• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.
7Th said:
Oh, Japan.

sunriselaughingallthewaytothebank.jpg
UkJl6l.jpg

BosSin

gaf give me a list of anime movie recommendations and I will watch whichever one seems most interesting (if I haven't seen it yet)

Risette

A Good Citizen
BosSin said:
gaf give me a list of anime movie recommendations and I will watch whichever one seems most interesting (if I haven't seen it yet)
Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise
Sword of the Stranger

Geneijin

Ano Hana - 7
Nonsensical speculation:
It's going to be a team effort to troll her. Jintan will eventually confirm the existence of Menma to the others, and Yukiatsu with the necessary goods for Tsuruko to become Honma Meiko is all in place. They are the Super Peace Busters, yet this won't be in the name of peace if they choose to do this.

syoaran

Callibretto said:
I just watched 8 episodes of Tiger & Bunny, it's really really good. very funny, I LOLed at good luck mode in ep 5, and again in ep 7 during a serious fight. characters are all likeable, the story is getting interesting too.

I know I haven't watched a lot anime for awhile, I just catch up with C, Hanasaku Iroha, Steins Gate and Ao no Exorcist, but Tiger and Bunny is the best anime I watched this year so far.

Not really got the time any more to delve into a lot of anime, but Tiger & Bunny genuinely surprised me as someone interested in making the switch to marketing. It's a fun anime, but I'm amazed at how much leeway the brands featured have given to Sunrise to write the parts.

Also, Steins Gate is very interesting. It's torture for me not to read the video game story and spoil it for me, but I really like it.

Also, got my hands on the existing Bakemonogatari blu-rays. Amazing re-animation and it just looks so crisp ~

syoaran said:
Not really got the time any more to delve into a lot of anime, but Tiger & Bunny genuinely surprised me as someone interested in making the switch to marketing. It's a fun anime, but I'm amazed at how much leeway the brands featured have given to Sunrise to write the parts.

Also, Steins Gate is very interesting. It's torture for me not to read the video game story and spoil it for me, but I really like it.

Also, got my hands on the existing Bakemonogatari blu-rays. Amazing re-animation and it just looks so crisp ~
I did and it sucked out all the enjoyment for me :(

Yeah I know my fault.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
kiryogi said:
Anohana 7: Goddamn @ Ending. Mom so fucking cold. Also, Tsuruko's still sporting the hairclip...
Mom has begun to enter mono no aware mode, finally.

---

Seikai Ichi Hatsukoi 8 - So this has turned into a BL anthology and I'm still surprised at how shoujo this has been. They literally could have replaced all the protagonists with female characters and had the same result... and I know that's part of the illusion, but it's still funny to me. Certainly with that in mind, I have no idea if this is a good representation of queerness in Japan or not. Probably not, since it's all for the sake of women, sort of like Queer Eye for the Straight Guy way back when. :lol

trejo

Denpa Ona 7

You can still turn this around, Shaft. Just make it the Meme show and throw everyone else into the background. It's the only way.

Decado

firehawk12 said:
Yeah, Canada gets screwed. You have to order it from Amazon.com, rightstuf or Bandai.

Maybe if you're lucky, you can find a local animu store that will carry it.
Oh shit. In other words, it's going to be hella expensive :(

Toriko 8

Some bloodless carnage this episode. Wonder if it was like that in the manga. Probably not since there's been some noticeable censorship so far.

Seems like next week will be the first real human(oid) battle. Looks awesome.

iavi

sket dance 6 & 7

has this series always been so emotionally wrought? Or is it the general direction of the anime? Cause if so... I dunno. It's kind of awesome. I just wasn't expecting it.

those two eps are of the better that I've seen this season. And I'm watching just about everything.

flawfuls

Miri said:
sket dance 6 & 7

has this series always been so emotionally wrought? Or is it the general direction of the anime? Cause if so... I dunno. It's kind of awesome. I just wasn't expecting it.

those two eps are of the better that I've seen this season. And I'm watching just about everything.

Yeah it does the dramatic stuff every so often. Just wait until you get to the flashback stories, especially Switch's.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Oniisama e 1-6

Hey, it's Oscar! Oh... OH...

I haven't been disappointed thus far. I didn't have to wait long for the crazy to appear either.

Also, hey, it's Neptune!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hitokage said:
Oniisama e 1-6

I haven't been disappointed thus far. I didn't have to wait long for the crazy to appear either.

Also, hey, it's Neptune!

SLAP!!!!

At this point, you have to watch MariMite sometime.

zeroshiki

Branduil said:
Ano Hana 7

Is it really that easy to just get a job in Japan?

Yes. McDonald's pays $10 an hour in Japan. And they have things like "set your own schedule" and shit. They have a dearth of blue collar workers.

Lain

Eiga Yes! Precure 5 Go Go! Okashi no Kuni no Happy Birthday
Bad guy pops up right before the girls can eat their cake and turn the cake into a monster.
The girls defeat the monster cake so the bad guy steals the cake.
Stealing sweets from a group of girls is really an evil act.

The premise of this movie seems really silly.

Jex

zeroshiki said:
Yes. McDonald's pays $10 an hour in Japan. And they have things like "set your own schedule" and shit. They have a dearth of blue collar workers.
Stupid Japan with it's immigration laws and all that.

That's why you got no birthrate as well!

flawfuls

Hitokage said:
Oniisama e 1-6

Also, hey, it's Neptune!

If you are talking about borrowed characters in Oniisama e, most were ripped strait out of Aim for the Ace. Though it's not really surprising.

Jex

Hitokage said:
Oniisama e 1-6

Also, hey, it's Neptune!
Speaking of crazy, just give yourself a few more episodes...

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
flawfuls said:
If you are talking about borrowed characters in Oniisama e, most were ripped strait out of Aim for the Ace. Though it's not really surprising.
I tried to make it so there was only one logical way to interpret my post.

Sket Dance 8

This show just keeps getting better and better. So much nonsense in this episode.

Futari wa Nervous! is one of the best anime parodies I've seen. Does there exist a show about 20-something married, pregnant magical "girls"? I want to see one now.

Instro

C 7

Back story for Mikuni+Mysu POV was a nice change of pace. Solid episode although it ended abruptly which was weird.

Denpa 7

I really like episodes of shows where you get the POV of another character as mentioned above in C and in this weeks Denpa with Maekawa. Lack of Meme was bad though.

Toriko 8

Awesome episode other than the lack of food, everything is completley over the top all of the time. Whatever is going on in the show it seems to involve hulking up for one reason or another.

Jex

GaoGaiGar 21: Must not make hammer time joke.

Shit.

Anyway, we're continuing the trend of 'introduce a new robot and make them the saviour of the episode' which has been the plot structure for quite some time. This doesn't get as repetitive as you might imagine because they try and vary up the encounters, even though structurally it's basically identical. This week: gravity control, which is massively overpowered!

Also, last week we saw that blue-haired kid at school again. They've been teasing him for about twenty episodes now and he's still only been in scenes lasting about five seconds. He's got "mysteriously powerful background character who will one day be revealed" written all over his face.

Sekirei Pure Engagement 5

lol at Minato getting all bent out of shape over adding a man to his harem.

Interesting though that Kagari really is a bent gender man and not a woman that was pretending to be a man. All this time I was thinking "why not just let the dude wing you" when his reluctance was totally justified. Definitely not something you see in a harem show too often.

Looks like next ep will be a wham episode, what with every single relevant character meeting up in the same place and all.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
[C] 7 - Wasn't really feeling this, having some backstory on the best character in the show was pretty sweet, but his story felt pretty typical of the genre, although it was by far the best part of the episode, as the stuff that followed up after it wasn't as good, and was somewhat creepy to boot! the very end was actually pretty interesting, but it ended so abruptly!

Speaking of which going from Mononoke to this was pretty jarring, what happened to you nakamura, you used to be awesome!

Branduil

[C]- 07

You know, the more I think about it, there's a big problem with this show. Yoga basically get everything handed to him without having to work for it. He gets into the financial district randomly. He has a really strong asset for some reason.
And of course the magical girlfriend, since in real life he's just a friend-zoned loser.
Not a crippling problem necessarily but it seems like it should be addressed.

Instro

Branduil said:
[C]- 07

You know, the more I think about it, there's a big problem with this show. Yoga basically get everything handed to him without having to work for it. He gets into the financial district randomly. He has a really strong asset for some reason.
And of course the magical girlfriend, since in real life he's just a friend-zoned loser.

I was thinking that it would have to do with his future being very important or something? Would explain why is asset is so powerful anyway.

Jex

Branduil said:
[C]- 07

I have a feeling it's going to get addressed.
Lafiel said:
[C] 7 - Wasn't really feeling this, having some backstory on the best character in the show was pretty sweet, but his story felt pretty typical of the genre, although it was by far the best part of the episode, as the stuff that followed up after it wasn't as good, and was somewhat creepy to boot! the very end was actually pretty interesting, but it ended so abruptly!
I actually thought that stuff was interesting because it was so creepy. I'm glad they didn't shy away from making her a magical girlfriend because that's basically what she was anyway. They didn't pretend!

Also, what makes sisters so fragile in anime? They're always getting kidnapped, abused, sold, imprisoned or struck down with some kind of incurable (or curable but expensive) ailment. Even it totally awesome shows like Cowboy Bebop.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
I have a feeling it's going to get addressed.

I actually thought that stuff was interesting because it was so creepy. I'm glad they didn't shy away from making her a magical girlfriend because that's basically what she was anyway. They didn't pretend!

Also, what makes sisters so fragile in anime? They're always getting kidnapped, abused, sold, imprisoned or struck down with some kind of incurable (or curable but expensive) ailment. Even it totally awesome shows like Cowboy Bebop.
[C] sure plays it pretty straight.
Just look at the dead little sister page on TVTropes:

"Sometimes he'll get his own Morality Pet which reminds him of his Dead Little Sister, which may touch upon the theme of a Replacement Goldfish. If the little sister was also a Living Emotional Crutch, this "new crutch" may provide the needed emotional stability to become The Atoner. "

Although apparently his little sister is just comatose.

The same disease seems to afflict mothers a lot as well. Even Miyazaki did this one!

Hela

Denpa 01
I like me some weird, but this didn't grab my attention even one bit. I'll give the second episode a chance, but I don't expect I'll be watching any more of this.

zeroshiki

C - 07

Probably my favorite episode of C so far. It gave us some, albeit cliched, background on Mikuni and dropped hints as to how these asset things work. Add to that seeing the world from Msyu's eyes and it was a very compelling episode.

What ARE the assets anyway? These things are almost never explained in other shows and C does a good job of turning the focus onto itself and asking these basic questions that most shows don't bother addressing.

Overall, I'm kinda excited for the next episode. I hope this series has a good payoff.

Steroyd

C - 07

First half was cliche'd as heck, and if the translation was accurate felt like a semi-cop out although it would explain why Mikuni's asset looks the way it does.

Second half - Dat asset?

Lain

AnoHana 7 was good.
Menma keeps being the best, Anaru is still a bit lame and Jintan is slowly building up his cool dude points.
Poppo needs to have a little more space to do his thing though.

Jex

Vampire Princess Miyu 6

Oh, so you can have an episode where
no one is horrifically killed/trapped in statues. Well, apart from the Shinma, but that Shinma was being a total dick.

Miyu's friends were rather laughingly nonplussed by the whole doppelgänger situation. "There's probably a rational explanation for it." Whatever you say girl!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom