• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

iavi

lazybones18 said:
Is Durarara!! any good?

Adult Swim is gonna air the series in June

Wow, that's actually pretty cool. Yeah, it's good. The show doesn't exactly resolve much, but the journey is fun.

Jex

lazybones18 said:
Is Durarara!! any good?

Nope. It's okay, in a time where most shows are terrible, so I can understand why people get confused.

mAcOdIn

So......
Revolutionary Girl Utena 1

Not sure what the hell I'm watching here, this girl wants to be a Prince but not really be a guy, kinda weird, guess she likes the gender role more-so than the genre? So far though there's been more slapping in one episode than everything I've watched this season but I find it hard to really care about Anthy. I know I'm working backwards, lol obviously, but this setup feels so much like Star Driver but hopefully after a couple more episodes I don't feel the execution of the premise is the same. Video quality wise though, man this takes me back, it may be a remaster but it sure as fuck does look like a VHS/Laserdisc lol. Audio wise anything without vocals is pretty good and anything with vocals is pretty, umm, not good.

Go_Ly_Dow

lazybones18 said:
Is Durarara!! any good?

Baccano is better.

If you haven't seen it then watch Durarara first. You'll only be disappointed the other way round!

Lovely Complex 12

Here's a great example of the character progression that happens in this show:
Otani basically rejects Koizumi again by denying her chocolate, but instead of running away and crying like she did the first time she was rejected, she runs back to him and throws the box of chocolate in his face! Awesome. It's also probably because once you've been rejected once, you have nothing more to lose.

Lovely Complex 13

Koizumi has found the secret to love.
Keep Otani in a feverish state all the time and he'll be more than happy to kiss her.

M_Night said:
Baccano is better.

If you haven't seen it then watch Durarara first. You'll only be disappointed the other way round!

Baccano is better, but I watched Durarara afterwards and I wasn't disappointed. They're a fun cast of characters in their own right.

M_Night said:
Baccano is better.

Well I ordered Baccano from Amazon a few days ago, so I should be watching it real soon

Jex

Sherlock Hound 4

Still awesome, but for different reasons than last week. It turns out these 'villains' are actually kind of soft, which shouldn't be too surprising considering that Miyzaki often has baddies that aren't just "bad people doing bad things". Of course, this show is also light-hearted in general so such characteristics are not surprising but Moriarty goes all the way from a cackling 30's villain to a slightly ruffled gentleman within the stretch of a single episode, with humorous results.

Been watching Hanasaku Iroha and must say I am surprised at how nice it is. However I like the first half more than the last episodes. But it definitely is better than Kuragehime for me. So it is nice to get a nice light hearted drama fix. Reminds me I should watch Spice and Wolf season 2, never got that far.

Dresden

Weekly Oricon DVD & Blu-ray Rankings for May 16 - 22
DVD
*1, 1,878 *,**1,878 Heartcatch Precure! vol.16
*2, 1,743 *,**1,743 Heartcatch Precure! vol.15
*3, 1,216 *,*11,520 Hakuouki Hekketsuroku vol.5 Limited Edition
*4, *,952 *,***,952 Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas - Meiou Shinwa 2 vol.4
*5, *,714 *,*21,388 Naruto: Shippuuden Movie 4 - The Lost Tower Limited Edition
*6, *,657 1,072,063 My Neighbor Totoro
*7, *,624 *,*60,121 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.3
*8, *,602 *,**6,146 Kimi ni Todoke 2nd Season vol.3

Blu-ray
*1, 2,078 **2,078 Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari Blu-ray Box
*2, 1,572 **1,572 Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru vol.5
*3, *,835 *60,087 Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica vol.1 Limited Edition
*4, *,691 104,134 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.3
*5, *,598 ***,598 Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas - Meiou Shinwa 2 vol.4
*6, *,264 **2,627 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai vol.4 Limited Edition
*7, *,263 *17,591 Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai vol.5 Limited Edition
*8, *,260 111,913 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.1
*9, *,254 111,893 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.2

Lain

Jexhius said:
Nope. It's okay, in a time where most shows are terrible, so I can understand why people get confused.
I agree.

HanaIro 8
Best show keeps being the best.
Ohana is going to save the day once again while everyone else just does stupid things.
Also, Kanako went up in my "characters I hate the most" ranking, getting close to Minchi. It's the way she talks and all the english she inserts in her phrases. And that finger.
Now, if only Ko could get a broken heart next episode, the show would just exceed my expectations.

wsippel

Banned
[C] 07

Pretty cool episode, especially the second half.

Hidan no Aria 07

It is what it is. Stilll don't like the character design, moe simply isn't my cup of tea. But it is kinda funny.

Mnemosyne 1 & 2

Yeah, I don't know. It's by no means bad, but really, really weird. Some of the stuff is borderline guro, but not really frightening for some reason.

Seikon no Qwaser 1

Wat. Just... wat. Seems well made and all, but even shit like Queen's Blade looks rather tame in comparison.

Dresden said:
Weekly Oricon DVD & Blu-ray Rankings for May 16 - 22
DVD
*1, 1,878 *,**1,878 Heartcatch Precure! vol.16
*2, 1,743 *,**1,743 Heartcatch Precure! vol.15
*3, 1,216 *,*11,520 Hakuouki Hekketsuroku vol.5 Limited Edition
*4, *,952 *,***,952 Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas - Meiou Shinwa 2 vol.4
*5, *,714 *,*21,388 Naruto: Shippuuden Movie 4 - The Lost Tower Limited Edition
*6, *,657 1,072,063 My Neighbor Totoro
*7, *,624 *,*60,121 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.3
*8, *,602 *,**6,146 Kimi ni Todoke 2nd Season vol.3

Blu-ray
*1, 2,078 **2,078 Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari Blu-ray Box
*2, 1,572 **1,572 Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru vol.5
*3, *,835 *60,087 Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica vol.1 Limited Edition
*4, *,691 104,134 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.3
*5, *,598 ***,598 Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas - Meiou Shinwa 2 vol.4
*6, *,264 **2,627 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai vol.4 Limited Edition
*7, *,263 *17,591 Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai vol.5 Limited Edition
*8, *,260 111,913 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.1
*9, *,254 111,893 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.2

All I see here is Gundam being Gundam. It's embarrassing all the other animes in terms of sales.

I love how somebody knows the cumulative lifetime sales of My Neighbor Totoro and it makes the list. It's like those fucking Wii games that will be in the Top 10 NPDs forever and ever.

Prince of Tennis 13

There's no rule against diving up the court? Seems to completely defeat the purpose of doubles.

Anyway, when does the crazy over the top stuff start happening? I'm still enjoying it, but I'm curious.

trejo

Tiger & Bunny 7-8

A good set of episodes and they did a great job of introducing a main villain.

Also, dat bromance. Bromance everywhere.

trejo

C 6

I was hesitant on this one because of other people's impressions but knowing what to expect beforehand did help. All in all, a decent episode even though it could have been handled better.

C 7

Seriously, what is it with anime and little sisters?

This episode made me realize how boring Kimimaro is as a character, and yet everyone in the world apparently sees something in him that I don't. Also, dat asset. Just imagine the amount of doujins being thought up right now.

One thing that I've come to accept about this show is that, while still good, Mononoke it sure ain't. I'm still looking forward to it but now I know to keep my expectations in check.

firehawk12 said:
For Trejo: anyone read the final chapter of Becoming a Girl?
You mean the epilogue? It was nice.

ohgodwhathaveibecome.

Quacking

mAcOdIn said:
So......
Revolutionary Girl Utena 1

Not sure what the hell I'm watching here, this girl wants to be a Prince but not really be a guy, kinda weird, guess she likes the gender role more-so than the genre? So far though there's been more slapping in one episode than everything I've watched this season but I find it hard to really care about Anthy. I know I'm working backwards, lol obviously, but this setup feels so much like Star Driver but hopefully after a couple more episodes I don't feel the execution of the premise is the same. Video quality wise though, man this takes me back, it may be a remaster but it sure as fuck does look like a VHS/Laserdisc lol. Audio wise anything without vocals is pretty good and anything with vocals is pretty, umm, not good.
Utena is great, nothing to do with Star Driver to me, really. Two different planets.

I've watched from the 2 to the 5 episodes of Nichijou before, It is so awesome, I love all the nosense of the whole show. I laughted so hard, must watch.

firehawk12 said:
For Trejo: anyone read the final chapter of Becoming a Girl?

the epilogue was ok and that last scene was interesting.

Quacking said:
Utena is great, nothing to do with Star Driver to me, really. Two different planets.

I've watched from the 2 to the 5 episodes of Nichijou before, It is so awesome, I love all the nosense of the whole show. I laughted so hard, must watch.

The circumstances for battle in both are really similar so i can see why he compared them.

Plus the comparison was mentioned several times in the thread during the early part of SD's run (in hope it would be of Utena's quality)

Decado

firehawk12 said:
Someone up thread was able to find it in a specialty store... so, maybe you'll get lucky?
Again...all signs point to "over priced", even if I could fine it (Vancouver isn't exactly a hot spot for anime...which I'm in many ways thankful for, now that I think about it).

flawfuls

Bungaku Shoujo Movie

The OVA's were meh, but the actual film is excellent. I really like this franchise, it's a shame the whole series isn't going to be adapted. The movie stands on it's own quite well though. It's easily one of the best light novel based anime I've seen.

The crazy childhood fried was such an amazing troll. She is clearly well versed in moe to know that
pretending to be a person who can't move her arms or legs and thinks she is still in elementary school
is the fastest way to any man's heart. The way she got outed was also pretty amazing.
The tsundere girl just burst into the room, dumps a bucket of water on her and then starts viciously slapping her until she reacts.
For a series where most important facts about characters get revealed through convoluted literary analysis it was hilariously straightforward.

zeroshiki

flawfuls said:
Bungaku Shoujo Movie

The OVA's were meh, but the actual film is excellent. I really like this franchise, it's a shame the whole series isn't going to be adapted. The movie stands on it's own quite well though. It's easily one of the best light novel based anime I've seen.

The crazy childhood fried was such an amazing troll. She is clearly well versed in moe to know that
pretending to be a person who can't move her arms or legs and thinks she is still in elementary school
is the fastest way to any man's heart. The way she got outed was also pretty amazing.
The tsundere girl just burst into the room, dumps a bucket of water on her and then starts viciously slapping her until she reacts.
For a series where most important facts about characters get revealed through convoluted literary analysis it was hilariously straightforward.

Miu was so fucking annoying especially in contrast to Touko. Konoha was such a stupid idiot for getting so hung up on that manipulative bitch.

Solune

Decado said:
Again...all signs point to "over priced", even if I could fine it (Vancouver isn't exactly a hot spot for anime...which I'm in many ways thankful for, now that I think about it).
If you're in Vancouver, hit up Sakura Media @ Metro or Richmond. If you go to Metro ask for Uway, he might be able to hook you up ; ). That's assuming they still have stock though. I got it for a little over MSRP but, it's reasonable when they have the no tax promotion on.

Lain

zeroshiki said:
Miu was so fucking annoying especially in contrast to Touko. Konoha was such a stupid idiot for getting so hung up on that manipulative bitch.
Word.
Yet, I still felt some sympathy for her. Weird.

zeroshiki

Lain said:
Word.
Yet, I still felt some sympathy for her. Weird.

Probably because she was so pathetic and desperate to hang on to Konoha that she did stupid shit like jumping off buildings, trying to get hit by cars, acting paralyzed, etc

Oh man, now that I've said all this, I'd feel bad for someone mentally challenged too ;_;

flawfuls

zeroshiki said:
Probably because she was so pathetic and desperate to hang on to Konoha that she did stupid shit like jumping off buildings, trying to get hit by cars, acting paralyzed, etc

Oh man, now that I've said all this, I'd feel bad for someone mentally challenged too ;_;

One has to respect her dedication. To be honest I was kind of cheering her on.

trejo

The Weathering Continent

Boys is such a deep thinker.

This was pretty to look at but rather inconsequential, overall. Still, nice effort.

It also reminded me we don't get that many fantasy animus anymore nowadays, which is a shame.

zeroshiki

trejo said:
The Weathering Continent

Boys is such a deep thinker.

This was pretty to look at but rather inconsequential, overall. Still, nice effort.

It also reminded me we don't get that many fantasy animus anymore nowadays, which is a shame.

Sacred Blacksmith? :lol

They should adapt the Weathered Continent. I'd watch it.

Jex

The Weathering Continent

I don't feel like this was bad from a direction side, but it did completely fail to interest me in the characters or their plight so that's a fairly serious problem.
Quacking said:
Star Driver will always be better because it has mecha.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
The Weathering Continent

I don't feel like this was bad from a direction side, but it did completely fail to interest me in the characters or their plight so that's a fairly serious problem.

Well it's kind of hard to be interested in the random side adventure of stock archetypes. The plot did nothing to make the characters stand out.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Jexhius said:
Even more issues then you had expected?
I was kinda expecting that Rei had been in some past tryst, but her sister? Damn.

Oh yeah, gotta love it when Miya drops pleasantries. Flowers turn into ice picks.

Jex

Hitokage said:
Oh yeah, gotta love it when Miya drops pleasantries. Flowers turn to ice picks.
Miya is the best final boss, she makes all the regularly bitchy girls look positively friendly.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

X-Men 8

More wacky adventures of the X-Men fighting....crazy sci-fi monsters? The show still holds together as an entertaining action piece because the direction/animation side is keeping things interesting. The SFX animators are having a lot of fun drawing Cyclops lazer.

Kino's Journey: Country of Illness (Kino OVA 2) - This is a half hour standalone Kino OVA, and the most recent one so far. As with everything Kino, it was fantastic... it told an interesting and disturbing story, it had a good beginning, middle, and end, we learned about an interesting place, and more. Kino's Journey is one of my all-time favorite animes, only behind Lain and Haibane Renmei in my list, but I hadn't watched the OVAs for some reason... whatever it was it was stupid because it's great, of course (not that I expected anything different).

The situation, with a country where there is a terrible illness that they are secretly testing medicine that might stop it on live (unwilling) human subjects who die as a result, is interesting... if that is the only way to save them all, is there any way that could be called moral? Obviously my first thought is 'clearly not', and that government knows it would not be popular because they keep it secret, but that disease has to be stopped somehow. It'd be good if they could come up with some better way...

So yeah, good, interesting scenario. The place itself was a fairly generic modern-style city (in a dome), which wasn't anything special really except that there'd been nothing like it in the show before from what I remember. The writing is as good as ever for the franchise. This episode is mostly serious, but both the more serious and funnier parts of the episode are done well -- Hermes trying to talk to that other motorcyle, and it not responding, was amusing for instance. :)

I could tell that this was by a different studio, though -- the art design and writing are a bit different. I think the style of the TV series is better, but still it looks more than good enough to work.
Kino did get a bit involved, though, almost to an 'out of character' degree... she didn't end up actually intervening to change anything in that city, though, so it didn't quite reach that level. But she did do some thing for that girl. I guess she'd done things for people before though, but as a traveller Kino's usually just observing. Events forced a bit more here I guess; it was a little strange, but as I've said ultimately it worked.

I was left wondering about the ending, though... did Kino kill the man in their fight and then write the letter to the girl, or did she just hurt him or something and then he wrote it? There's no way to know. I know it's intended to end a mystery, and it works that well that way, but it's a bit frustrating, I want to know... Oh well. :)

So, overall, it is outstanding of course! A worthy Kino's Jouney episode.

The Weathering Continent (the translated Japanese title is The Wind Continent; I think that title might fit this better than the official one.) This is an early '90s one-hour movie, and I thought it was pretty good. I'd never heard of it before today, but it's great that it was mentioned as something to watch, because I really liked it.

The Weathering Continent is a fantasy anime, Western fantasy (D&D) inspired with a mix of some Japanese themes. It is set on a continent in the Atlantic Ocean that once had a great civilization on it but that now has suffered great natural disasters and is collapsing. Sounds like Atlantis, but they don't use the word for some reason. Apparently this is based on a long novel (or something) series, but in this film it just serves as an excuse for a post-apocalyptic style fantasy anime series, about people exploring a desert ruin of what once was a great civilization as they continue their quest to find people and precious water.

The three characters include a warrior guy, named Boys or Voys or something (kind of odd), who seems to like poetry and history as much or more than he does fighting, a girl fighter dressing as a boy (it's obvious that she's a girl, but she dresses like a boy), and a long-haired priest man with bishounen-ish looks who is opposed to violence. In fact some enemies apparently confuse him for a girl, unless the dub is messed up. :) The story is about the adventure these three have in an underground tomb, a city of the dead for a lost city above. After watching a girl die of starvation on the surface, our heroes fall into the underground city. There they face evil bandits and the spirits of the dead people entombed in the city. The movie has a somewhat slow pace at times, has only a moderate amount of action, and doesn't have some grand threat to the world the heroes need to kill or anything like that; instead, it's just a single adventure in these characters' journeys. It works great; indeed, my only complaint about that is that I wish there were more of this because this is very well done and I'd really like to see more of the adventures of these characters. It's too bad that this is the only anime based on this series. :(

The random mixture of some Japanese elements into this supposedly Western setting -- the floating lights as a symbol of memory for the dead, the cutting off of the hair as an important, meaningful action, etc -- was a little silly, but the Japanese often insert some bits of Japanese culture into "Western" fantasy series they make, so that kind of thing is expected. I don't really mind, those things make sense to the audience after all and fantasy is mostly a reflection of the culture making it, after all, more than it is anything authentically medieval. So it's a little odd, but not too bad. I guess I'm used to this kind of thing by now... maybe Sora no Woto innured me to this stuff? :)

There are some interesting things in the plot in this movie... first, the heroes don't really fight the bandits; instead the masks (the spirits of those that lived in this city before) kill all of the bandits. Then there is an encounter between the characters and the masks, though, so there is a climactic encounter in this film before the end. It's just an interesting one done as much in words as it is in fighting. Fortunately the show is good at both.

The girl character's backstory, of taking on her current journey because she rejected her village's demands and didn't want to have to keep being what she was, was interesting even if I missed some bits of it (some kind of religious or political figure in her village, I think? I'd need to watch it again, I'm not quite sure; it is clear though that at the end she cut off her hair and said that she wouldn't act like a girl anymore, because she didn't want to do what they wanted.). She is, I assume, the main character; the movie often focused on her and her conversation with a spirit of the woman she could have been (and could be, if she accepted their offer of death followed by an eternal happiness in their afterlife in the city) and with the spirit of the girl was the climactic part of the episode. The other two characters were interesting, good characters as well. The warrior guy was much better spoken and more knowledgeable than you usually see from such characters. He knew some things about the lost city and its inhabitants, for instance. A refreshing change indeed from the usual for his type, he made some decent points. The priest guy trying to reason with the bandit gang was kind of silly, though -- no, these guys aren't going to listen to your "no really, we shouldn't fight!" speech. :) He probably had a slightly less role in this than the other two characters, even if he was still important. He also really doesn't fight at all, which was interesting; his efforts were magical and verbal, not violent. Somewhat unique, there.

And then, in the end, after escaping from the city of the dead and finding some water, our heroes... end up right next to where they started. :lol
Overall, I liked it. I love D&D of course, and fantasy, and this is good, solid fantasy anime, of a style you rarely see either now or then. Maybe even less common now than it was then, but still even then it usually wasn't quite like this, I think. If so that's kind of too bad, because it was pretty good and interesting.

Softenni 03-05 - Why did I watch one more episode of this... and then why did I watch two more? This show is awful. Awful awful stupidity. It is moderately amusing sometimes, though, which is why I watched, beyond "I like watching bad shows sometimes" stupidity. It was amusing often enough for me to keep going. In contrast, see the next one for something that wasn't.

A-Channel 03 - This show is just bad... bad bad generic tedious boredom. I need to drop this again... Bad show! It's not funny, it's boring, it's somewhat messed up, and more. If I want to watch a stupid, fanservicey bad show this season, Softenni is a better choice for sure. It's also bad, certainly, but at least it isn't nearly as dull.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Jexhius said:
Miya is the best final boss, she makes all the regularly bitchy girls look positively friendly.
She's also decidedly on top of things. It certainly feels like it's no accident why she's in her position.

Sekirei: Pure Engagement 9

Ah hell, Uzume finally makes her move. This should shake things up a bit.

Surprised it took so long to find an ashikabi that mistreats his sekirei. In a series like this, you'd expect guys like that to be amongst the first enemies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom