• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

I think this post from the most recent Hyrule Warriors thread sums up the new info quite nicely:
gal_73.jpg

gal_64.jpg

YXIAEAD.jpg
Between this and Bayo 2 I guess I'm going to have to find a Wii U system by late fall.

Jarmel

Banned
New Dominion Tank Police 3-
Oh hey, this reminds me of something:
Funnily enough, they both came out around the same time. Anyway this was a really straight forward episode for the most part although it ties into the larger conspiracy angle that the show has been building towards. This is so much better than OG Dominion. The humor works so much better here as it flows much more naturally and feels less 'tryhard' compared to the zany stuff in Dominion.
I also think this was a much stronger episode compared to 2 as it still maintains that light-hearted tone even when the stakes are really high. The show is at its best when its just having fun and doing stupid shit.
One area, I really got to give props to is the voice acting, mainly Leona's VA. Rei Sakuma is so much better than Leona's old VA. She captures Leona's whiny moments so well but also that fierce aspect of Leona. I love the way she says "Chief". Sakuma really brings a lot of life to Leona's character that I would say didn't exist before.
http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/04d748bb193bd005b11a423b0faf9a44.webm
So yea this episode didn't have as much sakuga as I had hope but holy shit that sakuga cut above is super good. It captures the bouncy speed of Bonaparte really well. Those dirt effects are so good. They also use this jazz piece during Bonaparte's bit and it reminded me of some old school stuff.
iGTg6QM74LMwG.jpg

Look at this majestic motherfucker.
I'm really enjoying all of this much more than I expected after how crappy OG Dominion got. This so far has captured the fun from the original series while at the same time adding some stakes but not losing the tone completely like Dominion did.

Articalys

I have to admit though, the "no voiced dialogue" rule of Zelda games does ever so marginally damper my excitement. Then again, I've never played a Musou game before in my life, so it's not like I have anything to compare it to; it just seems like it would be nicer if I didn't have to keep reading the subtitles mid-battle.

mankoto

The iDOLM@STER 20-26 END
This series was really good. Almost everything about it was better than what Love Live could provide (although given the choice I'd still watch Love Live). I honestly might pick up some of the music too even though it might only the OPs.

I still wonder how the show could've gone if they continued with the 1st person view going off of episode one.
I'm pretty sure I'd die every time Miki ran up to the producer saying "honey"

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Knights of Sidonia 12

2d:
1296395916208_zps0b2109ce.gif

3d:
aCw3KVKl.jpg

Something is lost in the CG transition.

I keep saying that I like this show in spite of itself and it's still true after the first cour/season/whatever is all said and done. It's tropey as hell, but like Attack on Titan, it believes that it is more than the sum of its parts and tries to play everything seriously. Even the fact that one of the characters is a giant bear with a robotic arm. If Space Dandy is on the Space Balls end of the syfy spectrum, then Sidonia is veering close to Battlestar Galactica and Space Baghdad Harem Jesus. The anime will have your typical anime beats, but all the authority figures try to speak with the fake gravitas that is really unearned - especially since the main authority figure hides behind a mask and you don't really know anything about her - and Tanikaze is your super earnest shounen protag who just wants to help everyone and protect his home that he loves. Throw in the extremely lazy shocking deaths that the show tries to pull - and this is something that both Brynhildr AND Black Bullet have done this season as well - and you get a text that is trying to tell a story that the genre is not equipped to tell.

It's like as if Adam Sandler starred in a Holocaust movie directed by the Farrelly brothers. Okay, maybe not that extreme, but close enough. If you want to do your dumb harem anime, then just embrace the fact that you have a dumb harem anime... don't try to be Yamato 2199 when that's clearly not the audience that you're trying to reach.

That said, if nothing else, I respect that the manga/anime gets rid of the one big mystery of the show fairly quickly and doesn't try to drag that shit along for 26+ episodes. While Eren is still trying to find his fucking basement, Tanikaze's past and his abilities are revealed - by anime syfy bullshit standards - pretty quickly. The author realized the gimmick wasn't that interesting, so they showed their cards and moved on to the next mystery. In fact, it's like they took the stupid Starbuck arc that went nowhere in BSG and told it in ten twenty-minute episodes. :p

(It's telling that even now, the only long "mystery" character arc in science fiction that has ever paid off is Sinclair and his "hole in his mind" from Babylon 5. Everything else I can think of at the moment, from Desmond being the Constant, to Starbuck being the Angel, to even Sisko being The Prophet, ultimately ended up going nowhere.)

But despite the fact that I intellectually know that the show is sort of middling, I can't help but like the show because of my weird fetish for military science fiction. I kept watching BSG even though I hated it because once every five episodes Starbuck would fly a Viper and shoot down some Cylon Raiders. And this is exactly what Sidonia does as well, with the cast flying what are essentially mechs that are fighter jets into combat. Hell, the finale was basically the Battle of Endor, with the crew flying into the heart of a "Death Planet" to destroy the "Core" before flying out in a daring escape. Short of a new Macross series, I feel like this show is as close as I'll get to seeing a legit space dogfight in any real capacity... even Yamato gave up on showing fighter jets and focused exclusively on capship battles.

So I don't know... if there was a rich variety of science fiction options, I probably wouldn't watch this show. But since we live in 2014 and science fiction is pretty much limited to shitty Transformers and Marvel movies, this is basically the best I'll get for a while. Hell, I'm actually going to watch Guardians of the Galaxy because of how starved I am for some classic science fiction space opera storytelling... and god knows that I'll be watching Star Wars 7 even though I know I will hate every second of it. lol

So thanks for existing Sidonia. Until the Yamato cash cow starts up again, you'll be the one show to tide me over and give me my space-based science fiction fix. I figure if you're watching this show, you have to be in the same boat as I am... and heck, I welcome the company.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
alright I just brought shovel knight and with my ddp points, I also just bought earthbound, a good day.

Soma

Knights of Sidonia 12
I like to give Nagate a pass because he is kinda likeable unlike a lot of other protagonists. I also appreciate the reasoning for his level of skill isn't so much some anime hidden power bullshit but it's basically: the guy just simply trained his ass off for most of his life underground. I unintentionally dropped the anime in favor of just catching up on the manga (which is honestly better all things considered) but if you're that desperate to find a sci-fi anime to watch well then more power to you. Hope you're excited for more harem hijinks in S2!

That said though, I definitely feel that this is Tsutomu Nihei's weakest work. I'm a big fan of his but storytelling and dialogue isn't something he's especially great at. His greatest strength is building a very specific atmosphere with some really interesting settings . I honestly feel that he's nearly unmatched in that type of thing and when you have next to none of that in a series like Sidonia, it definitely highlights his weaknesses. The lack of detail in the art direction for Sidonia compared to his other works is kind of a bummer too.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
So say you had Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Fullmetal Alchemist, Baccano!, NGE, Black Lagoon and Outlaw Star and hadn't watched any of them, what would you watch first?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It will be same even it's 2D though,anime just follow the manga art style well
I feel like the lips would at least be more exaggerated, for the animu effect it was trying to replicate. lol

I like to give Nagate a pass because he is kinda likeable unlike a lot of other protagonists. I also appreciate the reasoning for his level of skill isn't so much some anime hidden power bullshit but it's basically: the guy just simply trained his ass off for most of his life underground. I unintentionally dropped the anime in favor of just catching up on the manga (which is honestly better all things considered) but if you're that desperate to find a sci-fi anime to watch well then more power to you. Hope you're excited for more harem hijinks in S2!

That said though, I definitely feel that this is Tsutomu Nihei's weakest work. I'm a big fan of his but storytelling and dialogue isn't something he's especially great at. His greatest strength is building a very specific atmosphere with some really interesting settings . I honestly feel that he's nearly unmatched in that type of thing and when you have next to none of that in a series like Sidonia, it definitely highlights his weaknesses. The lack of detail in the art direction for Sidonia compared to his other works is kind of a bummer too.
I've skimmed forward in the manga myself, so I know the hilarity that will happen soon. More shocking twists and more waifus for him to waifu. lol

I don't know if Nagate necessarily has any kind of personality though. He's like a less annoying Eren, simply because he just overreacts to situations instead of melodramatically overreacting like Eren.
Then again, to be fair, the only shounen protag that I think is good is Gintoki from Gintama... so when the bar is that high, why even bother making that comparison.

I'm not familiar with Nihei's work though, but I'm not sure if Sidonia necessarily inspires any confidence in me in terms of wanting to check out his other stuff. It's not that it's bad... 15 year old me probably would have loved this, the same way that kids like the Star Wars prequels. But it's also not that great either. lol

So say you had Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Fullmetal Alchemist, Baccano!, NGE, Black Lagoon and Outlaw Star and hadn't watched any of them, what would you watch first?
Knowing only FMA:B and NGE... I would say FMA:B unless you are willing to go deep with Evangelion.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I have both series but I meant the original FMA. Guess I better put a seatbelt around my brain and watch NGE.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Bought Shovel Knight on my WiiU with leftover credit (yay Digital Deluxe!). Played the first level, and yes, it is really good!

Oh, and gotta say, love off-screen play.

digital deluxe ftw, I just straight up downloaded earthbound with like no effort, that's magical .

phaze

I have both series but I meant the original FMA. Guess I better put a seatbelt around my brain and watch NGE.

Do you have End of Evangelion movie ? I'd say there's a high likelihood of TV series ending disappointing you. EoE would fix that.

Didn't see LGH or Os but Baccano is a good, light and short watch.

Jojo's Bizzare Adventure 21

I could swear it was earlier said that
the girl saved from the ship married Jojo's son/father. But maybe it wasn't said to him as he displayed no reaction. Bad baaaad mother if so.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
alright I just brought shovel knight and with my ddp points, I also just bought earthbound, a good day.
Hey, I just noticed I got my first £5 off voucher. Managed to hit 500 points exact so that basically means I'm the best person in the world (again).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom