth the money so far. Such awesome style, music, animation, characters, etc.

iavi

Aigis said:
Samurai Champloo 1-5

This show is good. I remember watching an episode of it here and there on Adult Swim when I was younger but I never got around to actually watching it. So I bought the new BD set (which looks great btw) and got to it. Definitely worth the money so far. Such awesome style, music, animation, characters, etc.

Would you happen to know if they're upscales? Cause I already own the dvd boxset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom